RELIGION

RELIGION

A Poem by Ellen Hammond

 

RELIGION

 

 

"Judge not lest ye be judged"

 

The Bible says so clear

 

So why do so many

 

Put you down, my dear?

 

 

They say you are sinful

 

Your lifestyle needs to go

 

You must walk the pathway

 

Which they dictate, you know

 

 

Don't dare wear that earring!

 

Cut your hair!  Change your clothes!

 

Do this, but don't do that

 

On and on their list grows

 

 

Are these religious rules

 

They like to preach and shout

 

What being a Christian

 

Is really all about?

 

 

Webster says religion

 

Is man's attempt to win

 

Acceptance from his God

 

Deliverance from sin

 

 

But faith in our savior

 

Works the other way around

 

Because God so loved us

 

To the cross Christ was bound

 

 

We accept or reject

 

What Jesus did for us

 

His gift of redemption

 

Should cause joy, not a fuss

 

 

But man takes the simple

 

And complicates it so

 

Expecting perfection

 

So heaven bound we'll go

 

 

Yet Jesus left one law

 

Before He rose above

 

Not rituals or rules

 

But live a life of love

 

© 2010 Ellen Hammond


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hello Ellen, I agree with you a 100%. I went to Catholic school, never told that God loved me, the Nuns were telling us don't do this or don't do that, or you will go to hell. I stray from religion, my faith is much stronger since. I have a direct connection with our Maker, not water down by religion, when their priority is to feel their pockets, making changes only to benefit them, have no respect or recognition for each other. Forget that we are all children of God and brothers and sisters. Thank you so much for your beautiful poem and for sharing with us. God Bless

Your friend and sister in God...Annie

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

That's what I call hitting the nail on the head! Great write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I have refrained from church for a few years now; not because I am not a believer, but because of the hypocrisy of it all. Tithing is a 'rule' but to what extent?
I'm thinking it lines many more pockets than supposed to. Have you ever sat
in a pew and felt all eyes upon you? Why? Judging one another goes against
all of God's teachings. No, perfect I am not. Yet I know a hypocrite when I
feel one! I find Nature is my church.
This is a fantastic write, full of truth! AMEN

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ZANG! I love this. Not ten minutes ago I just said this to my visiting brother. It's not the quatity of years given but quality. Love is the foundation of all that is good and pure in life. I truly believe in GOD. This truly touches my heart and I THANK YOU for sharing it with me and others. GOD BLESS.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Today's Subject: "How To Condense The Full Wisdom Of Three Thousand Years And Sixty-six Books Into Two Minutes And Thirty-six Lines!"
Paradoxically, though, it is even the hypocrites who lead us to God, as teaching by demonstrating what NOT to do can be MORE effective than teaching by showing what TO do! God has never given up on a single one of us, it is we who have given up on God! But, even as with Job, our Enemy's best efforts merely delay our arrival, and make us stronger steel, having arrived; even as with Daniel, no fiery furnace can destroy our faith, as long as we allow God's love to embrace us; even as with Paul, a season of blindness may be required to see the truth!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful and insightful piece. You say it so clearly. It does not matter what you choose to wear or how you do your hair. Anything given the right circumstances would be considered sinful. God does not judge our clothes. jewelry or makeup. He judges our nakedness. What is there once all the trappings of life are removed. Did God not create us naked and man was the one that made it sinful. I am not saying it is right to strip your clothes off and do a wiggle dance. But the body is nothing but a house for the soul. Like all houses, some look better than others. Sorry, had to slip that in. Jesus gave all so that we could have it all. Man just wants to twist it to a control issue. How many straight laced can't wear this or that and don't cut your hair, bigots , turn around and beat the heck out of their spouse or dress so prim and act so proper until they are in the right situation and the true person emerges. A lot is hidden by religion. I will take mine under the tree with a few people that have the faith in God that does not require my money for a large building or my giving up everything in life that gives a little pleasure or good feeling. You say it so well with this work! "Judge not lest ye be judged"..."Do not hang millstones"....Love this piece, so thought provoking.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awesome and inspiring words! In this world we live in it is very difficult to have "un-conditional" love for your fellow human being let alone accept them for who and what they are! One time I went into the mountains to be away from humanity and I had stayed there for 12 years of my life. I had learned many things and the most important is I knew the Creator loves me even if I make mistakes. Those mistakes turned into lessons and made me what I am today! The by-product of this life style was I proved to my relatives you can live and survive in the wild and be quite comfortable. Living on a prayer one of my nephews said to me.
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I believe all you have written here. just as we discussed earlier. You make it so very clear ....if only others would take heed. Thank you so much for this wonderful piece.
BBXX

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I have a hard time with any organized religion... always telling us what to do based on their interpretations of the bible... I find I can worship without direction simply by holding Gods love in my heart. I am in total agreement to this wonderful write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

wouldn't we all be surprised if Jesus was to come back, not dressed in flowing white robes with a glowing light behind His head, but more like one like those you describe in this poem. What if he befriended prostitutes and sinners and loved the unlovable? What if He went to the wrong places and ate with the wrong people?

Oh no, He will come back looking and acting just like we are told He will... or will He?

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

So very well said. Well written simple message. Good writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

965 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 16, 2009
Last Updated on January 31, 2010

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing