High School Reunion

High School Reunion

A Story by Emiko Tagahushi
"

This is a short story that I started for fun, but I actually ended up really liking it. However, I don't really know what to do with the story. NOTE: This is from a male's perspective.

"

I hadn’t had a drink in nearly 10 years.  Now was the exception.  I mean �" come on!  It was a high school reunion.  I couldn’t let my abstinence ruin the fun of the party, right?  Now that we were all in our twenties, it was fine to drink, so restricting myself was honestly a little embarrassing.  I also figured there was going to be some awkwardness between my old friends and since we hadn’t been in contact with each other for years.  Drinking just a little would soften that rough spot and help me and the others feel relaxed.  No need to worry.  I wasn’t hurting anyone except for myself.  My family didn’t need to know. 

                Those were the thoughts flooding my mind as I entered the bustling house of one of my old friends, Robert Burgstead.  He had majored in business and obviously become bloody rich considering the fact that the house was huge.  Not a mansion of course, but it was pretty big for a guy living all by himself.  I weaved through crowds of people, spotting several familiar faces, but their names apparently had not been imprinted into my mind.  They were most likely acquaintances from my classes that I had never really hung out with.  I mean �" this was a serious high school reunion.  Everyone was here, except for those who were actually mature enough to not come. 

                I made my way through the room brightly lit up with decorative hanging bulbs.  A table layered with a lacy white sheet and crowded with a variety of snacks and alcoholic drinks was at the far side of the room.  Behind the table were a few cooks and bartenders arranging and rearranging the drinks and the food.  I �" having nothing else better to do �" headed for the table in search of food for my empty stomach.  As I was squeezing through two bodies, another body bumped directly into my back.  I did a “whoa” and stumbled forward, nearly falling on my face.  I straightened myself awkwardly and whipped around to see who had pushed me.  My eyes widened in surprise to who I saw. 

                It was a girl �" well �" a woman.  She had thick, scarlet hair curling all the way down to her bellybutton.  The loops shined a golden red in the lights.  Her wide, bright green eyes gazed back at me with the same surprise.  I swallowed hard, and allowed myself to glance at her clothes �" which consisted of a bright red, layered shirt with a low, open collar, dark blue jeans, and one inch, silver high heels.  I quickly looked away before laying my eyes back on hers �" which had grown even wider. 

             “St-Stanley…!” she finally exhaled, a smile breaking her face. 

I let my muscles loose and managed a little smile back. “Hey �" Lacey.  Ah �" how you been?”

“I’ve been good,” she said, standing up straight.  I had forgotten how short she was �" well �" compared to me who was a six foot seven and to her, a five foot two.  “Hey,” she said, catching me off guard. “Sorry for bumping into you.  I �" uh �" wasn’t watching where I was going.”  She eyed me for mercy.

I chuckled. “You’re still the same.”

“Same goes for you.” She pouted, crossing on arm across her ribs and letting the elbow of the other rest on it so that she could hold up her margarita. 

“It’s not a bad thing,” I insisted. 

“Oh, nor is yours,” she said. “Do you want a drink, and we can chat a little?” 

I shrugged, sticking my hands in my pockets. “Sure.” Thus, we headed over to the white table.  I grabbed a cup of sex on the beach and we went to go sit down in one of the peach colored living rooms with smooth, peachy colored couches and a brown coffee table in the middle �" which people often rested their feet on.  We found a pair of single couches next to a corner table and seated ourselves.  I felt my insides churning as I tried to predict what kind of questions or memories she might bring up.  To calm my nerves, I took a quick sip of my drink.

You see �" if you haven’t figured it out yet �" Lacey and I had a history.    

© 2015 Emiko Tagahushi


Author's Note

Emiko Tagahushi
Anything is good! Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do with this story yet, so the ending is abrupt for now. I'm thinking of making it a short story, so do you have any suggestions? Thanks much!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well written story, made me want to keep on reading. Shame you haven't got an ending for it yet, I wanted to know what happened next! If you are looking for suggestions for an ending, I thought maybe while the story gives the impression at first that Stanley and Lacey haven't seen each other since high school, the reader could later find out that they have in fact been a couple since school, maybe they're even married and have a child together. They've decided to come to the high school reunion as a kind of date night, pretending they haven't seen each other for years to try to rekindle their relationship. Maybe things have been a bit stale between them lately, so they're kind of turning back the clock to when they first met, to remind themselves of what first attracted them to each other, and why they got together in the first place? Just an idea, anyway! I look forward to reading the rest of the story, once you have decided how you want it to continue!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emiko Tagahushi

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the advice! I think that could be interesting. I didn't think about extending their rel.. read more



Reviews

That was a good introductory scene, but I think I felt that you didn't know where to go because the tone seemed a bit non-committal.

One thing however seems absolutely logical to me. Since you implied in the beginning that Stanley has a drinking problem, alcohol should definitely play a role. But other than that you really have all the options, this could be a comedy, a relationship drama, a tragedy, horror even...

What I'd suggest is this: if you like the characters and feel that they have more to tell, join the party, grab a drink, mingle with the guests. Take a step back, don't try to create, try to watch instead. Talk to the other guests and let the protagonists play out the story for you. If nothing happens, that's perfectly okay too. But if there's more to their encounter they may actually surprise you :-)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emiko Tagahushi

8 Years Ago

Oh, I like the idea of making Stanley's alcohol problem a role in the story. Also, I hadn't thought.. read more
Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Haha, I'm glad I could help. My approach of interacting with the characters is - while doubtlessly b.. read more
Well written story, made me want to keep on reading. Shame you haven't got an ending for it yet, I wanted to know what happened next! If you are looking for suggestions for an ending, I thought maybe while the story gives the impression at first that Stanley and Lacey haven't seen each other since high school, the reader could later find out that they have in fact been a couple since school, maybe they're even married and have a child together. They've decided to come to the high school reunion as a kind of date night, pretending they haven't seen each other for years to try to rekindle their relationship. Maybe things have been a bit stale between them lately, so they're kind of turning back the clock to when they first met, to remind themselves of what first attracted them to each other, and why they got together in the first place? Just an idea, anyway! I look forward to reading the rest of the story, once you have decided how you want it to continue!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emiko Tagahushi

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the advice! I think that could be interesting. I didn't think about extending their rel.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 8, 2015
Last Updated on August 8, 2015

Author

Emiko Tagahushi
Emiko Tagahushi

About
Hello, I call myself Emiko Tagahushi. I love writing, although I do not do it as often as I'd like to. I am majoring in Literature, so I love to analyze texts too. Some of my favorite books are The.. more..

Writing