The Woodworker

The Woodworker

A Chapter by Emily B

He's gone to be with God

with his possum grin

and his flannel shirt.

If the good Lord

has any sense at all

He'll sit down

and listen a while.

I know I would.



© 2008 Emily B


Author's Note

Emily B
I found a post-it in the car. I had remembered way too many words. I put it back to the original way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I hadn't read this one and it is so loaded with narrative, despite its paucity of words. It makes me about what I will or won't have achieved by the time I kick the bucket, and will it, or won't it matter a jot. A very touching and thought-provoking piece.



Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this. Direct, simple, and with a message....like him.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I like it. :)
I says a lot with few words.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

My first read of this one and it is just a prime example of why you should be read.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

its effectiveness robs me of the appropriate words to justify my feeling about this writing. the laconic expressions are telling more than i even be able to listen.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Simple and effective leaving one to think deep. Well done Em. This is a great write.

Love and Thoughts,

Dostani

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderful poem. I think that the good Lord sits down for a chat with anybody who wants his attention. Somehow, he has to pass eternity, and I suspect that QT with his children is one of his top priorities.

I love your willingness to go against the flow of traffic and post work with religious overtones. I understand that this will probably drive away some reviewers, but some will love you all da mo!

Beautiful write.

Luv,
Gabe


Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Succinct and profound, in a religious way.
I like the imperfect rhyme of it, and how casually your narrator imagines this character sitting down to have a chat with the Big Guy In The Sky [i imagine them both with pipes, don't know why].
The tiny details that you've included work well to somehow give us a bigger picture.
Brevity is often beauty, and this poem is an example of that.

Something about it is nursery/skipping rhyme-ish...or one of thos short verses that our grandparents were taught by rote and can still recite over the sound of the TV.

Thanks for [re] posting this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderful character sketch and the simplicity of character is aided by the abundance of one and two syllable words. For some reason the man reminds me of Walt Whitman in his working clothes. Maybe that's an association of ideas with your recent post. Now wouldn't those words be worth listening to. But than again you make the reader want to sit down and listen to this man too in his 'worn-out overalls
and faded flannel shirt'. And those are great opening lines.

He's gone to meet God
with his pocket knife
and possum grin.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Emily, what a gem of a poem. I can picture this man exactly as you describe him and yes he has many stories to tell and all in a familiar voice and with a twinkle in his eye. I wish I could listen to him too. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I remember this and it sounds pretty close to what I remember. I am glad to see you are still sticking around and working on rebuilding your stuff. I am not sure how I would handle losing you from here.




Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1091 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on February 28, 2008


Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
For Emma For Emma

A Poem by Emily B


Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..