what I want

what I want

A Poem by Emily B

As I am a woman and changeable,
I cannot tell you what I need--

not flowers or jewels or sweet perfume.


Today, I want the sun and moon and stars.


Tomorrow, I may only want to hear
the quiet hum of your voice. 


Tonight, I may ask you to move a mountain.

 

By morning's light, I might need a loving word
or two.


Don't think I would ask you to change for me.
You'll do the way you are for now.


But, tomorrow--well,

by then,
I may change my mind.

© 2008 Emily B


Author's Note

Emily B
a new take on a moldy oldie

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very clever take on the old chestnut about women being fickle--but there's more than just one-note cleverness here. As the learned Mr. Simm states, the flow and cadence in the piece are excellent, the result of fine craftsmanship, and the interplay between the cosmic and everyday is handled expertly. Just a very fine piece of work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

Emily B

11 Years Ago

w.k.kortas where are you????????

come out, come out wherever you are .................... read more



Reviews

AH!! the undecided woman. I think that you need to find your words first and than maybe they will help you to decide the strongest path to follow, or perhaps they will tell your heart to take that risk, which holds you back...from the real words you wish to shout out to the world.
I guess it would be wonderful if women could have all that they wish, but I still don't believe they would be satisfied. Just my take on it.
This is a great piece Emily

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

But such a lovely take... You make that elusive and maddening feminine trait into something of charm and delight... disarming even the most chauvinist male...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Emily, thank you for your kind words for my poem, "Just Like Walt Whitman." Always appreciated. I really like your stuff too. In fact, I find myself thinking, "Wow, she has written something profound and something that I can also identify with as a style of my own." Ex: "I want the sun and moon and stars." Thanks for subscribing. I am very new to this site and haven't completely figured out my way yet!

Posted 13 Years Ago


excellent, emily. nobody writes like you: with such simplicity. and power

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is good i like it..

Posted 13 Years Ago


oh yes,we change...nice punch at the end...

Posted 13 Years Ago


very clever indeed, Loved it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love how you take what people typically think of women and use it in this poem. I love this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A perfect blend of truth is viewed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
. haha! ... you're the best, emily burns ... the quintessential woman ... and how beautifully so ... the queen of her words and the queen of her mind ... may you always reign and rain ... :) ...

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1447 Views
63 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 11, 2008
Last Updated on May 13, 2008

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


She She

A Poem by Yaooooooo