wandered off

wandered off

A Poem by Emily B
"

preamble to a trip back to Daniel Boone's fort . . . and come to think of it a woman that would leave the protection of hearth and home to brave the wilds . . . she must be a little crazy

"

If you should chance to find me gone

absent from spinning wheel and loom

dasher idle in the butter churn

 

If you survey the fields and hills

to find me not at work in the garden

and not returning from the spring

 

If you should look around to find

sewing cast aside

dishes strewn unwashed on the hearth

 

It could be

     I've wandered off alone down to the river

     to lose myself in the cool flow.

 

© 2010 Emily B


Author's Note

Emily B
getting excited for the coming weekend

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, I read the piece - I thought about what I know of you - the two contradicted - I skimmed the reviews, and they seemed to agree more with what I know of you than what I saw. For the life of me, it may be the mood that I have been in of late - but I saw this as a suicide piece. As somebody that looked as if they were going about their normal lives in a normal manner, suddenly disappears... having loosed themselves to the cool still flow, perhaps as Ophelia did in Hamlet. Yes, I definitely saw something different here - perhaps I need to get out of left field.

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the beginning. The ending is what I am having trouble with. If you like wading in muddy water, this is fine. I can see the fun in that. I used to love splashing in mud puddles as a kid, so the nostalgic nature of the act is quite in keeping with the "getting away from it all" mood that you've constructed. I would imagine pioneer living would ultimately make one wish to relive the innocence and less laborious nature of ones gleeful youth. I ain't real happy with the use of the word 'muddy' at the ending of this poem...it kinda leaves a muddy after-thought that lingers on the psyche when all I want to do is enjoy getting wet, not doing more work to clean/clear my senses of an after-thought.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very, very nicely done representation of shaking off the workaday chores of the everyday for the simple pleasures we'd associate with childhood. Well-constructed, flows nicely, the use of repetition is judicious and effective. Your work keeps getting better and better.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh tes sometimes we need to just break away for a little while and enjoy those simple pleasures... Wonderfully done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Hmmm, I ain't quite sure what to make of this. I will consider my present feelings and come back.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

SUPREME!! YESS!!! Nice it is great to take a break to be sure and fill the soul!! NICE ONE!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


6
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1882 Views
55 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 24, 2008
Last Updated on February 15, 2010

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
For Emma For Emma

A Poem by Emily B


Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Dance The Dance

A Poem by Emily B


forgiveness forgiveness

A Poem by Emily B