Chapter Six- The Wardrobe

Chapter Six- The Wardrobe

A Chapter by EmilyWinchester

In that one moment, with that one kiss it all changed. In that room with Marcos when I saw Louise's face I knew right then that my feelings for him were stronger than the brief infatuation I felt with Marcos. Speaking of him, him seemed to not care one bit.

"If he really cared for you he would come back to you." Marcos had said when I saw him one evening as I was heading into my room.

"You know he doesn't really love you if one little kiss can stop him from trying to be with you." He had said pouting his lip out.

I had ignored him and I know now the kiss had been a mistake. It seemed like every time I saw him he had some remark to make regarding Louise.

I did my usual walking about and looking at paintings but I felt empty and that wasn't even what it was before. I hopped down the stairs and came to the first floor, as I turned the corner my body instantly froze. There at the end of the hallway was a woman in a white gown that resembled the girl at the bottom of the stairs! It has to be her I thought.

"Hello!" I said trying not to scare her.

The girl turned towards me quickly then took off around the corner.

"Wait! I'm not going to hurt you! Please come back!" I cried as I took off after her.

I came around the corner only to see her going up the set of stairs and as I followed her my words didn't set her at ease at all. As soon as I got to the top she was already out of sight and there were too many rooms she could be.

"Please come out. I'm not going to hurt you. I want to help you. I saw you di-." I cut off quickly realizing that wasn't subtle.

I looked into the first room and even though it was dark I knew she wasn't there. I moved on to the second, third then forth. She wasn't in any of them. She was gone and I knew she was hiding. She must be so scared.

I remember when Maria had found me. Just moments before it was as if I woke up and I didn't even know who I was. I was just scared and I couldn't remember anything at all. I remember I was sitting up against the wall with my knees against my chest. I couldn't even think, I just felt this awful dread that seemed to cover my body like a blanket. Maria found me and told me everything was ok but I, just like the girl had ran. I didn't know where I was and I didn't know where to run so I just stopped. I begged her to help me. She eventually explained to me that even though it was hard to comprehend I was dead. She said that this place was special and it aloud us to continue on somehow but it would also never allow us to leave.

That actually made me think of something, I never really saw Marcos around much up until a few months ago. Maria had mentioned that Marcos was here even before she was, or the rest of them for that mater. Maybe there was something we had in common, something that for some reason kept us both from remembering anything.

After my run in with the girl I ran down stairs to the grand foyer to find Maria. I had to tell someone about her and I didn't want it to be anyone but Maria. She was sitting across from Amelia in one of the chairs as they both watched Sebastian play. I wondered if the poor boy even understood what he was.

"Maria, may I speak with you a moment?" I asked.

Sebastian's brilliant Green eyes peered up at me and he made a funny face. I made one back and Amelia scoffed. Maria looked at her and pulled her eyebrows together.

"Yes dear." She said as she stood.
I walked over to the fireplace and she along with everyone's eyes followed.

" What is it dear?" She asked with worried eyes.

I looked around and leaned in towards her until I was inches away.

" I saw the girl." I whispered.

Maria's eye got wider and her jaw seemed to drop a little.

"You saw her? Where?" She questioned.

"I saw her at the east end on this floor and followed her up the steps but lost her." I said still in my hushed tone.

"Are you sure it was her?" Maria asked.

" Well I-, uh I think so. I mean it looked a lot like her. They both have the white gown and the long brown hair an-" I cut off.

To be honest I really wasn't positive it was her but then again it couldn't be anyone else.

"I think it was her Maria." I said firmly.

"Well, I'm happy you found her dear. Maybe you'll be able to talk to her soon and explain things. Then you can forget all about her death." Maria said calmly and patted my arm.

It had felt like a very long day so I left Maria and decided I would go to my room and lay down, I had all the time in the world to find her. I was just glad she was finally here. I made my way up to my room and fell into a deep sleep.
Suddenly I could see a girl and a man talking secretively next to a fitting shop. I couldn't make out their blurred faces nor could I hear any sound. I could tell they were smitten with each other by the way his hand would graze hers or the way she fumbled with her fingers in front of her. He'd lean in and she'd turn her head just enough for him to peck her cheek. A carriage came pulling up and quickly the man dashed across the street. The woman inched towards the carriage and finally got in.

Now suddenly I'm standing in a beautiful dining area and there's a group of people sitting at a table. A man sits to the left and a woman sits across from him, then two young boys and a young woman sat at the side.

"Mr. Grand said he saw you speaking with that boy by his store again. What have I told you?! " Yelled the man.

Once again the faces were blurry but I could hear the girl sniffle.

"I'm sorry daddy, it was just a meaningless conversation." Said the girl softly.

"Now I'm going to let this last time slide but if the Duke hears that the woman he is promised to has been trolloping around with some lower class boy he won't he happy!" growled her father.

"I have no choice do I? Even though I do not love him I must marry him for some title!" The girl cried as she stood and took off to what I assumed was her bedroom.

"Hey! You come back here, girl!" screamed the father. His voice boomed through the room.

"Hey!"

Suddenly I was being shaken and my eyes darted open.

"Hey!" Called Marcos as he shook me again.

"I'm awake. What do you want Marcos?" I asked groggily.

" Well that's no way to be. I thought we were kind of like friends?" He asked as he put a sad face on but smiled just after.

I sat up and tried to shake off the sleepiness I still felt. If you had heard ghosts don't sleep trust me, we do. I could sleep for days or longer.

" I want to show you something." He said leaning in.

"I'm sorry Marcos, I'm just not up for it." I said as I crossed the room.

"Why are you acting this way Isabella? I thought we had something between us. Even if you do not feel that way about me I still thought we could still talk and maybe I could share things with you. Remember, we are the only two here like us. That has to mean something." He was beside me now.

" Another hidden room Marcos?" I sighed.

" Well actually yes but this room is different. It might scare you." He said with a concerned look.

" What do you mean? " I asked as I was a bit curious now.

" I better not take you, actually I think this was a bad idea. I'm sorry, I'll leave you be." he said as he headed for the door.

"No. You cannot tell me like that and then just change your mind. Now tell me why?" I hissed.

" Alright alright, but it's better to show you." He grinned.

He led me down the hall then the stairs and straight to the north end where most of the help would have lived. This part of the property was in a bit worse shape than the rest. With dark wood and blackened wallpaper, It wasn't much to look at. Finally we went through the door and into a sitting area which had some chairs but what really caught my eye was the very large wardrobe. When I say large I mean the very top touched the ceiling and it was almost as wide as a carriage is long. It was beautifully carved and looked like it had pictures out of a book carved along the doors.

Marcos ushered me towards the wardrobe and with my surprise he told me to open it. I obediently opened it but with disappointment I saw that it was empty. Just an empty space which could have been filled by two women's wardrobes. I turned to Marcos who was watching me intently.

" I see, well this is definitely scary." I said with irritation.

Marcos pursed his lips and leaned down.

"Down here." He said slipping his finger into a small hole in the floor board which I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. He pulled up and the floor raised up to reveal a hatch. Marcos eyes gleamed when he glanced at me.

"Ladies first." he said.

I peered down into the darkness where only the top part of a wooden ladder was visible.

"No, you go first. I'll follow." I whispered.

Before I even could blink Marcos was headed down the ladder.

"Marcos wait!" I said as I stood and got ready to follow him down.

He held up one hand so I could position myself and then he helped ease me down as I took each step slowly. I wasn't afraid of falling, I was more afraid of the darkness ironically. Finally I was on solid ground and Marcos held my hand tightly and pulled me along.

"Now, it'll be just a moment. We keep following this path and it will take us right there. " Explained Marcos.

My only response was tightening my grip on his hand. We followed the dark path until I saw a small glimmer of light and it got bigger the closer we got. Moments later we are finally passing through a wide doorway and there's small candles lighting up the room we were in. An underground room! The ceiling was wood beams and dirt and judging by how far we walked I couldn't believe it.

"It's the carriage house isn't it?" I asked.

Yes, we were under tthe carriage house. This could have been a hiding room once upon a time.

"Yes, we are directly under the carriage house. Now let me show you what I found." His voice was raspy now.

"How did you get the candles to light?" I asked.

"Same as I moved the chair but with more practice." He smirked.

We walked over to the side of the room which was partially hidden by tall shelves that where full of books.

"How wonderful. I used to read in the library every day when I was still alive." I said cheerfully.

That cheer suddenly vanished once I could see what was around the other side of the shelves.

"Oh my lord, is this a-?" I was cut off by the lump I felt in my throat.

Marcos smiled and walked over towards the bed that was now in full view.

"It's a type of torture room." He said mildly.

I had thought so. The big bed had chains and shackles on each post and there was the remnants of blood on the sheets. Next to the bed was a tall thin table with surgical looking instruments organized in a row. There was a desk against the wall and as Marcos and I got closer to it I realized whoever used this room was also an artist. Whoever used this room was very sick.

" Looks like he sketched out what he did to his victims at different times. Like a story book maybe?" Marcos asked holding up one of the sketches.

I took one of the sketches in my hand and lifted it to look at it more clearly. They were all of different naked women in poses that would make your stomach sick. The women were fully exposed, obviously raped, beaten and cut on. At the bottom of each page was the same writing.

*Taken to Guidalquivir river and set free from this world.*

So he would have his fun with them then take them to the river not far from here and kill them. By the amount of sketches on the desk he had taken over fifty women and killed them.

" I'm not scared." I told Marcos.

He perked up and gave me an off set look.

"You're not?" He asked intently.

"No, I'm just sad." I sighed.

This place holds so much agony and sadness. Every death that happened was painful, violent and lives were taken too soon.

" I didn't expect you to be so- well, so composed." He said with a cool tone.

I gave him a half hearted smile and walked around to the front of the book shelves. I peeked at the titles and many I have never heard before.

" I've always enjoyed reading as well, it calms my nerves. They say a intelligent person reads many books." Marcos went on.

He then told me about a few books he had read but I couldn't really focus on what he was saying. I was in a daze and blocked out all noise. I needed to go, I couldn't just stand in this place that was hell for so many women and socialize.

"I need to go." I said bluntly.

Marcos eyes narrowed and he knitted his eyebrows.

"Why? This room is amazing." He exclaimed.

"Amazing?" I scoffed. "You really think something like this is amazing? This room is horrible. Just because it has books doesn't make it a great place Marcos. " I huffed as I headed back to the dark tunnel.

"Isabella, wait." He called after me. "This room, like the others is our secret. Yes?" He said with warning in his voice.

I gave him a small nod then I ran through the dark passage way and straight up the ladder. It felt like something was lifted and I couldn't explain it. As soon as I got up the ladder I heard footsteps. I dusted my dress off and peered towards the door.

"Hello?" I called.

No answer, what a surprise. I walked through the door and there she was at the end of the hall again and she ran. I followed but once again I lost her. Why does she do this? What is she running from? Can she not see I'm trying to help her?

"What are you doing?" Asked Marcos from behind me.

I jumped at his voice. "It was nothing, I thought I saw something."

"Ahh. Well better get going Isabella." He said.

I nodded and went to the grand foyer and sat down. I'm getting closer to finding her, I'll get her to talk to me. I know I will.


© 2017 EmilyWinchester


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on November 21, 2017
Last Updated on November 21, 2017
Tags: Mystery, Thriller, Ghost, Rape, Love, Horror


Author

EmilyWinchester
EmilyWinchester

About
Just someone who wants to share their stories and read others work as well. I enjoy reading, writing, painting and whiskey. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by EmilyWinchester