Intro

Intro

A Chapter by Mac

“Better far to live and die under the brave black flag I fly than to play a sanctimonious part with a pirates head and a pirates heart.”
Gilbert and Sullivan

It was fitting that I ended up in jail, that postgraduate academy of survival. I was
definitely predisposed to make the deans list and graduate Momma-Cum Loudly. In the introductory curriculum I learned how to use toothpaste as glue, fashion a shiv out of a spoon and build communication networks. After many seminars, some tutoring and a bit of basic hazing from the upperclassmen, I learned the only rehabilitation possible, self preservation. My entire young life has been, in a way, a manual of survival in the prison that was once the United States. Since the reign of Herr Donald Cheetolini the “united” part is obvious bullshit. I learned early on where and exactly how to place the explosives that would one day destroy the walls of this overbearing and oppressive nation currently run by the rich for the rich. I learned to judge people as people not as a herd. I learned to help others through compassion and caring.
Coming of age as an urban pirate, I was educated by my parents and their friends in the idea of building a nation where the technology produces goods and services for whoever needs them, come who may. “From each according to his ability. To each according to his need.” I believe Marx said that. Karl not Harpo. I had those words hammered into my psyche. My generation was to be the new Robin Hoods of the urban jungles. We were trained to steal from the robber barons who own the castles of capitalism. That one of these sons-of-b*****s now sits in the White House makes the cause seem that much more urgent.
But there is an ironic twist in the Robin Hood analogy. For Lord Loxley was a nobleman who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor. Myself and most of my peers were the poor. Or rather we would have been if we were not pirates. That being so, we robbed from the rich and gave unto ourselves and each other. That is the root and essence of urban piracy. By the time I was ten years old I was ideologically set, in that I understood corporate feudalism as the only robbery worthy of being called a crime for it is committed against the people as a whole. Even so I was not entirely comfortable in my pirate role. I had moral qualms.
Whether the ways we plundered goods and services were legal or not seems irrelevant now. That was not always the case. It took time to grow inured to a life that operated on the margins. Over time I came to accept that the dictionary of law is written by the rich b******s who make money from our sweat and blood. The moral dictionary of the urban pirate says no heisting from each other. Never rip-off a square-john (I.E. A mom and pop operation or a small business.) To steal from a square-john, or a brother or sister pirate, is evil. To not plunder the institutions that are the pillars of the corporate regime is equally immoral. Community within our band of marauders, chaos in the fields of DC; that is the message I was raised on.
I would not have survived for long without learning to fight. Physically as well as
mentally. Fighting separates the pirates from the corporate outlaws. The purpose of our war, I learned early on, was not to screw the corporate system run by the rich, but rather to annihilate it. The weapons were carefully chosen. They were and are "home-made," in that they are designed for use in each unique urban jungle. And you can bet your a*s that our fight never went unnoticed by the wealthy land barons. Once again the dictionary of law is moot. Murder in a uniform is considered heroic, in a costume it is a crime. False news reports and advertisements win awards, forgers end up in jail. Inflated prices guarantee large profits for King Donnie and his kiss-a*s chorus while shoplifters are punished. Politicians and the media conspire to create riots and the victims are convicted in the courts. Natives protecting their sacred lands and our drinking water are gunned down and then indicted by suburban grand juries as the trouble-makers. A modern, highly mechanized army travels 9,000 miles to commit genocide against another nation and then accuses its people of terrorism. Everything is topsy-turvy.
I was told that should I internalize the language and imagery of the rich politicians, I would forever be screwed. It is not really arguable that our nation was built on the slaughter of an indigenous people. That is national history. For years citizens have watched movie after movie premised upon the white man's benevolence. John Wayne, the epitome of fairness, puts his arm around a chief and tells how the Native Americans and the whites can live in peace if only both sides will be reasonable, responsible and rational (the three R's imperialists always teach the natives.) “You will find good grazing land on the other side of the mountain," drawls the public relations man. "Take your people and go in peace." Cochise, Joseph, Sitting Bull, as well as millions of youngsters in the upper mezzanine seats, were and are being dealt off the bottom of the deck. That was the teaching I received. The Native Americans should have offed the cowboys in every picture and the audience should have cheered themselves hoarse.
So it was that I concluded that bank robbers rather than bankers should be the trustees of our nation. I began to think like my educators. I saw the mainstream media and Wall Street as cesspools of violence, filling the minds of the young with hatred, turning us one against another. My peers and I began to think like pirates. And that started the course of events which brought me here to Washington.
I finish my share of the food. Billy lights a cigar and Doc starts on a second one. They offer me one but I decline. I’ve given up smoking. They nod at me to continue. I do.


© 2018 Mac


Author's Note

Mac
This is a rough draft

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Mac
So now I have read both the prologue and the introduction. Just to keep my head in the game I read ahead to chapter one. ( This to let you know my reading position thus far.)

You mentioned to me you were considering combining the prologue and intro . My first thought was to ditch them both as separate parts and incorporate the information into the chapters. I still think that, but I can see the value of a short introductory segment if you want to begin this thing in the half way house. Such a segment would save some flash back writing and pull the reader in early.

You say rough draft. I say good because even though the writing is compelling it is all over the place. Philosophy, politics, ethical systems, yada, yada, yada… So far the strength of this story is all in the voice of the narrator. This reader has an immediate interest in such a character, but what exactly is he? Is he a preacher or a thug? Personally, I’m hoping for thug.

Back to “rough draft”. I say hold that thought ,and don’t get married to any particular slant yet. I hope you give yourself acres of room to rewrite a single directive version/vision for this thing and keep it in that direction, whatever it turns out to be.


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mac

6 Years Ago

Prologue
“I travelled through a land of men,
A land of men and women too,
And.. read more



Reviews

Mac
So now I have read both the prologue and the introduction. Just to keep my head in the game I read ahead to chapter one. ( This to let you know my reading position thus far.)

You mentioned to me you were considering combining the prologue and intro . My first thought was to ditch them both as separate parts and incorporate the information into the chapters. I still think that, but I can see the value of a short introductory segment if you want to begin this thing in the half way house. Such a segment would save some flash back writing and pull the reader in early.

You say rough draft. I say good because even though the writing is compelling it is all over the place. Philosophy, politics, ethical systems, yada, yada, yada… So far the strength of this story is all in the voice of the narrator. This reader has an immediate interest in such a character, but what exactly is he? Is he a preacher or a thug? Personally, I’m hoping for thug.

Back to “rough draft”. I say hold that thought ,and don’t get married to any particular slant yet. I hope you give yourself acres of room to rewrite a single directive version/vision for this thing and keep it in that direction, whatever it turns out to be.


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mac

6 Years Ago

Prologue
“I travelled through a land of men,
A land of men and women too,
And.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
1 Review
Added on January 7, 2018
Last Updated on January 7, 2018


Author

Mac
Mac

Madeira Beach, FL



About
Itenerant hobo retired by a swell. (Gorgeous she is too.) I write novels about people in addiction recovery. Fictional memoirs to be sure. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Mac


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Mac


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Mac