Prologue: Meaning of the Sunset

Prologue: Meaning of the Sunset

A Chapter by Shayne Plunk

          I have always been able to find peace looking at the sunset. The red-orange sun disappearing behind the trees. It's the only time of day that my thoughts are my own. The only time that I am uninfluenced by the feelings of others. Uninfluenced by the colors of auras swirling about the bodies of those around me. I can be myself again; I can be Damien Balfour again.

 

           Aside from the sunset making my abilities wane, there is always a feeling of completeness seeing the sun fading into the horizon. Being complete is something that I have always had trouble grasping. And it always feels like there is a memory playing just on the edge of my mind. I've never been able to remember what exactly it is, but I have the feeling that one day, it will come back to me.

 

          Thanks to my abilities, I have, for a majority of my 17-year-old life, been an outcast. I don't mind it, though. I like being alone and keeping to myself. I do have friends, yes, but they don't know much about my powers. They know the gist, and their opinions on the matter differ. I care for them dearly, but they don't have much of a concept about how things work.

 

          When I look around me, most of what I see is the never-ending swirl of color that every living thing has--auras. The concept of the aura has been around for quite some time. There are stern believers, and those who won't even give it a chance. Auras come in so many different colors, each one reflecting the life to whom it belongs. Stubborn reds, confused blues, healing greens, friendly yellows, each unique and descriptive. Though I have seen every shade, tint, and hue, there is an aura that I have only seen once; my own.

 

          It is late in August, and my senior year in high school is about to begin. There is some kind of peculiar energy in the air, and I have a feeling that something strange is definitely about to happen. There is also gossip around the town about a new family that moved here. Thats a rare occurance in our small town. Who knows: Maybe all this energy is a result of the hype.



© 2009 Shayne Plunk


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, I really like how much it explains about Damien's powers. However, I don't particularly like the explanation of the silver aura here. I like it how it is in the first chapter, because it seemed to emphasize importance of his individual aura when he broke his exciting news to Riku. You know what I mean?

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really like this so far! Very intriguing! Especially the powers and everything! Great chapter! :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


Well, I really like how much it explains about Damien's powers. However, I don't particularly like the explanation of the silver aura here. I like it how it is in the first chapter, because it seemed to emphasize importance of his individual aura when he broke his exciting news to Riku. You know what I mean?

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Interesting way to start out, making the reader think. I assume that's the purpose right?? Oh well, it made me think. Looking forward to reading it later on.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2009
Last Updated on July 28, 2009


Author

Shayne Plunk
Shayne Plunk

TN



About
My name is Shayne, and I am 19 years old. I am gay, and live with my boyfriend in an apartment close to my family in a small town. I used to write only poems about love and romance, pain .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shayne Plunk


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Shayne Plunk