Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Erica D`souza

      
     “Are you sure you wanna go?” mom asked me once I zipped my small suitcase close. “Yeah, he was my best friend mom” I told her and wiped my eyes as hard as I could. “Honey, you are in no state to drive all the way to the Hamptons” mom said with concern. I knew she wasn’t stopping me she was just worried about me. Tomorrow is Jake Wellings’ funeral. He was my best buddy in high school. We drifted apart when college began but we always kept in touch. We exchanged e-mails, video chatted a couple of times, he even surprised me for my 18th birthday and made me promise to surprise him on his 21st birthday. He was 21 today and I was getting ready to drive for his funeral. “Mom I'm fine and I have to go. I will be safe don’t worry okay?” I reassured her for the 100th time but I couldn’t reassure myself. I didn’t know if I was okay. None of my friends could console me because they didn’t know Jake. They even refused to attend his funeral because of a very important meeting with a client. I don’t hold any grudges against them but they could at least show some condolence. I was going to skip the meeting, fail to impress the important client, almost lose my job but I didn’t care. I knew I had to be there for my friend. Even if he was dead. 
         I got into my Mercedes and started the engine. My phone buzzed once in my pocket but I ignored it. I guessed it was another text from my friends/colleagues to attend the meeting and then go on my little road trip. “Don’t check it” I ordered myself. But what could I have done? I was a successful business woman. I got important texts all the time and my phone was at the tips of my fingers. I never ever let it out of my sight. I tried to fight the urge of pulling it out and checking it but I failed. I unlocked my phone and there was a text from Paul that read Joining you! Wait a sec. And that’s why I loved my gay best friend. I had best friends in all categories. I didn’t like girl friends very much because I always thought they were sugar on my face and bitchy behind my back. My straight best friend was Jake of course. I turned off the engine and tapped the steering wheel impatiently. Every moment I wasted was a minute later to the funeral. I got the news about the funeral from Jake’s brother William. That guy’s messaged sounded like he was asking me out on a date rather than telling me about his brother’s funeral. “Sorry” Paul’s voice distracted me and I quickly started the engine after flashing him a smile. “You look miserable” he said. Paul always told me the truth even if it was bitter. He didn’t care what the circumstance was, he just did what he always did. Told me how I looked. “My best friend is dead. What’d you expect to see, a Victoria’s secret model?” I scoffed and fastened my seat belt. “Look Cher I totally get it. But you haven’t spoken to him since after your birthday. Do you think it is right to even go to his funeral? I mean, they didn’t even invite you” I hate it when Paul is right. “Shut up b***h and fasten your seat belt will you?” I  ordered. “Look, I'm just saying” “I know! You are right and that’s why I'm telling you to shut up” I gave him a look that said ‘give me one more piece of advice and you are out of my car’. “So Cher tell me something about Jake” “Seriously? You can’t think of anything else to chat about?” “Cher stop being such a pain and just talk like a normal person okay? I need to console the family when we get there and I don’t anything about this dude” “Fine! Stop complaining and turn down the radio a bit” I instructed him and took a long breath.

 

 



© 2015 Erica D`souza


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on March 19, 2015
Last Updated on March 19, 2015
Tags: suspense, mystery, friendship, crime


Author

Erica D`souza
Erica D`souza

Belgaum, India



About
I love writing novels. I`m not perfect yet, but I have written two novels up till now and I`m currently working on my third one. more..

Writing