Burning house

Burning house

A Poem by e

I read somewhere “when someone lives in a burning house they believe their whole world is on fire when it’s not”. Our house was burning long before my existence, that spark turned into the flame which eventually turned into the burning house. Despite the many attempts to put out ignited house the flame grew larger over time. As it consumed every member of the house there was no way to stop it. We were all aware of the monstrosity building and on the outside looking in I suppose we could have prevented it from burning us but that is much easier said then done. The fire was apart of us now and we had grown to live with it but the funny thing was ,what hurt more was seeing other peoples unlit homes, So peaceful but so eerie. I was so used to the heat of the fire that being out of contact with it made me feel cold and suddenly uneasy as though any minute now the flame would find me and consume me . So why is it fair that others get to live in their warm homes and I just have to accept getting burnt. Some might say I wanted to be held by the heat, by the flame,or that I wanted to be embraced in the arms of the fire or cradled by the orange spark that consumes my head 24/7 as the thought of clear skies is unsettling as this has been my “norm” forever. The fire that destroyed this family, was this family.I wish I could run back into the burning house and take her with me, her with the pigtails and tear soaked sleeves. I wonder to myself is it that bad? It’s manageable right? Will the floors beneath me eventually singe my feet? Will the whole structural integrity of the house blow up in flames? All my duvets charred from trying to block the scorching sizzle of your anger. you lit that match, that flame and created this smoke now I can no longer clear my lungs. We dress our wounds and blow as hard as we can but the fire just grows stronger. It sees our vulnerability and our desperation but this fuelled the fire. It grows bigger and bigger until we can no longer contain it until everything turns to ash. Why did I never buy a fire extinguisher?

© 2023 e


Author's Note

e
Please ignore my grammar and punctuation !!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, my dearest one. We must have been neighbors in these infernos. If it makes you feel better, I married an abusive man. Two of them, actually, and each home was built of flame and ash and charred remains. We don't buy fire extinguishers because the fire because living int he midst of the fire becomes our normal. Thank you for sharing your pain and your experiences. That takes guts! And in case you are interested, you should listen to the song, "Burning House" by Cam.

Posted 6 Months Ago


e

6 Months Ago

Thank you Zoe for sharing !! I’m glad u liked the poem
the line about seeing other peoples non burning houses was such a grabber for me. I enjoyed this read a lot.

Posted 6 Months Ago


e

6 Months Ago

Thank you for you comment I appreciate it :)) I’m glad the poem resonated with you:))
This narrative poem reaks of a toxic environment and those who are trying to make sense of it, and to remain sane they have to persuade themselves this is normal. They may even blame themselves in some respects easpecially children trapped in such a scenario. I am not sure fire extinguishers work on such flamable materials, the only route to safety is through the fire door even if one believes the whole world is burning.

Posted 7 Months Ago


e

7 Months Ago

Thank you for you empathy John, I’m glad you liked the poem
D. Mansfield

7 Months Ago

I think I must have reviewed this under someone else, this is d. Mansfield, and your poem touched me.. read more
John Alexander McFadyen

7 Months Ago

lol Not to worry.
Had to read and read your words, try hard to find whether or not fact: house burning to ash, rubble and heartbreak.. life and possessions lost... or

for me this is a house that never was a home, a warm place, a refuge but only bricks surrounding - perhaps trapping, people who over time, became less than they should.. especially the one with pigtails. There seems to be raging terror involved, 'The fire was apart of us now and we had grown to live with it but the funny thing was ,what hurt more was seeing other peoples unlit homes'. A kind of fear at every door, ' We dress our wounds and blow as hard as we can but the fire just grows stronger. It sees our vulnerability and our desperation but this fuelled the fire. It grows bigger and bigger until we can no longer contain it until everything turns to ash.' As to that last comment, perhaps the smoke was far, far to thick to see through.. ?

Your writing is more than words it is a triptych of sight, sound and extreme stress - perhaps worse.

Posted 7 Months Ago


emmajoygreen

7 Months Ago

I fully approved your skills, erin but - in fact found much of your post quite distressing..
e

7 Months Ago

I’m sorry to hear that !!
emmajoygreen

7 Months Ago

Perhaps I misinterpreted your words - now worried. Perhaps message me and explain just a little. I .. read more
wow this write is sad but with a positive out come you made me think of the song, are house or our house nevertheless I did enjoy the read. thank you for sharing you thoughts.

Posted 7 Months Ago


e

7 Months Ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ! I’m glad you like it :)


its easy to look back and think if only .. its not always easy to pre-empt outcomes .. gramma & punctuation ignored .. Neville

Posted 7 Months Ago


Why did I never buy a fire extinguisher? I loved this line. Written every incident about family experiences in a burning house . You asked a question... Interesting story.

Posted 7 Months Ago


e

7 Months Ago

Thank you so much I’m glad you enjoyed it
I like this concept a lot! The burning house allows for beautiful imagery.
I very much like this line: “ I read somewhere ‘when someone lives in a burning house they believe their whole world is on fire when it’s not’“.
You leave a lot to be inferred which I also like. It was a beautiful read with a hint of sadness!

Posted 7 Months Ago


e

7 Months Ago

Thank you! I’m glad you liked the poem !
the fury of the poem is quite palpable. And perhaps I am reading more into it than i should, but your being of the northern counties gives the poem an additional metaphorical undertone of the troubles. all in all, except for a few punctuation demerits, it is very rewarding work; my first read of yours and suitably impressed to want to visit again.

welcome to the cafe

ken

Posted 7 Months Ago


e

7 Months Ago

Thank you so much Ken, your comments and reviews mean so much to me and I’m very glad you enjoyed .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 6, 2023
Last Updated on October 6, 2023

Author

e
e

United Kingdom



About
Enjoy writing lil poems x more..

Writing
Claw marks Claw marks

A Poem by e


Ugh Caterpillar  Ugh Caterpillar

A Poem by e



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Felt Felt

A Poem by Chris Shaw


The orange 🍊 The orange 🍊

A Poem by e