Test

Test

A Chapter by EsdeeAyo

110 AE

Polemos Facility

Former PRD Territory

ζ17

Test

 

                “The glass orbs you just received are Elemental Control Devices or ECDs for short.  They each allow the user to control various aspects of the environment.  This control exerts itself through thought.”

                I do not ask questions.  I do as I am told.  It does not surprise me that Polemos is in possession of such advanced technology.  The glass orbs in my hand must be the pinnacle of years of research and development.  I am privileged to be able to wield them.  Two glass orbs, no larger than marbles. 

                “Your CAT gauntlet system has two slots for them on each arm.  Please insert the ECDs now.  Your suit has received an increased ECD capacity for future missions.  For this mission, you will only need to use two.  ECD number 5, code name: FRZ enables the user control over the immediate temperature.  The user can lower temperatures close to absolute zero.  As a passive effect, the user also becomes immune to the cold.  ECD number 6, code name: ELC, enables the user to create, withstand, and manipulate electrical currents.  Passively, this ECD renders the user immune to excessive electrical currents.  Using your CAT system, you will maintain more control over the ECDs than the average user,” explains the electronic voice.

                They seem to be adequate weapons.  I flip open the plates on my gauntlets and insert the orbs.  They fit in the slots, nestled amongst the rest of the machinery. 

                “Now that you are fully suited, please step into the chamber, as protocol dictates.  We will run a standard field test to determine if further calibration is necessary,” says the electronic voice.

                Tests.  They’re all I know.  Testing my physiology, my physical abilities, the works.  I have passed every test Polemos has given me.  I will not fail.  I cannot fail.  I am incapable of failure.  I step through the doors into the chamber.  It appears the test is already in full swing.  The scenario laid in front of me is familiar.  It is called War.  It is a game where you kill anyone who is not on your team.  I have a feeling there will be two teams today; myself, and them.  This is unfortunate for them. 

                “I have placed a waypoint for you on your Heads Up Display,” says a familiar voice on my helmet speaker as a marker appears on my HUD.  This is Mr. Dragon.  He is my commanding officer.  He determines where I go, what weapons I get, what tests I run.  He is the puppet master; I am the puppet.  “You know the drill Zeta-Seventeen.  Reach the waypoint by any means necessary.”  Mr. Dragon’s voice cuts out. 

                The barrage of bullets begins.  They come from soldiers taking cover behind various bits of ruined walls that litter the chamber.  I run towards the closest wall, behind which a nameless soldier cowers.  I vault over using my arm as a pivot. I extend the blade on my other gauntlet.  Twenty inches of steel pierces through the soldier’s chest.  Before his limp body has fallen off the blade of my gauntlet, I take aim with my other arm.  I’m behind the majority of the enemy forces.  They lack cover now.  I shoot three rounds out of my gauntlet and three enemies fall.  I retract my blade and aim with both gauntlets this time.  I empty six more rounds into various retreating soldiers.  My kill count is now up to ten. 

                I turn and make my way to the mark.  Around a corner I find three enemies pointing their guns at me.  I think it’s time to test these new weapons.  I extend an arm; generating a blast of cold air that hits the three.  They freeze solid, as ice crystals form on their skin.  I push through them, and their bodies fall on the ground frozen.  This is an effective weapon. 

                I come upon a ruined courtyard.  There are enemies stationed on various roofs.  I extend my arm towards the closest building as lightning shoots from my fingertips.  It meets the soldier positioned at the edge.  His body writhes as I hoist myself up to his position.  I turn and take aim with my gauntlets, gunning down the enemies across the courtyard on other roofs.  All enemies fall in my wake.  I jump off the opposite side of the building and make my way to the waypoint as the icon on my visor HUD indicates.  I reach it in little time. 

                “Excellent” says Mr. Dragon’s voice over my helmet speaker, “It appears as though your suit and weapons need no adjustment.”  The scene I just fought my way through disappears to reveal the grid of the test chamber.  It’s all virtual reality.  I can’t count the amount of tests I have run in this room.  Stealth, assassination, mass destruction, I am detached from reality because of the life-like projections.  “Meet me in the briefing room.  We will go over the details of your next test.  You will finally be moving out of simulations.”

                Good.  I was starting to wonder if my job was only to kill simulated people.  Not that I enjoy the art of war, but I don’t despise it either.  Killing is what I am meant to do.  Thus I intend to fulfill my duty.  I am indifferent to the idea of taking life. 

                I open the door and exit the chamber.  



© 2014 EsdeeAyo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like how you dropped right in to describing the orbs. Every story needs a good beginning hook, be it action, suspense, or something immersive. I like immersive writing (giving us something fictional but well described to wonder about). I felt at first kind of like the introduction to a video game, actually. There is a good sense of description here and I found it enjoyable and easy to visualize. One suggestion I have is that you start too many sentences with ‘I’; you might look into how to vary your sentence structure a bit here and there (as it becomes a little repetitive). There’s a good hook at the end too, a light cliffhanger. Looking forward to the next chapter.


Suggestions:

“abilities, the works” And the.

“that litterthe chamber” Needs a space.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like how you dropped right in to describing the orbs. Every story needs a good beginning hook, be it action, suspense, or something immersive. I like immersive writing (giving us something fictional but well described to wonder about). I felt at first kind of like the introduction to a video game, actually. There is a good sense of description here and I found it enjoyable and easy to visualize. One suggestion I have is that you start too many sentences with ‘I’; you might look into how to vary your sentence structure a bit here and there (as it becomes a little repetitive). There’s a good hook at the end too, a light cliffhanger. Looking forward to the next chapter.


Suggestions:

“abilities, the works” And the.

“that litterthe chamber” Needs a space.

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I share the same opinion as WhiteWolfAvenger. It was a bit heavy at the start, but I got very intrigued by the story over all. I normally don't like first person stories, but I will be reading more of this one for sure.

Thanks for read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EsdeeAyo

9 Years Ago

Perhaps I should clarify, the true method of conveyance here is the orbs, (or the acronym ECDs). Th.. read more
Kayja Symphious

9 Years Ago

That explanation helps out a lot, and will further my enjoyment as I read on. Thanks for that.
Nice writing. I was a little wary at the beginning, as there seemed to be a bit of techno babble (with the multiple acronyms). But I like story idea, and the weapon(s) the main character uses are quite fascinating. I'll certainly be checking out the other chapters. Good work :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 14, 2014
Last Updated on August 18, 2014
Tags: Fiction, SciFi


Author

EsdeeAyo
EsdeeAyo

OH



Writing
Package Package

A Chapter by EsdeeAyo


Briefing Briefing

A Chapter by EsdeeAyo


Mystery Mystery

A Chapter by EsdeeAyo



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Package Package

A Chapter by EsdeeAyo