Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Sarah Merritt

Annabel Starr was thirteen years old. She had long, wavy blonde hair, and hazel eyes. She was an only child who liked organization and pink dolphins. She was smart and quick-thinking, but, like many other kids her age, she sometimes made mistakes and she could be a little mischievous.  And, she was an orphan who did not believe in ghosts.

          Annabel had lived with her grandmother until she was ten, when her grandmother suddenly passed away. After that, she was transferred through the Department of Child Services (DCS) to a foster home. She got along well with her foster mother, but did not like her foster father at all. It seemed as if they were arguing over something every day. Eventually, she got used to it and ignored him for the most part, but if she was in a bad mood beforehand, it only made things worse.  She lived there for a year and a half, until her foster father got mad at her when she came home an hour late from school. Turns out he hadn’t paid attention when she announced that she had joined the debate team and would be at their first meeting after school. After a heated argument and no dinner, she no longer had any desire to stay. That night, Annabel called the DCS and was transferred to a new foster home. She lived there for awhile, but soon found out that that home was not meant for her either. Her foster mother believed in perfection, which Annabel did not.

          So now Annabel was on her way to her third Foster home. She was sitting in the back seat in her foster mother’s white Toyota Highlander, listening to her talk about everything in Annabel’s life that was about to change once again.

 

 

          “And I went into town to get a few decorations and some furniture for your room; I hope you like teal. The walls were colored already from when my oldest daughter Leanne occupied it- she’s moved out now- so I thought to me, it couldn’t hurt to set that as the room theme color.  Anyways, I bought white and teal sheets, and a nice white furniture set. What a bargain! And my husband rented a carpet cleaner from Lowes, so the carpet is nice and clean. And you are going to love the country! We even have a creek that flows behind our house! Oh, look, we’re here! Come see for yourself!”

          Annabel looked up to see a gorgeous, two-story white house sitting on a bright green lawn. And the trees around it gave it a great country look. It was beautiful. And behind the trees, Annabel could just make out a large wooden building.

          “What’s that, Mrs. Delaney?” she asked, pointing.

          Mrs. Delaney followed her gaze, and replied, “That’s the old O’Connell House. It was built around the 1890’s. Mr. and Mrs. O’Connell were very well known, and that house was passed down generation after generation, until about 1972, when the most recent family disappeared unexpectedly. The house was left abandoned. Nobody knows where they went.  Some of the other people around here think that the house is haunted by ghosts. Of course, that’s just a bunch of nonsense. There’s no such thing as ghosts. And call me Jenna, there’s no need to be formal. ”

          They parked in the driveway. Annabel got out of the car and headed to the trunk to get her belongings. She carried her duffel bag and backpack inside, while Jenna insisted on handling the suitcase.

          As Annabel stepped into the house, she was instantly welcomed by a young girl who looked about eight years old.

          “Welcome to my house!” She said eagerly, “Can I show you around? Your room is upstairs! And guess what? It’s right next to mine! So if you ever need me, I will be right across the hall! Isn’t that great!? Come on!” She grabbed Annabel’s arm and began dragging her toward the staircase.

          “Whoa, slow down a little! Why don’t you introduce yourselves?” Jenna exclaimed.

          Before Annabel could begin talking, she was interrupted by more talking. “My name is Julie. I am seven and a half years old. How old are you? And what’s your name?”

          Annabel smiled. “Hi Julie. My name is Annabel, and I am thirteen and a half years old.”

          “Cool!” Julie turned to her mother and said, “Ok mom. Now can I show Annabel her room?”

          “Okay, Julie, but then let her do what she likes.” Jenna looked at Annabel. “Maybe you’d like to take a walk down the road and meet a few other people around here?”

          “That sounds like a great idea! I’ll get ready to go in a few minutes.”

          “Come on, Annabel!” Julie began up the stairs. Annabel didn’t know what else to do but follow.



© 2012 Sarah Merritt


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on August 4, 2012
Last Updated on August 4, 2012


Author

Sarah Merritt
Sarah Merritt

FL



About
My two favorite things in the whole world are Wolves and Lil' Wayne. more..

Writing