And This is Her Reply

And This is Her Reply

A Story by ettorney
"

Another love letter

"
He was his mother's. Now he's mine.

He didn't start out that way of course for I had to allow him to see that I am for him what his mother could never be. Of course I gave him my body, who wouldn't want to be held by his strong embrace? Of course I gave him my heart. It was his to hold.

I also gave him knowledge that he would never be alone and over time I gave to him an understanding that became so rooted in his being he is not even consciouse of its power yet is the foundation upon which he finds strength to face the world.

In the core of his being he knows, with me, wherever we are, he will always have a place for his heart to call home.

When he did not know his mind and tried many different things, I challenged him to keep searching and not give in to despair. When he felt he had failed to provide for us or he questioned his aptitude for manliness I stepped up my care and lent our family my strength to carry us through his doubt.

Oh, but he rebelled. He hated my strength because it reminded him of his weakness. He resented my tenacity and determination not to let our family fail. He was a child, as men are wont to be when their pent up emotions threaten to overwhelm. He was not childish in his behavior. He was very much a man behind his mask of strength and maturity gained from pain.

He simply needed Love
And Protection.
Privately.
Quietly.

When the squall of his uncertainty subsided he persevered, he overcame and he conquered. He regained his stature in the mirror and once again would provide us with the strength and direction our family required. He excelled, he succeeded and he grew.

He sometimes reflects upon that time with a sly grin and knowing wink at me. A wink that says he knows he is stronger with me, because of me and for me.

He knows I'm not his mother and he knows I am his wife. It just took him a while to learn its meaning and truth. It means we are together like blue sky and yellow sun. One suspended in the other the other clear and glorious from the light of the one.

Oh he's not his mother's.

He's all mine.

© 2011 ettorney


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

As I'm the mother of 2 grown men, I say--PERFECT. You nailed it quite nicely.

(By the way I happen to love my DIL's dearly, not only because they love my sons--they are better men because of them.)

Posted 13 Years Ago


The beginning with the statement, 'He was his mother's. Now he is mine"
So hard to let go of our mothers sometimes...even harder for the mothers more so with boys i feel. this is a beautiful love letter..
A smart woman who knows these truths.. This is beautiful ... a letter to cherish .. forever..

"In the core of his being he knows, with me, wherever we are, he will always have a place for his heart to call home"

such a truth in this .. we all need a heart home.

I enjoyed immensely.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 9, 2010
Last Updated on January 11, 2011

Author

ettorney
ettorney

Chicago, IL



About
I love to write. I love the process of writing. I’ve been gone from writing for a decade! Time to get back on the horse, don’t ya think? Although not perfect myself, I hate bad gra.. more..

Writing
Too Chicago Too Chicago

A Poem by ettorney