Ch 1- Introduction

Ch 1- Introduction

A Chapter by FadeV
"

The beginning of the story! Mostly just introducing the main character and a bit of the world.

"

“Of all the impertinence in this world, I have never seen anything this unjust!”

Al was hiding in the corner, listening to her uncle rant with wide eyes.

“As a beast hunter, I should be permitted to leave the city! I don’t care if there’s been an increase in beast activity- That’s what I’m here for, after all!” He cried, kicking a beer bottle from the ground and smashing it against the wall, “They think I’m scared of my prey, do they?, Well I’ll show them…”

As the yelling gradually decreased to grumbling and murmuring, Al ventured out from her hiding place.

“Uncle,” She spoke up, “It’s for our own safety. Archington is one of the only sanctuaries left- they don’t want to lose all of their hunters. It’ll only be for a little while until the number of beasts around the village decreases. I heard that the hunter’s guild will be sending a few of their finest men, so it won’t be long until we can go out again.”

Her Uncle groaned.

“The hunter’s guild- of course, it’s them. Lone hunters get no attention anymore, instead, it’s those stuck up brats that get all the credit- Why if I had it my way, they’d already be decaying in a ditch somewhere.”

Al flinched at her Uncle’s cruel words. She had always looked up to the hunter’s guild. They were a bit like superheroes- they saved those in need, and did it with a smile. Al aspired to join the guild one day, and help rid the world of beasts. Beasts were dreaded creatures- They looked human, but often had animal traits, such as hooves, horns, and even webbed feet like a frog. She had even heard of some having wings. The tip of Al’s ring finger had been bitten off by a beast when she was young. She didn’t remember it much, as it had happened back when her parents still lived in Archington with their daughter. They had been beast hunters, like most of her family. However on a trip to the great hinterlands, they had disappeared, never to be seen again. Most people supposed a beast had attacked them on their travels, but Al knew that this was false. Her parents were still out there somewhere, and they needed her help. If her uncle didn’t watch over her so closely, she’d have already rushed off to save them from the horrible beasts that resided there. Al hated the beasts. They were crude, violent, and they deserved to be exterminated. This land belonged to humans, and they were intruding upon it.

“Ah- Alice.” Her Uncle spoke up again, “The zoo has come to our town for the first time in several years. Why don’t you run along and see the beasts they’ve brought? Your Uncle has research to do.”

“Uncle, why didn’t you say so earlier?” Al asked in an excited tone, “I haven’t been to the zoo since I was a child! I have to go immediately, or all the tickets will be gone.”

Ignoring the amused smile her Uncle gave her, she rushed to put on her coat, shrugging it over her shoulders and hastily rushing towards the door.

“Al!” Her Uncle shouted after her, “Are you truly going to wear those clothes in public? They are undeniably too boyish for you!”

Al glanced down at her light blue sweater and shorts, then at her baggy brown coat, that was much too big. She turned back towards her uncle for a moment, stuck out her tongue, and threw herself out the door, giggling uncontrollably as she sprinted across the street to reach her destination. Her Uncle closed the door behind her with a loud thump, grumbling something about the rude nature of teenagers.

Al didn’t have to walk long to reach the Travelling Zoo- After all, the island on which she resided, known as Archington, was rather small. Small enough that she knew almost all of the residents. She greeted these residents kindly as she trotted along the gravel road, a pep in her step. The Zoo had been set up along the dock in which the island’s boats were situated, wheeled cages lined up neatly. Al knew that these cages held all kinds of interesting Beasts, and so she walked faster, barely able to contain her excitement. It was always strange to see the beasts, but she often felt a strange sense of awe and mystery when she gazed upon them.

Al had a big smile stretched across her face as she finally reached the ticket booth, where a plump man in a red coat was counting coins that were stacked upon his small desk. Al recognized him immediately, and squealed in excitement. This was The Master, owner of the Travelling Zoo and hunter of Beasts.

“Mr. Master, sir?” She spoke up, causing the man to jump momentarily before leaning across his desk to peer at the girl through round spectacles, “Do you remember me? It’s Alice! I come to see the beasts every time you’re around these parts, sir.”

The man looked confused for a moment, squinting his small, snake-like eyes at her. After a moment his round, pink face broke out in a smile.

“Ah, Al my dear! Of course, I’d never forget such a…” He paused, staring at the brown coat she was wearing, which was dragging on the ground behind her. “...Charming young lady.” He finished, adjusting his spectacles with a huff.

“Now pay up, my girl. As I always say, pay or be on your way!”

Al ruffled through her coat pocket, fingers brushing against buttons and loose change until she found what she was looking for, which happened to be a crisp 10 dollar bill.

She handed it to the man with a grin, and he shoved it in the small coin purse at his side before smiling again and waving her through the gates into the zoo.

“No touching!” He reminded her with a chuckle, staring at her ring finger as she bounded eagerly onto the long red carpet that stretched through the rows of cages, from which suspicious eyes peered at her.




© 2020 FadeV


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cool story I like the concept. Where did you get the inspiration from? Kinda reminds of fantastic beasts a little bit. Just without the magic. Keep writing I’m eager to see what happens next. Have fun writing.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 10, 2020
Last Updated on September 10, 2020


Author

FadeV
FadeV

Powder Springs, GA



About
I'm a 13 year old girl, and writing is a hobby that I enjoy. I don't have any plans to be a writer currently, but I thought it would be nice to have an online community to share my stories on. more..

Writing