Mia's Harvest- Part Two

Mia's Harvest- Part Two

A Chapter by Ash Addison
"

2/?

"

It didn't take me long to get home. My friends were shocked when I ran off as fast as I could but they didn't see what I did. Now that I'm home with all my doors and windows locked, I'm not so sure of what I saw. Moving scarecrows aren't impossible. The wind moves them all the time but living ones are. Scarecrows are just inanimate creations of farmers to scare away crows. Or so I kept on telling myself but the question kept popping into my head. What if it was real? If it was then why was it only me who saw it? Am I the one to be murdered by it? Assuming that the legend is true that is. I breathed in as I sat on my bed, cross-legged. My heart-rate was been at a 100 miles per second. Ok maybe not that fast but it's still faster then it should be. I took some deep breathes before walking over to my computer and logging on. There's only one way I can deal with this and that's the logical way. I logged onto the internet and searched for as much information as I could find on moving scarecrows. I sighed as most of it was on killer scarecrows from horror movies. Scarecrows rising as figures of evil in a typical horror where a couple get butchered by it. I sighed and typed in Local Urban Legends about Scarecrows in Fairhaven, OH. That's where I live in case you're wondering. I scrolled through what had come up. There was nothing. I sighed and got out my mobile before dialing Amy's number. After two rings she picked up.


“Mia, where did you run off to?”


“Amy, where did you hear the story about the scarecrow?” I asked, shutting down the internet.


“Oh come on, everyone knows the story,”


“Well I don't... now who told you?”


“Seriously?”


“Amy,”


“Fine, fine.. it was my dad ok? Apparently, in 1986, a local teenager and his friends were murdered in the field. The police never caught who did it and Dad always said it was the killer scarecrow who did it,”


“What else did he say?”


“Well, he told me not to go there and if we did, to stay together.. I just figured he wanted to scare me because it's Halloween. I mean he should know by now that I'm gonna do the opposite of what he said,” She replied in a slightly bored tone. “So are you still spooked by the story? Jessica said you were freaked out by the scarecrow,”


“Amy, listen to me ok? Call every-” I jumped as I heard the wind howling before taking a deep breathe and continuing. “Call everyone and get them to mine now,”


“What? Why?”


“Because I think that scarecrow story is true,”


“Oh come on.. really?” She laughed. I groaned and shook my head.


“Amy I saw it move,” I hissed as she continued laughing. “It's not funny. That thing moved and it's gonna hunt us all down,”


“You're so paranoid but if you want, I'll get everyone there ok?” She replied, holding back a snigger.


“Ok,” I replied, shaking off the memory of it moving.


“Oh and Mia.. don't let any scarecrows in,” She replied, before hanging up. I disconnected the phone before throwing it on my bed and laying down on it. I sighed as I thought. Everyone's gonna think I'm crazy. Maybe I am. If I am, then that's best case scenario. I wouldn't get murdered by a vengeful scarecrow. I took a deep breathe and got back up before heading downstairs and into the kitchen, flicking the light on as I went. I looked in the fridge and found some leftover pizza for dinner. “Yum,”


I put it in the microwave before texting Luke to get him over here.


“Maybe this whole scarecrow thing is just a big Halloween prank,” I mumbled before nodding. Yeah that's exactly what it is. A prank. Vengeful scarecrows weren't real and they certainly weren't coming after me. I smiled slightly, feeling a bit more relaxed. Especially when I heard the front door been unlocked. It meant Dad was back from trick and treating with my sister. Just as the microwaved pinged as well. I took my dinner out of it as I heard him walking through the hallway. “Is that you, Dad?”


I frowned when he didn't answer but didn't think anything off it. I looked up at the time and frowned. It was only 9.00 pm. It was early for them to be back. Sure my sister is young but either me or dad take her out so she's allowed out til 10pm on Halloween. I frowned before sorting out the pizza as I heard them walk into the kitchen


“Not a good night? Did you get lots of candy?” I continued, turning round but to my surprise, no one was there. I frowned. “Dad? Rosie? You there?”


No one answered but the lights started to flicker. I frowned and put down the plate, just as the whole room blacked out.


“Great,” I mumbled, feeling my way to the draws. I opened it and took the torch before turning it on and shining it in front of me but there was nothing there. I left out a breathe of relief before shining it around the room. Nothing at all. I sighed before heading into the hallway and saw all the lights had gone out. Upstairs as well. I frowned before opening the front door and walking outside in the rain. “When did it start to rain? Oh well,”


I walked over to the fuse box and opened it before shining my torch at it. Nothing was out of place and there was no reason as to why the lights should be out. I double-checked to make sure before heading back inside and trying to the light switches. Nothing. I sighed before closing the front door.


“Dad? You in?” I shouted before frowning when I got no reply. I sighed and headed back to the kitchen, grabbing my pizza and heading back up my room. I frowned as even my computer had switched off. I lit some candles before sitting on my bed and eating my pizza. I grabbed my mobile once I was finished. Luke had texted back, saying he was on his way. I smiled before put it in my pocket and heading back downstairs with my torch and plate. I headed into the kitchen and tried the lights again. This time they came on. I switched off the torch before putting my plate in the kitchen sink before turning to leave but the light switched off again. I frowned and turned on my torch but then that went out. I frowned and hit it then the street lights went out, plunging me into complete darkness. I tried my torch again but it still didn't turn on then I heard the sound of heavy breathing. I gulped before deciding it must be one of my friends. Probably all of them. After all, Pete's dad is an electrician. He could probably turn off the lights without the need for a fuse box. Though I'm not sure how he got my torch to stop working but that's probably the batteries. “Ha, ha.. very funny,”


No one replied. I gulped slightly before licking my lips and trying to look around.


“Ok I get the joke.. very funny,” I replied, as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. I looked around before seeing someone standing by the backdoor. They were quite tall. “Pete? Is that you? Did you get your dad to help?”


Again no reply. I frowned and hit my torch again. This time it came to life. I gave a little yes before shining it at the figure but to my surprise, there was no one there.


“Pete?” I whispered. I'm sure I had seen someone. “Pete? Where are you?”


I jumped as the heavy breathing started again. This time from behind me. I smirked to myself before spinning round and shining the torch at them.


“Got.. ya?” I frowned. No one there. “Ok this isn't funny anymore!”


I heard a creek from the hall. I quickly followed it but there was no one in the hall. I frowned and checked upstairs. I checked my room, Rosie's room and Dad's room. No one was up there. I ran back downstairs and checked the living room. No one in there. I frowned before taking a deep breathe and going down into the basement. I shone the torch around half expecting someone to jump out at me but thankfully, nothing did. I returned upstairs before going out into the garden. I shone the torch around before I heard a creek behind me. I turned round and screamed, dropping my torch. I couldn't see him clearly but I'm sure the scarecrow was on top of my roof. I quickly grabbed my torch and shone it at the roof but nothing was there. I sighed and turned round before screaming and tripping up. There it was. Right behind me. The scarecrow. It wasn't leaning on it's post. It was stood up on it's own, which meant someone was in the costume. I sucked in my breathe before getting up.


“Very funny, Pete. I know it's you in there,” I replied, moving backwards and picking up a stick. It didn't move. “Did Amy set you up to this? Well if you see her, give her a hit from me,”


I went to swing it but the scarecrow caught it. I dropped the stick and gagged at the sight of its hand. It was a rotten skeleton hand. I looked up at it.


“You're not Pete!” I gasped before turning to run but it grabbed my arm and pulled me back before grabbing my neck and lifting me off the ground. I struggled as it looked right at me. The same blue eyes I saw in the field looked straight at me as it's mouth moved but then a car light lit up my garden and I fell. I coughed and gasped for air before looking up. The scarecrow was gone.



© 2014 Ash Addison


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on July 30, 2014
Last Updated on July 30, 2014
Tags: Scary Spooky Halloween Ghosts Sc


Author

Ash Addison
Ash Addison

Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
I'm an aspiring author with a love of horror, metal and cats. I love to read and to write as well as going to gigs and watching movies. :) Twitter: https://twitter.com/AshxAddison Facebook: http.. more..

Writing