Gods and Goddesses

Gods and Goddesses

A Chapter by Sin
"

This chapter is about the Gods and Goddesses involved in Wicca.

"
In Wicca you can worship a great deal of gods, ranging from Ancient Greek to Norse. If you don't know what Deity you want or need to worship then this should.

Aphrodite was a goddess of love and romance. She was honored by the ancient Greeks, and is still celebrated by many modern Pagans.

Artemis was a Greek goddess of the hunt, and like her twin brother Apollo possessed a wide variety of attributes. Some Pagans still honor her today because of her connection to times of female transition.

Athena is one of the best-known goddesses of the Greek pantheon. In addition to being a deity of wisdom, she also was a patron of the warrior, and a daughter of mighty Zeus. Learn more about Athena, and why some people still honor her today.

Demeter is one of the best known goddesses of the harvest. Find out why she and her daughter Persephone are so important to the harvest mythology.

Ever wonder where the word "erotic" comes from? Well, it has a lot to do with Eros, the Greek god of and lust. This son of Aphrodite was all about man's basest desires, and it was his job to inflame people with the fires of passion!

Gaia was known as the life force from which all other beings sprang, including the earth, the sea and the mountains. A prominent figure in Greek mythology, Gaia is also honored by many Wiccans and Pagans today.

Hecate has a long history as a goddess, from her days in pre-Olympian times to the present. Originally a goddess of childbirth and fertility, Hecate has evolved into a symbol of magic and sorcery.

Hera is well known for being the wife of Zeus, but she's also a powerful goddess in her own right. Learn about this deity of marriage and sovereignty.

Many cultures have a goddess of hearth and domesticity, and the Greeks were no exception. Hestia was the deity who watched over the home fires, and offered sanctuary and protection to strangers.

Priapus is best known for his huge and constantly erect phallus, but he was also considered a god of protection. Here's why ancient Greek country dwellers kept him as a guardian.

Zeus was the leader of the Olympic gods, and commanded both immortals and men. Learn about this supreme ruler who had a great celebration held in his honor every four years.
Freyja, or Freya, was a Norse goddess of abundance, fertility and war. She is still honored today by some Pagans, and is often associated with sexual freedom.


Frigga was the wife of Odin, and had a powerful gift of prophecy. Learn about this powerful Norse goddess, also associated with marriage and fertility.


Heimdall was known as the guardian and protector of the gods. Learn why he's important in Norse legend, and how he plays a significant role in the story of Ragnarok.


Hel was the Norse goddess of the underworld. It was her job to determine the fate of the souls who entered her realm. Read on to find why we sometimes tell people to "go to Hell."


Loki was the Norse god who delighted in upsetting the balance of the universe. Learn about Loki and his exploits, and find out why he's actually quite important in the grand scheme of things.


Who was Njord, and why is he significant in the pantheon of Norse gods?


Odin was the mighty ruler of Asgard, and the supreme deity of the Scandinavian pantheon. Many Pagans still honor him today as a god of wealth, wisdom and inspiration.


Thor and his powerful lightning bolt have been around for a long time. Some Pagans still continue to honor him today. Learn about Thor and his legends, and where you can still find him in contemporary culture.


Tyr was a one-handed warrior god in Norse mythology. Learn about why he's important, and how he lost that hand in the first place.



© 2011 Sin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011


Author

Sin
Sin

Dallas, TX



About
I'm 17 years old I am a senior in high school I used to live in Tyler Tx but now Iive in Dallas Tx I am an avid reader Don't look for Death or he will come for you Hobbies; Writing, Thinking, Vi.. more..

Writing