Chapter I

Chapter I

A Chapter by A r d n a x e l a

 

<b><u>Chapter I</u>

1914

 

His face was smudged with dirt as he laid outside in the wide hills of his town’s backyard. The skies were an amazing blue today and it almost seemed as if nothing could change their azure hue. Large white clouds floated by, although blatantly harmless. Taking this break was part of his everyday routine in between working at his father’s tailor shop. Only a few months from now would Lyle become a journeyman tailor, one step up from apprentice. This was something he had been waiting for for almost five years. His father had told him that he would not be able to teach him to be a master; that was only learned from experience through selling and gathering information from other tailors in the guilds nearby and the ones he met along the way. Lyle never planned on leaving the town he had grown up in, since his fiancé, Libby,  lived here also. There was no reason to leave. He planned to buy a house just a mile away from his parent’s home; not too far away from his brother’s.

 

Marcus, Lyle’s brother, had recently bought his new home for his wife only a month ago; currently moving in furnishings and fixing up some things. Marcus’s wife had known Lyle for a long time. Her name was Francine (although preferred to be called France). Unlike Libby, France had lived in the town of Luke for longer than Lyle or Marcus could remember. Lyle felt almost <i>disappointed</i> when Marcus had first announced they were getting married. He had been close to France.

 

Lyle got up, returning to reality from his own daydreams. He returned to his father’s shop (at a slow pace) and went inside, going back to a dress he had been working on. It was ordered by a woman who Lyle had not recognized; someone who, perhaps, was staying at Luke for only a short while. Outsiders were not common; Luke was a small town with nothing much to look at. Lyle thought that all of Massachusetts was like that. Nothing exciting happened.

 

The Tailor shop was beyond crowded. Dresses and shirts and suits hung in one corner, waiting to be stitched and decorated while in another corner a large dresser held all the Tailor’s tools to be used while working. A cash register in the corner of the room was hardly visible beyond the two tables that were piled with unfinished attire that were waited to be worked upon, along with a sewing machine. Wire dummies were the only things that accompanied Lyle today in the shop; his father had gone out to Boston to purchase some things.

The dress Lyle was requested to work on today was destined to be a dark blue color, and a drawing was given to Lyle so he could use it as reference. Drawings weren’t common, although it helped Lyle a great deal when he needed something to look at while he created the dress. He estimated the cost of it and knew it would be expensive since the dyes were costly and the folds wanted were also difficult to create. He always wondered when the attire would be worn while he was working, or who it would be given to or how it would be treated. His thoughts were cut short when he heard the bell ring as the door opened. Lyle looked up and a smile flashed his lips as Marcus came into view. Lyle was always glad to be visited by Marcus, even when working. He had always looked forward to seeing his smile, too. But today, as Marcus stepped into the crowded shop, he did not smile back. </b>

 

Lyle watched through his apartment window as the street lights slowly came on, one by one. The sun was disappearing beyond the tall buildings of New York, as was the people who wandered the streets during the day. He usually liked this time of day. But lately the days now seemed to all be the same; they pass by, one by one, just like the street lamps lighting and darkening. The same thing every day. He grew weary of the same view from his apartment window, also. He dropped the shades over the window and moved from it to leave the apartment. During this temperature of warmth, a walk was required in his mind.

As he stepped out onto the sidewalk, warm air rushed to him, replacing the hot inside air of the apartment. He smiled faintly as he recalled the summers of sleeping outside in the grass. In this city, there’s almost no grass to sleep on except in the parks. There was actually a park across the street from Lyle’s apartment. He went there sometimes when he took walks, or just to read.

 

The streets in this part of the city weren’t as crowded as the others. That’s why Lyle had partly chosen to live here. The some-odd peace of it all. These cities weren’t expected to have peace, but Lyle found it in strange ways; when it rained, tiny umbrellas below the apartment would move down the sidewalk. When it was sunny, couples in the park would spend time with each other in the grass, laughing and kissing below the trees.

 

Lyle looked into the park as he walked by. It was dark now, and it took on almost an unwelcome look. He took a turn and went down the path in the park even though a sign declared it was closed after dark. It seemed like that his fear throughout the years had diminished greatly since becoming what he is. He heard faint footsteps and he squinted, looking through the dark as he saw someone ahead. The person stopped, obviously seeing Lyle, but after a moment continued walking. When they finally were close enough to see each other, the vampires greeted each other.

 

“Lyle! Nice to see you!” James exclaimed in that familiar Irish accent and they shook hands.


“Nice to see you again, James. Where’ve you been at work?” Lyle worked at a bar now, tending on the weekends. James had been one of the other bar tenders there, although recently he had been absent.

 

“Ah, things came up. I’ve been working there for six years now…” James looked off down the path, pausing for a moment. “And I just don’t want to notice how much I haven’t changed. Know what I mean?”

 

Lyle understood this completely. This was the whole reason he had moved to New York City from Massachusetts. The people that had known him would begin to notice there was abnormally slow change over the years as he aged. New York city was the closest major city nearest to him, and with how many people that lived here, Lyle had assumed not many would notice his aging. Even so, It would be a long time before anyone would say something. And before then Lyle would plan on moving again.

 

“Yeah, that’s why I moved here.” Lyle looked off down the path as he followed James’ gaze. “So you’re not coming back to the bar?”


“Nah. I’m thinking of finding another one.” He smiled. “Where do you live? Maybe I can visit sometime.” Lyle pointed back to the buildings beyond the park.

 

“In an apartment over there. Come with me for a walk and I’ll show you afterwards.” Lyle continued walking but James stood where he was, reaching into his back pocket.

 

“One second.” Lyle stopped and watched for a moment as James reached up, lighting a cigarette that he had placed in his mouth. He put the lighter back in his pocket and continued walking, Lyle following his lead.

 

“You know that’s bad for you.” Lyle commented with a wry smile.

 

“Shut up.” James retorted as smoke drifted through his nostrils. “I’ve been smoking for thirteen years without seeing a doctor.” A smile from James. “Even longer without seeing a <i>dentist</i>.”

 

Lyle chuckled and thought for a moment.

 

“I wonder what the man would say…” He murmured as he watched his feet.

 

“ ’Oh, it seems your canines are a bit larger than normal.’ Then he’d prick his finger and blood would drip in and he wouldn’t know what hit him.” James grinned at Lyle as the cigarette hung from his lips. “Maybe it’d be fun to go to the dentist, eh?”

 

Lyle had noticed that James was much more ignorant than most vampires he had met. He guessed he was young; not well aware enough of the vampire world. The only thing Lyle knew about James was that he had came from Ireland a few years ago. Lyle didn’t answer to his comment as they continued to walk. When the path ended, they went down the sidewalk to go around the park to Lyle’s apartment.

 

The streets were quiet now, only cars passing by every so often. The lamp lights made the dim buzzing sound each time they were passed, although it took Lyle’s observant personality to notice that. He listened to their footsteps and the faint buzzing until he saw that James had stopped. Lyle turned, looking back and seeing that James was crushing his cigarette under his shoe. James looked up and gave a crooked smile before continuing to walk with Lyle.

 

“You never told me why you came here.” Lyle suddenly asked. There was a silence before James answered.

 

“Here…?”

 

America, I mean.”

 

“Ah…” Once again, there was a silence before the red haired man answered. “Well,” He sighed. “I came here because staying in my old town was too much.” He looked at me and a smile brightened his face. “I never told you how I was changed, did I?”

 

Lyle shook his head, adding quickly before James continued,

 

“You don’t have to. It’s none of my concern.”

 

“No, I do want to tell you.” He stopped and leaned against the park fence casually as he looked up at Lyle. “My father changed me in 1989 when I was twenty-three. In 1994 I left there because I had enough money and I didn’t get along with my family since I was changed.” 

 

Lyle was very surprised at this. The horrific image of someone’s own father doing such a deed was beyond appalling. He swallowed after listening and responded quietly,

 

“I’m sorry for that.” Lyle tried to think of something to add, but it was hard to respond to such a subject.

 

“My mother had known about my father’s…’condition’ and hadn’t cared for my safety while I was around him.” Lyle secretly wanted to know why his father had changed him and it bothered him that he didn’t know the rest of the story. But he kept his mouth shut. James began to walk down the sidewalk again with Lyle before changing the subject. “So, where’s this apartment of yours?”

 

“Just up ahead. It’s really not impressing at all.”

 

“You don’t have to convince me to that.” James grinned at Lyle and he smiled back.

 

“And where would you happen to live? Under a bench in the park, maybe?” Lyle led James up to the door of the building and brought him inside to bring him upstairs. After opening the door to his apartment James gave a disgusted look.

 

“Oh, god, Lyle, under the bench looks better than this place.” Lyle almost took that as a compliment. It truly was a pigsty in his home since he almost never cleaned it. None the less, he shoved James inside and shut the door. 

 

* * *

On the weekend, Lyle worked at the Red Brick Inn . He worked at the bar on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. It was something he enjoyed doing; although there were some things that he disliked. But that was what jobs had in common. He would love to be a tailor again, but in these times apprenticeship was something of the past. Lyle would have been a master tailor by now if he still worked.

 

Tonight the bar was quiet, unusual for a Friday night, although he wasn’t complaining. He served the people that came in and out, chatting somewhat with those that welcomed it. He loved to eavesdrop and their conversations; even better, to listen to what they were thinking. It was a trait most vampires inherited when changed, although some didn’t gain the ability just at a stroke of bad luck. He noticed that commonly, people would say ‘good evening’ and be thinking something else totally different. Or while one person is talking, the other would be off in their own thoughts instead of listening closely.

 

Another thing he liked to do with this mind trick was scare people by starting a conversation on what they were thinking. It was amusing to see their eyes widen and give a startled response as Lyle just gave a friendly smile.

 

Something that was a plus while working here was easily feeding off the drunkards that hung around the bar. Lyle never killed them; only took a taste of them after leading them to the back room. It was even easier picking up a drunk after they’ve fallen unconscious. This was only when he was a bit thirsty; when Lyle was actually <i>hungry</i>, he went out into the city. But that was a big risk to take. He tried to avoid it.

 

A newcomer sat down at the bar and he looked over, catching the woman’s eyes. He smiled at her and tried to get into her mind, but immediately his undetectable intrusion was pushed back by a barrier. Another vampire? The silent question was answered when the girl sneered at him after his intrusion was pushed away and she strummed her fingers impatiently against the bar.

 

“Are you going to serve me or is multitasking too hard for you?” She growled.  

 

“I believe you didn’t tell me what you wanted to drink, Miss.” Lyle continued smiling at her as if they knew nothing of each other. She responded with a sigh and rolling her eyes as she spoke.

 

“Water. A glass of water.” He snorted a laugh and got what she wanted, although he added a few drips of cherry juice to darken the water to a red color. He placed the drink on the bar and smiled at her. She stared at the drink and glared up at him. “Very funny.” She pushed the drink back to him. “<i>Plain</i> water.”

 

“Sure you don’t care for a Bloody Mary? Water isn’t very appropriate to order at a bar.” He was having fun with this. He knew in public she couldn’t do anything to him and he loved taking advantage of that.

 

“Yes, I’m <i>sure</i>.” This time he did what he was told and got her plain water. But he did steal the cherry water and drink from it while watching her closely. She was apparently trying to ignore him. For now, he let her succeed at that goal.

 

He continued serving those in need of service, although he continued watching the other vampire. Each time their eyes would catch, he would smile at her. She just moved her green eyes away and tried to seem interested in something else. Soon enough, she left without saying goodbye (or leaving a tip) and he was bored again.

 

After work, he walked home down the sidewalk. Not too far from the bar he sensed someone following him. He stopped once he was in a place he felt that no one was around except for him and the follower. He turned and looked back, meeting the same green eyes he had seen at the bar. He smiled and went to the woman.

 

“Something you need?” He asked casually. “Are you lost, maybe?”

 

“You’re one of the only vampires I’ve seen around here that tested me like you did back there.” She said quietly.

 

“Oh? Is that something I should take as a intimidation?” Lyle continued walking down the sidewalk. He wasn’t very interested in her now as much as he was at the bar. He heard her footsteps catching up to him and soon enough she was beside him.

 

“How old are you?” She asked as she watched him.

 

“Seventeen going on one-hundred…” He paused for a moment, thinking. “And ten, I believe.” She stayed silent and she looked off onto the street as they walked. “How old are <i>you</i>?

 

“Forty-Two.” She looked up at him once more. “I’m the oldest vampire I’ve known up until now.”

 

Lyle had already guessed that. Her cocky personality was an obvious clue to that.

 

“Well,” He began, stopping to look back at her. “Now you know that you’re not the oldest one living.” He looked her over. Jeans, t-shirt, jacket…She didn’t seem to be planning on going somewhere fancy. Her physical looks seemed plain: Brown hair that almost seemed worn, especially with the split ends that lined it, freckles dotting her cheeks and nose. But her green eyes seemed abnormal for the face; they didn’t seem to match. “What’s your name?”

 

“Leslie.” She now seemed to have a new respect for Lyle now knowing how much older he was. “Yours?”

 

“Lyle.” He responded slowly as he seemed distracted. He looked off down the sidewalk and then looked back at her. “Time?” She shrugged in response.

 

“No idea.” Lyle watched down the sidewalk and sighed quietly.

 

“I have to get going. See you later.” He began walking again as he left her be. He wasn’t in the mood to pester her or even to talk to her. There was someone else around, although there wasn’t a way to tell if it was vampire or human. He turned the corner, looking down the sidewalk. After a moment of silence between the silhouette and Lyle, there was a thick Irish accented comment of,

 

“What the bloody hell are you staring at?”

 

Lyle couldn’t help but allow a loud laugh to escape him after hearing James.

 

“Hanging around near dark alleys smoking cigarettes isn’t very healthy.” Lyle snorted. He could smell the cigarette smoke in the dark. Lyle went to James and clapped him on the shoulder to move him from the dark.

 

“I’ve been so hungry…” James said under his breath. He was pale and his red hair was a mess. It was a common thing for James to become a mess when he was stressed. He took a long drag from his cigarette and let out a long breath. “And I’m just too afraid to feed off anyone around here.”

 



© 2008 A r d n a x e l a


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
Added on May 3, 2008


Author

A r d n a x e l a
A r d n a x e l a

Kerhonkson, NY



About
Hullo! My name is Alexandra. I've been writing for a while, even though recently I've been slacking since I've just started up violin. I hope i'll be able to make more room in my time for this hobby. .. more..

Writing