The Damned

The Damned

A Story by Tyragan
"

Abraxus is a hound of hell. Even demons make mistakes, however. And hell is not one to be forgiving about such things.

"

 

Abraxus Lightbane is a demon. Specifically a hell hound.  He stands a massive seven feet tall when balanced on his hind legs. He is covered in a coat of delicate, porcupine-like quills and the base of his spine continues into a large reptilian tail. In his cavernous maw are housed dozens of sharp, deadly teeth which are perpetually bared in a menacing snarl.  His eyes are large obsidian orbs, in which oneself can be seen, a cruel reflection of one’s true self. Hands, or perhaps something more like paws, are the size of dinner plates and the tip of each digit is graced with a large obsidian claw which he has a habit of clicking together as he thinks.  In short, Abraxus is a nightmare. Also . . . Abraxus is extremely bored.

This demon’s  profession . . . nay, his very point for being is to herd souls. For all eternity he is charged with guiding lost souls through various sectors of hell. One would think, being created for such a purpose would make a creature naturally inclined to be content with doing such a task.  This was not the case with Abraxus. There was only so much entertainment one could find in snapping at the heels of a soul struggling across the rocky plains of the underworld. 

Always the clever demon, Abraxus created his own form of entertainment. At random he would choose a soul. And while continuing his herding duties he would torment that “lucky” soul into telling him stories of the human world. Often the soul would find itself so terrified it lacked much room for creativity. It would spoutt miscellaneous plot-lines of whatever it happened to remember from its life on earth. Perhaps memories, or tv show episodes and movies.

One day Abraxus managed to catch an extremely creative soul who managed through her terror to narrate several stories of adventure and romance (a topic Abraxus found entirely too hilarious). His attention was drawn from his eternal task, and in his distraction a soul managed to escape. A soul, stumbling along at the edge of the ragged group, took his chance and scrambled off.

By the time Abraxus had drained this entertaining soul of every story she could come up with, the escaped soul was long gone. His gaze drifted across the group for a lazy moment before his eyes widened in terror. One was gone . . .This couldn’t happen. This didn’t happen.

He inhaled deeply. It was fine. He must have simply miscounted.  He was a demon not a human mathematician. There was no way he had lost one of his souls. He was a hellhound. This was what he did. He swallowed the rising bile and continued along, snapping his lizard-like tail at souls who strayed or stumbled.  He couldn’t have lost one . . .right?

“Mr.Lightbane?”
                “Yes?” The large demon sitting dejectedly in his chair lifted his head slightly.
                The succubus secretary sitting a few feet away at her desk gave him a sultry look over the top of her glasses. “They’ll see you in a moment”
                The demon simply nodded and clacked his large obsidian claws together. His large reptilian tail, which forced him to sit slightly sideways thumped against the blood red tile floor. He ran a paw over his canine-like face and between her large ears, following the flow of the delicate, yet deadly, quills there. The huge beast sat like that for a few more minutes, growing all the more agitated as the seconds ticked by.
                Finally, seemingly out of nowhere the succubus looked up from her work and announced. “Go on in, Mr.Lightbane. They’ll see you now.”
                The demon rumbled and lifted from the chair, shuffling morosely across the room and through the large double doors inset in that wall. The door made no sound as it swung open but a large gust of hot air ruffled his quills and caused him to wince slightly. “Ah, Abraxus Lightbane. I haven’t seen you in years. How’s your father?”
                The wolf-demon, Abraxus, lumbered into the room and stood there, his long arms hanging in defeat at his sides. “He’s as destructive as always, sir.” Abraxus growled softly and dared to glance up at the demon sitting at the desk before him. He was terrifyingly beautiful. Large horns jutted out of his forehead and his pale skin was almost translucent in the light. The heat Abraxus had encountered earlier seemed to emanate from the being before him and caused the metal nameplate on his desk to smoke. “Head of Soul Transportation” the smoking hunk of metal read. “Wonderful!” The other demon laughed and slammed his palms down onto the desk. “Now . . I wish we were meeting under better circumstances but it can’t be helped.”
                Abraxus winced and resisted the urge to wring his tail in his palms. “Yes, sir.”
                A hefty file was tossed onto the desk and the pale demon stared steadily at Abraxus. “Would you like to tell me what happened?”
                There was silence for a long moment as Abraxus weighed his options. Better to tell him then let another demon tell it. “Well . . . I was doing my job, making sure the souls were herded through the Jagged Pass and onto the Brimstone plains.” He glanced up when he paused and received an approving nod in return. “And . . . It can be so repetitive, sir. All day back and for back and forth making sure none escape . . .” He didn’t dare glance up that time before continuing. “So I . . .  I had taken to forcing the souls to tell me stories as I guided them along and . . .yesterday while I was listening to one of these stories . . . some souls escaped.”
                “Escaped?”
                “Yes . . .they  . . .ran away while I was distracted.”
                “Well did you hunt them down?”
                “No, sir. T-they managed to slip back through the portal.”
                The Head of Soul Transportation, pursed his already almost non-existent lips. “What . . . stories were they telling you?”
                Abraxus forgot himself for a moment and his eyes lit up with delight. “Well there was this one about a woman who can talk to ghosts and she helps them pass on. That one is a comedy I believe. There’s was also a story of great horror that I was told about a group of young humans called a ‘Glee Club’” He made little quotation marks with his claws, “that sing songs and dance.”  The thought caused both demons to shudder visibly.
                “Ah . . . I see.” The demon gathered the papers on his desk together and hummed. “Well . . . There will of course be a punishment for this. Despite your quality felhound work, those souls were very valuable to me.”
                The wolf-demon dropped his head again and tapped his claws together. “Of course, sir.”
                “Now . . . I am going to need to be repaid for those lost souls. So here’s the deal. Come here.”
                Abraxus stood there for a moment before stepping forward and leaned over the desk slightly to see what his boss was pointing at.  There seemed to be a window in the top of the desk and in that window a teenage human girl sat, playing what he recognized (Proudly) to be a human musical instrument. “Who is that, sir? If you don’t mind me asking.”
                “That my, pin-cushiony friend, is your new home for quite a while. To recoup the losses you have cost me you are to be put in the body of that human girl. Your job is to convince her to let you into her heart and when you do you must corrupt her and bring her back here. You see . . She has a particularly appealing soul and I want it. Now, if you get her soul to me you will be returned to your previous position here in the underworld. Until then you will live in her head. Now this is a punishment so the only time you can communicate with her is when she’s asleep. During her waking hours you will sit there and see what she sees. Feel what she feels.” The demon’s eyes had taken on an amused gleam and Abraxus stopped himself from gulping audibly. “That is . . . Until she accepts you. Then you have total control. Now. I think we should get you into your new home as soon as humanly possible” He chuckled darkly and his hand shot out to grab his employee’s throat. Before he could escape, his head was being shoved through the window in the desk and suddenly he was falling.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                When Abraxus awoke the first thing he noticed was it was very dark. The second was he couldn’t move. Panic clenched at his chest and his breathing picked up speed. It’s fine . . . just . . calm down and wait. Eventually something will happen and I’ll know what to do. He waited for what had to be hours. As he waited he came to learn he was lying on his back. A pressure along his back and the backs of his legs indicated that.  After many tests he also learned he was very much trapped. It felt like being enclosed in a slightly too small body-suit. He could feel it pressing in on him at all angles and he panicked again when he realized he couldn’t feel his tail.
                Finally, something happened. He was suddenly blinded as a second pair of eyes, which he stared through like tiny windows, opened. He blinked and let out a silent roar of terror.  Most demons, such as himself were painfully allergic to the light and learned to avoid it at all costs. Now, his most sensitive appendages were exposed to it.
                The view suddenly changed and he felt the comfortable pressure against his back disappear. In a sudden epiphany he realized where he was. Ooh dark lord I’m in the human girl . . . The girl, his host, as he liked to refer to her for he felt like a parasite using her body as a home, got up and carried them both across the room to the window. She looked out at the snowy day and groaned. I agree human girl, snow is disgusting. He hissed, half hoping she’d hear him. Much to his disappointment she made no indication that she’d noticed his presence and he growled as she continued her business. She seemed to be putting on warm clothes. This is good . . .we will stay dry. As her gaze panned about the room he caught sight of pictures taped to the wall, all of masculine human boys. Her victims perhaps? He rumbled curiously for, despite his knowledge of human stories, he knew very little of their normal lifestyle. Courting her to my side will be simple . . .as soon as I can get her to hear me. He set to the task of yelling, roaring, and being all around raucous in order to get her attention.
                Nothing worked.
                Finally, mentally exhausted from being ignored while the girl ate breakfast, did her hair, and gathered items into a bag, he gave in. Fine human girl. You are more of a foe than I had anticipated . . . I shall wait and watch.  He cringed as she stepped outside and into the snow. Why do you not simply fly? Don’t humans fly? The girl ignored him once again and trudged off down the street, her boots making a soft crunch with every step.
                Abraxus had been dosing off, waiting for something interesting to happen, when she stopped. He’d decided to call the girl Quinn, after one of his favorite human story characters. Quinn gazed up at the sign above her and mumbled, “Stupid school” before starting forward again. Oh no . .this can’t be  . . . He struggled with all his might. No matter how he thrashed he gained no ground. His body was at the will of her’s. They ascended the stairs and through the doors. A giant woosh of warm air came to meet them and both girl and demon uttered the same phrase. One with fear the other with resignation
Welcome to hell.”
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                Hannah worked her way down the hall, cringing away from the shoulders that sought her jostle her every couple feet.  Every day the same thing: an elbow to the ribs here, an uttered insult about her clothes there. By now she’d pretty much grown accustomed to their antics.
                She made it to her locker and exhaled a sigh of relief. “Halfway there . . .” she muttered to herself, and withdrew her books. Just as her locker door slammed shut a hand planted into the middle of her back and shoved her into the cold metal. Her books landed in a dejected pile on the floor as she turned around and touched her finger tips to her nose.
                Of course . . . Before her stood what would have been the picture of teenage beauty. It would have been if her face wasn’t twisted into an ugly sneer. “Good morning, Courtney.” Hannah mumbled and moved to slip past the blonde standing proudly before her.
                “Not so fast, Hannah Nerdtana,” Courtney, snarked and the two previously silent girls behind her tittered like excited squirrels.
                Hannah resisted the urge to roll her eyes and stepped back to her previous position in front of the lockers.
                “That’s better. Now, I need you to do my essay. Something eight pages long and with lots of big words. I do have a reputation to uphold. Having a four point oh gpa is a lot of work.” The last sentence was pouted comically which caused the Courtney’s two stooges to giggle again.
                “No. I will not. Now if  you’ll excuse me I need to get to class.” Despite her brave words Hannah quickly darted down the hallway and into the safety of her class. She’d pay for that eventually but for now she would live. She took a spot in the back of the class and settled in for a long, most likely boring, history lecture.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Abraxus watched the whole exchange in disbelief. why does this . . .Hannah (for he had now learned her real name even though he preferred Quinn) not simply dismember this Courtney where she stands? As far as the demon was concerned there was no problem that could not be solved with a good dismembering. Apparently Hannah did not share his views. This will be more difficult than I thought.

They had taken a seat in the classroom and the teacher had begun to speak. His voice seemed to drone on and one, devoid of any interest or enthusiasm towards his subject. Hannah’s gaze grew fuzzy as she lost focus. Ooohh please fall asleep! Abraxus begged. yes! There we are . . . take a nice nap!

Her eyes shut and a few minutes later he was released.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The wolf-demon appeared in a large white room. He stumbled slightly as the floor appeared beneath him. “I am free!” He crowed in delight and hopped from foot to food in a delighted little jig.

“Um . . .who are you?”

The voice came from behind him. He spun in surprise, finding Hannah standing a few feet away with a look of equal surprise. “Oh! Greetings, little human.” He rumbled pleasantly, and bowed. “I am Abraxus Lightbane. I am here . . . because I am,” The demon froze, unsure of how to continue. Should he tell her the truth, or should he fabricate a lie? And if a lie than what to say!

“Are like . . .My conscience or something?” Hannah inquired and tilted her head to the side.

Abraxus blinked. “urrghh . . . yes! Yes, child! That is what I am. Now, I need you to kill someone. Anyone really!”

The girl burst out laughing, her arms wrapped around her middle as if afraid she’d laugh herself apart. “Who would have thought my conscience had a sense of humor? Kill someone . . .that’s a good one.” She brought up a hand to wipe away a stray tear before she managed to collect herself again.

“yes ah . . hehe . . that is me. Always the joker.” The demon growled through clenched teeth. How dare she laugh at him? He could crush her like a bug if he so chose.

 

© 2012 Tyragan


Author's Note

Tyragan
Is it worth continuing? and if so, is it a little too slap-stick? Should I make it darker? and if so, how?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
Added on April 30, 2012
Last Updated on April 30, 2012
Tags: Demon, parody, possession, high school, hell hound

Author

Tyragan
Tyragan

CA



About
Hi! I'm called Tyragan. Tyragan is both a character name and my fighter name in Dagohir. I enjoy writing a way of expressing the insanity in my head without causing any serious damage. I enjoy anythin.. more..

Writing
Withdrawals Withdrawals

A Poem by Tyragan


To be used To be used

A Poem by Tyragan