Mysteries of History-1846

Mysteries of History-1846

A Story by Fictioneer
"

A shot lesson in history.

"

Mysteries of History

“Play Ball!”

 

People around the globe have enjoyed the American pastime known as baseball for many years. Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Derrick Jeter have all stepped up to the plate, swung a wooden Louisville Slugger, and made contact with a leather-covered ball. The sound created from contact is one that no one will ever forget, no matter their age. However, before all the hype and superstars produced through the game, when did it all begin?

To answer that question, we have to adjust the hands of time to February 2, 1876. This date marks the National League of Professional Baseball Club’s birth in New York. When this league was formed, there were eight teams:  Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Hartford, Louisville, New York (not the Yankees), Philadelphia, and St. Louis. Although this event is a memorable one for the history of the sport, it still does not answer the question.

Let us move the hands of time back thirty more years. On June 19, 1846, in the small town of Hoboken, New Jersey, the first game of organized baseball was, played. Alexander Cartwright, not Abner Doubleday as history states, established the rules for this game and some of those rules still apply today. This game had no set innings and the two teams played until it was so dark that they could not see each other. The outcome of that first game was the New York Nine beat the Knickers of the New Jersey Knickerbockers, 23-0.

Next time that you step up to the plate, watch the game on television or sit in a seat at the ballpark, you can think back to when you were little and continue to dream about how you would have saved the World Series:

“...Down by two runs, bottom of the ninth, based loaded. I pick up my Louisville Slugger, take a couple of practice swings, and then step into the batter’s box. I stare at the pitcher, poised with my bat, and try to catch a signal from him, which would indicate his next pitch. He winds up, fires one down the center, strike one! I move the bat around, adjust my grip, and he fires another down the center, strike two! My heart starts to pump harder. Sweat forms on my brow, but I do not back down.

I take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and watch his right arm. This is the last game of the World Series, two outs, and only one strike left. I cannot let my team down. The wind up, the pitch...I watch the white leather covered ball sail towards me, and contact is made, crack, a sound heard around the world. As I stood at the plate and watched the little white ball soar into the air, and become smaller and smaller.

 It’s going...It’s going...It’s...”       

You know the rest of the story!

 

© 2012 Fictioneer


Author's Note

Fictioneer
Please be honest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 12, 2012
Tags: Non-fiction, History, Baseball

Author

Fictioneer
Fictioneer

Orlando, FL



About
I have been writing freelance for ten years and taught Language Arts to adult students for the GED program in the state of Florida. In addition, I also developed a Creative Writing program for adult s.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Fictioneer