Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Fictioneer

Chapter Three

 

For thirty days, Holly and Faith traveled the world, taking the names of the deer who wanted Santa to choose them. There were dens that showed no interest in the contest or Kringle Corporation. Then, there were the ones where they had almost run out of paper from so many names. When the two elves arrived  at Kringle Gardens, the list had more than five hundred names. Between Jingle, Holly, Faith, and Mistle-Toe, the public relations director, they whittled the list down to one hundred and twenty-five names.

 

Now, with a list that was more reasonable to work with, the four elves, along with Santa, seated at a large wooden table in the Kringle Garden library.

 

“Santa, we’ve compiled the list so no matter where you will be judging the deer;  we feel it is easier for you to watch them qualify,” Jingle said, sliding the list across the table to Santa.

 

Santa picked up the piece of parchment and gazed at the names. “I believe we should add another restriction,” he suggested.

 

“What were you thinking of, big-guy?” Mistle-Toe asked.

 

Mistle-Toe was a trendy elf, he was a free spirit, who went solo, broke away from the traditional elf life style, and started his own trend. He was the first elf, in the northern woods, who graduated from Southern Pine University, majoring in public relations. He stood the same height as Holly, and wore a black felt cowboy hat, western-style shirt, blue jeans, and custom black leather cowboy boots with  his family crest carved into the leather.

 

“Age,” Santa, replied.

 

“How old?” Jingle asked.

 

Santa laid the parchment onto the table, looked at the custom clock that told him what was going on around the world. Then, he turned back to Jingle and said, “No younger than ten, and no older than sixteen.”

 

“All right,” Jingle said, and then picked up the list.

 

He held the parchment in one hand, and then snapped his chubby fingers of his other hand. Instead of the list altered, the large table began to fill with many cups of hot chocolate, and plate upon plate of Christmas sugar cookies.

 

“Oops!” Jingle said, staring at the table of Christmas snacks.

 

Santa shook his head and snapped the fingers of his right hand, and everything  disappeared.

 

“Thanks “Jingle said. “ Let me try that again.”

 

“Hold it, Jingle,” Santa said, “let me take care of that.”

 

Jingle handed the list to Santa, and with a single snap of his fingers, the list reduced to the proper age group. Jingle glanced at the list and noticed that the list was still a bit too long.

 

“What about restricting the list to northern deer only?” Jingle suggested.

 

“What do you mean?” Santa asked.

 

“Only the deer that are used to being in the cold climate,” Jingle said.

 

“No,” Santa stated flatly.

 

“What about offering it to only deer of this area?” Mistle-Toe offered.

 

“That would create major problems,” Jingle interrupted.

 

“How so?” Mistle-Toe asked, leaning back into his chair, looking at Jingle.

 

“That’s not giving the whole world a chance to compete, now is it?” Jingle said.

 

“Why should we care about deer in other parts of the world? We should be taking care of our own deer here in the northern woods,” Mistle-Toe replied sharply.

 

“Now see here…” Jingle began, but was cut off be Santa.

 

“Mr. Toe,” Santa said with a smooth voice. “We here at the Kringle Corporation care about every living creature on earth. I believe that we should be giving an equal chance to a southern deer as to a northern deer.

 

“Once you come to realize that the Kringle Corporation cares about everyone, you will find that we are easier to work with and even easier to please.”

 

“I understand that we need to support everyone around the world, but it’s only a deer. I mean, what’s the big deal, if you’ve seen one deer, you’ve seen them all,” Mistle-Toe said, leaning forward and resting his small arms on the polished surface of the table.

 

“Excuse me,” Holly interrupted,” may I say something?”

 

“Yes, Miss Tree,” Santa replied, turning to her. “You are a part of this team, speak your mind.”

 

“Thank you, Sir,” Holly said, then turned her attention to  the public relations director and took a sip of her hot chocolate. “Mr. Toe, Faith, and I have traveled the world for over thirty days, collecting names for a situation that needed to be addressed. I would hate to think that the Kringle Corporation would waste its time, sending two experienced elves out into the world, alone, to collect names; for what? To risk getting caught or worse, hurt.

 

“I believe that every deer, no matter their age, whether they are from the north or the south should be granted a chance. Being one of the Special Nine is a job that most deer only dream of.” She paused for a moment.  “If you plan on keeping all those restrictions on the list, then with all due respect Santa, please reassign me to another department. Thank you.”

 

“Thank you, Miss Tree,” Santa replied, “although we may not agree with the restrictions, I believe that if we keep the age limit, whomever wins the positions will have to devote their lives to the service of the Special Nine. The maximum amount of deer will be sixty-eight, no more, no less.”

 

He turned and looked at Faith; she nodded her head, letting him know that she supported Holly. That was all that he needed. When Santa made his decision about the list and the only restriction that stayed was the age limit. The two girls won. The next step was to handwrite all the invitations, and then deliver them to the sixty-eight deer from around the globe.

 

Mistle-Toe was upset with the outcome of the meeting. He stood up and made a hasty exit from the library.

 

“Don’t let Mr. Toe bother you,” Santa said. “I’ll talk to him later, and show him what it takes to be a team player.”

 

“Now, about the invitations?” Jingle asked, glad to see Mistle-Toe had left. “ What should they say?”

 

Santa leaned back into the red velvet chair and began to comb his long white beard with his chubby fingers. “How about this; the deer’s name, have been personally invited by Santa to compete for one of the three open spots on the Special Nine.

 

“The winner will not only be able to live in the Kringle Korral and be cared for, they will be given the best grain and vegetables to eat. They will be groomed by a personal elf. That same elf will be responsible for daily exercise and practice at being one of the Special Nine. Upon being a member of the Special Nine, the winner will be required to attend the Kringle Guidance Kamp for the next three years. This training will help the winner become a Special Nine member, not only for Santa, but also for all the children the world over. Please, report to Snowdrift Field, on April first, and register. This invitation must be present when registering. Good luck and I hope to see you in the winner’s circle as one of the Special Nine.

 

“That’s perfect,” Jingle said. “Faith, did you get all that?”

 

“Yes, sir,” she replied.

 

“Leave it to us, we’ll write the invitations and deliver them to the winners,” Holly said.

 

“Thank you all,” Santa said, pushing the chair away from the table. “If you will excuse me, I told Mrs. Kringle that we would inspect the cookie factory.”

 

Santa stood up and made his way across the room. He pulled the heavy wooden door open, then left, letting the door close softly behind him. When the door was completely closed, Jingle turned to the two elves. “I don’t believe that it was Natalé who wanted to inspect the cookie factory.”

 

Just as the three elves began to chuckle a deep voice sounded in the empty library. “I heard that, Jingle.”

 

Each elf looked at one another in surprise. Holly and Faith would not have believed that Santa heard everything that went on at Kringle Gardens, if they had not heard his voice for themselves. The power of Christmas was truly alive under the Kringle roof.

 

“I hate it when he does that,” Jingle said. “Well, since you two have everything under control, I’ll leave you to write the invitations.”

 

“Well, thank you, Jingle,” Holly said. “There’s only sixty-eight of them, we should have them done in no time.”

 

“That’s what I like"team spirit,” Jingle said, standing up from the table. “Let me know when you are finished.”

 

As Jingle made his way to the door, Holly picked up the parchment and quickly scanned the list. The heavy door clicked, closed, as Holly’s eyes focused on one name that seemed to be written in bold print Lexi.

 

Holly placed the parchment down, and then looked up as the door opened. Carrying a small red-and-gold cardboard box was an elf wearing a navy blue uniform. He walked over to the table and placed the box onto it.

 

“The Kringle print shop sent this up,” the elf said. “You’ll find a pen and an inkwell inside.”

 

She placed each item onto the table, then pulled out all the invitations, and began to separate them from the envelopes. Faith grabbed one of the red-and-gold invitations and began to scratch ink onto the beautiful paper.

 

As Faith wrote, Holly took out all of the invitations from the envelopes, and waited for her friend to finish the first one. “Are you done?” Holly asked.

 

“Yeah,” Faith said, handing her a perfect handwritten invitation.

 

Holly looked at the writing and smiled. “Perfect.”

 

“I thought so,” Faith said.

 

Holly held up the paper and snapped her fingers four times and each invitation automatically changed.

 

“Now, that’s better,” Holly, said with a smile.

 

The two elves began to stuff the invitations back into the envelopes. When they were completed, each held envelopes for different parts of the world. “This shouldn’t take too long,” Faith said.

 

“How about we meet back up at the Three Wise Guy’s Italian restaurant on Holiday Avenue once we’re done delivering all the invitations,” Holly said, thumbing through the envelopes.

 

“It’s a date,” Holly replied.

 

Holly snapped her small fingers once, and Faith was gone. She quickly scanned the room to see if she forgot anything. When she was ready, she snapped her fingers once and she was gone as well.

 

 

                                                                         

 

 

 “Attention! Attention! This announcement comes all the way from Toyville, the home of the Kringle Corporation, Kringle Cookies, Kringle Multi-grain, and the very first Reindeer Games. Welcome to The Icebox Cookie Radio Show, broadcasting live from everywhere you are. My name is Joe Buck, and we have the latest update on the selection for the Special Nine.

 

“On our last broadcast, we talked with Miss Holly Tree and Miss Faith Ann Hope about the retirement of Dasher, Dancer, and Prancer, three of the most important deer to pull the big guy’s sleigh. They also informed us that they would be visiting dens around the world to compile a list of deer whom were interested in competing in the Reindeer Games.

 

“Well, I’m here to tell you that the list has been made, and the selection process has begun. Now, don’t be upset if your name doesn’t appear on the final list, because, try to think about how many deer are in the world. The odds are huge, so if you know someone who has made the cut, you should support them, and even make the journey with them to Toyville.

 

“Our office is now trying to get in touch with Miss Holly Tree’s office to find out the update on the selection. While we’re waiting, why don’t we take some calls?

 

“John, from England, you have reached The Icebox Cookie Radio Show. What’s on your mind?” Joe said.

 

“Joe, love your show.”

 

“Thanks, John. What’s up?”

 

“I’d like to talk about these Reindeer Games.”

 

“Sure, go ahead.”

 

“Why now?”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Yeah, like I said, why now? Why after all of these years are the deer going to step down?”

 

“Well, our sources claim that it’s retirement, do you have reason to believe different?”

 

“Maybe the three deer are going into the witness protection program. They knew too much about the operations of Kringle Corporation.”

 

“Well, John, I don’t believe that’s the case, but you are welcome to believe what you choose. It’s just that we don’t share your views. Have a nice night.”

 

Joe pressed the end button on the large control panel. He looked at his assistant Catherine, who shrugged her shoulders.

 

“We’ll be right back after we hear a word or two from our sponsors,” he said, then pressed another button.

 

Joe Buck stood four feet, two inches tall, with emerald eyes, black hair, cut short and neatly timed moustache and beard. He wore a multi-colored Hawaiian shirt and blue jeans and work boots. He stood up from the control board, stretched, then walked around the small studio. Every time he passed the window to the control booth, he would smile at Catherine. She would look up at the right time, and smile back.

 

Catherine Butterscotch stood four feet tall, with long blonde hair, pulled back into a French braid, hazel eyes, and skin as smooth as silk. She wore a light purple silk blouse, and dark purple slacks. During the day, she attended Winsome College, majoring in broadcasting.

 

Joe sat down just as the commercial completed and the ‘On Air’ sign lit up.

 

“Welcome back to The Icebox Cookie Radio Show, and we are still taking calls in hopes to reach Miss Holly Tree of the Kringle Corporation. On line three, we have Miss Lady Finger from America. What’s on your mind?”

 

“Hello Joe!” She said.

 

“Hello Lady! You sound as though you are excited about something.”

 

“Sure am!”

 

“Do you want to share your excitement?”

 

“Just before I called you, my boyfriend Bobby, received an invitation for the Reindeer Games.”

 

“Wow!”

 

“Yeah, that’s awesome!”

 

“What does the invitation look like?”

 

“I’m not sure. I haven’t seen it; he only called to tell me.”

 

“Well, that’s great, Lady. I hope Bobby becomes one of the Special Nine.”

 

“I hope he goes all the way.”

 

“Let Bobby know that The Icebox Cookie Radio Show is rooting for him.”

 

“I will thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome.” Joe pressed the end button. “ And there you have it, folks, the invitations are already being sent out around the world.” He paused. “ Well, folks, we’re in luck, Catherine has just informed me that she has Miss Holly Tree on the phone. Miss Tree, are you there?”

 

“Yes, I’m right here,” Holly, replied.

 

“Well, well, well,” Joe said, “have you been listening to the show?”

 

“No, I received a K mail  informing  you have been trying to reach me,” Holly said.

 

“Yes, we have. Now, that you are on the line, let me ask you, have you finalized the selections?”

 

“Yes, Joe. Santa had final say, and the only restriction that he placed on the master list was an age limit,” Holly said.

 

“Age limit, really?” Joe said. “ Now, that’s real interesting. What is the age group?”

 

“Between ten and sixteen,” Holly said. “Let me tell you,  one little restriction dropped a list of over five hundred to a final sixty-eight.”

 

“Wow! That many had been turned down?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“That’s great,” Joe said. “So, are you delivering the invitations now?”

 

“Yes, I’m on my last stop now, and at this one stop, there are five deer who qualified.”

 

“That’s great!” Joe said. “ Do you mind if we ask where you are?”

 

“Not at all; I am in the northern woods of Russia at Mrs. Crystal Burg’s Home for Lost Souls,” Holly replied.

 

“Well, Holly, we’ll let you go, so you can bring good news to five lucky deer.”

 

“Thanks, Joe,” Holly said. “Are you going to be at the Reindeer Games?”

 

“Holly, we’re not only going to be there, but Catherine and I will be broadcasting the games live. So, prepare yourself for at least one interview,” Joe said.

 

“Thank you, Joe and Catherine, for all of your support. Santa will not forget this,” Holly said.

 

“No problem, Holly. We’ll see you at the games. And don’t forget, folks, mark your calendars for April first, the world will be witnessing history. The Icebox Cookie Radio Show will be broadcasting live from Snowdrift Field in Toyville,” Joe said. “Now, when we come back, we will talk with Nick Timber, squirrel extraordinaire from Woodlawn Grove, about the storage of acorns in your home, and the safety of shell disposal, but first, a word from our sponsors.”

 

                                                                                               

 

 

With the last five invitations in her hand, Holly strolled along the path that led to the common area of Mrs. Burg’s Home for Lost Souls. A  flame danced in the fire pit, and it seemed as if all the animals were seated around the campfire, waiting for elf’s arrival. The talking died  to a whisper"then silence. Everyone turned to Holly, and waited expectantly.

 

“Are you all waiting for me?” Holly said with a smile.

 

“Yes,” Mrs. Burg said, seated next to her deer.

 

Holly moved closer to the pit, and then noticed the flame dancing in Lexi’s eyes. “How did you know I was to be here?”

 

“The Icebox Cookie Radio Show,” Mrs. Burg said.

 

“I guess it’s true. Joe really does touch all points of the globe,” Holly said.

 

“We don’t miss his show,” a chipmunk said.

 

“Are those the invitations?” Mrs. Burg asked.

 

“Yes, ma’am,” Holly said.

 

“You said on the radio, there are only five invitations. Is that true?” Mrs. Burg asked.

 

“Yes, ma’am,” Holly said. “I know six deer from here signed the list, but only five made the cut.”

 

“Okay. No matter who was cut, it will not change anything around here,” Mrs. Burg announced to the deer.

 

Holly walked over to the six deer that stood side-by-side. She looked at each one, then down at the envelopes in her hand and began. “Norman.”

 

 

 

Norman stepped forward and took the envelope.

 

“Richie.”

 

He moved forward to receive his envelope.

 

“Roger.”

 

He took his envelope.

 

“Bobby.”

 

He moved forward to take his envelope.

 

There were only two deer left. Holly looked at the last name, and a small smile curled along her lips, and then looked at the two deer. Michael stood up straighter, moving his front hooves to line up with one another. Lexi stood next to Michael, looking at Holly with her young, innocent eyes, all the while secretly praying that her name was printed on the red envelope.

 

Holly looked at the envelope, and said, “Lexi.”

 

Lexi’s eyes grew wider, not wanting to believe her ears. She looked at her friends Mary, Rhonda, and Sarah, and then turned back to Holly.

 

“Do you want your envelope?” Holly asked.

 

“Yes,” she said, then stepped forward.

 

“Wait a minute,” Michael interrupted. “Why does she get an invitation, and I don’t? That’s not fair.”

 

Lexi and the Buck-a-Neers turned toward Michael, but Michael didn’t move his gaze from Holly.

 

“Do you truly want to know why you didn’t make the cut?” Holly said, staring at him.

 

“Yeah, tell me!” He said.

 

“When you signed the original list, you were sixteen.”

 

“I’m still sixteen,” he interrupted.

 

“That may be so, but by the time the Reindeer Games start, you will have turned seventeen. If you have to blame some one, you can blame Santa, he was the one who made the restrictions,” Holly said firmly.

 

“But, Lexi, she…she’s a doe!” Michael said.

 

“Yes,” Holly said. “I guess if you truly believe, anything is possible.”

 

“But…” he said, and then was cut off by Holly.

 

“You all have until April first to study,” Holly said, addressing the five deer.

 

“What shall we study?” Lexi asked.

 

“Study the skills you have,” Holly said. “This is a big deal for the Kringle Corporation. Santa is actually shutting down the factory for the games,”   

 

“ Thank you!” Lexi said.

 

Holly gazed at the four Buck-a-Neers who appeared excited about the selection, except one, Michael, who glared at Holly, until she snapped her small fingers and disappeared.

 

                                    ¯                                 ¯                                 ¯

 

When she reappeared again, she was seated across from Faith at the Three Wise Guys’ Italian Restaurant. Directly in front of Faith, was a large plate of pinwheel pasta, meat gravy, with sausage, and a large glass of eggnog.

 

“Are you okay?” Faith asked, in between bits.

 

“Not really,” Holly replied.

 

A waitress, wearing a lady’s tuxedo, and a matching fedora, walked up to the table, and asked Holly if she wanted anything.

 

“I’ll have a hot chocolate, and a piece of pineapple pie with whipped cream,” Holly said.

 

“Coming right up,” the waitress said, then left.

 

“I heard you on the radio,” Faith said. “You sounded like a true professional.”

 

“Where were you when you heard?” Holly asked.

 

 

“I was at the Sequoia Deer Reserve in America, talking with Cosmos Petersen about his son who has just discovered how to fly, and Cosmos is having a problem keeping the fawn grounded,” Faith said, then sopped her bread into the meat gravy.

 

“So, you know I was at the orphanage when I was on the phone,” Holly said.

 

Faith nodded as she ate.

 

“Well, I delivered the last five envelopes, and there were six deer who signed the list…” Holly said, and then let the words trail off when the waitress approached with her meal.

 

When the waitress left, Faith swallowed her food, and said, “Which deer didn’t get an invitation?”

 

“The oldest one-Michael,” Holly said, taking a bit of pie.

 

“I take it, the doe made the cut?” Faith said, knowing that she had.

 

Holly nodded “Out of the thirty-four invitations you passed out, how many went to does?” .

 

Faith placed her fork down onto the plate, wiped her mouth with a cloth napkin, and thought about the question.

 

“Come to think of it, all my invitations went to bucks,” Faith said. “What about you?”

 

“Lexi was the only doe,” Holly replied, then took a sip of her hot chocolate.

 

“I believe we should keep an eye on her, so the competition stays fair,” Faith said.

 

“I agree,” Holly replied.

 

Holly and Faith finished their meals, paid the waitress, and with a simple snap of Holly’s fingers, the two elves were gone.

 




© 2012 Fictioneer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
Added on November 13, 2012
Last Updated on November 13, 2012
Tags: Fiction, friendship, Christmas, Santa, Reindeer, Holiday


Author

Fictioneer
Fictioneer

Orlando, FL



About
I have been writing freelance for ten years and taught Language Arts to adult students for the GED program in the state of Florida. In addition, I also developed a Creative Writing program for adult s.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Fictioneer