Mysteries of History-1905

Mysteries of History-1905

A Story by Fictioneer
"

A short lesson in history.

"

Mysteries of History

 

“Would you like mayonnaise with that?”

 

 

Over the years, historians bickered back and forth about the origin of the word mayonnaise. Some believed that the word derives from the French verb Manier, meaning to mix or blend. Now others truly believe that the word comes from old French, moyeu, meaning egg yolk. Whichever the case may be, the battle will continue until the truth is uncovered.

The first recorded English use of mayonnaise was in an 1841 cookbook, and referred to as salad cream. Its use was in well-known restaurants and noble households around Europe for many years. In 1905, a native New Yorker, Richard Hellman, took his wife’s homemade recipe, prepared it, and began to sell it in his Columbus Avenue storefront. The product became so popular in New York that in 1912, he built a factory to produce it in large quantities, and they say the rest is history.

If this native New Yorker did not take a chance on a product that his wife prided herself on, the world would have missed Hellman’s Blue Ribbon Mayonnaise.  

 

 

 

© 2012 Fictioneer


Author's Note

Fictioneer
Please be honest

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 12, 2012
Tags: Non-fiction, History, mayonnaise

Author

Fictioneer
Fictioneer

Orlando, FL



About
I have been writing freelance for ten years and taught Language Arts to adult students for the GED program in the state of Florida. In addition, I also developed a Creative Writing program for adult s.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Fictioneer