On the Bridge

On the Bridge

A Story by Jade Renee Bacon
"

A short description of what a crush feels like.

"

We sit together, quite often lately. You with your tablet and I with my laptop, sitting in complete silence except for the occasional small talk. You always have this kind of happy grin on your face. Usually because you are listening to that hilarious radio show you seem to listen to everyday and always tell me about.  It’s funny to just gaze at you over the top of my laptop screen, where you can’t see me. I could stare at you for an hour and you’d never be able to tell. Just the way I want it… If you knew that I found you utterly adorable, you’d probably stop sitting with me.

 

A girl like me isn’t supposed to like a guy like you. Sure, we can be friends but the ranks of propriety (as if out of a Jane Austen novel) push us apart. I am not very social, I am not that attractive, and I certainly am not as intelligent as you. You are confident, handsome, and have a good career ahead of you. The lines don’t match up between us, and yet I can still feel a magnetic pull between us. At least I to you, but I cannot feel a return from you. Not even a tiny spark, just empty space.

 

This is how life goes for girls like me. We yearn for the guys we can’t have and settle for the ones we don’t want. We give up all our ideas of romance just to at least be slightly satisfied that “someone” wanted us.

 

And you, you’ll probably end up dating some gorgeous girl who won’t treat you well, but you’ll stay with her because other guys are jealous. You got the “trophy”, but not the “prize”.

 

Someday we’ll look back on these moments here on the bridge, between the student center and the library, where we laughed together and I stole glances at you in secret and we’ll miss them. Or at least I will.

 

I will miss your grins and laughs and the way you would play with your ear buds as you listened to the radio on your tablet. But I doubt you will miss me, sitting silently across from you; tapping away on my keyboard, laughing too hard at yours jokes, and having my heart silently broken with each passing day.

 

Here’s the moments I’ll never forget and you’ll never remember.

© 2013 Jade Renee Bacon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Unbelievable story!
But very frank and honest expression.
You put some wonderful lines.
"And you, you’ll probably end up dating some gorgeous girl who won’t treat you well, but you’ll stay with her because other guys are jealous. You got the “trophy”, but not the “prize”."
The last line is really a classical quote.
" Here’s the moments I’ll never forget and you’ll never remember."



Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 10, 2013
Last Updated on September 10, 2013
Tags: crush