The Witcher: Second Chance

The Witcher: Second Chance

A Story by Randall Russell Toll
"

At five years old the most powerful elder blood on the continent is now on the loose. Trying to find her, Yd and CIri race against time and battle against determined foes as they continue to search.

"

Chapter 1

 

Ciri was getting rather worried now. It was only supposed to be a simple job. Find Yen then return back home to set out for the item they needed. Now a week and a half went by without seeing him. Then suddenly she was woken up in the dead of night by the sound of someone yelling. Ciri and Mistle, who was in the bed next to her, both woke up and ran out of the hallway. They sprinted across the wooden floor in nothing but their underwear and saw a tall dark haired woman with a man slumped in her arms. Ciri said, “Yen you’re--

She cut her off, ‘Ciri not now…. I need a place to set him down and work’.

Mistle replied, ‘Follow me we’ll take him to the bedroom’. The man was wrapped in a white towel. Yen carried him in over her shoulder and Mistle opened the bedroom door for her. Yen set the wounded man down on the bed and took the towel off of him. She lit the candles in the blue walled wooden floored room and took his chest armor off. Mistle looked away for she wasn’t one for ghastly sights. Ciri couldn’t stop staring at him. “What……….happened”? She asked.

Yen waved her hands and they glowed green. She ran them over his wounds and replied, ‘We……..I…...thought we could teleport around here without anyones knowledge. I didn’t know that Adrian tracks that sort of activity. We were ambushed by twenty to thirty men Ciri. We killed them all but he suffered terribly. He woke up only a few days ago. I……...tried to keep him alive but…..I’m now exhausted and haven’t slept in a day. I found you here by chance when a local man claimed to have seen you walk back home drunk outta your mind’.

Ciri defended herself by replying, “That was Mistle not me but…... same difference”. She sighed and looked more closely at the deep red gash. It ran from his pecs to his belly button nearly touching his groin area. His neck had a nasty gash that ran from right to left as well.

Ciri wiped tears away from her eyes and sat on the red colored bed. “Will...he survive”?

Yen sighed and replied, ‘Yes…..barely but he will survive. Ciri he’s a hero in every right. We should’ve died in that chaos. I don’t know how he managed to do what he did but my Gods…...he did it’.

Yen stopped the spell and sighed. ‘Perhaps tonight I can get some sleep. Last night he was vomiting and couldn’t keep anything down. I had to stay up all night to watch over him’.

“Yen…..thank you”. Ciri said as she got up and hugged her mother. Yen put her arms around her and said with tears in her eyes, ‘My daughter…….it’s been too long’. Both women stood in each other's arms and wept. Mistle left the room to fetch food for them to eat. They parted and sat on the edge of the bed together. ‘How’s life been lately’? Yen asked as she wiped her eyes. “Pretty good. Well better now that I know you’re ok. Yen…….I want to live my life with him and be done with all of this killing. It drives me crazy every time he comes to me like this”.

Yen nodded and replied, ‘I’m sure it does. I’d feel the same way’.

Ciri chuckled and said, “Yen…..we’ve a daughter now. She’s so cute too. Her hair is colored the same as mine and…..she’s adorable”.

The sorceress in black robes laughed and asked, ‘Is she just as stubborn as you are’?

Ciri nodded and replied, “She is indeed. She’s at Aretuza right now. Anna turned five three weeks ago. Yd and I…..have a large home out in the woods. It’s our permanent house. Oh Yen it’s so beautiful…….I ….want you to see it but I know that’s impossible isn’t it”?

Yen sighed and replied, ‘Not entirely. Once we establish a linkage to the realms we’ll be able to go back and forth as we please. We’re not invincible mind you but let’s call it….a second chance. We only need an elder blood to start the ritual. The only thing is it’s in lodge headquarters. Your husband told me how much you despise them’.

Ciri sighed as the barely covered Mistle came in with a giant red plate of meat and bread. Yen looked at her and said, ‘Thanks…...I needed that badly’.

‘My pleasure’. Mistle replied as she sat on the left side of Ciri. They ate and talked.

“It’s true…..I do despise the lodge. They nearly killed me as you know; then they wanted to wed me to Tankred. Then more recently they pushed me way too hard as I worked under Triss. I……..suppose I’d do it but nothing else other than that”.

Yen nodded and replied, ‘I agree. I …..won’t let that happen again to you. Anyway…..it’s getting late and I’d like to get some sleep. I’ll see you all tomorrow’.

Ciri stood up and gave Yen a kiss on her cheek. She could tell it took the sorceress by surprise. Yen hugged her again and said, ‘Goodnight Ciri…..I’m sorry this didn’t occur sooner’.

Ciri replied, “Goodnight mom. I love you dearly”. They parted and Ciri shut the door behind her. Mistle and Ciri sat on the edge of the bed together. Ciri set the cleaned off plate on the black dresser and scooted up next to Yd. He was awake since he was breathing. Ciri knew he was in a coma though. She kissed his neck and with a spell she extinguished the candles. “If you don’t mind I’d like to sleep with him tonight. This bed is quite large so if you want then you can sleep in here with me”.

Mistle smiled and replied, ‘Of course I’ll join you. As if that’s a question’.

Both giggled and slipped into the covers. Ciri closed her eyes and said, “When he recovers I want to take him to that beach that we found not far from here. I don’t want to exclude you of course but--

Mistle interrupted, ‘I understand. You need time with him. Goodnight Ciri’.

“Goodnight Mistle”.

 

Yd opened his eyes and felt his chest burn like a bed of hot coals. Through a small gap in the white blinds he could tell the sun was out. The small simple bedroom seemed oddly familiar to him but he didn’t quite know where he was. Yd felt sick to his stomach and thought for sure he was going to vomit. He was sweating profusely but despite all this he felt like he was slowly getting better. His thoughts then turned to Adrian and how they were going to find the man. I should be dead once again. I should’ve died trying to fight off that many men. What’s keeping me alive at this point? Why am I still breathing? If I’m to die then so be it and let me leave this place. I feel like I can’t do this much longer. My bodies scarred to all hell. Is my curse the fact that I can’t die? He wiped his eyes and sighed. He slowly sat himself up and felt the burning worsen. It felt as if someone was waving a burning hot candle across his body in a circular pattern. He spotted his chest armor lying in the corner of the room on the wooden floor. Yd prepared himself for the pain and stood himself up. It hurt to breathe as he willed himself to walk forward. The wounded man made it to his armor; he put it on and buttoned it all up. Yd checked his swords for sharpness and once satisfied he walked out of the open door. The house was lit up from the candles and windows yet he didn’t see anybody anywhere. Yd walked to the front door, opened it, and walked out into the warm humid air. The sky was a bright blue color with a few small puffy clouds floating around here and there. A calm breeze whistled through the thick tall pines that surrounded the cabin. Yd was starting to like it here though he knew soon they’d have to move on. He saw Russ on the right side of the green colored wooden house. It looked to him like the man in green leather was cleaning his weapons. Yd conjured a small red fireball and sent it up into the air. The large ball of fire exploded creating a rumbling sound. Russ jumped and readied his weapon. Yd turned red with laughter and looked at the man. ‘Goddammit Yd………..Really? I was worried about you but now that worry is gone’. He said with a large smile on his clean shaven face.

Yd walked up closer to the startled man and asked, “did anything important happen while I was gone”?

Russ replied, ‘Not really other than your wife's friend getting super drunk a few nights ago’.

Yd chuckled and replied, “That little s**t”.

Russ let out a short laugh and said, ‘Indeed she is……. but I like her’.

Yd shook his head and conjured two wooden chairs for them to sit in; which both men did. “How long have we been here now……...little over a week and a half right? I think we should move to another town. Those men who ambushed me and the sorceress were skilled men. We got lucky”.

Russ replied, ‘From the stories your wife told us it seems like this isn’t the first time you got yourself whacked’.

Yd chuckled and replied, “That’s the truth. Got so many damn scars from doing stupid s**t that I could be a witcher”.

Both men chuckled. A cool breeze with the smell of pine washed through the area. ‘How do you see the next few days going’? Russ asked as he leaned back in the wooden chair a bit.

“Well……...We have a group here now. I…..think we should get at least one maybe two more though. Once that’s done then we go hunting. I...know damn well that it’s going to be much harder than that. Nothing that I do is ever easy. There’s issues with everything and well…..s**t happens. My only hope is that we can get rid of either the mage or Adrian. Norm’s good but not as good as the elder blood man. These next few months are going to be the hardest of my entire life. I’ll tell ya what…...I never thought I’d have a daughter and especially not one who the entire world wants to get their s**t stained hands on”.

‘Is it true? Is your daughter of the elder blood’?

Yd nodded and replied, “Indeed she is. That’s why so many want her. If she were to rule after Emhyr the world would be quite different. As soon as she’s able to hold a sword and show some maturity I need to start training her on swordsmanship. It’s the only skill that’s going to save her life time and time again”.

Russ sighed and looked into Yd’s eyes. ‘Something’s changing in the world though. I’m not sure what exactly but something’s definitely not the same. Elder bloods are being valued more and …..I hate to say it but……..you can’t expect to protect them from everything out there’.

“Why not”? Yd asked with a bit of sternness.

‘There’s way too many groups out there now Yd. It’s no longer the s**t your wife had to deal with. It’s smaller more mobile groups that want their hands on an elder blood. I say let one of them have her. A group can protect her much more easily than you. No offense of course but--

Yd cut him off. “Offense taken. I will protect her from all the Emhyr’s out there, from all the Rience’s, from all the Skellen’s, I’ll protect her from it all. I did so with my son and I’ll do the same with Anna”.

‘Don’t be naive. You lost your powers from what your wife said. I’m only telling you this as a good friend; stay out of it. If you want to hang your swords up then stay out. The second you kill any man they’re all going to be on you. Elder bloods were never meant to have kids or get married. In my opinion your wife made a rather large mistake by doing both’.

“Leave Ciri out of this. She deserves to be happy for once in her fucked up life”.

‘I never said she doesn’t but…...the elder blood line is getting wiped out. Anna’s what…...five you say? Do you know she’s ok? Do you know for absolute certainty that she’s alive and well? Let the lodge take care of her. Or even the Temarian’s if you hate Nilfgaard. They can give her a good life. Again no offense I….just want you two to live a peaceful life’.

There was a long pause where Yd closed his eyes and thought about the words that rang in his head. He sighed and opened them back up. “I want her …..to be free of politics…..free of the bullshit that my wife and I had  to deal with. I will not hand her over to a group of mages who can’t even control their periods let alone an elder blood. No……….she’ll live with us till she’s old enough to survive on her own. Even then we’ll keep a close watch on her. D****t Russ I know it means more work and less chill time but I’m used to that”.

‘Yd what about your wife? Is she used to it? How do you think she feels when you leave her to chase after people’?

“I told you to leave her out of this and I meant it. Most of the time she’s with me when we do that sort of thing but she knows what she married into and so do I”.

There was another long pause followed by the sound of noisy birds flying through the forest. “Where’d the women go anyway”?

Russ sighed and replied, ‘Into town if I do recall’.

“How long ago did they leave”?

‘A few hours ago. Sometimes Yd women take their time. Relax here with me’.

“No. Ciri doesn’t take her time nor does Yennefer”.

Yd stood up and saw twenty to thirty of the same men he and the sorceress dodged a week ago closing in around him. Russ stood up behind him and said, ‘You see now Yd. I don’t think you’ve got a choice. Didn’t you find it amusing how my men showed up right outside of the house at a perfect time to attack? Yes…….. I coordinated that all along’.

Yd sighed and felt anger build inside his chest. He turned around to look at Russ who now had his sword in his hands. ‘See Yd the thing about power is those who don’t have any want some and take it from others who do have it. I want to know where your wife is’.

“You mean you don’t know then”?

‘Correct……... I don’t actually know. But I know you’ll tell me. Besides I used to be an intel officer for the Iron Legion that served here many years ago. I know some unpleasant ways to make someone talk’.

Yd felt ashamed he didn’t catch on sooner and kill the man when he had the chance. Yd sighed and recalled the spell to summon portals. “Ya know…..power is a funny thing. The tables can shift in funny ways sometimes”. Yd lifted his hands and was gone. ‘F**k!! F**k!!........Well done Yd….well done indeed. Don’t worry though. You will be found and you will be hung’. Russ said with a grin.

 

Chapter 2

 

Yennefer, Mistle, and Ciri were riding as fast as they could away from town. Just over an hour ago they were enjoying each other’s company but everything changed when the men in black steel armor came through the town. The men were headed right down the path that led to the house and Yen knew they had to leave. Luckily they didn’t spot the ashen haired woman as today she wore her hood and bandanna; With some prodding from her mother of course.  

“We shouldn’t have left him like that Yen! He’s wounded and defenseless against that many men”!! Ciri yelled over the rush of wind whipping past them. The sorceress in dark black robes and long black hair replied, ‘Calm down Cirilla. I know how it must feel to leave him…….we had no choice though. If we stayed then all of us would’ve been captured. This way at least we can get you as far away from their grasp as we possibly can’.

Ciri rode right up next to Yen and replied stubbornly, “I’m going back for him”!

‘No….Ciri you’ll be killed’! Yen shouted.

“I know how to take care of myself”!

‘Ciri those men damn near killed your husband and I; now you want to go back into the hornet's nest? Think…..calm yourself and think. We have to retreat away and regroup. We’ve got far too many men chasing us and besides your husband can handle himself for now’.

Ciri remained silent and rode up further than the two other women. Yd I’m sorry……...Once again I’m leaving you like this. The three women worked their way north to establish a link to the Northern Realms before the planes were closed. Yen knew they didn’t have much time as she felt the magical energy that was being generated for the closing. They rode deeper and deeper into the volcano infested red skied north at a pace that was faster than any of them had ever gone in their lives.

 

Yd appeared not far from Aretuza. He wanted to get Anna out of the school, for he worried that armed with the information, Russ would go after her. His theory was proven valid when he saw in the distance a whole group of men. They were in the city itself which meant that the school was under siege already. Yd sprinted into the large city as fast as he could. He saw large explosions and heard screams in the distance. It was dark in the realms which made the fires seem eerie in the moonless night sky. Shops, houses, and taverns were all set ablaze and burned brightly all through the city. Yd entered the outskirts and made his way to where the giant shell like Island was. Mages were battling against the black men and for now at least keeping them under control. He stood still for a bit too long as an arrow hit him in his left arm. Yd pulled the projectile out as well as his sword. Five men swarmed him all at once. Yd dodged and danced around them. He countered one of the men and sliced his head off cleanly. As soon as he did so he was whacked by a massive hammer with spikes sticking out of it. They cut deeply into his neck. Yd swore and blocked it out though he knew it was a critical wound. Suddenly one of the mages nearby joined in the fray and together the two of them cleaned up the group. Yd looked at the young women dressed in blue robes and said, “My daughter…...I need to get to my daughter who’s still inside”!

The woman shook her head and replied over the noise of explosions and screams, ‘You can’t…...it’s locked down for the night. Unless the grandmaster mage orders an evacuation visitors aren’t allowed in’.

“Do you see what the f**k’s happening here!? It’s because my daughter’s an elder blood! I need to get her out of here”!!

‘Well that changes things a bit I suppose! Follow me’!!

 

Anna woke to the sound of violent explosions and men yelling. She panicked and wondered what was causing the violence. She got out of the dark blue colored bed and put her fuzzy pink pants on. She made her way to the large rectangular window when she heard a knock followed by the door opening and a familiar man appearing. Anna smiled and said, ‘Dad’! She ran up to him and hugged him tightly. Yd lifted her up off the ground and wrapped her in his arms. Anna had tears in her eyes as she realized her dad was hurt on his neck. Yd tried not to cry upon feeling her small tiny hands grasp onto his skin. Yd sighed and said, “Alright…..we need to get you out of here now ok? Hold onto me tightly”.

She felt scared. ‘Da….dad…….what’s going on…….why…...people screaming’?

“Shhh my darling. Things are fine”. The sorcerer was right next to him and said, ‘I’ll help get you two out of here and clear a path for you’.

Yd nodded and saddled Anna on his neck. He took his sword out and held it in his right hand. The pair sprinted across the red carpeted dimly lit halls and turned right around the corner. A giant explosion suddenly occurred right next to them, knocking the pair down onto the ground. The building was made of thick stone brick and as such the material hurt when it acted like a projectile in the explosion. Anna started to cry as men poured through the opening. Yd got himself off the ground as did the mage. He nailed the first man in the neck then whirled and caught the second in his unprotected legs. The other two were taken out by a single bolt of hot orange fire that seemed to appear from thin air. ‘There’s our way out then’! The brown haired woman shouted over the violence. Yd grabbed the crying ashen haired five year old from the debris and held her in his left arm. He wiped blood away from his eyes so he could see. She led the way through the large opening and the two of them dropped right onto the white stone bridge that led back to the mainland. Yd saw other mages were exiting the building as well. The woman led them around the explosions and soldiers. The city was made up of tightly grouped homes that offered good protection and allowed one to be sneaky if one chose to be. Out in front of them three more men loomed. The woman fired off her spells and defended them as they ran past. The men screamed and yelled as they were completely vaporized by a volley of magical projectiles. The bloodcurdling yells made Yd cringe.  ‘Daddy!..............I’m scared’!!.... She sobbed.

“Relax…….we’re almost out of this”. Yd could see the end of the houses and knew they were getting close. Suddenly from behind a large brown house came two men. One knocked him to the ground via a well aimed punch to the neck. The other pinned him as the first man grabbed Anna. The woman saw it and immediately gave chase. “Get her back then get the f**k out of here”!

‘I will!! Meet me in the land of wine and kings’!!

Yd punched the man right in his neck area. The man staggered long enough for him to be able to get up. With his lance the man in black armor jabbed aiming for his right shoulder. Yd just barely blocked the weapon however he underestimated the reach so it poked a hole into his shoulder and even though it was small, it was enough for him to feel the pain. Yd dodged and tried to counter but the man was good and knew how to fight. Yd took a chance and leaped off the ground. The man quickly brought his weapon up to block but he wasn’t fast enough. Yd landed and struck into his skull. Yd ripped his weapon back out then cut his head off cleanly. He sprinted but immediately fell onto the grey stone brick as he realized he had a small dagger stuck into his right leg. He pulled it out and got himself back on his feet. The city was now ablaze on all sides and he could feel the intense heat from the flames even though he was a good distance away from the epicenter of the chaos. Yd ran out to the woods nearby and ducked into the tall pine trees. He headed north and put his weapon away.

Within an hour he had lost so much blood that he was starting to pass out. Luckily he made it into the next town and a young man no older than his early twenties ran towards him as he stumbled to the ground. Yd spit up blood and felt himself fading fast. His last few thoughts were that of his daughter and how he had failed to protect her though he promised her he would.

 

The three women made it into the white building. Yen took them into a large red walled room with a hard white marbled floor. It was extremely bright as three large glass chandeliers hung from the low light blue ceiling. The sorceress pointed to a green colored rock and said, “All I need you to do Ciri is hold that stone in your hands and don’t let go until I say so. You may feel lightheaded once this is all done but you’ll be ok. I wouldn’t do anything to harm you’.

Ciri sighed and picked the heavy green gem up. “Ok……..go ahead”. Mistle stood in the background and watched as the black robed sorceresses hands glowed blue. She started saying something in elvish causing the rock to glow a brighter green color. Ciri’s arms struggled to hold the gem down as to her it felt like it wanted to lift her up off the ground. Yen said more and suddenly the gem exploded sending Ciri crashing into the back wall of the room. ‘S**t’!! Yen cursed. Both women immediately came over to her. Yen lifted her onto her shoulder and said looking at Mistle, ‘Well…..there’s the third mistake in my lifetime. Hold onto my hand….though it’s a bad idea to teleport out of here we need to do so in order for me to heal her back to full health’.

Mistle nodded and took her hand. Yen waved and an orange portal appeared in front of them. They walked through and vanished from the building.

 

Yd woke up in a small green walled bedroom. Through the long rectangular window in front of the bed he was resting in he could tell the sun was setting. This confused him terribly. In the room he saw a variety of weapons that hung on the left and right walls. Either I’m in the presence of a soldier or the young man just likes weapons. Yd was worried because he felt fine yet couldn’t move his arms. Every time he tried to do so he received a bright flash of neon light in his eyes and a sharp throbbing pain in his head. He relaxed a bit and looked to his left. Through the partially open door he saw two men talking. One he recognized as the young man who saved him but the other looked to be a mage or healer of some sort. The two men walked into the room and Yd said, “I can’t stay here long. In Aretuza…….a group of men stormed the city and leveled it to the ground. They’re looking for me still. Whatever you need to do go ahead and do it but get it done fast”.

The bald headed mage in red robes sighed and replied, ‘It’s gonna be hard……..but I can have you moving again by the end of the day. I then advise you to get some sleep’.

“With all do respect I want to leave as soon as you’re done patching me up”.

The man shrugged and replied, ‘Have it your way’. The mage ran his hands along Yd’s arms and he felt a sharp pain that made his head seem to explode then he passed out.

 

Ciri woke up to the light of morning. Mistle was watching her as she woke up. Ciri rubbed her eyes and said with a sigh, “Were you…..watching me the whole night Mistle”?

The tall slender woman walked over to her and sat on the edge of the green colored bed. ‘Not the whole night but part of it. How do you feel’? She asked.

Ciri slowly sat up and felt her head throbbing. “Not too bad. Mistle ……..I want to find ….no need to find Ydnar. I want you to come with me”.

Mistle looked surprised to hear such a thing. ‘Really? Me’?

“Yes…….you’re my best friend. I didn’t believe at first you changed at all but now I see you differently. I love you as a friend. I…..honestly don’t know what I’d do without you here to keep me sane”.

The straw haired woman wiped her wet eyes and said, ‘Ciri…...that means a lot to me. More than you could ever know. Ok…..together we’ll find him. I meant to tell you……...Aretuza ….isn’t that where your daughter is’?

Ciri could tell from the way she said it that the news wasn’t good. “Yes…….why”?

‘Well…..it’s been completely destroyed. I…...don’t know about Anna. I heard it from one of the mages who talked to us yesterday when Yen and I went back to the building to see if the stone could be salvaged. It was in pieces and there was no way of doing so. I…..also heard a man and a mage got away from that place alive. They apparently caused a large amount of commotion. I guess the mage who said all this was there when it happened. He saw them escape but said the man collapsed onto the ground and was pinned by one of the men. I…..don’t know Ciri’.

Ciri shook her head and prepared herself for the worst. “Well…….we have to try”.

Mistle rubbed Ciri’s scar on her cheek and said, ‘I didn’t notice that before’.

She sighed and replied, “Yeah…….it’s a present from a morning star. While I was escaping one of the men hit me right below my eye. I….was out for a bit before a kind old mage healed me back to full health. He paid the price for it but…..I owe a lot to him. Are you ready to…...wait…..can you travel with me”?

‘Yes…….your powers should be strong enough to break me out of this land’.

Ciri nodded and said, “Ok…...well….I guess the first place we’ll go is the town that’s closest to the disaster”.

‘That would make sense’.

“Indeed. Grab my hand and hold on tight”.

Mistle gripped her hand and suddenly saw a bright blue light. They vanished from the bedroom and appeared in a quiet small town. The town only had five wooden houses that sat along the right side of the dirt path that shot straight through. They let go of each other and she walked into the first home she saw. A young man, no older than twenty walked up to her with his longsword drawn.

‘Who are you’? He asked pointing the steel weapon towards both women.

“I’m looking for a man who was rumored to escape Aretuza”.

The young man’s eyes lit up. ‘Are you…...Ciri’?

She nodded her head.

‘Well…….good…...maybe he’ll survive now that you’re here’.

Her heart sank down to her feet. “It’s…...that bad”?

The man sheathed his sword onto his right hip and replied, ‘It’s worse…….his arms…...well…...we just recently got one working again. We’ve been working on the other since yesterday morning. It’s now been a full twenty four hours since we started. He’ll…..more than likely survive but….he’s not in great physical condition’.

“How’d you know my name”?

The man chuckled and replied, ‘He shouted it out multiple times in his sleep’.

Ciri let a small chuckle escape as she walked to the bedroom. Mistle stayed with the young man as she thought he was quite good looking. ‘Not one for blood are you’? He asked her.

She sighed and replied, ‘Not really no’.

‘I’m not either. We’ve got food here too. In fact…...let me grab some for myself. You want anything’?

She looked at him and replied, ‘Yes please’.

 

Ciri walked into the green walled bedroom and saw a bald headed man running his hands along Yd’s forearms. “Oh my……”. She whispered. He had scars all along his chest and shoulders. His forearms were very badly bruised as was his legs.

The man looked at her and said, ‘He’s alive…..sort of. He’s conscious too. You can talk to him if you like though he usually remains silent’.

Ciri kissed his cheek and sighed. Yd felt it over the pain he was feeling. “Again……..please”. He said with extreme difficulty.

Ciri smiled and made love to his neck for a brief moment. Her cool moist lips made him feel like his arms were totally fixed and he could take on the world. “Mmmmm damn……….it’s good to feel that again”.

Ciri wiped her eyes and replied, ‘How do you feel other than hurt’?

Yd sighed and replied, “Tired……...depressed…….regretful…...and really….pissed off”.

He yelled and moaned at the pain that shot up through him. “F**k……..careful….on that arm…….f*****g s**t hurts………”.

The mage replied, ‘Sorry but I’ve got to do it this way to avoid damage to other areas’.

Yd was breathing intently. “Ciri……”. He said through blood red lips.

‘Yes my prince’? She responded as she ran her hand through his short hair.

“You and I…….need some time…..”.

‘Yes…….I agree. I won’t leave you…….not anymore’.

The mage stood up and replied to her, ‘Well…….it’s done. He should regain full movement in a few hours. Until then…….don’t overdo it on those arms. You may leave when you feel you can get out of here’.

“Thanks…….I owe you”.

‘No….you owe me nothing. I’m a healer...this is my profession’.

The mage walked out of the room and shut the brown door behind him. Ciri engaged the lock and then lay herself on the bed right next to him. ‘Does your chest hurt’? She whispered.

“No…….not at all…...just my damn arms……..I can sort of move them……..but I’m afraid to do any sort of activity”.

Ciri nodded and she stripped herself to her bra and panties. She set her armor aside and laid her body carefully on him. Yd felt her lips moisten his neck. He fought off the pain and wrapped his arms around her. “D****t…..when I open my eyes were gonna go so fast it’ll start a fire”.

Ciri laughed and blushed. ‘Can’t come soon enough love’. She whispered.

Yd conjured a red blanket that fell like a feather on top of them and she kissed his neck once again as the pair fell asleep.

The next thing Yd saw was Adrian taking his head off cleanly with a single slash. He quickly sat up with sweat pooled all over him. “F**k……….goddamn…..stupid s**t” Yd rubbed his eyes. Ciri ran her hands across his chest. It was night time out and Yd knew they couldn’t stay here for the night. “Ciri……...I think we should get out of this town. I don’t want to risk staying here”.

She sighed and replied, ‘Ok……….I won’t fight it this time’. She got herself off of him and asked, ‘Do you feel any better’?

Yd stood up and picked her up off the bed. She blushed and he answered, “I feel like I could take the world on right now”.

Ciri chuckled and kissed his scarred chest over and over. Yd gently set her back on the bed and grabbed his chest armor. “Ya know……..I want to go back to that world we got married at. The one with the long sandy beach”.

‘Who says we can’t do that now’? She asked as she stood up and put her black leather armor on. “Well……..we’d be found almost immediately. Though we could travel to Novigrad if you’d like”?

She smiled and pressed her body against him. ‘I thought you hated Novigrad’? She whispered.

Yd shook his head. “I’m not a big fan of it but I’d go there with you. Besides it’s a big populated city. It’d be hard for anyone to notice us there”.

She sighed and asked, ‘Do you think the place with the beach is still there? The house I mean’?

Yd held her close to him and replied, “I’m sure it is”.

‘Well……...let’s go then’. She said looking into his blue crystal eyes.

“Ok let’s do it”.

‘I just need to let Mistle know where we’re going’. Ciri kissed him then walked out of the room to let the woman know.

Yd sat down on the bed and sighed. His thoughts turned to his daughter whom he failed to protect. A few minutes later she came back in and said to him, ‘Looks like she’s quite busy……...with  a man’.

Yd chuckled and stood up. “Sounds like she’s doing what we’re gonna be doing here shortly”.

She giggled and replied, ‘Oh take me into the clouds Yd’.

He held her tightly and they vanished with a bright blue flash of light.

 

Chapter 3

 

The pair ended up exactly where they wanted. The long white sandy beach was exactly as it was so many years ago. The white house was still right on the edge of the sands and the town still looked exactly like it did back when they called this home. The purple sun was out and it looked like it was only morning here. A few hundred feet away the green sea tossed and turned creating a pleasant sound as it did so. ‘Do you think our clothes are still in the house’? She asked as they walked hand in hand to the white two story home.

“I would think so unless they were moved for some reason”.

The old white stone brick house was the first home they ever had together. It sat right on the white sandy beach with other houses to the right and left of it. It was a fairly warm day today as they opened the white door and walked inside. “That brings back some memories doesn’t it”?

Ciri shut the door behind them and replied, ‘It does indeed’.

The home only had two bedrooms but at the time Yd remembered thinking about how large it seemed compared to the house he grew up in. The dark wood floors creaked slightly as the pair looked around the home taking it all in. The first floor had a large kitchen and family room. Yd and Ciri walked to the right of the staircase and into the kitchen. The granite countertops looked like they were the night they left. Above them hung wooden cabinets that stretched from one side of the counter to the other. To the right of the kitchen was the family room. The two large brown leather L shaped sofas that sat in opposite corners of the room were still there. Yd chuckled and said, “Remind me why I never repainted the walls anything other than that bright orange color”.

Ciri chuckled and replied, ‘Because I like that color’.

“Ahhhh ok gotcha”.

The pair walked back out of the room and turned to the left to head back to the front door. Just in front of the front door was a white wooden staircase that led up to the two rooms. One room was on the right and the other was on the left. Yd remembered they  stayed in the left one. They walked up the stairs and opened the white door to their bedroom. Yd sighed and thought of all the memories he had. The white walls and large brown colored closet took him back a few years. The large tan walled bathroom was right across from the white colored bed and had a rather large tub that easily fit two people. The black colored dresser sat in front of the bed and off to the sides of the bed sat two large black nightstands. Yd waved his hands making the candles and lamps that sat on the nightstands light up. Ciri opened the orange curtains and looked out the rectangular window at the town. The town had a single red brick street that paralleled the shoreline; to either side of the street sat houses and shops. Some were small such as the one they lived in and some were large and modern. They were mostly painted white and were made to be simple. Behind the town sat a large mountain range. The large grey rock obstacles jutted out from the grass covered ground and rose high enough to touch the heavens. Long thin clouds shrouded their snow covered peaks making them look rather eerie. Yd walked to the brown closet and opened it up. “Wow……..your dress and my doublet are still here”.

Ciri turned around and smiled. She walked over to look at their wedding clothes.  ‘Damn…….what a day that was..’. She said as Yd held her around her waist. The green and white striped doublet hung proudly from the red hanger it was attached to. His matching pine tree green pants hung next to the stylish shirt and his white shoes sat below the outfit. Yd kissed Ciri’s neck and let her go. She walked up to the long white dress and held it out away from closet. The strapless dress was laced with silver here and there and still looked as fresh as it had the day she wore it. Yd wiped his eyes and said, “You looked so damn beautiful in that. I couldn’t take my eyes off of you”.

Ciri turned around and he saw she too had tears in her eyes. ‘You did as well. I….actually felt intimidated by you when I saw that sharp green article of clothing’.

Ciri pressed herself up against him and rested her head on his chest. Yd held her tightly around her waist. “You can only polish a t**d so much though”.

She giggled and whispered as he made love to her soft neck, ‘Stop calling yourself that love. I married the man of my dreams. That was without a doubt the happiest day of my entire life. It felt unreal’.

After a short pause he replied, “I agree. Let’s get dressed in something a bit more comfortable and--

‘Go to the chapel? I read your mind didn’t I’? She asked with a smile.

Yd chuckled and replied, “You did indeed. Funny how easy it is to do after nearly six years of being together”.

She giggled and took herself off of him.

 

The pair got dressed in casual clothes. They were walking hand in hand along the beach. She was in a white top with dark green shorts that hugged her tightly. Yd opted for his blue shirt and blue shorts. Both wore their bright green and blue wedding rings. The articles of jewelry glistened in the bright purple sunlight; nearly blinding them. Since the area before the chapel had a small cliff the pair kept their boots on. To the right of them the green water sloshed around creating a rhythmic sound that soothed them greatly. Ciri inhaled the sweet smell of the sea and said softly, ‘I can remember…...feeling so incredibly nervous about this day. I wanted it to come; I wanted to marry you but when it arrived I was petrified’.

Yd smiled and replied as a soft breeze danced through the area. “I felt the same way. Seeing you walk in wearing that dress…….I knew you were a princess but…...I was speechless. I damn near forgot my name at that point”.

Ciri laughed like a ten year old girl and felt peaceful; more so now than she ever had in the past. In the distance loomed the large white chapel. It’s triangular white stone spire pointed high into the sky as a symbol that could be seen even from their house. From the white spire down to the lantern and belfry it’s flamboyant architecture and monolithic appearance made it stand out among the simple quiet houses in the town. The pair walked up to the church and entered through the archway. The inside had large stained glass windows depicting certain religious scenes. The Goddess of Melitele and Kreve were among some of those pictured. The others he knew very little about. As they walked slowly along the red carpet that was laid out across the light blue stone floor Yd pointed to a wooden pew to the right of the aisle and said, “I think that’s where your mom and dad sat”.

‘Indeed I believe you’re right’. She agreed.

The memories came back to them stronger than anything they’d ever felt before. Both stopped at the golden elven statue. The man depicted was holding a woman up with one arm and battling a beast with a sword held in his other hand. How truly it depicts us. It’s almost scary in a way. It shimmered from the sun coming in through the windowed belfry above. Yd held both of her hands and asked, “How did it go?.......I Ydnar, Dallran, Otll,  pledge my vow to you, to always be by your side….In the good times and the bad times in the rain or shine”. Ciri felt tears of joy once again run down her face as he continued,

“To be your husband and protector for my love knows no end. As we take the journey through life together, forever, yours truly”. Yd saw tears rolling down her beautiful face as he met her eyes.

She wiped her eyes again and said looking directly at him, ‘I Cirilla, Fiona, Elen, Riannon pledge myself to you to be your wife and confidant...For as long as I live I’m yours to hold and cherish... I will walk the path with you through trials and hardships bitter and sweet... And I will always love you, now, and until my last breath of life’.

Yd with wet eyes imitated the priest’s voice and said, “From this day onward let it be known that these two will take the journey through life together, as husband and wife. You may kiss your bride”.

Their lips touched beautifully. Ciri closed her eyes and felt the same tingles and explosions that she felt the day the real thing happened. The electric pulsation spider webbed it’s way through her body like a rogue horse through a city. After a long kiss she retracted and rested her head on his chest. He held her tightly. ‘Yd…...I couldn’t have done better in finding someone. The fact that we both remember those words…….many other couples would’ve long forgotten them by now. I love you so much…….I never want to leave you again…..You’re such a gentleman to me’. She whispered with the voice of an angel from the heavens.

Yd had to wipe his eyes from the rain that seemed to pour from them. “I do my best. All I ever wanted was to make you forget the past……..I wanted to give you that which you thought you’d never have. Even through the hard times we get by and manage to hang onto what we have. I…..really couldn’t ask for better……….my life was saved by you when you kissed me all those years ago at the cabin in the woods of Kovir. I’d go to the end of the world and do it all over again just to have you in my arms once more. My love for you Cirilla is unending”.

She raised her head off his chest and they touched again. Her face was wet as she felt the full force of the words he said wash over her like the waves of a warm ocean. His protective arms encased her in the strongest of armor and made her feel invincible; nothing not even darkness could touch her for in her eyes he was the light that guided her out of danger and peril time and time again. Yd forgot all about his daughter and remembered why he fell in love with Ciri all those years ago. More than a pretty body to him; she was his shelter from the cold, his medicine for any disease, and his companion fit for any adventure that he may embark on. She turned to her thoughts as she brought her hands up to his scarred neck, Can we just stay here? Stay here and be done with the killing? Stay here and simply love each other? We’ve gone through so much pain and suffering. Yd……...no more…...I’m stuck to you like a bad habit. They parted and she smiled vividly. Ciri held his hand as they walked slowly back out of the chapel. ‘I only wish that Anna has a similar experience’. She said as he helped her down the sandy cliff to the beach.

Yd chuckled and replied, “I agree………..about our daughter…...well no I’ll tell you later”.

Ciri nodded and to his surprise she didn’t argue the point. It was clearly mid morning now which meant people with their kids were seen walking along the beach and through the town. Young children chased each other across the white fine sand playing tag and various other games while their parents laid on a towel to relax. Ciri let go of his hand and kicked her boots off. She did the same with her socks. He took the hint and followed suit. Both put their rings in their shoes as to not lose them in the surf. Yd conjured up two blue towels that fell right next to each other on the sand. ‘Silly sea water makes my hair all messed up’. She remarked as she took her hair tie out and let her ashen grey mass fall flat to just below her shoulders. Yd chuckled as he took his shirt off and set it down next to his boots near the towel. “I would say the same about mine but I don’t typically have that problem Ciri”.

She giggled innocently and took her white top off exposing her green bra. Yd left his dagger, that he always had on him, in his boot. He ran then while doing so he picked her up and entered the warm bath tub like green water. The bottom of the sea was all sand unlike the Great Sea which was mostly dense rock. Ciri giggled as they wrestled around in the crystal clear water. His silver necklace shined like a thousand little stars in the direct sunlight. They splashed around for a while in the waves then walked back to the towels where she laid herself down on her right side. Yd laid right behind her and wrapped her in his arms. Her wet body was slippery. She closed her eyes and said softly above the roar of the waves, ‘I love all the memories I have with you. I was right all those years ago…..you were the one’.

Yd wrapped his whole body around her and kissed her soft wet skin. “I want to stay here with you forever. Call me soft but I don’t want to leave anymore”.

Ciri moaned and whispered, ‘Mmmm you’re not soft. It’s called living. I know…...we can’t do that since if we do….well….they’ll find us’.

Yd chuckled and said, “Why did I start this conversation on leaving once again? Sorry Ciri. I never said it so it never happened. Let’s pretend we’re not being hunted anymore…..we’re simply two lovers making up for lost time”.

She giggled and replied, ‘Yes…….let it be so from this day forward……..till tomorrow…...my prince’.

Yd chuckled and closed his eyes. “My princess…..till tomorrow”. They fell asleep on the white sands of the beach that meant more to them than any could know.

 

Chapter 4

 

Anna woke up wondering where she was. She felt herself moving but it was dark all around her. She heard a soft voice whisper, “Relax little one. You’re safe with me”.

‘Where’s my dad’?

“Somewhere safe I’m sure. We need to get you far away from the Northern Realms. I know I promised your father I’d meet him in Toussaint but it’s overrun by those men that tried to take you”.

They were in the back of a covered two horse wagon. The wagon was helping them escape from the south into the free north.  

‘I’m scared………..what if he can’t find me’?

The sorceress replied, “It’ll be a bit before you see him again. This is a dangerous time to know an elder blood since those who have any information are immediately looked at as non humans and as such are hunted to extinction”.

‘Are we safe’?

“Yes ashen one we’re safe. It’s night time; try to get some sleep. We’ll be at our destination soon enough”.

Anna sighed and felt unsure of the future.

 

Yd and Ciri woke up from the rain that was starting to come down. It was the afternoon, and Yd knew that in the summertime, especially close to the shore, afternoons brought with them a large amount of rain. ‘Mmmmmm let it rain……...I don’t really care when I’m sheltered in your arms’. She said softly. Yd ran his lips across her neck and replied, “That’s how I feel too”.

He heard her stomach growl slightly as they were lying there on the towel. “Are you hungry my princess”? He asked.

‘I am indeed. Is my husband willing to take me to lunch’?

Yd smiled and replied, “Always”.

‘I just don’t want to get up from this’.

He chuckled and kissed her neck again. “I don’t either…….days like this are so far apart”.

She sighed and replied, ‘I know………….Oh your hands are so warm’.

Yd chuckled and ran his hands across her upper body to warm her up a bit. Ciri yawned as the cold rain started to fall harder now. ‘I suppose at some point we should get up if we’re going to go eat……….right?………..I don’t hear anything………….Yd’?

She opened her eyes and turned herself around in his arms. She poked him in the chest right where one of the pressure points was located. He jumped and opened his eyes. “Really?.......you wanna play that game Ciri”?

Yd did the same to her and knew exactly where she liked to be touched. She laughed uncontrollably and wiggled in his arms.

‘Yd……..please……….I give in……’. She said while continuing to giggle.

“That didn’t sound sincere”. He said as he continued tickling her all over.

She laughed harder and grabbed his hands to try to hold him back. When she regained her ability to breathe their lips touched repeatedly and she felt the sparks re-ignite. ‘Mmmmmmmm. I suppose ………...right’?

Yd felt the cold drops pick up in intensity. “If we gotta. Damn, I miss this so much when we’re out dealing with crap”.

‘Me too……...Are you sure they’re going to follow us here love’?

Yd sat up and then stood himself up with minimal use of his arms. “I do…...I never know for sure but we shouldn’t take chances. They’re men without hearts forged only to kill”.

Ciri stood up and rubbed the sand off of her. Yd walked up to her and said, “Turn around there’s more on you”.

Ciri did. Yd wiped her butt though it was clean. ‘Yd…...please….You’re terrible around me’. She said with a laugh.

“It’s true; I am”. He kissed her neck and then handed her the white top that was on the towel. He took his ring out of his boot and slipped it on his right hand ring finger. Yd put his socks and wet boots back on and said, “Ohh ohhh this rain is as cold as ice”.

Ciri chuckled as he put his boots on and shivered. The ashen haired woman slipped her ring on her left hand and stretched. She put her wet boots on and left her shirt off as did he. Yd picked up the blue towel and they slowly walked hand in hand back towards the house. He looked at the green water and wished desperately that they could spend a whole week here. Ciri picked up on it and shook his hand to pull him out of his thoughts. ‘I know…...we’re thinking the exact same thing’. Ciri said with a sigh.

Yd looked back towards the house and said, “I wanna give you the world Ciri. I wanna take you everywhere and watch the sunset with you. A good drink somewhere nearby and you in my arms; not giving a damn about what the world thinks or sees. I……..feel ashamed that I can’t do that for you”.

Ciri stopped walking and dropped her gear. They kissed deeply near the house in each other's arms. The kiss was the longest he’d ever felt. When it was over she whispered, ‘You’ve given me so much Ydnar. Two kids, a dog, a cat, many houses with the best one being our permanent residence, and your love. Being honest and all I don’t want the world…….I just want you’.

They kissed again and he dropped all the things he was carrying to hold her even more tightly. In the distance thunder rumbled making most people head into their houses though both felt invincible and as such they decided to stay out in the rain. After a long period of time Yd held her close to him better than any man could and felt her fragile hands grip onto his strong shoulders. They stood there for quite some time then she sighed and kissed his neck. Yd let her go and picked up the rest of the gear. The pair walked to the front door and he opened it up. “Uhhhhhhhh this isn’t right…….Did either of us lock the door before we left”?

‘I…...I don’t remember’. She replied with a confused look on her face.  

The entire house was completely dark. Yd cautiously moved around and headed into the kitchen. From behind the wall to the right of the archway came the attempted swing of a sword. Yd backed up as three men rushed him. Ciri teleported behind one of them and grabbed a sword out of the man’s back pocket. She used her agile body to slash one black leathered man across his back; spraying blood all over the floor and ceiling as she did so. The man that swiped at Yd tried a vertical slash. Yd stepped to the right and hit the man hard in his neck region; knocking him right to the ground. He put him in a headlock as Ciri backed him up and stabbed the last man through his chest just before he sliced Yd’s head off. That’s how we do things here. No simple bandits are getting their hands on my husband.

“Stop squirming and get ready to talk”. Yd said as he pulled the man up off the ground. He shut the door and walked into the kitchen with the man still in his arms. Ciri gripped the red handled sword and watched the man carefully with hawk like precision. ‘I’m not telling you s**t you elder blood f**k’! The man yelled, pulled a dagger from his chest pocket, and stuck the sharp blade into Yd’s right hand. Yd yelled at the pain and released the man as it touched bone but Ciri was right there; all she had to do was deliver a high kick to the man’s upper body. The man fell back to the ground and she shouted fiercely, ‘No one does that to my husband and lives to see another day’!! She walked over to him and delivered a swift punch to his neck making him spit up blood. Yd pulled the dagger out of his hand and pushed the pain out of his head. He walked to where Ciri had him pinned under her and using the weapon he cut a narrow slit into the man’s neck making him bleed significantly. The man yelled loudly and wiggled but Ciri held him firmly under her boot.

“Who the f**k are you and why did you enter my house”!?

The man replied, ‘Go…...to…..hell’!

Ciri kicked him in his chin and he made a howling noise as blood overflowed in his mouth. ‘We can do this all day! And believe me I want to after what you did!! I will get my revenge...I always do one way or another’! She said sternly looking into the man’s bloodshot eyes.

‘It…….was only…...supposed to be a …...simple raid…...Ohhhhh! F**k me’!! The man said as he started choking on his own blood. Yd’s hand hurt to the point where he couldn’t move it and as such he didn’t feel very sympathetic. “Listen…...I’m running out of patience and you’re running outta time….you best tell me what the f**k pathetic outfit you’re part of”!

‘We…….we’re …..just ….bandits!! I….told you…’!!

Yd shook his head and replied, “Ok and somehow bandits know I’m married to an elder blood is that it”?

Yd delivered a strong punch with his left hand causing the man to shake and shudder violently.

‘Adrian……..Adrian sent us……..’

“Why”! Yd yelled in anger.

‘He….wanted ……..the elder blood……..he’s…..closing…..the planes…..soon….he needs….elder blood….for the ritual…’

“He has elder blood in his veins”. Yd replied.

‘No’!!!! The man shouted with difficulty. ‘The…...lady …..of time...and space…..her elder blood…..the true elder blood’.

“Where is he”? Yd asked sternly.

The man was fading fast.

“Where is he quickly”!? Yd asked more urgently.

The man fell silent as blood drained from his mouth. Yd leaned against the granite kitchen countertop as Ciri sighed and shook her head. “F**k!!! F**k you Adrian!! How the f**k did you find me so damn fast”!! He yelled as he smashed his left hand onto the counter with every word he said. Yd rested his head in his hands on the counter and tried to control his anger. Ciri walked up behind him; still in her green bra and pants to put her arms around him. She kissed his neck and felt his tense muscles slowly relax. After a brief period he sighed and said, “Well…...I guess we leave now……”.

Yd turned around and tried to move his right hand. “Oghhh…...d****t……..That’s gonna have to be wrapped. Yd looked at her and asked, “Are you alright”?

She smiled and her eyes lit up; as soon as he saw it he felt invincible once again.

‘Yd as long as I’m with you I’m always alright’.

Yd wrapped his arms around her and replied, “I love you so much my princess”.

‘The feeling’s mutual my prince’.

They kissed deeply as she lifted her right leg up off the ground and held on tightly to his shoulders.

 

It was late at night now as the cart that Anna was in stopped suddenly. Anna woke up confused at what was going on. All at once things went downhill. She heard a spell being cast followed by a large whoosh sound of the cart being thrown. Luckily since the cart was open on one end she was ejected from the flying projectile before it rolled down a steep hill to the bottom of a valley. Anna was all alone in a forest. She hid beneath the tall green bushes as she watched the men in black armor murder the driver and some other occupant. Tears rolled outta her eyes as she sat on the cold grass wishing she knew how to use her power better. Anna waited for the men to leave the area. When she thought it was safe she stood up and ran as fast as she could to the north. She was defenseless except for the few basic spells she was taught during her time at Aretuza. Under the cover of darkness she ran. The world’s most powerful elder blood was now all alone at five years old.

 

Ciri and Yd were riding away from the house hand in hand. Yd had recently wrapped his right hand in a white cast in order not to move it by pure instinct since he was right handed after all. They had been on the run for an hour now and already he was tired of riding. Yd, since his white mare had died, was riding a black mare of equal stature and strength. In the distance he saw the approaching riders come full speed from the left side. “Ciri left side”!

As soon as he said it the men were on top of them. Yd’s horse took a lance to the neck and toppled over with him still on it. Ciri’s mare, which wasn’t Kelpie, took a nasty slice through it’s mane. Yd was up quickly with his sword in his left hand. The men in black dismounted and struck hard at Yd trying to keep him from getting to Ciri who was trying to get out from under her mare. Yd fought hard and countered the man slicing through his jugular. He then ran to her; kicking another aggressor out of his way as he did so. Yd pulled her out of there and she unsheathed her sword. Seven more lined up on them. Ciri was still angry about what they did to Yd earlier in the day. She used that anger to strike hard into the first contestant; sending his headless body back down to the dirt. Two more came immediately after. Yd covered her and got one of the men in the back. He fell immediately limp as Ciri chopped the other man’s head off. Suddenly Yd was flung into a large pine tree by a shockwave released from one of the men. He got himself back on his feet and tried to make his way back into the fight. Ciri was fighting five men all on her own. Yd took the pressure off by attacking two at once. He kept his attacks quick to not allow them time to recover. It was exactly what she needed. Ciri teleported behind one man gutting him open in his stomach, she spun wildly and caught a second man in his neck, then teleported again cutting the third man’s head off cleanly. Don’t mess with me.

Yd using his left hand cut partway into one man’s neck; however since his left hand wasn’t his dominant hand it didn’t kill him, only pissed him off. Yd’s solution was to throw a giant stream of flame and burn the man alive. The man screamed and fell to the ground in a pile of burning hot flesh. Yd’s sword was still stuck in the burned man’s neck as the last aggressor took a swipe at him. He rolled under the blade as Ciri sliced through the man’s head and legs. The lifeless body fell with thud to the ground. She sheathed her sword and Yd got his from the man he burned. Yd sheathed the weapon and pulled his bandanna off. Ciri ran up to him and yanked her’s off as well. He coughed up blood and clutched his head. “You…..saved my a*s…….well done”.

Ciri replied, ‘Please…...it’s the least I could to repay you for what you did for me many moons ago’. She recovered her breath and asked, ‘Are you alright’?

He nodded and continued coughing up chunks of blood. It was nearly dark now and they were out in the open grassy fields except for a small patch of pine trees to their right. Ciri rubbed his back and neck with her hand. A cool breeze wiggled its way through cooling their sweaty bodies. “I’m……..not sure how….much more of this my body can take Ciri”. Yd struggled to stand on his own. His legs gave out completely sending him to the ground. “F**k…...I…...I can’t get my a*s up……….f**k…..Ciri drag me into those trees there please”.

She grabbed him by his legs and dragged him across the ground to the large pines. “If more come then you leave me and get out of here”.

‘No…...I’ll do nothing of the sort’. She replied as he was now in the shade of the pines. Yd was exhausted. His body was beaten up and bruised all over. Ciri sat down next to him. He laid his head down to try to get his breath back since he felt his lungs burning. Ciri lowered his hood and rubbed his short brown hair. ‘My poor knight’. She said softly as she kissed his forehead.

“I’m…..not what…...I used to be”.

‘Please…...you’re tired and hurt. Just relax. If more come then I’ll take you away from here to a safe place where we can hide for a bit’.

Yd opened his eyes and saw the stars were coming out now. “How many worlds are there Cirilla”? He whispered.

‘Many, many more than I visited. Too many to keep an accurate count’. She whispered back as she took her right hand glove off and held his hand tightly. The physical contact reminded him he wasn’t alone tonight like he usually was when he was riding. A long while later he sighed and said, “Alright…..let’s at least ….get away from this mess we’ve created here”.

Ciri helped him stand and walk to the only horse that made it through the conflict alive. Ciri mounted and Yd swung himself on behind her. They started off and he held her tightly around her waist. He sighed and asked softly, “Did Yen mention me at all while you two were talking”?

‘Not …..really…...Why’?

“Because I don’t think she cares for me very much”.

‘What gave you that idea’?

“The fact that she likes to argue with me constantly even about things which I know much better than her. I don’t know…..it’s like all she cares about is what’s best for the lodge”.

‘I know how you feel. When I first met her I didn’t like her. I refused to go anywhere with her; though at the temple of Melitele, Nenneke convinced me it was for the best. It took me a while to understand her for who she was. She’s an old mage Yd. She spent so much of her life studying things and learning things in a basement. She’s not a source like you and I are’.

“I get it…...I…...guess I just thought she’d be happy to see me…….I don’t know, maybe that’s just her”.

‘I think it is. It’s not you...that much I’m certain of’.

He sighed and kissed her neck. “Mmmm can this horse go any faster”?

Ciri chuckled and asked teasingly, ‘Are you going to complain the entire time we ride’?

“I’m tired…….I’m hungry…”

‘Well then conjure up some food’. She suggested. Yd waved his left hand and a raspberry pastry, which he knew was Ciri’s favorite of all, appeared in her lap. Ciri chuckled and applauded his action. She broke it in half and inserted one half into his open mouth and the other into hers. Yd saw goosebumps appearing on her neck so he conjured a warm red blanket and wrapped it around her. Ciri smiled and whispered, ‘You’re so good to me’.

“Sometimes”.

‘All the time Yd’.

 

It wasn’t long before they neared the next town over. “See that cave to your right? The one behind that patch of pines”?

‘Yes’?

“Head for that. I’d rather not chance sleeping in town”.

She guided the brown horse to the dark cave. They were on a ridgeline and as such had a great view of the surrounding area. She brought the horse to a stop and dismounted. Yd slowly swung his legs out and over. Ciri helped him down and he walked into the dark cool space. Yd reached inside his right breast pocket and found his pain meds. Yd opened it up and popped a large red pill into his mouth. He put the cap back on and put it back into his pocket. He conjured a large blanket and then said, “Alright…..screw this you deserve better than that”.

‘No…..don’t knock yourself out trying to--

She was cut off by the appearance of a large red canopied bed that appeared in the middle of the open cave. Yd felt lightheaded but it was worth it to see her eyes light up. ‘My prince…..let us sleep’. She said as she led him to the large bed. He hopped up and took his armor off. Ciri did the same down to her bra and panties. They slipped under the covers and found each other. Yd sighed and raised his left hand. He murmured something in elvish and suddenly an illusory cave wall plopped into the opening. It was now completely dark but she wasn’t scared. ‘Yd…..this day was amazing. You make me feel so damn good’.

She rested herself on his right shoulder. Though Yd couldn’t move his hand he brought his arm around her still. “Oh Ciri you deserve it. I wished we weren’t forced to leave so soon but we had to. I want to do more while we’re here though. I love you my princess”.

She kissed his neck and replied, ‘It’s mutual my one and only prince’.

They fell into dreamland for the remainder of the night.

 

Chapter 5

 

Anna woke as the sun was just beginning to rise above the horizon. The ashen haired elder blood had spent the night deep inside a forest filled with pine trees and dense underbrush. Though she had slept better than she did that night she was glad to be alive as the memory of watching the men kill the unlucky couple was still fresh in her mind. She got herself up off the wet grass and looked around. Her thoughts turned to food as she scanned the thick pine forest she was in but to her dismay she saw nothing but trees and underbrush. Her white top was no longer white since it was marred with dirt; her green pants had the exact same problem as they no longer looked green. She decided to keep moving to the north with the idea that she might find a trail and could follow that to a nearby town. The race was now on as the men in black armor were on the hunt for her.

 

Yd awoke to the darkness and for a second he was confused since he was in a cave yet he was also in a bed. He recalled what happened the night before and reminded himself where they were. He wasn’t sure what time of day it was since he had sealed the cave with a small illusion to keep them safe over the long night. Ciri, who had her entire body on him, yawned and pulled the warm red blanket up further on her. Yd smiled at the position she slept in. She reminded him of his dog Sif who loved to curl up into a ball on a cold morning. Yd knew he needed to tell her about their daughter but didn’t know where to start looking. He also knew that as soon as they started looking and causing commotion they would be hunted once again. Adrian…...Find a way to kill Adrian…..or to get Norm. The numbers aren’t on our side. Russ you were right…...you can’t be neutral. No...we need to go after Anna. She’s powerful for a five year old. If anyone gets their hands on her then it could be the end of our existence. While we’re searching we’ve got company  looking for us…….I love a good game of cat and mouse. Yd closed his mind up and kissed Ciri’s head that poked out of the covers like a seal out of water. ‘Does that mean it’s time to start my day’? She whispered.

“I’d like to say no but….”.

‘You can still say it. It won’t hurt my feelings’. She replied.

Yd chuckled and replied, “I’m sure it won’t……..sorry Ciri…….I can start packing things up while you sleep some more if you’d like. As a matter of fact you can sit behind me today as we ride and continue to nap as we go along”.

She chuckled softly as Yd ran his hand through her smooth ashen hair that was still unretained. Yd got up out of the bed and put his gear back on. His right hand felt much better today so he took the cast off and made sure he could wield his sword properly. Upon passing the test he walked over to the illusory wall and listened for any sort of chatter or creeping sounds before he waved his hand banishing the fake wall to reveal the foggy cool morning air. He made sure the horse was ok and took a look around the area. Yd walked closer to the edge of the ridgeway and through the thick layer of dense cloud he saw the charred remains of a large city. Those animals. Those heartless animals. The once large and well built city was burned to the ground. All he could see were the bases for the structures which were made out of stone and thus didn’t burn. It was too far to tell whether or not anyone survived but he guessed many didn’t make it out alive. It reminded him of the time his house was set on fire when he was two years old. His mom and dad got him out just as the house was engulfed in flames killing his grandparents who were still trapped inside. What a s****y way to die. Scares the hell outta me. The few oak and pine trees that were around the ridgeway swayed in the breeze as the purple sun tried to climb above the fog. Ciri got herself out of the warm bed and got dressed. She made her way over to him and put her cold hands into his buttoned up armor. ‘Mmmmmm feels like an oven Yd’.

He chuckled as she rubbed his chest, borrowing his warmth as she did so. Yd sighed and said, “I’ll be honest with you……..we won’t survive long messing around with men like that. I say we prioritize looking for our daughter. Ummmm…...a few days ago…...the reason why I was injured. I went into Aretuza once I got out of the house we found Mistle at. I had a good reason to do so. I told Russ who at the time was my friend about where Anna was. Of course the smart man went after her and tore up the entire city. I….got her out …...but as a mage was leading me out….two men ambushed me……..I…..I couldn’t do it. One…..f*****g pinned me while the other took her from my arms…….The mage ran after the man and told me that she’d meet me in Toussaint. That was….well…..a week or more ago. I doubt she’s still waiting with how things have been going in the south recently. Long story short…...I messed up”.

Yd felt her lips run around the back of his neck and her hands glide across his pecs. ‘You did all you could do in a situation like that. She’s smart and knows basic spells. We’ll look for her of course but…...don’t let it get to you’.

Yd sighed and said, “Yeah…….right”.

Ciri walked to the front of him and looked the depressed man in his eyes. ‘We’ll find her Yd…...we can find anything together. I know what you’re thinking. Please…..don’t do that to yourself’.

Yd closed his eyes and controlled his anger; it was like a pissed off griffin, separated only by a thin wire mesh, ready to cause havoc at any moment. Ciri held him close to her and rested her head on his chest. Her hair was back up in a ponytail with a few strands dangling outside; it tickled his neck and drove some of the fuel away from the fire. Yd felt the strong breeze rush up from below as he said, “I’m angry Ciri……….I’m angry that I let this happen. I…...promised her I’d always be there to keep her safe no matter what. I failed. I lied to my daughter and now she’s probably wondering where the hell I am. She’s only five years old…….I…..can’t believe I let this s**t happen. I can’t believe it. It hurts worse than any pain I’ve ever had the pleasure of feeling over the years”.

‘I know it does…..’. Ciri whispered.  

Yd opened his eyes and held her around her slim waist. He rested his head on hers and rocked her. “I’m so fed up with this…...I want to love you...so much. I want to be done with this. I know we have our days of doing so but…...d****t I want more. We’re getting pulled by so many people and I feel close to breaking”.

After a long pause she replied, ‘I agree’.

Yd swallowed his regret and said in a voice that was shaky and lacked his usual confidence, “I say…..our first stop should be the continent. Let’s get near Aretuza and see if anyone reported anything. At the very least we can try to stall her pursuers”.

She raised her head off of him and they kissed. After a bit she parted, looked into his eyes, and replied, ‘I’ll never leave you Yd. We’re in this mess together’.

He smiled and replied, “There’s no one I’d rather be in a mess with”.

She kissed his neck and he asked, “How close can you get us to Dorian without teleporting right into the city”?

She sighed and replied, ‘I can get us a few hundred feet from the city’.

“Ok….let’s get outta here then”.

Yd held on tightly and they vanished.

 

They appeared amidst chaos and disorganization. Around them the once proud but small city burned with the heat of a thousand suns. Debris was scattered along the dirt path that wound around the small village. The quant simple single story homes were either on fire or completely destroyed while the bodies, some men others female, laid out in the street; some were burned beyond recognition while others were in pieces. They appeared right in the city center but that wasn’t his main concern. People ran and shouted something about black ones on the way. Yd ran towards where people were running from to see for himself. He grabbed his sword and ran to the top of a small hill to get a better picture of what was occurring. Ciri followed closely behind with her weapon held tightly in her right hand. The sun beat down upon them as Yd spotted several men approaching on horseback. The sun was directly in his eyes which aided the aggressors while blinding the defenders. Yd took shelter behind the small hill and waited for the men to come into the city. Ciri sat next to him as both put their bandanas and hoods up. “Stay close to me and don’t let yourself get separated. I want one man alive at the end of this. These aren’t black ones they’re the same exact men who attacked us the other night. I’ve no doubt they’re after our daughter”.

Ciri’s emerald green eyes lit up and flowed with adrenaline. ‘’I’ll stay right up next to you…... not to worry’. She said over the fire and screams of more people who were stuck in their houses. Death…..more death. That smell….the sweet tangy smell of burning flesh. Animals……….all soldiers are animals.

As soon as he saw the men touch the main dirt walkway he charged at them as fast as he could. Ciri had a hard time keeping up despite her slightly longer legs. The men were on horses but Yd took care of that by using a simple shockwave spell. The men were knocked off their horses all at once. Yd wasted no time and leaped to get one of them before he had the chance to get up. The five that did survive went after him but Ciri put an end to that by slicing through one man’s head. She tried to catch another but the man blocked and kicked her in her face. She was dazed from the blow but luckily Yd saw it and using a stream of flame he burned the man alive. Ciri recovered and watched as Yd thrusted through one man’s throat then was forced on the defensive by the other. Ciri tried to take his head off as she did with all the others but the man saw it and dodged out of the way. The second soldier covered the first by targeting her. Ciri was put on the defensive and forced to play the dodge and wait game while Yd attempted to strike quickly. To his surprise the man countered him suddenly; Yd was rattled a bit and as such he rolled the wrong way. The man got him in his right leg. Yd flopped onto the ground but quickly forced himself back up onto his feet. Blood poured out of the wound, despite the steel mesh that was underneath the leather armor; the man knew exactly where to strike him. Yd relied on his left leg to get him through the rest of the fight. Ciri quickly ended her man by separating his head from his body then made her way to Yd. She ran at him from the side so he could see him. The man turned and as he did so Yd tackled the heavily armored man to the dirt. The man threw a punch at Yd who now pinned him to the ground. It hit and made Yd spit out blood. The man then kicked Yd off of him and ran. He ran after him followed by Ciri. His right leg reminded him of his injury he sustained as he followed the man through the rapidly deteriorating town. The man hesitated about which way to go for a bit too long and Yd once again tackled the soldier. This time he made sure to bind the man’s arms and legs with a spell. His arms and legs now had bright purple shackles on them. Yd took a second to catch his breath as Ciri caught up.

‘Piss off…...I won’t tell you s**t! You’re more likely to make a drowner marry a priest than get information from me’!

Yd removed the red piece of cloth from his face and replied, “We’ll see. Every man has his weak spot. My question for you is why Dorian? There’s jack s**t here in this small dirt poor city for a group of soldiers”.

The man was looking at the sky lying on his back as he replied, ‘It’s true….though if you think I’m going to tell you well…...we return to my previous comment’.

The old wooden house behind the man began burning. Ciri expected Yd to stick the dagger into the bearded man’s neck or to inflict a great deal of pain somehow but instead he took the dagger and threw it away from his hands. He then knelt down in front of the man and said, “You and I…..are two of a kind. We’re both looking for something. Not because we want to but instead because we have to. Usually I kill those I torture to make a point but you proved to be a worthy adversary. I’ll allow you to live and give you a way out of the army you’re in. I just want to know where your latest intel said she was last seen”. In the background Ciri paced nervously keeping a careful watch behind Yd. The man sighed and replied, ‘She was last seen in this city. Intel says around four hours ago’.

“F**k”. Yd said as he stood back up and paced.

‘If I may ask…….what is your relation to the young girl’?

Yd sighed and replied, “She’s our daughter”.

The man nodded his head and sighed. ‘If I may offer some advice…..go after Russ. He’s damn good with a sword but he’s the one who holds us together. We’ve been trying to chase this girl for a while now with no luck. Think about that; she’s five years old and she’s outsmarting us lot’.

Yd chuckled along with the man though Ciri didn’t see the humor. “Indeed. Do you know perhaps how she got in this situation”?

He nodded his head and said, ‘I do. From what I heard she was in a small caravan headed for the north after a few days in Toussaint. She was with a sorceress when the caravan was raided late at night by a band of thugs who killed all except her. Not sure how she made it out of that mess alive but she’s still on the move’.

“And your sources reported she was in Dorian for a bit”?

‘That’s correct. She was seen in Dorain having lunch by herself at the tavern four hours ago’.

Yd shook his head in disbelief. “How do Adrian and Russ get men here so quickly”?

‘They’ve camps located all over the realms. Yes by the way you’re correct in assuming they’re working together. The odds are far against you. If I may ask…...where did you learn how to fight like that’?

Yd smiled and replied, “You may. I was a bounty hunter working under Emhyr for two years. I first held a sword at six years old and by twelve I was considered the best swordsman in Skellige”.

The man chuckled and said, ‘It shows……..I’m going to be straight up with you……...you’ve no hope of finding her. Russ and Adrian have thousands of men out there looking and we can’t seem to keep track of her. You’re fighting against something you can’t win against…...it’s not only hard but lethal. I injured your leg earlier…...if there were more of us that would’ve been it’.

“So what do you suggest”? Yd asked immediately.

‘You spared my life……..the least I can do for you is help you track your daughter down. Like you I’ve handled a sword since I was eight. I was raised in Kaedwen and at ten years old I was on the run. It was then I learned to kill and hunt for men and animals. I became damn good at it too as my life depended on it’. Ciri walked over to the two men now to listen. ‘I can’t promise anything…...the realms may seem small at times but they’re not. With the two of us hunting around…..we stand a much better chance of finding her…...besides…..I know where they’re camps are and their tactics in battle’.

Yd nodded and waved his hand. The man stood up and said, ‘The names Dunn Cramer…...I appreciate you letting me live like that’.

Yd chuckled and replied, “I feel like I’ve killed enough men lately. Names Ydnar and this is Ciri”.

The man stared at the woman under the bandanna and then looked back at Yd. ‘The Ciri? The lady of time and space’?

“Yes sir”.

‘You…..you’re married to Zireael’?

Yd chuckled at the man’s confusion as Ciri sheathed her sword. “Indeed I am. Been that way for five years now”.

‘Well I’ll be damned’.

Yd waved his hands which upon doing so turned green. He passed his hand over his right leg and it healed up immediately. Yd sighed and shook his hands to get the tingling feeling out of them. Dunn looked at Yd and said, ‘We’d best get moving. More men are going to be here soon’.

Yd  replied, “Where do you think we should head off to first”?

The man shrugged and replied, ‘She’s your daughter. I…..honestly don’t know. My group has men in every corner around here. Based on what I’ve been seeing--

He broke off upon hearing Ciri sigh loudly and pace around a bit. Yd knew she disagreed with something. “Say it Ciri”. He told looking at her.

She looked at him and took her bandanna off exposing her face. ‘I can’t see how we’re going to find her Yd. She’s constantly on the move and is staying unpredictable. The only reason Geralt found me is because I stayed in one place for a while. That’s what we need. We need her to stay in one place. I hate to say it but……”.

Yd shook his head and started walking away quickly. ‘Ydnar………..where are you going’?! She asked with authority.

Ciri ran after him and grabbed him around his waist.  She shook him a bit to get him to calm down. Yd looked into her eyes. The houses in the town stopped burning now; leaving an eerie silence.  ‘Yd…..love…...tell me what you think’.

He smiled and held her tightly around her thighs. “I think I love you”.

She put her hands on his neck and whispered, ‘Are you sure’?

“Always”.

She tilted her head and their lips touched gently. Yd loved the feeling of her moist soft lips. They seemed to lock right into his every time; as if they were meant for her. Her soft fragile hand glided across his neck leaving shocks of electricity in it’s wake. Her skin felt like the softest pillow, the warmest blanket, and the gentlest breeze. She closed her eyes and concentrated on the physical contact. Her hand brushed his cheek and then went back to his neck once more. She opened her eyes and they parted. They held each other and he said in a soft voice, “I want you every day of my life. No more separation. I’m so tired of killing and seeing blood. I agree it feels hopeless in a way”.

Ciri sighed and they touched again briefly. The gentle breeze blew a few of her loose strands around. ‘It’s wrong to feel that way I know but……...we’re only two people. How are we supposed to find her? I …..love her…...dearly I love her but ….I just feel like we’re running in circles’.

Yd nodded and sighed. “I feel the same way…...Ok……...we’ll wait for something to happen then pounce on her once it does”.

She smiled from ear to ear and said, ‘Yd…….hold onto me tightly’.

He did. She teleported them to the home past the portal with the horse pasture. They were in the armory room with the medium size wooden tub. She stripped herself naked as he casted the spell for the warm water and bubbles. Yd took everything off and conjured up two bottles of wine for them. He slipped in with one of the green bottles and she slipped in on top of him. Her entire body touched his and Yd held her tightly. He popped the bottle open and took a long drink. Ciri’s head rested on his chest as she took the bottle from him and drank. It was snowing outside once more where they were. Ciri was facing the large rectangular windows to watch the large white flakes fall gently to the ground. Neither of them said a thing but they felt the same feeling. Yd ran his hands all over her body making her blush multiple times as he did so. She shivered as he went near her vaginal area and traveled back up to her chest.

Yd kissed her head and she passed him the bottle. He took a long drink. She sighed and laid her head back on his chest. ‘Damn……….I love this…….please let it never end….even if tomorrow never comes…..I want this to be the last feeling I ever have’. She whispered.

Yd chuckled softly as he put his legs on top of hers. “I concur. If you’re up to it later we can go into town and eat dinner tonight? Just the two of us of course”.

‘Yes…...Oh Yd you needn’t ask’. She replied immediately.

He chuckled and let the warm water wash away the worst of him. “Man how five years seems to fly by”.

She chuckled and grabbed the bottle from him. ‘I agree…..I thought time went by fast when I was on the run but this……..is something else entirely’.

Ciri finished the rest of the bottle and then let out a small burp.

“Well done my swallow. Only one more to go now”. Yd complemented her.

‘Oh Gods…...you know it doesn’t take much to get me drunk’.

He chuckled and popped the second one open. “You know what I should do is put a large fireplace in here. I know we have one in the living room but why not in here as well”. He said as he took a large chug of the wine.

‘Then we’ll never leave…...though I suppose that’s the idea’.

“Indeed my princess it is. I….” He started laughing as he thought of it.

She giggled and asked, ‘You what’?

“Nothing……”.

Ciri flipped around to her stomach and looked at him with her sparkling green eyes. ‘Yd you can’t retract stories from me’. She said with laughter.

“When………”. He broke into laughter again. “When I had you in the hunting shack, just after I patched you up, I set you near the fireplace. Then I just sat there and watched you for a while. I imagined myself with you……….I never thought that dream would come true”.

Yd looked into her eyes as he grabbed her by her thighs. ‘Yet…..it did’. She whispered. He set the bottle on the rim of the tub and they kissed deeply over and over. She started to moan as the touch of his lips forced saliva into her mouth. Below her she felt his tool grow in size. Ciri reached under the water and guided him in. Yd started the sequence and pleasured her for the next few hours till she was satisfied.

 

Chapter 6

 

Yd woke up first and felt himself still inside of her. He yanked it out causing her to wake up. “Any hangover yet?”

She sighed and replied, ‘No. Wine doesn’t really do it to me unless I drink a lot of it. Strong beer though…..is a different story’.

The light was getting softer outside as the snow picked up in intensity. ‘Oh my prince……..I don’t wanna leave this tub’.

Yd chuckled and kissed her head. “Nothing says you have to Ciri”.

‘But I wanna go out with you……..Oh alright……...maybe…’.

Yd chuckled some more. “Here let me help you my princess”.

Yd picked her up in his strong arms and carefully stepped out of the tub. Ciri’s cheeks became rosy as she kissed his chest and held onto his biceps. He opened the door behind them with a spell and carried her out of the room. She started singing the song they danced to on the beach; the first time he danced with her. Yd loved the sound of her voice; it reminded him of an angel. He went up the stairs and through the open glass double doors into the dark bedroom. Yd set the naked singing woman on the bed and opened the closet. Ciri sighed and stretched. Yd heard Sif on his yellow bed and he said, “Sif……...Go get Ciri. Climb up on the bed and get Ciri”.

‘Yd….not this again…...do you really want my body to be covered in dog saliva’?

Sif jumped up on the bed and Ciri started petting him.

“Well I’ve already done my job sooooooo….”

‘Wow………..I see how you think then……...maybe our neighbor though……...he’s got a young son around your age’.

Yd ran out of the closet and jumped onto the bed scaring Sif away. He started tickling her.

“What did you mention just now”?

She laughed uncontrollably and wiggled around on the covers. ‘Yd……………..stop……..Ydnar….’. She said while laughing.

“Still not sympathetic enough”. He replied as he continued.

‘Yd…….I give in……….I surrender…….Gods………...alright………..I love you……..’. She replied still giggling and laughing.

“Oh alright I suppose that’ll work”. He said as he stopped the treatment and laid down on his back. Ciri turned to her right side and looked at his rose tattoo on his left thigh that exactly matched hers. ‘I still can’t believe you got that’.

Yd looked at her and where she was looking. “I can’t either. Oh Ciri…..I wanted to…….to show you how much I love you”.

She crawled her way up onto him and they kissed again repeatedly. ‘Hmmmmmm at this rate we’ll never leave…..though believe me I’m not complaining’.

Yd chuckled and continued making love to her lips. “Mmmm alright…..let’s get out there then eh”?

‘Indeed before we fall asleep together’.

“I thought I’d sleep on the couch tonight”? He asked teasingly.

‘Oh Yd…….don’t even joke about that’.

He chuckled and kissed her one last time before he got up from the bed to get dressed.

 

The sun was nearly down now but neither cared for they were in no hurry. It was rather cold out today as the snow made it hard to see where they were riding to. Ferangar was unmistakable though. It wasn’t long before he recognized the S shaped town that was all lit up for the night by an array of tiki torches on both sides of the snow covered trail. The small two story cottages sat to the left side of the trail near the unfrozen lake. The tavern, along with the other shops, hugged the right side. The town looked romantic as all the redwood buildings were covered in thick white snow as were the large hardy pine trees that enveloped the entire town. Ciri had on two layers. She was wearing a royal green long sleeve top but over that she had a thick brown coat with silver lace that ran around the trim. The buttons were made of brass material. Her leather pants matched her coat in terms of color, and hugged her skinny lower body. He wore a long sleeved blue shirt and his warm brown vest over the top of that. Yd preferred black pants but this evening he pulled out his blue pants that matched his blue shirt almost exactly. On the inside of his vest he carried two large ruby handled daggers; he preferred to be careful since they were still being hunted. The pair brought their black mares up to the tavern and dismounted. Ciri yawned as they went for the door. “Tired already”? Yd asked as he held the door for her.

‘I know…...well the cold doesn’t help any’. She replied.

Yd nodded as Ciri led him to a red and white colored booth in the far corner of the room. The building was all lit up on the inside by a number of torches that hung on the walls above their heads. Inside it was of average busyness. Though Yd didn’t expect any real trouble he reminded himself to be cautious when talking about certain things. The man behind the counter noticed the pair and brought food immediately over to them. The man’s name was Gafner; he was an older gentleman with very little hair and a large grey beard that ran the length of his face. He was the kind of man Yd liked knowing as he had a very kind heart. Gaf brought a plate of seafood and breads to the pair and asked, ‘How’s life lately’?

Yd answered, “Feels like it should Gaf. What’s the latest around here”?

Yd could tell the man was nervous for no reason he knew of. That worried him deeply. Yd scooted over in the booth for the old man to sit down next to him. The man made sure there was no one looking in their direction and then whispered, ‘I’m surprised to see you two here right now’.

Ciri ate more cautiously now. Yd asked looking at the man, “Why’s that”?

The man in a white robe and black pants rubbed his bald head and replied, ‘Well……...there have been multiple murders along these parts. We don't’ know who but there’s a rather high bounty on the man or woman committing them. As you two know I’ve a wife and two kids. I told them before I left this morning to shut and lock the door. Let nobody in unless they say a phrase that only I thought of’.

Yd nodded and replied, “You should have nothing to worry about since you’re a well liked guy in these parts”.

The man’s brown eyes became bigger. ‘No that’s why I’m worried. A little while ago they got one of the political superficials in his own home. Can you believe it?  He was in his own house and he wasn’t safe’!

Yd sighed and replied, “I…..know the man you’re talking about. It was rather disturbing and gory”.

The man looked closer at Yd and asked with surprise, ‘You saw the man who was killed’?

Yd sighed and replied, “Indeed I did…..or what was left of him anyway. It appeared as if he was tortured before he died. His genitals were cut off and” -- Yd looked at Ciri and said to Gaf, “Well…...he was in great pain before he eventually died”.

Gaf shook his head and then said, ‘Poor soul. He was well liked by many around here. I’m worried Ydnar. For my family…….not so much for me as I’m old but for my young wife and daughter. My son’s eighteen now and can use a sword very well…...but men like that Yd…….upon seeing my wife and daughter……...Ughhh it drives me insane thinking about that. These attacks have been getting more and more numerous too’.

Yd ate a large chunk of clam meat and then said, “I’ll tell you what…...I’ll travel with you to your house tonight; to make sure it’s safe. You’re a kind man to me and my wife. It’s the least I can do to return the favor”.

The man smiled sweetly at Ydnar and said, ‘May Melitele’s love bless thy. I get out in an hour from now. I really do appreciate this……..it means a lot to me’.

Yd Squeezed the man’s left shoulder and said, “Any time Gaf”.

The man got up from the booth and returned to the counter. Ciri looked at Yd and said, ‘You didn’t tell me about that’.

Yd smiled and ate more of the seafood. “I didn’t want to worry you about that. That was the same night I took care of my lycanthropy”.

She nodded and said, ‘Ahhhhh I see. Maybe it was best you didn’t mention that then’.

Yd chuckled and leaned back in the booth. “Cirilla you don’t have to go with me tonight either. I can handle bandits and local trouble well enough on my own”.

‘I know you can but I still want to be with you’.

Yd chuckled and said, “I should’ve expected that much from my Ciri”.

‘Indeed you should’ve’. She said with a smile.

Once the bar was closed up for the night Gaf came over to them and said, ‘You don’t have to do this by the way. Don’t feel like you have to. You told me once that you’ve been trying to quit the whole killing thing’.

Yd and Ciri both stood up. “Relax……..You’re a good friend to us. I never turn down a friend in need Gaf…..no matter what”.

The man smiled brightly at Yd then said to Ciri, ‘You married a very sweet man; I hope you know that’.

Ciri smiled back and replied, ‘I do. He’s got a kind heart behind those strong arms’.

Yd chuckled and said, “Alright enough about me let’s go see if we’ve visitors”.

 

The ride to the house was a rather long one since the snow was really adding up now. It was well over a two feet and the horses had a hard time getting through it. Because of the hold up it was now completely dark outside save for the moon that shined brightly overhead making the snow appear to glow a brilliant white. Yd liked the snow for more than it’s beautiful appearance since it left perfect imprints of who came and went. Gaf rode up to the house with Ciri and Yd in tow. The house was a small single story cabin. It was much longer than that of Yd’s house. The rustic wooden cabin sat nestled in a forest of thick green pines on all sides and was quite secluded from any prying eyes. “This doesn’t look promising Gaf”.

They dismounted and the old man asked, ‘Why’?

“See these? These are the tracks of a horse”. Yd stated pointing to a line of hoof prints that ended at the house.

Yd then pointed to a different marking. It looked like the same basic set of hoof prints but with a rustling type pattern behind it. Almost like what you get from a child sledding down a hill. The snow was more compacted than the snow that surrounded the impression. Yd pointed to the compacted snow and said, “This isn’t……..from my years of experience I can tell someone was dragged as a trophy behind the animal. They were still alive since the compacted snow chicanes behind the tracks. The horse at this point wasn’t moving very quickly since the snow wasn’t kicked up very much. I see only one set of tracks here which means the man or woman worked alone. That’s not a good sign since it means whoever did this is confident and bold”.

The man looked at Yd with wide eyes and replied, ‘Or stupid perhaps’.

Yd shook his head and said, “No…….in my line of work the stupid ones get killed trying to do this sort of thing. The smart ones manage to do it and get away”.

Yd sighed and looked at Both the man and Ciri. “I want you two to stay out here. Ciri you protect Gaf if anything comes this way. If I find trouble then I’ll holler”.

‘Please be careful love’. Ciri reminded him as she took her longsword out of it’s tan sheathe on her right hip.

“Always”, he replied. Yd pulled out his sword and entered the dark house through the open door. “F**k”. Yd looked at the locking mechanism. It was taken right off the door suggesting that whoever got in used excessive force to do so. Yd’s eyes were fully adjusted to the dark so he could see fairly clearly. Tables, chairs, couches, and flowerpots were in pieces lying in various areas of the wooden floored living room. Marks in the yellow colored wooden walls suggested a long and tiresome fight. Yd saw little streaks of blood on the ceiling and more on the walls suggesting someone had blood on their weapons. A brutal struggle for life and death happened here. Yd walked through the house and checked the other rooms. The white walled bedrooms were in perfect condition suggesting to Yd that the bandits didn’t want money but a person. One of the white doors along the hallway was locked up tightly. Yd waived his right hand high into the air then pushed towards the door. The white obstacle became a projectile as it flung into the small bedroom and crashed into the wall. This bedroom was intact as well but Yd thought he heard someone breathing faintly. “Don’t be shy…...come out and talk to me about what went on here”. Yd said looking around the room for the hidden person.

‘You’re one of them! You’re masked and that bandanna! You don’t fool me’! A man’s voice said.

“Relax…….I know your father….he’s outside waiting to hear back on who survived this mess. Please come out of hiding”.

‘No! My father’s most likely dead’!

Yd sighed and sheathed his sword. He took his red bandanna off and lowered his hood.

“Please…….I’m no bandit…...I’ve two kids of my own and a wife who loves me very much. I’m only trying to find out what happened here”. Yd said softly.

From the wooden floor, underneath a green carpet, a small door swung open. Yd moved the carpet out of the way and looked at the young man. He came out fully now. He looked to be around Yd’s age; though he wasn’t quite as muscular the young man had a broad shouldered stance and appeared to Yd to use a katana as his weapon of choice.

‘I’m not lowering my weapon until I know what your motives are’! The man told looking into Yd’s eyes while gripping the sword in his right hand.

Yd smiled and replied, “I wouldn’t either if I were in your situation. I saw a few things here but I need more information. What happened to your mother and sister for example? Those blood stains I saw in the family room I assume are yours”?

‘I…..I...don’t want to talk about this right now…..please leave me be’! The man said aggressively.

Yd sighed and said, “I understand your fear…..it’s justified seeing what happened here. I need information though Every second I waste here is another second I don’t spend tracking the bandits”.

The young man in black pants and a brown shirt sighed and sat on the bed. Yd sat in a small black chair across from him.

The young man looked at Yd and said, ‘You’re a witcher aren’t you’?

“No. A bounty hunter”.

‘Close enough. It could’ve just as easily been you that caused this. All soldiers are liars and blood thirsty criminals’.

“In some ways we agree with each other but I’m not that. If I was then you’d be long dead”.

There was no window in the room which made things hard to see. Yd couldn’t tell if the man was moving his arms for his weapon or something else. “What happened here…….tell me everything bit by bit please”.

The young man sighed and said, ‘It happened …..so fast….The men broke into the house through the front door. I heard a massive whoosh followed by the front door crashing into the wall of the house. I--

“Pardon my interruption but you said you heard a whoosh sound then the door hitting the interior wall of the house”?

The young man sighed and replied, ‘Yes. Why is that of any importance’?

“Because it tells me I’m dealing with men who know the basics of magic. That whoosh sound was the effect of a spell being casted since it happened before the door hit the wall. Evidence on the door itself seems to point toward magic as well. Please continue if you would”.

‘Well…….I ran out from my room and saw the five men. They were wearing green bandannas and had red and white armor. They wore the exact same colors and even had the same swords. Two grabbed my mom and two my sister. I……..D****t I tried to go after them with my katana but the man who defended them was too good for me. He wounded me in the left side of my chest. Fearing for my life I ran to my room and opened the trapdoor under the carpet. I heard the man step into my room but he didn’t find me. I heard the sound of horses running off into the distance. There were no screams…...no yelling…...just horses. That was about two hours ago’.

There was a long silence. Yd rubbed his forehead and was lost deep in his thoughts he heard Ciri shout, ’Yd get out here’!

He stood up as did the buy but Ydnar told him sternly, “Stay here”.

‘I want to help you. I want to get even with them’.

“I understand but let me do my job while you keep yourself safe. If something were to happen to you--

‘I can handle myself around men’!

Yd replied, “Obviously not well enough to fend off five men who are no greater in skill than the average bandit…….Stay here…….please”.

Yd walked out of the room and through the open doorway. Yd saw Ciri looking at the hill where ten men came over the top. They were exactly as the young boy described them. White with red markings, using all the same weapons, and organized. Yd turned to Gaf who was sitting on a fallen pine tree and said, “Go inside, get your son, and get outta here”.

Gaf stood up and argued, ‘He could help you to kill--

“No…..he’d be more help if I knew he was not a factor for me to worry about. Get him outta here…..please don’t argue with me on this. I’ll meet you in Ankora”.

The old man nodded his head and walked into the house. Yd and Ciri looked at each other and prepared for the fight. Yd conjured up their gear which flew onto their bodies with an orange glow emanating from his hands. “I’m not interested in proving a point…..if we’re getting shaky here then let’s split ok”. Yd said as the men continued walking towards the home.

Ciri replied, ‘Yd….I’m not leaving you’.

“You may have to”.

‘I won’t do so’.

Before Yd put his bandanna on he held Ciri close to him and they kissed in the bright eerie moonlight. He retraced and whispered, “You’re stubborn…..but that’s why I fell in love with you all those years ago”.

She smiled and kissed him again quickly. The two masked defenders drew their weapons and walked towards the men. The snow was quite deep and took a lot of energy to move around in. The small pine forest ended suddenly and revealed a large clearing before turning into another pine forest.  Ciri followed right behind him ready to cover him when the fight went down. The men now saw them and stopped walking. The leader of them came forward and said, ‘It’s ballsy to confront ten men when there’s only two of you’.

“It’s ballsy to come back to the same location twice”. Yd fired back.

“Where are the two women at”?

The man in robes laughed and replied, ‘Somewhere safe. They are wanted for various beliefs that we find…..offensive’.

Yd grew more and more angry with every word he said. ‘Is that what you lot do with people who believe things differently than you’?! Ciri asked sternly.

‘I see you wish to join them then’!

“You won’t get one s**t stained hand on her”! Yd shouted. The battle ensued. Ciri teleported and struck one of the bandits in the back. A second tried to strike from her left side but she dodged out of the way then thrusted through his chest. Yd dodged two men that ran at him. He matched one man’s quick attacks and kept a close eye on the other. Yd faked an attack to force the other man to assist; it worked and as the man came in to attack Yd thrusted through his neck area shutting his body down so he couldn’t stick his sword in while he was bleeding out. The other man upon seeing mis mate fall in battle struck harder than before. He kicked up snow using his legs to do so. The bitterly cold snow stung Yd’s uncovered eyes and made it hard to see. Yd saw the sword at the last second. Unfortunately it was a bit too late. The weapon went partway into his upper chest/ neck area. Yd was able to dampen the blow by kicking the man away from him; thus not allowing him to use his momentum fully. The man took his sword out and continued the beatdown. Yd tried not to give him any ground but it was hard to do in the snow. Yd finally got a counter to connect and he sliced the man’s large bearded head off. He ran through the thick snow to Ciri’s aid. Yd casted a shockwave to create some room for them to work in. Men and snow alike went flying up into the air around them. Only two men avoided the blue wave but they covered their fallen nonetheless. Both Yd and Ciri attacked and as Yd chopped the head off of one Ciri went through the chest of another. By now the rest of the gaggle were up. Yd’s calves were burning as he dug deep into his energy reserves to continue the battle. Yd came under fire from three men while Ciri dealt with the last two. Yd backed up out of the way of a hastily swung sword. The metal weapon whooshed by him; creating an arc that missed him by a few inches. Yd worked the group of three in front of him; tiring them out while using minimal energy himself. One of the three became impatient and tried a jab. Yd dodged and quickly whirled to catch the man in his neck. The other two attacked aggressively forcing Yd to play the waiting game again. Sweat pooled in every nook and cranny of Yd’s tired body. Suddenly out of the treeline in front of them a leshen emerged to defend its homeland. F*****g terrific. Yd thought as he gave the men some space. They didn’t see it coming as they’re backs were turned to the massive woodland beast. The strong creature sent the men flying with a single swipe of it’s branch like wooden arms. It’s bonafide skull of a wolf looked directly at Yd and charged at him. Yd groaned and dodged to the right of the creature. He felt his legs shaking from the long drawn out battle of him versus the snow. The creature leaped a large distance right at him. Yd tried to dodged but the creature tore into Yd’s left side nearly cutting him in half. Blood poured out from the large scar. Yd collapsed into the snow. He was now looking up at the woodland creature as Ciri teleported to it and cut him up. She fought hard and aggressively; taking that which learned while at Kaer Morhen and putting it to good use. With one last slice the creature fell into the snow with a loud thud; sending tremors through the ground as it did so.

The snow fell harder now to where she couldn’t see anything around her. She panicked and sheathed her sword to look for Yd.

“Ciri!……...Ciri!…….I’m ….losing it….”. He shouted.

She followed the sound of the voice and saw him lying in the snow with blood pouring out of his wounds. She knelt down next to him and touched his neck with her gloved hand.  ‘You’re…..ok…….relax Yd…I got you….hold….onto…..me’. She said as she tried to catch her breath. The cold air stung and the wind began to howl; the snow fell at an obscenely fast rate. Yd felt himself slipping from reality. The world appeared fuzzy and distorted. He managed to grab hold of her hand and say, “I……. love you”.

Ciri smiled and replied, ‘It’s forever mutual my prince’. She replied as she teleported both of them out of the area.           

              

                                     

                       

    

                              

 

       

 

                                                             

             

 

 

© 2017 Randall Russell Toll


Author's Note

Randall Russell Toll
I went through and revised grammar and spelling mistakes. I would like to know what you think of the story. I'm most interested in hearing from you how it flows but please do consider all parts of the story. Thanks once again.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 27, 2017
Last Updated on May 27, 2017
Tags: Drama, Action, Adventure, Suspense, Romance, The witcher, Second Chance

Author

Randall Russell Toll
Randall Russell Toll

Vicksburg, MI



About
I'm an amateur writer who does it as a hobby. I enjoy trying new things in my writing and love the feeling of connecting with a group of like minded individuals. more..

Writing