The Witcher: Loose Ends

The Witcher: Loose Ends

A Story by Randall Russell Toll
"

Yd and Ciri are hot on the trail of two hostages while their daughter Anna, goes through trials and hardships as she realizes what her true calling in life is; To stop the end of the world.

"

Chapter 1

 

Anna woke up in a warm red bed. It was morning now and the sunlight crept its way into the wooden walled bedroom. The small ashen haired five year old went from town to town village to village looking for anything she recognized to try to find her parents but to no avail. Eventually she was picked up by a local dwarf in Novigrad. The dwarf she was picked up by happened to be Zoltan Chivay. He recognized the young girls relation to Ciri and picked her up to take her in and feed her. She told him about her adventures and the men that were still after her. Zoltan promised to take care of her as if she was his own daughter for he knew if the men were allowed to get their hands on her what might happen. Most of her time was spent around the city center. She loved to hang out and talk to a young boy she met there though when Zoltan found out he was furious. Over time however, he began to understand how the young woman worked and they reached a certain understanding of sorts. The red headed dwarf knew that though Novigrad was generally considered safe the witch hunts were still taking place and as such he knew that eventually he’d have to get her out of the city and search for their next safe haven. That day was today though Anna was being quite stubborn about waking up on time. She pulled herself out of the warm bed and hit the tan carpeted floor. She slept in her clothes from the day before but with the use of a simple spell she changed her outfit to a white top and blue pants with white boots. She quite enjoyed being able to use magic and thought of herself above others because of her skill. The young girl energetically ran out the room and opened the door. Walking down the stairs she spotted Zoltan at the very bottom waiting for here with crossed arms. He was wearing red leather armor with a large sword strapped to his back.

‘There ya are! I was wondering if ya got lost in the closet or something sweetheart’. He said teasingly.

“No…...I’m just sleepy”. She replied as she looked around at all the people in the tavern she was staying in.

‘Well …….now that you’re up let’s get on the road to our next destination’.

She came up next to him and held his hand as he always told her to. Anna sighed and asked, “When will I see my parents”?

The dwarf led her outside the building onto the crowded red brick streets of Novigrad.

‘I don’t know ashen one. Hopefully soon’.

The pair wiggled and weaved their way through the crowds and streets to where Zoltan’s white mare was stashed. The sun was hot today as it seemed to burn a hole in the dwarfs neck. Zoltan grabbed the young girl and set her on the horse then swung himself on in front of her. ‘Alright…...off we go then’.

 

Yd had been through painful moments many times in his life. The man was a bounty hunter after all. This didn’t help the fact that the pain he felt right now upon waking up for the first time after the run in the Leshen was indescribably and undeniably the worst pain he’d ever felt. Nenneke felt the giant gash and said, ‘you men and your wounds. You think you’re so tough’.

Yd sighed and replied with closed eyes, “That leshen would’ve been dead had there been no snow on the ground”.

The old lady shook her head and poured a green colored liquid on the scar. Nenneke was wearing a red and white robe that covered her from head to toe. The liquid burned and sizzled in the gash. Yd bit down on his gum slightly to ease the pain. He could feel the sun coming through the small rectangular window in the dark green room. ‘Do you’ve any idea of where you are my dear’?

“Well let’s see. The faint smell of mistletoe, mixed with crows eye, with a hint of dragon's breath. I’d say I’m in Ellander…...in the Temple of Melitele”.

‘Indeed you are. Not bad for a bounty hunter. I don’t mean that offensively of course but Geralt couldn’t identify half the herbs in the garden when he was here’.

Yd sighed and replied, “Well witchers aren’t really known for their sense of smell. People like me who had to learn to hunt in order to survive got good at identifying edible plants from non edible ones”.

‘Indeed they do’. Nenneke using a white towel cleaned the wound off now as the liquid settled and stopped fizzing.

“Where’s my Ciri at”? He asked as he slowly opened his eyes. ‘Working with some of the students here. She said she wanted something to take her mind off you and her daughter. Just out of curiosity why didn’t you bring Anna here’?

Yd looked into the grey woman’s brown eyes and replied, “Because It has poor defensive capabilities compared to Aretuza though even that didn’t hold up well against several hundred soldiers”.

‘Indeed it didn’t. Well when you find her again please consider it’.

“I will…..you’ve my word”.

Nenneke grabbed, from a small grey bin of supplies, a red bottle filled with a green colored liquid. She opened the cap and spread the liquid around on her hands. The woman then rubbed the scar making sure to get every inch of the hideous gash. Yd gritted his teeth at the pain he felt. He felt hot though the window was open and he was stripped down to his blue briefs. The bed helped ease the pain he felt in his lower back. The hit from the leshen messed him up internally since the creature had tremendous strength. One of those places was in his lower back though by now the structure had been realigned and healed properly. She stopped rubbing and said to him, ‘Now in theory you should be ok at this point but I suggest, and you’d best listen to me, to stay here a few more days. I need to make sure that it’s fully healed as you were nearly cut in half by the creature. I also would advise you to not wear a shirt or chest armor for a day or so until the pain goes away’.

Yd sighed and replied, “ok…..I can do that”. Yd slowly sat up out of the red covered bed. He rubbed his eyes and looked out the window. The window looked out into a large crystal roofed greenhouse where special herbs were grown. Across from that was a green courtyard with a red brick path that ran around the area where most of the students were. The trees that grew here were trimmed exactly the same way and looked to be the greenest trees he ever saw. Nenneke laughed and said, ‘It’s a bit ironic I feel’.

“Why’s that”? Yd asked as he looked at her to the right of the window. ‘Well last time you came here to heal Cirilla emotionally. Now you’re the one needing physical healing’. Yd let out a short laugh, “Ironic indeed”. He said as he got himself up and stretched a bit. Nenneke left the room and turned to the right. On the floor beside the bed he found his blue pants. Yd sat on the edge of the bed and put them on. Every time he bent down ever so slightly he felt his chest remind him of the wound. He slowly sat up from the bed and walked out the open door to the long bright green colored hallway. Yd turned to the right to head out the wooden door to the outside. The sun hit him right in the face as did the breeze which brought the fresh morning air with it. Yd walked onto the brick path that wound it’s way through the gardens and around the buildings. The bedrooms and healing areas were all inside a singular large building while the gardens and greenhouse were off the right side of the complex. There were people walking around outside tending to the gardens and plants that grow naturally here. They were all dressed the same in green robes with an odd symbol on them. Though Yd knew the symbol stood for the Goddess Melitele he wasn’t quite sure what a yellow pyramid had to do with it. Yd wondered how many days it had been since he talked to Gaf. I need to meet him in Ankora like I promised him I would. I know technically I’m not supposed to leave but technically premarital sex is outlawed though that didn’t stop Ciri and I. Speaking of which. Yd thought as he saw the young ashen haired woman talking to teenagers who tended to the temple and acted as healers for the sick. Yd leaned up against a stone brick wall that blocked the outside world from contaminating the purity found in the temple. F**k my chest hurts like a b***h. Every part of my damn body is sore……..every part. Yd closed his eyes and shook away the pain he was feeling. He opened his eyes back up and looked at the crystal clear blue sky. I wonder where Anna is right now? Daddy’s coming…..I promise once this s**t’s done I’m coming. Yd sighed and watched Ciri walk towards him. Yd smiled and flexed for the young woman. She shook her head with a smile and blushed violently. She walked up to him and stopped. ‘Only for me’? She asked as she ran her hands along his rock hard biceps.

“Only for you my beautiful swallow”. Yd replied as he held her tightly and they kissed. Ciri held onto his shoulders as the kiss went on for a while. After a bit he retracted and asked, “Oh Ciri…...can we go back to the nest and just relax forever yet”?

She giggled and replied, ‘I wish love……...Gods I want to. Yd I’m so tired of this. When we get done hunting this man’s daughter and wife then we’ll head back to the house and sleep in the tub for a while’.

He chuckled and laid his head into her chest. Ciri was wearing healer's robes. They were brown with a white stripe located in the center that down the length of the robe. The brown robe reached to the floor however for women it left everything from the chest up exposed. Ciri kissed his head and asked, ‘How do you feel’?

“Exhausted…..sore…….and my chest hurts like hell. I’m glad there’s no snow here though”.

‘So am I. I like snow but that was a lot of snow we were fighting in’.

“Agreed……….Damn…...sorry Ciri there’s people around I--

She whispered in a voice as sweet as the smell of her perfume, ‘Yd relax……..They don’t know what we have together or how much we mean to each other’.

The wind blew softly through the area as he kissed her soft smooth skin that smelled of flowers. Ciri ran her hands through his hair and kissed his head gently. Yd I love you so much. I want this to be done. I want a boring life now. Where we can just have fun and be carefree. Screw this curse.

He shivered as she ran her hands around his neck and back. “Mmmmmm you’ve got cool hands…...feels good”.

She smiled and rested her head on his. Her ashen gray hair though in a ponytail had a few strands free on the right and left sides which fell next to his cheeks tickling him as they did so. He sighed and said, “I wanna get going on meeting Gaf in Ankora as soon as you’re available to do so. I know it means we go right from here to there but--

‘I know. I’m ok. There’s always time for relaxation. All I ask is that I’m with you’.

Yd kissed her chest and raised his head back up to look into her green eyes. “I love you…….We’ll head out later tonight to get this done so we can spend more time together”.

Ciri nodded and replied, ‘I love you too. You make life so easy for me love’.

“I don’t know about that. There are times where--

‘Oh please. Nobody’s perfect Yd. You’re closer to it than all the men and woman I’ve come across believe it or not’.

Yd chuckled and they kissed again gently.

 

Chapter 2

 

Zoltan and Anna were making good progress towards their destination so far. The destination they were headed for happened to be Roggeven. The city actually looked more like a castle; with it’s majestic white spires and matching belfries atop white monolithic stone brick buildings that shimmered in the sun. Zoltan could just see the city in the distance. In front of it however, approaching them, was a large army of soldiers. They rode over the rolling green hills and through small patches of oak trees. Zoltan cursed under his breath. On the red dwarfs back was a very large sword which he used often and used well. ‘Anna you let me do the talking’. The dwarf said as he slowed his mare slightly.

“But what if--

‘Anna…..no buts’.

“I want to--

‘None! Not a word’! Zoltan fired back sternly.

The ashen haired child sighed and rolled her eyebrows; something that she knew her father hated, which is why she did it now rather than in front of him. The twelve men in red armor rode up to them and motioned for them to halt. The men formed a line in front of the mare and the man in charge asked looking at Zoltan, ‘She’s an elder blood isn’t she’? The man had a very deep voice.

‘No. I’m her uncle trying to take her out to her parents place’, Zoltan lied.

The man didn’t fall for it.

‘Ha! I see through your lies non human. Give us to her now to be wed to the king of Redania or be killed’.

The dwarf sighed and knew he was well outnumbered. He saw some of the men pull out their bows and aim at the pair. His mind raced about their next move. He was about to make his decision when he felt a hand and then saw a bright flash of blue light.

 

Anna appeared in what she thought was a very odd location. She was lying on the ground facedown in the dirt. She got up slowly and looked around with wide eyes. Two hooded figures approached her. She saw she was in a large swamp. Trees larger than those of the pines in Kaedwen surrounded the green humid swamp. Anna didn’t watch where she was going and backed up into a large pond. She quickly got out of the water and started shaking in fear of the hooded strangers. Their robes were as black as the moonless night that was taking shape here. High in the dark night sky there was a bright eerie purple disk rotating in a counterclockwise direction at a tremendous speed; tilting wildly-unstably even, as it did so. The astronomical object seemed to span nearly the entirety of the night sky and reminded her of a single large portal. It seemed to be so close; close enough to reach out and get sucked into it’s vortex but she knew it was far off in the distance. The two hooded figures stopped and looked at her. One said in a man’s voice, ‘Relax Child of light. We mean no harm to you. You’ve encountered the world of Kuine Hanna. That means Plane of Darkness in your tongue. Do you know anything about this world youngling’?

Anna shook her head.

‘Come with us please. You look tired and hungry’.

Anna sighed and walked with the hooded men.

 

Zoltan appeared in Novigrad oddly enough. He was facedown on the wooden floor of the tavern he departed with the ashen haired young girl a few hours ago. “F**k”. He said out loud. Well Yd and Ciri I tried. Zoltan walked up the red stairs and into one of the rooms. “I need a nap…...what the hell just happened back there”? Zoltan opened the door to his room and laid down on the red bed to try to make some sense of what went down.

 

Yd was resting in the green walled bedroom when the door opened revealing Ciri, who walked in and slid up next to him on the bed. Yd was only lying on the bed not immersed in the covers as to not bother his scar that still hurt violently. Ciri rested her head on his upper chest so she wasn’t near the scar and sighed. Yd grabbed her around the waist and brought her up further on him. ‘Yd I don’t wanna hurt you more than you’re already hurt’.

Yd chuckled and replied, “Oh my Ciri I don’t feel pain when you’re around me…. Only happiness and peace”.

She chuckled and replied, ‘Is that true’?

“Indeed it is”.

He noticed it was night now which meant he’d been sleeping for several hours. Yd pulled her right on top of him and held her tightly through the pain that the scar delivered. Ciri was looking up at the ceiling with sad but yet peaceful looking eyes. “Hmmm time to go already. D****t”.

‘Indeed’.

The majestic white full moon’s penetrating light entered the small room through the window and made Ciri’s chest and partly covered legs seem to shimmer and act as a mirror. “Why are you so damn beautiful”? Yd whispered as he made love to her neck.

Ciri blushed and replied, ‘I….don’t think I’m that pretty Yd’.

“Please…….you’re sexy as hell. You’ve the body of a princess Ciri”.

‘Yd you’re far too kind to me’. She whispered softly.

“I know we’re both thinking it. I love you so much. I want a damn good life for you. A life you can live in happiness and peacefulness. I want to give you that and I will do so. Even if I may expire trying…...you will have that life”.

‘Yd don’t say things like that. If we expire we go together. I cannot live without you love……….’. She chuckled and said, ‘This is the wrong time to get romantic though….. Just as we’re leaving’.

Yd smiled and replied, “Hang on a sec Ciri”. He said. Yd raised his hands into the air and suddenly he was in his green and white doublet, green pants, and white shoes while she transformed into her long white silver laced wedding dress. Her cat witcher medallion fell beautifully on her chest and both had their rings on as if they had just gotten married. She applauded and laughed. ‘Yd...you’re goddamn amazing’. She took his hand and teleported them outside the building into the courtyard. The circular stone main area was a perfect place for any gathering or celebration. Four oak trees grew around the grey stone circle; spaced equidistantly from each other around the circumference of the circle. The bright moonlight shined brilliantly upon the scene making it seem unreal if not eerie. She thought it looked beautiful as he took her in his arms and danced with her under the moonlight one last time before they had to leave.

When the deed was done she kissed him. It was a deep kiss; deeper than that of Sedna Abyss yet it took her higher than that of the clouds. It brought goosebumps to both of them and sent tremors and tingles through every part of their bodies. While maintaining contact with her lips he picked her up high into his arms and she wrapped hers around his neck. Eventually they parted. Ciri wiped her eyes from which poured tears of joy as he still held her there. ‘I’m…..speechless…..you make a young woman feel so damn good even in times like these. I got so lucky with you’.

Yd blushed as she kissed his neck again and again. Her cool lips set off supernovas wherever they touched. “I….only wish I could do more. Cirilla the way you make me feel is beyond words. For me it’s an honor to call you my wife; one that makes me feel like a king rather than who I was in the past…….. I love you”.

‘Oh Yd……….Goddamn…….so much’. They kissed again and long while later he set her gently back down and sighed. “Well…...I guess we should get on with this then eh”?

Her eyes flowed with the power of a thousand suns and shined like the brightness of molten metal. Ciri looked at him, smiled, and replied, ‘I suppose we should……..Yd you’re so beautiful to me………….this night…….I’ll never forget this for as long as I live. Hold onto me tightly my prince’.

He smiled and replied as he fulfilled her demand, “With pleasure Ciri”.

She closed her eyes and they were gone in an intense beam of blue light.

 

Upon their arrival into the town of Ankora Yd changed them back into their normal armor. From history tomes he knew that Ankora, which lied to the north of the large rectangular shaped continent, used to be an active army camp for a group called the Tuscans. The town remained unaltered even as civilians moved in. The small town had all of it’s wooden buildings in rows. Row one was made up of houses, row two was shops, then the third row contained more houses. Each building was exactly the same: Single story with a black gabled roof and tan exterior walls made of wood. The only things that changed between them were the insides. Yd took Ciri’s hand and led her through the mess of people on the dirt streets. “Why is there still snow here? Oh yeah it’s the north……..nothing but snow in the northern regions”.

Ciri smiled and replied, ‘That’s fine……..we can warm each other up later tonight’.

She felt him grip her hand more tightly. Ciri chuckled as they came to a building with a white flag depicting a mug drawn on both sides, that waved proudly as it stuck out from the front of the gabled roof. Yd saw her face and thought she was sick as her cheeks were redder than raw meat. Yd stopped outside of the tavern and asked, “Are you alright? You look either sick or really really cold”.

She put her hands on his shoulders and kissed him multiple times on his lips. ‘Oh ….Yd I’ve never been warmer in my entire life. I just want to be with you in a dark room sipping on a good bottle of wine watching the snowfall for hours with nothing to do’.

He blushed wildly and replied,  “Ohhhhhh……..dayum…..Mmmmmm done deal. I’m sure we can get a room here and do that”.

She stroked his chin with her finger. “Damn Ciri……...I didn’t know I could turn you on like that”.

She felt his crotch with her hand as her body was pressed up against his. It felt like a mountain just sprouted up instantly as she rubbed it a bit. ‘I think…..my prince….your long sword needs a place to sheathe itself……..luckily I’ve something that should fit it nicely. Forget about the man for tonight……...let’s get that room’.

He shook his head and blushed. “Yes my princess”.

 

The first bottle didn’t last long, nor did the second, nor the third, but the forth; which they drank half of, seemed to be that point. Ciri stripped herself of all clothes she was wearing as he did the same. A faint amount of moonlight washed into the small one bedroom building. Her body seemed to appear white from the moonlight as she sexually crawled her way onto his chest. She appeared almost like a cat stalking its prey as her back curved and her butt remained in the air. Her plump perky breasts brushed his chest; tickling him on her way up making his sword stick straight up into the air and telescope to it’s maximum length. He found his sheathe and went as fast as he could go and very quickly moans could be heard all through the village; from her and him as she was feeling rather adventurous tonight, as such letting him delve deeply into the abyss with his tongue.

Once the deed was done they laid there in each other's arms and drank the last bottle away. The once white bed was filled with urine, saliva, semen, and sweat. Even the tan walls seemed to be painted white as did Ciri’s hair. She was resting on the right side of his chest as she usually was and Yd had his right arm around her. ‘Yd……...you’re unbelievable. It’s been awhile since…...well…..we’ve done this much damage. Mmmmmm I love it. I needed that badly’.

Yd chuckled as the world around him became fuzzy and seemed to vibrate a bit. “I’m glad I could…..provide you with…...a pleasurable…..experience”.

Ciri chuckled and replied, ‘Mmmmmmm pleasureful indeed. These stains won’t soon come out love’.

Both of them then passed out from being so heavily wasted.

 

Chapter 3

 

Anna woke up and was confused. Her body told her to get up yet at the same time it was still pitch black outside. The men had fed her well and then put her to sleep in the small bedroom. They refused to answer any questions she asked until today. Though, now, lying on the red colored bed in the small white walled room with old wooden floors, she felt different somehow. As if her body changed though she didn’t really know how at first. It hit her as soon as she slipped out from the covers. I feel taller…….stronger…….why? I feel odd……..a tingle ……..I feel an odd tingle in my back and legs. Anna stood herself up and there was no denying it. She couldn’t fit into her clothes anymore; clothes that fit her the day before but now, didn’t even come close. Anna with the use of magic lit the five candles that were in the room on the black royal dresser. She then realized that she was wearing blue and gold armor. The tight leather pants were a sky blue color with a gold metal strip that ran from the bottom to the top of both legs. Her blue boots matched the rest of the outfit as did the blue leather gloves. Her blue leather chest armor had a golden metal strip that ran around her waist. Attached to it was a red colored dagger and sheath. She was surprised that it was in fact real. Then she noticed the sword attached to her right hip. The scabbard was made of golden metal with the locket and chape colored blue and made of sapphire. Anna carefully took the long steel weapon out of the golden scabbard. The metal gleamed in the dim candlelight of the room. The pommel was in the shape of an oval which was a brilliant sapphire blue that seemed to glow and shimmer while the grip was red and easily long enough for her to use two hands on the weapon. The golden metal cross guard was angled outwards at a forty five degree angle and met at a rounded corner on each side. The edge of the sword met at a point and only the central ridge was curved. The weapon felt balanced in her hands and she was anxious to learn how to use it though she was still unsure why she had it in the first place. Anna put the weapon back in its scabbard and brushed a strand of ashen hair away from her eyes. I need to find my parents now. I feel like there’s a reason for me having all this gear on. She nearly jumped up to the white ceiling when the door opened suddenly. The man lowered his hood and Anna saw he was much older than he sounded. “I want answers…….now”. She demanded.

‘Of course ashen one. A promise is a promise’. The man with grey hair and a large scar on his chin replied. ‘Follow me please and we’ll discuss all this in the comfort of the living room’.

Anna nodded her head and followed the man out through a white hallway to a large room with four red chairs and a massive window that sat in front of them. He motioned to the chairs and she sat down. As soon as the man was seated she asked, “First of all……...why do I feel differently than before you found me”?

The man looked at her and answered, ‘We….thought it best to age you a few years so you can better protect yourself from Adrian who’s now looking for you’.

“How many is a few years”? She asked.

‘Eight years…..So I do believe you’re thirteen now. The armor we gave you is high quality gear designed to protect you from most everything out there’.

“Why did you do this”?

The man sighed and replied, ‘Because you’re being hunted. You’re being hunted by one of the most powerful elder bloods the world's ever known. You’re the only one who can put a stop to him. No one else but you’.

She shook her head not wanting to believe the man. “No……...I…...I barely have the knowledge to be able to use basic conjuration spells much less how to kill using a weapon”.

‘That will come in time. In a few years you’ll be ready to face this threat. For now we need to get you back to your parents’.

“So why did you capture me if you’re returning me back home”?

‘So that we could give you proper gear and age you genetically’.

“So that means I’m……..infertile …...then”?

‘No….your fertility remains unchanged’.

“I’ve one more question to ask you. Why is this world dark like this”?

‘It has to do with Adrian’s power. Here…..in this world….he used his power to find an important item allowing him to close the planes between worlds. This may make your head spin but when you learn to control your power more you’ll be able to locate magic artifacts. One such artifact is a very rare stone. The red stone is said to have existed from times very beginning. It’s rumored to have magical powers that only an excessively powerful mage can make use of. This is what Adrian has been doing lately. This is one of the reasons he sent men to Aretuza. It was a two pronged approach with the goal to capture you or a very powerful mage. It looks like he failed on both points though which means he’s hunting for you now’.

She shook her head and replied through wet eyes, “Dad and I…….barely got out of that mess alive. He risked his life for me……….Now I understand. Is there any place safe from Adrian”?

‘No. The man has excessive power. He can feel you sending out strong pulses of energy simply by living and breathing. He uses these pulses in conjunction with a mage whom he befriended. This is the key to defeating this man. If you can locate the mage who’s helping him then you gain a large advantage. Only a mage can detect where these pulses emanate from. Your goal should be to find your parents and then become good with that weapon. Only then can you hope to defeat Adrian. Above all seek knowledge…….knowledge can defeat all evil. As far as where your parents are……….I don’t know. I’m a mage but not an exceptionally powerful one and as such I can’t help you in any sort of way other than to encourage you to act tough and persevere. These are tough times. The fate of the world hangs in the balance of your hands. Use them for good and you’ll be the first of the hen ichaer to be powerful enough to stop worlds from dying. Any other questions’?

Anna sighed and said, “No……..I…..feel lost. I….haven’t the slightest idea on where to start looking”.

‘May I ask what your name is dear lady’?

She looked into the man’s brown leather colored eyes and replied, “Anna”.

‘Anna…..use your power to feel the world around you. All elder blood childs have a strong bond to their parents and as such can feel them when any sort of power is released. Use that as your guide. Train yourself to travel between worlds using your power. Most elder bloods find it useful to try remembering a special moment that happened at a specific place and using that they can travel to said place. Guard your life as well. If in danger travel out of the area you’re in……..you’re the last hope….to save all worlds from utter destruction’.

She nodded her head reluctantly and replied, “I…..appreciate you telling me all about this. Very rarely do I find good people who aren’t interested in using my powers for anything”.

‘Indeed. Trust no one on your journey. Even your closest allies can be your worst enemies. …………..Now……...get out of here and find your parents’.

Anna closed her eyes and asked, “Before I go……..what’s your name”?

‘Hirearch’.

“Thank you…….for everything”.

She felt a magical aura emanating from somewhere far away from the world she was in; Anna focused and traveled to it.  

 

Anna appeared in a house she’s never been to before. The floor was made of polished wood while the walls appeared white in color and looked to be made of stone brick. The family room which she appeared in was full of black leather chairs and a large U shaped green couch. Around her on the walls hung paintings of various battles in the Northern Realms. She walked around looking at them with curiosity. Suddenly from a hallway to her left she heard another woman ask with uncertainty, ‘Ciri? What are you doing here? I thought you were busy trying to live your life with Yd’?

Anna looked at the straw colored hair long legged woman. The woman was dressed in a brown leather chestpiece, brown trousers, and black boots. From her chest armor hung several daggers with their white handles just sticking out of their pockets and on her back, in her brown scabbard, sat a curved steel sword.

Anna sighed and replied, “Well…..that’s my moms name”.

The woman appeared confused and adjusted her sword slightly as if trying to decide whether or not to get it out. ‘Are you…...Anna then’?

She nodded and said, “Yes. How do you know me yet I know nothing about you”?

The woman walked up to her and looked her over. ‘Yeah….you’re definitely your mother's daughter. The body of a princess with the bite of a tiger. My names Mistle. It’s not too surprising that you don’t know me. Oh your mom’s going to be so happy to see you. She was so utterly worried about you when I told her about what happened in Aretuza’.

Anna looked at the woman with a stern face and said, “Please…….don't mention that place ever again. My dad barely got me out of that mess. I…..got to see him for a few minutes while I was scared and confused about what was going on before I once again lost him”.

Mistle sighed and replied, ‘I’m sorry……...I meant nothing by it. I’ll help you track down your parents. It’s the least I can do for you’.

Anna smiled and replied, “I appreciate that greatly. I feel like once again my head’s spinning like a top”.

Mistle chuckled and said, ‘I know the feeling. I assume you know how to ride then’?

“Yes”.

‘Then let’s start looking. The sooner the better as far as I’m concerned’.

                

 

Chapter 4

 

Yd woke up with a large hangover. The sun had only recently risen above the horizon but Yd felt like he wanted to go back to sleep again. Green empty wine bottles were lying on the floor and the whole entire room smelled of sex. Yd didn’t mind the smell since it came from the woman he loved. Ciri’s head felt as though it had been struck by a blunt object. Somehow during the night she must’ve switched her position as she was turned around with Yd’s hands around her though she was fairly certain she had fallen asleep on his chest. She sighed and said, ‘Yd…….about last night…..I….know you said we wouldn’t do anymore of that since we now had kids to take care of. I…..guess after that dance……...I let myself go too far’.

Yd sighed and replied softly, “I’ve never seen you act like that before Ciri. I …….didn’t mind it of course but that was the first time I experienced that side of you……..no pun intended”.

Ciri laughed and blushed. ‘Damn…….can’t we just stay here and hang out in the tub together for the rest of the day’?

He chuckled and replied, “I wish. No…..Unfortunately I think we owe Gaf a visit”.

Yd kissed her head and got up out of the bed to take a short bath.

 

The couple arrived at the tavern around mid morning. As promised Gaf and his son were at the tavern waiting for them. The old man looked surprised to see them as they approached the booth. Gaf was dressed in red robes with matching red pants. His son was wearing grey leather armor with his red colored grip sword sitting in it’s white scabbard on his left hip. Ciri slid in followed by Yd. Gaf sighed and said, ‘I thought you two were dead. Nearly two weeks have gone by now since we last talked’.

Yd nodded and replied, “Well…….s**t happens”.

‘Ohhhhhhh I don’t like the sound of that’. Gaf said as he shook head.

“It was only a leshen but the damn thing nearly cut me in half. Any way I need to get back on their trail. Have either of you two heard any new information on this group”?
Gaf rubbed his bald head and replied, ‘Only thing I’ve heard is a possible camp to the east. About a half a day's ride from here’.

Yd nodded and watched three men walk in. They all eyed the table the four were sitting at. Five other men in blue robes with red longswords walked in and sat far away from the first group yet Yd knew enough information to know the two were related. “Mmmmm I don’t like this”. Yd said.

Gaf replied, ‘If something goes down…..you don’t know me or my son’.

“Agreed. I have no intention of mentioning either of you”.

Ciri grabbed his left arm and put it around her. Yd scooted her closer to him. ‘Who were they’? Ciri asked.

“Some kind of organized group”.

Gaf drank more of his beer and asked, ‘Can I get you anything Yd? Beer perhaps’?

Yd chuckled and replied, “No…... no…….I’m still working off a hangover from last night”.

Gaf laughed while his son shook his head with a smile. The tavern was getting more and more busy which was good as it would mean the men would be less likely to start something in here. Ciri Rested her head on his left shoulder and sighed.

Yd quickly kissed her head and asked, “What’s up”?

‘I’m just tired……………..I wanna get back to our house with our daughter………..go ice skating on the lake……...watch the sunset with you’.

Yd chuckled and said, “I know…..so do I. Soon Ciri…….soon. I promise we’ll get back there again. I figure our best plan is to head to that camp in the east and see what we can find. Logically speaking it should be the easiest one to find but who knows. Life’s full of surprises”.

‘Indeed it is Ydnar’. Gaf said. ‘Well…….I’d best head back to my house. I’ll lock her up tight and be careful from now on. When you find them let me know. I’ll of course reward you handsomely for this too’.

Yd replied, “You don’t have to do that. We’ve got plenty of money honestly”.

‘Please…...I’d feel guilty if I didn’t’.

Yd smiled and replied, “fine…..just this once though…..no more”.

Gaf nodded and stood up from the booth. His son likewise slid out and stood up. “Take care of yourselves now. I’ll be seeing you soon”.

‘Godspeed Ydnar. Good day to both of you’.

Yd watched them leave to make sure they weren’t followed out. Ciri and Yd sat there for a bit. Yd ran his hand through her ashen hair which was smooth and smelled of flowers. Ciri sighed and whispered, ‘Yd I’m sorry for the way I acted in front of them. I’m just so tired of moving all over the place’.

“Oh my swallow I know you are. I feel the same way. Don’t worry……..it’ll be over soon. Let’s get on the road though”.

‘Right behind you’. Yd stood up and Ciri did the same. The couple walked hand in hand out the front door and to Yd’s relief they weren’t followed by a soul.

 

Mistle and Anna had been riding for a few hours now but Anna felt that she wasn’t even in the right world. They had decided to start their search in Kovir which wasn’t terribly far away but Anna felt something wasn’t right. She looked over at Mistle and said, “They’re not in the Northern Realms”.

Mistle looked confused and asked, ‘How do you know’?

Anna replied, “I can feel them. I…….don’t know where they are…….but they’re definitely not here…………...Mistle…...hold my hand please”.

The straw haired woman mumbled, ‘This sounds familiar’.

She grabbed her hand and the pair vanished to wherever Anna felt the magical aura.

 

They appeared without their mares in a snowy wilderness. Around them were the bodies of many men that lay in the middle of a field covered with deep wet snow. Surrounding the field was a forest of pine trees that made a circle around them. The snow was bright as the sun was directly overhead making the white flakes reflect the sun's intense rays. Anna looked at the bodies; their missing heads, their burn marks, their cut off limbs. “Yep…...this is my father's work”.

Mistle walked with her and asked, ‘How do you know’?

Anna sighed and replied looking around the area. “My dad’s a badass”. She felt dirty for cursing but at the same time she didn’t care as long as it was true. “I can remember him doing this to many men that we got into a conflict with. He knows exactly where to hit in order to do this sort of damage”.

Mistle looked out to the treeline and saw something move. ‘Heads up Anna…...there’s something moving in that forest’.

Anna looked to where Mistle was pointing. “Great…….and I don’t know how to use a sword”.

‘Then why do you carry one’? Mistle asked curiously.

Anna laughed and said, “Ahh it’s a long story. When I have the time to tell it to you then I will. I can use magic though…..fairly well”.

Mistle brought herself closer to the ashen haired woman, ‘Do you think…..you can keep me covered while I cut them up’?

“I’ll do my damndest to”.

‘Good enough’.

The pair walked to where the movement was occurring at. It was incredibly windy out and the deep snow blew fiercely into her face; stinging as it did so. The men came into view now as the pair crested the small hill. A shiver went down Anna’s spine. Those are the exact same men. The exact same ones dad and I escaped from. Revenge………...I must get revenge. The men in black steel surrounded a small log cabin house. One of the men in the group looked like he was bashing the door with the pommel of his weapon. “Mistle we’ve got to hurry here”.

The pair started a light jog to the group. Mistle had her sword out and Anna went through her repertoire of spells. They walked through a forest of tall snow covered pines and then came out the other side. She watched the door suddenly bash open and the men flooded the house. S**t. The pair were nearly there. Mistle was first to arrive on scene. She waited until the men came out of the house again. When they did the pair saw they took two hostages. One looked to be an older man in red robes while the other was a teenager or young adult in leather armor with a good looking katana on his left hip. Mistle was the first to speak, ‘what did these men do to you to attract your attention? Did they steal your lunch? Piss on your carpet perhaps’?

One man walked up and replied, ‘Very funny. This doesn’t concern you though. Get outta here before I make you infertile you s**t’.

Both women felt the heat from that word hit them hard. “I’m not putting up with this s**t”! Anna said as she using a spell picked the man up and flung him into the side of the house again and again until blood poured from his head and his brain could be seen. The men looked at each other and then drew their swords. Mistle leaped into the seven man fray and started taking heads. Anna shot out bolts of fire that seared through human flesh at nearly a thousand degrees; burning through their steel armor and what was inside. One of the men came up behind Mistle but Anna picked him up and threw him far into the distance. The very last man was countered and stabbed through the chest by Mistle’s sword. She sheathed her weapon as Anna recovered her strength from the energy she lost using magic. Mistle untied the ropes from them as the old man said, ‘God bless you dearly. Both of you. I…...guess I should’ve listened to Ydnar more carefully’.

Anna’s heart skipped a beat when he said his name. The man met her eyes and she asked, “When did you talk to him”?

‘Ohhhh I would say maybe three hours ago now. Why? Do you seek him’?

Anna nodded and said, “yes…...He’s my father”.

The man chuckled and shook his head. ‘Well you just missed him. He and your mother headed out to the east to try to rescue my wife and daughter’.

Anna shook her head and sighed. Mistle walked up behind her and stood next to her.

“So close……..so bloody close…...Mistle I hate this”.

‘Hey’, She said as she rubbed Anna’s shoulder, ‘they’re not that far from us. We can catch them’.

Anna looked into Mistle’s brown eyes and replied, “How? We’ve no horses, I can’t teleport us, nor can we portal over”.

The young man cleared his throat and replied, ‘take our horses. They’re around the back side of the house in the small stable. They’ll get you there quickly’.

“You’d let us do that”? Anna asked with a small smile.

The old man rubbed his head and replied, ‘Aye. Seems it’s only fitting for you saving us like that. Go ahead. I do hope you find them. Good luck’.

“Thank you”.

They walked back into the house and Mistle sighed and looked into her green eyes. ‘Keep your head up. You’re the daughter of a damn good bounty hunter and elder blood. You should be able to find anything. It’s in your blood’.

Anna let out a small chuckle and said, “I wish that were the case”.

Chapter 5

 

Ciri and Yd made it to the camp. It was evening now as they dismounted their mares and laid down on their belly’s in the snow. They deeply hidden in the pine trees under a low hanging branch. Around fifty feet away was the camp. Yd wanted to observe what went on while he could do so without being detected. Yd saw at least ten men outside the small fenced in camp. The fence was only made of wood and wasn’t terribly high which led Yd to believe that Gaf’s wife and daughter weren’t being held here. There were only six dark black tents in the shape of a cabin inside the fence with one large triangular shaped one being the main tent for meetings. Around the camp there were forges and anvils at which some of the men were sharpening their blades. Yd took note of the size and shape of the surrounding area; what it looked like, where the fence was, where features like anvils and forges were, where the tents were, things that were of worthy cause to avoid or use to his advantage. Yd saw two wooden doors far to the back of the camp and he wondered what exactly they were. It looked to him that they led straight into the ground. A mine. This was an old mining settlement. Why did they chose this area to settle in? It’s not just a coincidence. There’s no such thing in my line of work.

“Ciri…….back me up as we go through this”. Yd whispered over the sound of the fierce breeze.

‘Always love’. She replied.

Yd reminded himself where his swords were and went over one more time what the layout of the camp looked like. Yd nodded and stood up. Ciri walked beside him keeping her eyes on all the men. One of the men looking over at the treeline they came out of fired an arrow at Yd. Yd had ample time to deflect it with his forearm which had a long metal strip running down the length of it. The arrow ricocheted off the strip making a metal on metal sound as it did so. “That’s not very nice of you. You should at least allow me the opportunity to speak”. Yd mocked.

All the men looked towards the pair. One man, the leader most likely, said, ‘You’re not wanted here. That was a warning shot and one you--

“Warning shot my a*s. If I neglected to deflect that steel tipped arrow then it would’ve chewed a hole in my shoulder. I’m looking for two women whom your kind stole from an old man. Have any of you clouts seen them”?

The man laughed and replied, ‘Why the f**k would we tell you anything’?

“Well…….I tried”. Yd with a large shockwave spell thrusted into the wooden fence, sending it careening into the camp and creating an entry hole for them to use. Weapons emerged from scabbards and it all went down from there. Ciri teleported into the fray; her sword acting like a windmill as it shimmered in the sun, cutting into flesh and dismembering the men one by one. Yd ran up to the first victim and blocked the man’s initial slice. Yd let the man swing then quickly thrusted through his neck killing him instantly. Three more challenged him. Yd kept all three men in his sights and worked the group. He was patient and waited for his turn to attack. When it came he countered one man and quickly sliced through his arm letting him bleed out; then he forced another off balance, and followed it up with a quick jab into the man’s heart region. Yd pulled out the gut dripping sword and blocked the third man’s quick but sloppy strikes. Ciri relied on her agility rather than raw strength to kill her opponents. She danced around the heavily armored men and spun herself like a top to slash one in the neck, then jab another in the shoulder region. She almost didn’t see the man to her right who tried a quick vertical strike. Ciri backed off a bit and worked with the group of four. In the background a bit she could hear Yd grunting as he put everything into his attacks. Ciri leaped then transitioned into a quick slice. She caught one man unaware of her presence in the neck, nearly taking his head off though it held on by a thread. Ciri teleported behind another and got him through his back. As the men behind her came up to her she using her long legs kicked him forcefully away from her then jabbed through his jugular. The two men that were left were dealt with by Yd who to her surprise leg swept one, kicked the other, then with a single diagonal slice he got both of them in one swing. She returned her weapon to it’s black scabbard and said looking at him, ‘Bravo Yd. Well done indeed’.

Yd sheathed his weapon and shook his head. “Ciri…...please don’t applaud me for killing men. I…..know I’m good at killing people….. it was my job for two years but I don’t consider it a sport nor do I do it to impress people”.

Ciri shook her head and replied, ‘Sorry……..just trying to make light of the situation’.

Yd walked up to the wooden doors of the mine. He tried to open them the conventional way. He sighed and muttered, “Of course the f****n thing’s locked”.

Yd thrusted his boot against it and the door broke off the hinges. Yd forced the door to give by pushing against it. He walked inside the dark mine and got both swords out. Yd put the handles together and twisted to lock the pair. “F**k……...I hate mines……...D****t all to hell. Who knows what lies in ambush down there”. He said as his voice echoed. He looked at the wooden ladder that went down into a bottomless pit of darkness. “Wait for me to hit bottom then come down after I say all clear”.

‘Have it your way Yd’.

He sighed and said, “Ciri…….I know you don’t want to do this…...I don’t either…….really I don’t……...we need to though. I will not rest until his wife and daughter are either safe or confirmed dead. You’re more than free to go back to the house if you want to……..I understand if you do”.

Ciri lightened up and replied, ‘that was stupid of me to say……...Sorry…..I just feel angry…...elder blood’s strong today…..’. She sighed and rubbed her eyes. Yd set his weapon partway into it’s gold scabbard and held her. Ciri buried her head in his shoulder and put her hands around his back. She closed her eyes for a bit and just let the feeling of being sheltered in his arms take over. Yd kissed her head over and over while he rubbed her back. He rocked her slowly and said, “I worry about you when you’re like this……...seriously if you need to go back to--

‘No…….no….I’ll never leave you. I promise I’ll never leave you. I…..suppose we can’t effectively fight like this though’.

Yd chuckled and kissed her head again. “I’ll take you back to that beach…...we can watch the blue-green glassy water wash in and out the whole day…….watch the sunset with a bottle of wine…...not worry about a damn thing as we collapse into the white fine grain sands in each others arms under the bright light of a full moon”.

She moaned and shivered. ‘Mmmmmm. Damn…….Ok…….I’m slightly better now’.

Yd chuckled and replied, “Are you sure”?

Ciri smiled and kissed his neck. ‘I am. Better days are on the horizon’.

“Exactly. I promise they are”.

She parted his arms and sighed. Yd walked over to the ladder and started his way down the rectangular shaped hole. It felt like he was stepping down into an abyss that kept on going but eventually he hit bottom. It was completely dark and Yd didn’t know where he was. He conjured a soft blue ball of light and then looked around. “God’s above…...I’m gonna vomit”. He said as he looked at the numerous fresh bodies of children, women , and men. The naked bodies were stacked up against the sides of the cave and each one had a large gash across their chest. The part of the cave he was in wasn’t terribly large but the body's wound around the entirety of the room. He remembered Ciri was waiting for him and returned to the ladder.

“It’s clear…….watch your step coming down. Some of the rungs are damn loose”.

‘Will do’. She replied; her voice echoing down the long rectangular shaft.

It took her a while but once she was on the rocky hard ground she looked around the room and shook her head. He looked at her and said, “Animals Ciri……..these men are animals. Luckily I don’t see Gaf’s wife or daughter. That fact gives me some hope that they’re still alive”.

‘I’ve…….never seen this many bodies……….even kids…...they look so young too……..God’s…..how ……’.

“Come on let’s keep moving. No use in staring at the dead”.

‘Agreed’.

She followed him and grabbed hold of his hand. The mine wound around from right to left and seemed to go on for eternity but eventually Yd found what he wanted. “This is it…...hopefully something in here explains the comings and goings of prisoners”.

Yd let go of her hand. They opened the door  to the room and walked in. Yd waved his right hand and all the candles on the ebony wood desk lit up revealing the circular small room. The small blue light dissipated with a small flare at the end of its life. There was only a desk and two leather couches in the room but Yd knew that’s common for most bandits and rebels who stole what they didn’t have. Ciri walked around the room looking at the old paintings that hung on the wooden walls. Yd opened the desk drawer and found stacks of yellow papers. He took them to one of the leather couches and started reading through to try to find anything to tell him his next destination. He came across a small folded up letter from a man called Locarf. Yd set the stack aside and unfolded the entirety of the yellow paper. Ciri sat next to him on the couch and rested her head against his left shoulder. Yd smiled and wrapped his left arm around her bringing her closer to him as he did so. The letter read,

Dear Locarf,

Word has gotten out of the prisoners disappearance from society. My informant tells me there are two people looking for the women in question. I understand the two women have the knowledge you seek about the item. With this in mind I suggest to you that we move them to a more defensible location. Such as the Gull Straits. This area would be perfect for you to carry out your tests and find whatever information you may need. I will send the prisoners to you as soon as tomorrow evening. I wish for you a good day.

-P.S. I sent that sword you wanted so desperately. Next time remind me sooner though.

-Fredner

Yd looked at the timestamp and said, “Letter’s not that old. Little over a day ago. Well….Gull Straits is located farther to the east. Quite an odd place to keep prisoners but that’s where we’ll go”. Yd folded up the yellow note and stuffed it in his pocket.

Ciri laid herself down on the couch with her head in his lap. Yd chuckled and ran his hand through her hair. Tomorrow……...I’ll take us over to the city of Dubins. It’s just a few hours north of the path to our destination. I’ve got friends who moved there since he’s a mage and can teleport. He’s got a family too. In fact I quite like his son…...he reminds me of mine but……….was raised properly. Yd closed his thoughts out and took her sword off her back. Yd took the swords out from his scabbards as well and pulled her body further up on him to where he could get his arms around her. His protective barrier washed over her body and like a rainstorm erodes the landscape he eroded her worry and anxiousness. Ciri put her hands on top of his and whispered as soft as an angel, ‘I remember the first time I killed a man. I felt disgusted; as if I commited a crime even though I did it in self defence. I can’t believe how strong I was back then to go through all of that being thirteen years old. Now……...I feel as if all of that’s catching up with me. As if suddenly I’ve allowed myself to feel sorry for my past mistakes’.

Yd sighed and kissed her neck taking the pain away. “I know how that feels. It’s partly my fault. I should be doing more with you to take all that away rather than doing stupid things like this. I’m pulled in so many directions; no matter which one I choose I end up irritating somebody”.

‘Oh love I’m not irritated. I guess I’m just complaining……... As if that’ll change anything’.

He rested his head next to hers and felt her hair tickle his cheek. “Life seems so easy when you’re a kid. Like nothing bad could ever happen to you. You do stupid things like get into fights for example and never think twice about it. Then something happens in your life to change the way you look at the world. I think most people who go through stressful periods in their lives change in some way. We both thought differently when we became married and had kids. It was less about being the tough guy and more about being a father and mother. It’s understandable that you’d feel like you’re getting softer. Like you said earlier though…...better days are on the horizon Ciri. You’re not alone on this either……..I’ll always be there with you”.

She smiled and replied, ‘I love you so much. It feels good to not be alone anymore’.

Yd chuckled and replied, “I bet it does”. Yd using a spell extinguished the candles making the room fall into darkness. He conjured up a warm red blanket and threw it over her and him. Ciri kissed his cheek and whispered, ‘Goodnight Yd…..I love you forever’.

“Goodnight Ciri. You’re the light of my life; may you never burn out”.

She smiled and closed her eyes. For a few minutes he thought about staying a day with his friend in the city. He knew it was a bad idea though as it would attract too much attention and he knew they had to keep moving or risk being killed. He shut his mind off and closed his eyes to fall asleep.

 

Chapter 6

 

Anna and Mistle had been on the trail for several hours now. It was now dark outside as they flew across snowy hills and around small forests of pine trees. Anna was thinking about her father. She wondered if he’d notice. Of course he’ll notice. He carried you out of Aretuza when you were but five years old. He could still carry me now but…….he’ll notice. What do I tell him? It’s gonna break his heart to know eight years passed without him being there to see me grow. I’m nothing but a tool; that’s all I am and that’s all I’ll ever be. Something tore her out of her last thought. Inside of her she felt a shockwave. Her head started to hurt. She put her hands on it to try to massage the muscle and make it go away but it lingered. Mistle noticed her and asked, ‘Are…..you alright’?

“No……...No…...something’s up……..something that I can feel but can’t describe”. In her head she heard a voice. It was the voice of a man. Anna……..they say you’re the strongest Hen Ichaer out there. They claim you’re the one to stop me from destroying worlds and uniting the planes, from finally ending the wars between the elves and the humans……..They say many things……... We shall see. You best believe I’ll be seeing you. From now on look behind you because you never know when I’m going to pop up.

The voice stopped but suddenly she felt ill. The last thing she remembered was slipping off the side of her mare, then hearing Mistle’s voice before a dark lonely curtain fall over her green eyes.

 

Ciri and Yd woke up to a bone chilling morning in the north. Yd conjured another thicker cover that fell like a feather on top of them. Ciri smiled and whispered, ‘Now we’ll never get up’.

Yd chuckled softly. “Nothing’s wrong with that”.

‘Except we’ve people to find’.

“What people”? Yd asked while he made love to her neck. Ciri blushed as his lips worked their way across her skin. ‘Mmmmmmm. Save some for the bathtub love’.

He chuckled and said, “Before we get to Gull Straits I want to make a quick stop to see one of my life long friends. I figured we’d go out to lunch with him and talk for a bit”.

‘Mmmmmm is this another one of your black one buddies’?

“No. He’s one of the guys I grew up with in Skellige. As far as I know he’s got two kids and a wife whom I’ve already met once. They’re nice people Ciri. They live in the city of Dubins……….It’s by a large beach”.

Ciri giggled loudly. ‘Say no more…….I’m now fully awake’.

Yd chuckled and then replied, “I thought that’d make your day”.

‘You thought right then’. She answered. Ciri got up from the couch and pulled the covers off of him. ‘Yd……...come on…….sleep time’s over……….’.

“Hmmmmm”? He asked pretending not to hear her.  

‘Yd please……..this isn’t funny’. She said while chuckling.

“What isn’t”?

Ciri sighed and dragged him by his legs off the couch. He hit the ground with a thud.

“Are you going to do this the whole way there”? He asked as he opened his eyes.

‘Yd will you get up’?

“Mmmmmm lacking motivation”.

Ciri shook her head and laid her body down on top of him. They kissed deeply and she snuck her hand partway into his pants. “Mmmmmmmm. That’s one way to motivate me I suppose”.

She chuckled and whispered seductively, ‘we can do more on the beach’.

“That depends……..sometimes it’s pretty busy”.

Ciri ran her tongue along his neck making his telescope extend slightly. ‘That won’t matter……….in fact I want you to do it in public’.

“Ciri please……..too much”.

‘Mmmmmm not enough’.

He sighed and waved his right hand causing the candles to light the room back up. Yd stood up along with Ciri who was acting unusually clingy. She was looking at him with a sideways look and a small skewed smile as she was holding onto his right arm. “Are you super horny right now”?

‘Mmmmmmmmm. You best get me to that beach quick Yd’.

“I love you like this. Grab your sword and let’s go then…………...no not my sword yours. Very funny”.

The couple grabbed their weapons and headed out the way they came in to head over to the city of Dubins.

Anna woke up just as the sun came over the horizon. Her head hurt but the pain was throbbing not constant. She opened her eyes and saw Mistle; who was lying with her head on her shoulder and her hand against her stomach. Anna thought about it but realized she enjoyed the company and didn’t want to be alone any longer. The pair was tucked into a small forest of pines deep in a mountain range. It was an exceptionally cold morning though there wasn’t any snow to be seen except on the trees above their heads. Anna sighed and rubbed her tired eyes. Mistle twitched and removed her head and hand off of Anna’s body.

‘Sorry……...I really didn’t mean to--

Anna looked at her and replied, “Honestly I didn’t mind; your warmth felt good”.

Mistle smiled and hid her slightly red cheeks by looking away. “How far are we from that camp”?

The straw haired woman looked back at her and replied, ‘Not terribly far. Are you feeling ok though? That fall was a rather long drop’.

Anna sighed and replied, “I’m ok. I…..want to get there quickly though”.

‘Alright. Let’s go then’.

 

Mid morning came as Ciri and Yd entered the illustrious city of Dubins. The city’s actually an island though only artificially. Yd loved the large but quaint atmosphere which reminded him of Skellige; though Skellige’s much more populated. Just outside the city a single large tree green suspension bridge ran from the mainland out to the island; passing only a few hundred feet over the top of the small naturally bright blue lake of which the island was built upon. The sun was shining brightly upon the city making it glow a golden yellow; almost like the city was a large sunflower basking in the sun. The actual island’s rectangular in shape with the houses at the rear of the rectangle and the shops all the way at the front. The pair rode across the bridge to a small green metal tower with white steel armored guards patrolling around it. Just past the tower was a large green gate that protected the city from any illegal immigrants. One of the men raised up his right hand and said, ‘Halt…...What business do you have in the city of Dubins’?

Yd took his red bandanna off and replied, “Well we’re hoping to see some friends”.

The man nodded and said, ‘Fair enough…..Open the gate up Kurt’.

The gate slid open to let the pair through. As they made it into the city Ciri looked around at all the people with their kids. Some were carrying items they’d bought at one of the main shops or merchants. It reminded her of Oxenfurt; Small but incredibly busy with lots to see and do. Yd led them to a small stable and they dismounted. He looked at her and saw her eyes were flowing with energy. ‘Oh Yd……….I know you don’t care for large cities like this but…...I love this area already’.

He chuckled as she took her bandanna off and lowered her hood to reveal her ashen hair.

“Good…….I was hoping you’d say that”.

They took their gloves off and walked through the busy red cobblestone brick streets hand in hand. All the shops were located in old red brick buildings on the first and second streets which ran perpendicularly to the bridge at the entrance. Around the perimeter of the city was a street that wrapped itself around so if one wanted to simply see the lakeshore but avoid the shops one could do so. Ciri smiled and felt the energy from the music being played, the people who danced in the streets, and the food being cooked; she loved cities like this. Yes she was a Skellige woman but she loved the energy that came from this atmosphere. They passed large red shop after large red shop and came to a street that ran parallel to the bridge but perpendicularly with the main city streets and took it to cut away from the shops so they could get to the housing area.

Eventually they came to the house that Yd remembered last seeing the man at. The houses had some space between each other and as such had backyards for children to play in. The home that the mage lived in was old and antique looking; It’s yellow paint was missing in some spots. The home wasn’t very big but it had two stories with multiple bedrooms. It’s old rectangular windows looked out to the street and were located near the dark spruce wood front door. Yd and Ciri walked up to the door and he knocked a few times. Through the windows he could see candles flickering which was a good sign that someone occupied the house. Yd struck a large smile upon seeing the door open and a small skinny man about Yd’s height with short brown hair answered the door.

“How’s it going Lorenzo”?

The young man smiled and shook his head. ‘Dear God’s is that Ydnar’?

He chuckled and replied, “What don’t tell me your vision’s starting to slip”.

‘Yep…..indeed it is Yd…..only you’d make that sort of joke. Well…..don’t just stand there and look at me…...come in please. Dad’ll love to see you again’.

The pair walked in and Yd remarked, “There’s been some work done to her. I can tell that much”. The interior of the home was a split level style but yet at the same time it was modernized with leather furniture and dark ebony wood utilities. The interior was painted in a light yellow color that matched the outside paint perfectly.

‘Yeah…….dad and I’ve been busy. You know how it goes……...dad asks you to do something but really it’s one of those, do it or find somewhere else to live sort of things’.

Yd and Ciri laughed as they took their boots off to not muck up the polished dark wood floors.

“Speaking of which where’s your father”?

Lorenzio looked back at Yd and replied, ‘On the deck with our daughter. I think mom’s out there as well’.

Yd grabbed Ciri’s hand and they walked to the sliding wooden door. Yd slid it open and saw a man who looked more like a preacher than a mage. He had hard features; almost as if he saw the world begin hundreds of years ago, near his left eye was a circular scar that Yd knew he got from his father who beat him bloody with the pommel of his sword on occasion. Yd smiled and said, “So…….how’s life Jericho”?

The man seemed to jump up from the wooden chair he was sitting in and turn around. ‘Is…..it really you…..after ten years apart you return to me……’. He looked at Ciri now and continued, ‘With a woman as well I see’.

Yd chuckled and said, “Well…..we were in the area so I figured we’d stop by for a while”.

Yd let go of Ciri’s hand and hugged the old mage. “Sorry…….it’s been so damn long man. Life gets busy….one thing turns into another and well…...you know how it all goes”.

‘I do indeed’. The two men parted.

Jericho looked at Ciri and said, ‘Names Jericho………...Pleasure to meet you--

‘Ciri’.

Jericho hugged her and then they sat down in the padded chairs to talk for a while. Yd sat down and sighed. Ciri held his hand and asked, ‘Nap time’?

“Mmmmmm it is”. He replied.

‘You can stay here as long as you like. We’ve got the room’.

Yd chuckled and replied, “I appreciate it. Really I do…...but……..well the reason we’re in the area is I’m currently on a job trying to locate some hostages”.

‘Why? I’m confused…...ten years is a long time’.

“Indeed it is. Well…….I joined the black ones when I was seventeen. I got in as a bounty hunter under Emhyr. I did the job for two years then wanted out for my own reasons. A damn good friend of mine asked me if I could do him a small favor. His wife and daughter went missing and he wanted me to track them down. I…...couldn’t say no to the man. So the past few days have been spent going from place to place looking for answers”.

A cool breeze swept through as the man shook his head and said, ‘Dear God’s…….what a life you’ve lived’.

Yd chuckled and said, “that’s only part of it. I could sit here all day and tell you about it but it’s a long story……..and I’m friggen exhausted”.

‘You look like it. Seriously why don’t you get some sleep. It’s only the morning still’. The old man suggested.

‘Yd…...he’s offering’. Ciri reinstated.

Yd looked at Ciri and said, “Alright……...you talked me into it”.

Jericho laughed and said, ‘It didn’t take much I see. I’ll show you to the room’.

The pair followed the man back inside the house and to the right where a long hallway filled with doors sat. The man opened the one at the very end and said, ‘Have at it. We can talk about the rest later this evening’.

“I appreciate it”.

‘No big deal’.

The pair walked in and Ciri shut the ebony wood door as Yd shut the red drapes then stripped down to his briefs. Ciri undressed to her underwear and both slipped under the light blue covers. “Mmmmmmmm I wish we could do more of this. I can’t wait to get back home again”.

Ciri snuggled up to his chest and lodged her head in his neck with her hand on his pecs. ‘I agree’.

Yd held her tightly in his right arm and whispered as his eyes closed, “I’m sorry we can’t be more like them”.

She kissed his neck and said, ‘I knew what I got into here. I knew it would mean long days and long nights by myself but I was prepared for it. Of course I think back to all the time we spent away from each other……..it bugs me of course but I love the life you’ve given me and the kids. I love it to death. You work your a*s off to give everyone so much without asking for anything in return. You’re a beautiful human being’.

“I wouldn’t say that”.

‘But it’s true’.

“I’ve made many mistakes Ciri”.

‘Who hasn’t’?

He sighed and said, “Seeing their young daughter running around outside made me think of Anna. How much I miss her……….the pain hurts……...it brings me to tears knowing how close we were to making it out of that mess in Aretuza. I’m trying to be a good father to her but……..it’s hard --

‘How many fathers have to protect their daughters from men like that? That’s why I love you so damn much. Your determination to make sure myself and the kids have a good life. No one has ever done such a thing for me until now. That’s why I’ll never leave you’.

She tangled her legs with his and he felt her smooth skin rub against him. “Even if I end up losing another limb at some point”?

Ciri kissed his neck again and replied, ‘Yes…….no matter what’.

“I love you”.

‘I love you forever’.

They fell asleep fast in the dark room.

 

Chapter 7

 

Anna and Mistle made it to the camp that the man told her about. They dismounted their horses and looked around at all the bodies and blood. For the past few hours Anna had felt odd. As if all her muscles at once decided to become sore. The woman shrugged it off and focused on the task. Mistle and Anna searched around looking for any information they could find that may lead them to their next location. Anna walked up to the two doors that led to the mine. “Broken right off it’s hinges. Not done by magic but by force it seems”.

Mistle walked up to her and noticed she shivered. ‘Is it cold like this all the time’?

Anna looked at her and replied, “Not all the time no. I can remember many days that were quite warm where I’d play in the lake outside the house………….seems like so long ago”.

Anna walked through the doors and saw the only way was down. “Well……..I guess we go explore a large dark mine then”.

‘Indeed…..after you’.

Anna stepped onto the ladder and worked her way down followed closely by Mistle. Eventually the two women got to the bottom. Anna muttered something and suddenly a small red ball of light appeared above her head. “What…...the hell”? She said as she looked around at all the bodies of young children, men, and women.

Mistle thought back to when she was younger and the feeling she got when she was raped for the first time then tossed into a ditch with other corpses. ‘Is…….this your father’s work’?

“No…….he would never do anything of the like……...Well…….I guess onward”.

The pair walked further through the tunnels and caves; eventually coming to a room with a wooden door that was already open and had candles burning away. Anna saw a pile of yellow papers sitting on a couch. Looking at a large ebony wood desk she saw the drawer was fully open suggesting that someone was here already and looking for something. “Well……..where to now? There’s nothing to go on. My dad’s obviously been here…...that’s why things are all over the place and the papers are sitting on the couch. It seems we’ve hit a dead end”. Anna shook her head and sat down on the couch. She put her head in her hands and wondered if she’d ever find her parents again. Mistle didn’t know what to say or do. She saw the woman’s determination and helplessness but didn’t know how to make it go away. ‘It’s too early to give up hope entirely’. She said as she sat down next to her.

“I’m not giving up entirely……….I….just don’t know where to go next. Mistle……….I feel like absolute garbage right now. My head hurts, I’m tired, and frustrated. Damn mages…...why’d you have to genetically age me like that”?

Mistle looked confused. ‘You mean…...you’re not…--

“No...I’m not actually thirteen years old. Technically…..I’d be five nearly six years old. I…..after I got out of the bad situation I was in near Aretuza then got flung out of the carriage, I eventually found a dwarf by the name of Zoltan to take care of me for a bit. That all ended when we were surrounded. I tried to help out by teleporting us to a safer location but I ended up in an odd swamp while the dwarf was nowhere to be seen. The mages who took me in fed me and bathed me. They also aged me slightly to make me ready for Adrian who they said only I can kill. But I need to be trained on how to use a sword which means I need my dad to teach me”. She sighed and rubbed her forehead to try to make the pain go away.

Mistle put her arm around the woman and rubbed her back. ‘Well…….you’re free to stay with me for a while. I can teach you the basics about swordsmanship. Enough to at least let you feel able to kill bandits and the like’.

Anna looked at the woman and smiled. “Mistle…...I appreciate the offer but I’m being hunted by so many men. I’d die if something were to happen to you. You’re a good friend to me…...I….don’t want to lose you because of this curse I have”.

‘You won’t……..I...wouldn’t let that happen. Please……..come with me to the house. We’ll stay there for a few months and lie low’.

There was a brief pause then she said, “Ok…...let’s do that then”.

The two women stood up and slowly walked back out of the mine the way they came in.

 

Yd woke up in a panic. Sweat dripped down his body and his mind raced while his pupils were fully dilated. ‘Shhhhhhh…...relax Yd…..It was only a dream…’. Ciri whispered softly as her lips caressed his neck and chest. It was the fifth dream in a row he had about himself dying at the hands of Russ and Adrian. “No……...no...Ciri….it was more than a goddamn dream…….I….have an odd feeling it’ll come true in time”.

Ciri sighed and asked softly, ‘What was it’?             

“I…….was killed by Adrian and Russ”.

‘Yd it was a dream…...that will not happen’. She said sternly as she opened her eyes to look at him. She saw tears roll their way down his clean shaven face. Ciri ran her hand along his chest and buried her head in the crook of his neck. “I’m worried…...about the future…...lines are blurred between good and evil, right and wrong…...one day he’s your best friend the next your worst enemy. God’s…..I hate spending all this time sitting around thumbing myself while I’ve a job to do”.

Ciri sighed and replied, ‘Yd don’t say things like that’.

“Why not? That’s exactly what I’m doing……...someone hired me to do a job and here I am sitting on my a*s letting those two women get further away from us”.

‘Yd it’s called life. I’m your wife remember? Yes I get it we’ve a job to do but……..no one can just focus on work….especially that kind’.

“I did back in the army Ciri…….why can’t I do that now? There’s no excuse for that s**t. None. No….I need to get up and get ready to leave. When the job’s done then ….well…...then we’ll have time to talk and relax”.

There was a long pause before he escaped from her arms and started getting back into his armor. Yd lit the few candles in the room and started getting dressed. Ciri sighed and got out of the covers. She came up behind him and put her arms and legs around him before he put any of the armor on. She sighed and rested her head on his right shoulder. Her hands worked their way up his chest passing through all the scars and gashes he had. She chuckled and said, ‘Your bodies got a few more scars than it had when we made love on the lake at Kaer Morhen’.

Yd laughed and replied, “Five years ago…...yeah I suppose it does………...everything was much easier back then…..though we were still being chased…….d****t…...I promised my wife though back then you were my girlfriend that I’d give you a free life to live the way you wanted to live and here I am five years later still making the same damn promise……...Yeah…….I did good didn’t I? Good job Yd……..that was stupid a*s promise to make”.

‘It wasn’t……...I wish you could see yourself differently. See how hard you work to give me that life. You’d feel so proud of yourself then’.

“I doubt it”.

Ciri could feel his muscles starting to tense up and she rubbed his biceps and kissed his neck to stop him from doing something rash. Yd stared at the white wall in front of the bed and tried to calm himself.

‘Yd…….I know what you’re thinking……….we’ll find her. Together we can find anything. We’ll find her and spend a few years living together’.

“No we won’t…..life never ever ever works out that way Ciri. Not then and not now. I’ve….no doubt we’ll find her but…….I’ve resigned myself to believing there’s no way we’ll ever be safe. We’ve both pissed off too many people for us to continually live in one place forever. Well…….let’s get dressed and finish this job up”.

Ciri still held him tightly around his pecs. ‘Yd……….I love you. It tears me apart when you blame yourself for what you did in the past. We all make mistakes…...we have to forgive ourselves for them though. We can’t live our life in regret constantly. That’s not healthy to do’.

Yd sighed and let the words hit him. “True…...you’re right……..hmmmmm….I still think we should leave here this evening but let’s spend time in the town…….and yes that means the beach as well”.

Ciri smiled and kissed his neck. ‘Mmmmmmm that I can do’.

 

The beach was large but even so it felt smaller than it was due to the large amount of people present. Usually that would annoy him but today, with Ciri’s hand to hold, with only a blue pair of shorts to wear, and with her looking like a princess wearing only a two piece bikini, it didn’t annoy him in the slightest. The hot yellow sun baked his body as they walked along the soft fine sand looking out at the choppy bright blue water. In the shallows Yd saw a small white shell moving around. He led Ciri to it and picked it up out of the warm bathtub like water. ‘What …..is that…...no don’t put it on me’! She said.

“Oh come on now…...it won’t hurt….unless you piss it off of course”.

He tried to stick it in her bra but she kept away from him. ‘Yd…...really this is what you’re gonna do’? She said with a cocky smile.

He laughed and replied as he walked towards her, “Just think of it as a blueberry and let me set it in there”.

She shook her head and laughed upon remembering the reference. ‘I will do no such thing…...I like seafood but not when it’s alive’.

“Oh come on Ciri. I used to cook these things and eat em all the time. My friends and I would spend the whole day doing that sort of thing”.

‘Yd...some of your friends are ..well…..interesting’.

He chuckled and tossed the creature back out into the water. “Indeed they are”. He took her hand again and she looked to make sure it was gone.

“Do you not trust me”?

She smiled and replied, ‘No believe it or not I don’t’.

“Why not”?

‘Don’t play that game with me love you know why’.

“You do the same to me”.

‘No’. She lied through her teeth.

“Yes”.

‘When’?

“For instance when you conjured those red balls and threw them at me when I was working out”.

Ciri laughed hysterically at the memory. ‘See though…...that was funny and didn’t have the potential to cause pain’.

“That creature didn’t have the potential”.

She shook his shoulder as they were walking and replied while laughing, ‘Love...I lived in Skellige long enough to know all things that live in a shell except clams have pincers and can inflict a great deal of pain’.

“Only when pissed off”.

‘Well did you ask it how it was feeling’? She wondered teasingly.

Yd shook his head and replied, “I didn’t think to. Man I should’ve thought about that. You win Ciri”.

‘I always do Yd’.

He looked at her with a cocky smile. She giggled. “You always win eh”?

‘I don’t like that look on your face’.

Suddenly he lifted her up off the ground and spotted a deep part of water in the lake. Using a great deal of energy and some magical knowledge he transported her from his arms, to the deep spot, then dropped her into the water. He heard some people behind him laugh along with him. The laughter turned to horror when to his astonishment he saw a drowner rise up out of the water and drag her under. “F**k”! He yelled. Some people watched as Yd ran as fast as could into the water to try to get to her. From a small blue scabbard he pulled a dagger out and dived deep under the surface to locate her. He spotted the drowner who had the unconscious woman in it’s grip. Yd sliced it across its neck then thrusted into it’s chest killing it quickly. Yd grabbed Ciri by her hand and rushed up to the surface. He swam with her all the way back to the shore and carried her out. Yd went to the dry warm sand and summoned a blue towel which he set her down on. Her stomach had deep scratches along it running horizontally. Ciri stirred and opened her eyes. Yd stopped the bleeding by applying direct pressure and asked, “Did he get you anywhere else”?

She sighed and replied, ‘No…...I….don’t think so’.

“Sorry I….really didn’t--

She giggled and said, ‘Love relax. I’m just glad it wasn’t worse’.

“Agreed”.

People along the beach went back to their business as he pulled her back to the vertical position. She kissed his neck and grabbed his hand once more as they continued along the beach.

Yd chuckled and said, ‘What’re the chances……..grabbed by a drowner as your husband’s standing on the shoreline laughing”.

Ciri giggled and replied, ‘I assume it was all part of the plan right’?

“Absolutely. I talked to the drowner telepathically and told him to take you under to show you the world from his perspective”.

She shook her head and continued laughing.

It was evening and the sun was getting ready to slip under the horizon as they returned to the same spot they had started a few hours ago. Yd led her to a large flat top rock that stuck out of the water a ways. He climbed up and helped her do the same. Yd sat on the edge of the rock with her next to him and they watched the bright orange explosion of color hit the calm blue water producing a mirror image of the sky above. Yd lifted her up onto his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck and whispered, ‘I’m so glad I didn’t let anyone talk me out of marrying you’.

Yd smiled and held her around her waist. “I’m glad you didn’t either”.

She tilted her head slightly and they kissed softly over and over.

Once the sun was down Yd sighed and laid his head in her chest. He made love to her neck inhaling the sweet scent of her smooth skin as he did so. They thought the exact same thing they always did before they leave an area though neither said it. “I…..don’t know what I’d do without you Cirilla. I need to do more of this sort of thing with you. I…….I’ve never been good at multitasking. Sometimes I let myself become too engrossed in what I’m doing and lose track of everything around me. I’m sorry”.

‘Don’t apologize to me love. I’d never be angry at something like that’.

Yd smiled and rubbed his hands across her smooth body. He sighed and said, “Well……...dinner then we go and make the final trek to the holding area. Sorry Ciri…….I want to do this during the night time to try to surprise them if you don’t mind”.

She moaned and replied, ‘As long as we’re together……..that’s all that matters to me’.

“Damn I love you”.

They touched one last time before walking to the main street once more to find some place to eat.

Of course as they walked through the door he conjured up their armor though he would’ve rather stayed in his shorts. Better days are coming……..keep yourself motivated Yd……...you can do this. As they walked in Yd ordered a fresh plate of seafood and two beers to hopefully keep them awake on the two hour ride to the east since the beer that was served in these parts was a spicy blend of dark beer. Ciri led him to a booth and sat next to him instead of across from him. She leaned into his left side and he put his arm around her. Most times when they entered a tavern, no matter what sort of town it was, he’d check to see who was there and how many people decided to show up but today he wasn’t worried about it. “A nice hot bath…….bottle of dark wine…….watch the snowfall to the ground….and do nothing for the rest of the day”.

Ciri kissed his cheek and replied, ‘Mmmm I shiver just thinking about that. Any idea about where Anna might be’?

Yd sighed and said, “Well…...not really. I haven’t heard anything around here. Not sure about the realms either. After this little game of hide and seek is done we’ll go after her immediately”.

‘No…...we’ll have some time to ourselves’.

He sighed and replied, “I don’t know…….this is our daughter we’re talking about”.

‘I know…...but...Yd come on….we’ve been on the move constantly for a whole week now’.

“And I’ll continue to be on the move until she’s home safe and sound. Need I remind you what happened to Vernon”.

‘No you needn’t’.

“Good. Even if it means you stay home and watch the dog that’s fine……..I want my daughter back though. I will get her…...come hell or high water and I’ll kill every lousy b*****d in my way”.

She sighed and said, ‘I can see this becoming a rather long excursion’.

“I can too but I’m used to it”.

‘I...guess I just don’t have the stamina you’ve got’.

Yd kissed her head and held her more tightly. “That’s not true. You’ve gone through more than I’ve had to over the years”.

‘Perhaps…..but that’s no excuse……...Hmmmm I love it here. How far away from our house would you say this is’?

There was a brief pause then he answered, “Maybe…..a four hour ride. Not terribly far. There’s a closer beach than this one relative to our house”.

‘Really? Do tell’. She demanded.

Yd chuckled as the food and drinks were delivered to the table. “Well…..Golding beach…...I think they call it that because of all the bright yellow fish that call that place home. It’s a half hour ride from the house to the south. There’s a medium sized town right on the edge called…...I think it’s called Halder Mine. Anyway it was a once thriving town but when the mine dried up most moved out though it’s pretty well built up now. The beach from what I hear is one of the biggest and it’s rumored to have the softest sands around making it pretty busy. Though I suppose to you that doesn't matter”.

Ciri swallowed and replied, ‘Meaning to you it does’? She asked.

Yd grabbed some sort of clam meat and ate. “Eh….well…..”-

‘Well what love’?

“You know…..the usual…”

Ciri chuckled and asked, ‘What does that mean’?

He sighed and said, “I….don’t really like taking my shirt off in public”.

‘What?......Why’?

“Well for one thing I’m not as skinny or strong as I used to be. For another I’ve got too many scars”.

‘Bollocks……...that’s all bollocks. It doesn’t matter how many scars you’ve got. On top of that you’re stronger than every single person on that beach. I don’t care what other people think about us as a couple Yd. I fell for you…..I stand by that and never regret it’.

He chuckled and replied, “I appreciate that Ciri…...you make me feel so good about myself once more”.

‘That’s how you should always feel Yd’.

“Changed my mind….we’ll take a large week break from doing anything and head down there multiple times. You and I deserve it”.

‘Yes, yes, yes……….mmmmm…….I feel like I’m ten years old again’.

They ate and drank till all the food was gone then the pair saddled up and headed further out to the east.

 

Chapter 8

 

Anna and Mistle were tired as they arrived at the house. The sun had set hours ago leaving them in the dark for most of the ride. The pair dismounted and walked through the door into the house. As they walked in Anna said, “If ….you don’t mind…….can I--

Mistle knew what she was going to say and she interrupted, ‘Yes you can’.

The pair walked to the back of the small house and into the master bedroom which to Anna’s surprise was fairly small. The room was mostly dark but because of the moon shining brightly into the room through the rectangular window in the ceiling, there was just enough light to see by. Anna took all her armor off down to her underwear and slipped into the red warm covers with Mistle. The straw colored hair woman noticed her nervousness and said softly, ‘Relax……..we’re safe here…….this place is deep in the woods where nothing can touch us’.

Anna sighed and replied looking at Mistle, “That’s not true. I suppose you don’t understand but…….ever since I came into this world…….I remember having to move all over the place. I had to leave whatever friends I had to travel to a safer area. I hated that feeling…….the feeling of always looking over your shoulder…….I hate it soo much……’.

She blushed as Mistle’s hand touched her leg. ‘Relax……...if trouble occurs…..we’ll get out of it. Between your magic and my swordsmanship we’ll be ok’.

Anna moved closer to the woman and said, “I’m tired of feeling alone with this damn curse hanging over me”.

‘I understand. That’s how your mom felt as well’.

“Hmmm I do hope I can see them again before….-

‘You will…….please trust me on this…..you will see them again’.

She nodded and closed her eyes.

 

Yd and Ciri arrived on scene at the camp the letter mentioned. Gull straits used to be underwater. As such the surrounding area looked like the bottom of a large sea. High dark rocky cliffs surrounded the bowl shaped area. No vegetation grew here as there was only sand which made it easy for Yd to spot the black tents that were lined up right next to a large cliff. It was well truly past midnight and nearing morning now as the ride took slightly longer than expected.

“F**k me I don’t like this one bit. Open terrain makes it easy to spot us from miles away. There seems to be a cave of sorts in that cliff face. I say that’s where they’re held up in. So we take them out and head for that”.

Ciri kissed his cheek and put on her bandanna. ‘Let’s get this done’.

Yd sighed and replied, “Indeed let’s wrap this s**t up”. He made his final adjustments and walked with her to the camp. As he expected he was seen right away.

‘Just keep coming ……..see what happens’.

“I’m quite prepared for what happens”.

‘You’re cocky attitude’s bound to get you killed’.

“Bullshit it is”.

There were ten men that stood in front of them. “We’re looking for two women who were thought to have been held hostage here”.

‘Interesting……….and you think we’d just hand them over to you’?

Yd smiled nastily under his bandanna and replied, “No…...I’m not that dumb”.

As soon as he said it Ciri’s sword seemed to jump to her hands and she teleported herself into the fray as Yd ran into the camp. Ciri conquered the first man with a large uppercut slicing into his head. A second came up from behind but she blocked and countered; quickly slicing his head cleanly off sending it rolling across the sandy floor. Yd kicked one man in his face then dodged a second. He went on the offensive using speed to his advantage; eventually he outdid one of the men who couldn’t keep up with his quickness and suddenly the man was missing a head. As soon as the deed was done he was jumped by two more. Yd backed up a bit and worked the group. He blocked one man, then another, then another. He waited patiently for an opening. He got it when one man tried a lazy vertical slash. Yd came in at an angle to avoid the man’s blade then thrusted through his neck. Blood squirted him in the face as he fell instantly to the ground. The six who were left fought even harder now. Yd was constantly having to move as was Ciri. He lunged at one taking the man but surprise and cutting into his neck area dropping him to the ground as he bled out. Ciri used the attack to set herself up and came in with lightning quick slashes that ended another man’s life adding more limbs to the blood red sand. Ciri was getting tired of playing the waiting game now; mustering up all the strength and pushing her power to it’s limits, she teleported killing the remaining four men in the back. Ciri bowed and sheathed her sword. “Remind me not to piss you off any time soon”. Yd said teasingly.

‘Indeed…….I will’.

The blood soaked pair walked into the mine and went all the way to the bottom as quickly as they could. There were candles spaced every so often in the winding tunnels which provided just enough light to see by. Eventually they came to the bottom and saw what they were looking for. Within the dark room up against the wall of the cave sat two women who looked to be clinging to the last few moments of life. “Holy f**k……..those…...f***s”. Yd walked up to the two women as Ciri stood there speechless. Both were stripped naked and next to them lay there dresses which were in pieces; Yd knew what happened here without even asking. The taller of the two women which he identified as the mom, by her red hair and brown eyes, looked at him with blood on her face and scars all over her badly bruised body. ‘Noo…….no more……..please….’!

Yd knelt down in front of her and replied softly, “Shhhhh relax…..I’m taking you two home…..”.

‘Yo…..you…...home’?

“Yes…..you and your daughter. I’ll take you home”.

Ciri walked up the the ten year old with wet eyes and picked her up. The girl wrapped her red arms around Ciri. Yd stopped the bleeding on the red haired woman’s body then lifted her up into his arms. He followed Ciri out of the cave with a burning rage inside of him. ‘There’s…...men…..outside..’. She said.

“Shhhhhh save your energy. The men are taken care of. Just rest….we’ve got a long journey ahead of us”.

‘Thank……..you….’

Yd felt tears roll down his face and replied, “Please just rest…….you’re in good hands now”.

Yd and Ciri loaded them onto their mares and high tailed it back to the west.

 

By the time the pair made it back to Gaf’s house it was morning. Both were running on fumes but knew they needed to do this now rather than later. The snow stung their bodies as they dismounted and grabbed the two women off their horses. Yd had wrapped them in warm green blankets that were really meant for horses but worked just as well for humans. Yd knocked on the door and held the mother in his arms. Gaf answered the door and his expression said it all. ‘Please bring them in and stay a while’.

“Thanks……..I still need to administer them. Where do you want her”?

‘Follow me’. He replied. Yd and Ciri followed the man through the house to the very back where he opened a door with a large green bed in the rightmost corner of the tan colored room. Yd set the woman down and motioned Ciri to set the young girl down next to her. “Go get some sleep Ciri. You’ve been up for a while”.

She tried to suppress a yawn as she said, ‘I’m fine…...I can help--

“Cirilla…...you’re my wife. I want you to get some sleep please. I’ll join you in a bit”.

Ciri walked up to him and kissed him. After a brief moment she walked out of the room and into the guest bedroom. Yd opened the blankets and started working on the women. Gaf came in and shook his head upon seeing their bruised discolored bodies. ‘Ydnar…….I can’t thank you enough…..for doing this’.

“Oh relax man. I promised you I’d do it. Despite the way they look they’ll be ok. The worst of the injuries look to be minor surface wounds and a broken ankle that belongs to your wife”.

Gaf nodded as he lit up the candles in the room. Yd felt the ten year old's neck and felt her hands grab onto his arm. Her blue eyes met his and Yd tried to suppress the tears that wanted so badly to fall. “You’re home…….you’ll be ok….”. Yd wiped his eyes and felt her heart rate slow slightly.

‘Is…..mom ok’? Her voice was weak and whispy.

Yd using the blanket wiped her naked body down. He looked at Gaf and said, “Get me some water and a clean towel please”.

‘On it’. Gaf said as he hurried out of the room to get the supplies.

Yd looked back at the young blonde brown haired girl and replied, “Yes…...your mom’s fine…….”.

There was a brief pause then she asked, ‘Who…….are you’?

“Are very good friend of your father’s”.

‘No…….your name….’.

Yd swallowed and replied, “Ydnar…….try to get some rest please”.

‘I…..I’m afraid……..if I fall asleep…….and don’t wake up’.

Yd had to stand up for a bit and turn around to wipe his eyes. How the f**k could any man do a thing like this! Ten years old; gets raped and beaten, probably looks at the world quite differently now. To hit a woman…...that’s the lowest a man can drop to in my mind. Animals……..those men were nothing but animals. Yd sighed and took his bandanna off. He turned around and walked back to the bed. “You’ll be ok…...I promise you’ll be ok”.

The young girl looked at his silver necklace that hung around his neck and extended a frail hand out to touch it. Yd took the necklace off and asked, “You want this”?

‘Can…….can I’? She asked with some difficulty.

Yd held back more emotions and replied, “You can”. He arranged it around her neck and put the hook into the hole. She smiled and looked at it. Yd thought of Anna but immediately he tried to block it out. Thankfully Gaf now returned with a blue bucket of water and two towels. Yd grabbed the bucket and took the brown sponge out. He started wiping the young girl down. Once he was done and he dried her off Yd turned to Gaf and instructed him, “Take her and let her rest for a while. She’s fine physically except for minor cuts and bruises but she needs rest”.

Gaf nodded and replied, ‘Ok….I can do that’. He came over and picked his daughter up off the bed. She giggled slightly as he lifted her into the air. Yd let a small smile appear on his face before he moved to Gaf’s wife. He knew she was awake since her chest was bobbing up and down. He took the sponge and started washing her down. She jumped slightly as he touched her. “Sorry…...I should’ve warned you….You’re probably sick of people touching you”.

‘You…..knew……...what ...happened’? She asked with tear filled eyes that now opened.

Yd sighed and replied, “I had an idea…..I….I was a bounty hunter for two full years under Emhyr……..I’ve seen a lot of terrible things but…….never that. I’m assuming your daughter went through it as well”.

‘Yes……..yes….she did’.

Yd nodded and continued washing her down.

‘Who...was that woman’?

Yd finished washing her off and took a blue towel to dry her off. “My wife”.

There was a brief pause then she said, ‘I….owe you….’.

Yd shook his head. “No…….stop saying that. I did this for a good friend not for money or land or property”.

‘Then…..something...else perhaps’.

“No…….please…...you owe me nothing”.

There was a brief pause. ‘Will you stay here’? She asked as she started to stand. “I don’t know if you should be--

‘Oh please…….I feel alive and well now. Tired…..but alive and well’.

Yd helped her stand. She looked into his blue eyes and he replied, “I…..we’re being hunted by men…..powerful men…...My plan’s to let my wife sleep for a few hours then head to our house to take it easy for a while before moving around again”.

‘Why do you move so much’?

Yd sighed and conjured up a large plate of food for the still clothe deprived woman. ‘You’re a source’?

He smiled and replied, “I am. So is my wife; she’s also an elder blood. I…..when I saw your daughter…..”. Yd shook his head and tried to hold back his emotions. “She reminded me of my daughter…...who’s also an elder blood and is currently being hunted. I….got her out of Aretuza only to lose her to some men who knocked me down and took her from me. I…..don’t know where she is now…….I need to find her and at the same time remain undetected”.

The woman nodded her head and sat down on the edge of the bed. ‘You’ve gone through a lot then I see. Is she your only child’? The woman asked as she started eating the food on the red plate. “Well……..I...no..she isn’t. My son…...died trying to save me from some men who are now looking for me and my daughter again. I…...feel like I hit my head against a wall every time I try to find her. Anyway…...sorry to burden you with my problems…..I’ll leave you alone now”.

‘No...please….stay with me. The men kept us separate so we couldn’t talk to each other. If you don’t mind I’d like to chat’.

Yd sighed and nodded his head. Gaf walked back into the room now and sighed. The man in red robes reaching all the way down to the floor said, ‘Ydnar…..I’m now your debt. I’ll give you your money--

“Forget about the money Gaf. Ciri and I are good”. He said as he sat down on the bed and rubbed his tired eyes.

The woman asked, ‘Did you get any sleep’?

“No…...we rode through the night to get here by early morning”.

‘You need sleep then’.

“No...I can sleep while my wife and I ride back to our house”.

Gaf walked up and sat down next to Yd. ‘I’ve…..got some good news about your daughter’.

Yd immediately woke up out of his groggy sleep deprived state and said, “Please….give me all you’ve got”.

He nodded and said as his wife continued eating,‘It...was rather odd since you told me she’s only five though she looked more like she was ten or….well….older than my daughter’.

Yd shot a confused look back at him, “Perhaps it wasn’t my daughter then”.

‘It was. There’s no mistaking it. Green eyes, white hair, looks almost exactly like her mother…….It was definitely her. She was with a blonde haired woman who saved me from a second raid on this house’.

“Mistle…..found Anna somehow…..how’s that possible? Mmmmmm makes my head hurt trying to understand what the hell happened. Continue please if you’ve got anything else”.

‘Well…….she said she was looking for you. I told her where you went. That camp to the east. My son offered up our horses to the pair to take with them’.

“F**k…..excuse my vulgar language…….I forgot …--

‘Relax’ ,the woman replied.

Yd sighed and continued, “Those men…...are not just regular bandits…..yes for me they’re easy to kill but …...Anna …….no they’re not an easy kill”.

‘Ydnar they saved my son and I from at least ten of them. She used magic and between the two of them….well……’.

Yd rubbed the stubble on his face and replied, “And you think she may’ve been genetically aged”?

‘It seems to be that way yes’.

“How long did it take them to find you relative to our last talk at the tavern in Ankora”?

The man looked up at the white ceiling and responded, ‘Around four hours’.

Yd punched the air and groaned. “Anna why…….why did you think you could find me and avoid being chased at the same time? I don’t understand any of this…….she only knows basic spells. Though that’s enough for bandits she’s got mages after her as well…..then there’s Adrian…...I hate this…..Well….I guess I know where we’re going after this then”.

The room was silent for a bit before Gaf asked, ‘When are you leaving’?

“As soon as Ciri’s up and ready”.

‘And you’re going after your daughter immediately’? His wife added.

Yd sighed and shook his head. “Look….to you it may not make much sense…...I busted my a*s raising her. Ciri and I both did. I...will not let her get hurt by anyone. I don’t care how many heads need to fall to the ground but she will live a life she can be proud of regardless of her age. My son had a troubled life right from the very beginning. I will not make the same mistake with Anna……..I need to find her and hide her away from the world”.

Gaf looked into his eyes and said seriously, ‘Ydnar…..how do you plan on doing that? You’re in over your head in ...well…….drowner brain…..yet you think you can track her down before all the others do and then hide her? I…….you’re my best friend so don’t take this the wrong way but how’d that work out with your wife’?

Yd sighed and replied, “not very well...yes I understand but things are different now”.

‘How so? It seems to me they’re exactly the same but with different actors. Adrian can feel her presence…..then the men can find her based on that information….then you’ve got a powerful mage looking for her as well…..Yd...I can’t see you doing this. You’re going to die trying’.

Ydnar looked right into the man’s eyes with a stare that meant all business, “Then so be it…..at least she’ll survive to have kids and marry a man”.

‘You’re being naive…...I hate to say it but you are’.

Yd chuckled and said, “I love it…...I love it when outsiders come up to me and tell me how they think I should care for my daughter”.

‘I want to help you and besides I’m no outsider’.

Yd stood up off and bed and said, “Can we talk somewhere outside perhaps? I’m starting to fall asleep”.

Gaf nodded and stood up.

 

The two men walked outside into the cold morning air and sat down in a large dark wood gazebo.

‘Ydnar….I’m curious...what is your intention with her? What do you plan to do when you find her’?

Yd looked at the old man and replied, “I want to train her how to use a sword and how to protect herself. I….also want to do some things  I never got a chance to do with my son”.

‘She’s got to be better than Adrian…..only she can take him on’.

“I agree. I’ll train her to be that good then”.

‘Ydnar this is about more than swordsmanship’.

Ciri walked up and sat in a wooden chair next to Yd though he didn’t seem to notice.

“Bullshit it is”.

‘Ydnar…...my friend...think about this. She needs to be a better elder blood than Adrian…...take her to the mages and--

“No”! He shouted slamming his fist down on the glass table as he did so. “I will not give her to those p***y footed f***s! They screwed my wife over and then what happened on Aretuza! We barely managed to get out of that shitfest alive and you want me to hand her to them? Are you f****n insane Gafner”?

The old man sighed and rubbed his bald head. ‘Ydnar….you’ve strong biases against them’.

“For good reasons. They operate on a need to know basis. They have their own schedule and motives…….no…...I….can’t even fathom sending her to the lodge”.

Gaf now got frustrated and started yelling. ‘Ydnar who the f**k is going to teach her then!? You!? No! You barely know how to conjure clothes and food let alone how to teleport in an instant to any given location! Who’s going to teach her’!?

“I’ll find somebody. In the meantime--

‘In the meantime she’s getting older by the second and doesn’t have anyone to teach her’!

Yd sighed and shook his head at the man. Only now did he see Ciri sitting next to him. “Gaf…...I’m trying…..I need to be a good husband, a good father, a good mentor, and protect my loved ones above all. I …..can only do so much. What if the lodge gets pulled apart? What am I to do? You know their past history has been as corrupt as a man in a gold mine…….what if something happens”?

‘Ydnar……..the lodge respects her above all others in the planes…….that respect will drive them to care for her and see that she’s taken care of’.

Yd rubbed his eyes and felt the cold breeze wash over his tired sore body. “Every ….fiber in my body hates them for what they tried to do to Ciri. Anna’s easily as stubborn as her mom….she knows about what happened on the isle. I…..don’t think she’ll give in……”.

There was a brief pause and then Gaf said, ‘I think it’s the best option’.

Yd cleared his throat and said, “I sacrificed a lot to show Anna how much I love her…...In fact we both did. I saved her from countless men and women who wanted to take her away from us for their own benefit. Think about that as if it was your daughter Gaf. Think deeply about it……..then look me right in my eyes and tell me with all the confidence you can muster that it’s the best thing for her”.

Gaf looked down at the ground and closed his eyes. Ciri took Yd’s hand and gripped it tightly. Gaf a brief moment later looked back up and looked Yd in his eyes without twitching. The man said in a voice as strong as the blue mountain range, ‘I know…..it’s the best thing for her. If she’s to save the human race…...that’s where she’ll need to be’.

Yd wasn’t angry but sad. Sad that once again he’d find her only to turn her over to some group of people he barely even knew. “Ok…….well…..so be it. Anna, when we find her, will be given to the lodge for her training and knowledge”.

Gaf nodded and said, ‘I know it was hard…….but trust me Yd…...if I didn’t think of everything then I wouldn’t suggest it’.

“I trust you”.

Yd looked at Ciri and said, “well…...shall we go to our house and later the beach my princess”?

Ciri chuckled and replied, ‘My prince we shall’.

They stood up and bid farewell to Gaf one last time before the pair rode off into the snow covered wilderness for their home. On the ride over with Yd in the front and Ciri in the back she asked, ‘What happened to your silver necklace? Didn’t your father give you that’?

Yd nodded and replied, “He did indeed”.

‘Did you lose it’?

He smiled and replied, “No. I left it in the possession of a little girl who needs it more than I do”.

Ciri smiled warmly and said, ‘Did you really give it to her’?

“I did”.

She chuckled and kissed his neck. ‘Ydnar she’ll remember that for the rest of her life’.

“I hope she does”.

‘You’re so sweet to women. I got lucky…...really lucky’.

He smiled and asked, “Was it love at first sight”?

She replied, ‘It was indeed…..nothing but my prince’.

She wrapped her arms around him as they rode at a fast pace to their home.              

  

          

 

       

        

   

                           

 

    

                               

                 

 

               

 

        

 

 

 

                         

                                               

© 2017 Randall Russell Toll


Author's Note

Randall Russell Toll
How does it sound and flow?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
Added on May 31, 2017
Last Updated on May 31, 2017
Tags: The witcher, Ciri, action, adventure, mid evil, swords, knights, magic, sorcery, blood, romance

Author

Randall Russell Toll
Randall Russell Toll

Vicksburg, MI



About
I'm an amateur writer who does it as a hobby. I enjoy trying new things in my writing and love the feeling of connecting with a group of like minded individuals. more..

Writing