This Way Comes - Chapter 3

This Way Comes - Chapter 3

A Chapter by FRAN.KING
"

What will Blue and Noah do when faced with something truly terrifying?

"

Whilst  Blue  was  still  staring  at  the  space  in between  the  man’s  boots  and  the  floor,  Noah  was watching  the  man’s eyes. They  were  moving slowly  over  the  pair,  as  if  not  fully  understanding what  they  were  seeing. His  eyes  grazed  over  Noah’s  face  and, without  warning,  they  made  eye  contact. Noah  felt,  as  he stared  into  the  cold  blue  eyes  of  the  floating  man,  as  if  the  man  could  see  right  into  his  head, as  if  he  could  read  his  thoughts.  Noah  shivered and  looked  away  as  the  ghost’s  eyes  moved  over to  Blue. 

 

Blue,  having  seen  the  affect  the  ghost  had  on Noah  knew  she  had  to  act.  Although  feeling more  absolutely  terrified  than  she  had  in  all  of  her  life Blue  knew  she  had  to  be  brave  for her  Second.   She  stepped  towards  the  floating  man  and,  with  her  chin  held  up  importantly,  said  “Are  you  a  friend  or  a  foe?”  

 

The  ghost  said  nothing  in  reply.  It  tilted  its  head  slightly  as  if  sizing  Blue  and  Noah  up,  and  then,  very  slowly,  it  smiled  the  most  horrific,  most  evil  smile  anyone  had  ever  smiled.

 

The  vile  glint  in  his  eye  told  Blue  that  this was  no  friend.  This  creature  had  nothing  but  bad intentions  for  the  adventurers.  “You  have  no business  with  us,  foul  beast,”  (Blue  didn’t  have any idea  what  this  meant,  but  she  thought  it  sounded very  impressive)  “begone,  or  I’ll,  I’ll…”, Blue wasn’t  sure  what  she’d  do.

“Or,”  tried  Noah,  “We’ll,  we’ll  smite  you!”

“Yes.  Or  we’ll  smite  you  and  then  you’ll  be sorry”

The  ghost’s  smile  faltered,  the  evil  glint  leaving his  eyes  for  just  a  moment.  He  looked  them both over  once  more,  than  then  without  taking  his  eyes  off  them,  melted  back  into  the  darkness.

 

Breathing  a  sigh  of  relief,  Blue  slid  her  sword back  into  her  belt.  She  turned  to  Noah  and  said, “What  does  ‘smite’  mean?”

Noah  let  out  a  nervous  laugh.  “I’m   not totally sure  but   think it’s  a  good  thing  to  say  to  ghosts.” He  thought  for  a  moment  “Or  it  could  be  a  good thing  for  a  ghost  to  say.”

“Well,  whatever  it  means,  it  seemed  to  work.  It’ll  be  back  though.  I  think  that  was  just  a warning.  I  think  that’s  what’s  guarding  the Something  the  dandelions  point  to.”  Blue  said seriously.  “But  it’s  a  good  sign.”

“How  was  that  a  good  sign?”

“It  means  we’re  getting  close”  said  Blue.  And the  pair  turned,  continuing  down  the  dark  path  together.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

The   darkness   was,   once again, becoming   heavier,   as   if  they  were   walking   through   a  tunnel   from   day  into  night.   The  trees  and  plants  around  them became  denser,  every  step  felt  like  a  battle  against  nature,  as  if  the  forest  itself  was  protecting  the  Secret  Something.  Blue  was  starting  to  get  impatient,  the  further  in  they  went,  the slower  they  were  moving.  Her  wellies  made  it difficult  for  her  to  pick  her  feet  out  of  the  tangle of  vines  at  the  forest  floor,  more  than  once  she  felt  her  foot  begin  to  slip  out  of  her  boot  and  had  to  stand  on one  foot  to  pull  the  welly  out  without  getting  her  purple  stripy  socks  wet.  

 

The  fourth  or  fifth  time  this  happened  Blue gave  out  an  almighty  sigh  and  said  to  Noah  “This  is  hopeless.  We’ll  never  find  the  Secret Something  at  this  rate.”  Noah  looked  at  her  as  she  hopped  grumpily  on  one  leg,  then  squinted  up at  the  tangle  of  branches  above  their  heads.

“There’s  only  one  thing  for  it,”  he  said,  as  if resigned  to  the  worst  thing  ever.  “we’ll  have  to climb  through  the  trees”

Blue  was  so  surprised  at  this  that  she  stopped hopping.  This  was  a  mistake  as  she  lost  her balance  and  fell  flat  on  her  bum  in  the  vines. “You’re  not  being  serious?”  she  said  looking  up at  him  from  the  floor.  “Noah  Jefferson,  suggesting  we  climb  a  tree?  I’ve  never  heard anything  so  outrageous”

Noah  looked  down  at  her,  his  eyebrows  knotted together  very  seriously.  “Whatever  the  Secret Something  is,  I  think  we  need  to  find  it,  and soon,  before  someone  truly  awful  can  get  their hands  on  it”

Amazed,  but  concerned  about  Noah’s  fear  of heights,  Blue  stood  up  and  looked  seriously  into his  eyes.  “Are  you  totally,  completely  sure  you want  to  do  this?”  she  asked,  pulling  her  welly back  on  over  her  now  soggy  sock. 

Noah  nodded,  “It’s  the  right  thing  to  do”.

 

Blue  spent  a  few  minutes  looking  around  for  a nearby  tree  that  Noah  would  be  able  to  climb. She  settled  for  a  particularly  lumpy  oak.

 

Noah  started  trying  to  climb  the  tree.  Following Blue’s  advice,  he  started  by  throwing  his  arms over  the  branch  and  then  swinging  himself  up, but  he  couldn’t  figure  out  how  to  get  up  any higher  once  hanging  over  the  branch.  After  falling back  down  a  few  time  Blue  suggested  a  new tactic,  throwing  his  leg  up  with  his  arm  and pulling  himself  up,  but  after  a few  failed  attempts  to  get  his  leg  onto  the  lowest  branch,  Noah started  to  get  annoyed  and  tried  running  and jumping  at  the  branch,  each  time  ending  up painfully  falling  on  his  bum. 

 

Realising  this  would  be  harder  for  him  than  she  had  thought,  Blue  offered  to  take  Noah’s  bag  off  him  to  make it  easier  for  him  because  she  knew  that  even  though  he  was  wearing  trainers,  and  she  was wearing  wellies,  (trainers  are  the  ideal  footwear for  climbing  trees  and  Blue  would  happily  explain  to  anyone  who  asked  exactly  why)  he  found  climbing  much  more  difficult  than  she  did  and  was  therefore  much  less  practiced  at  it.  Noah  took  off  his  pack  and  helped  Blue  fix  it  over  the  top  of  hers,  meaning  she  ended  up  looking  a  bit  like  a  turtle. 

 

Even  without  the  weight  of  the  bag  Noah  still couldn’t  manage  to  pull  himself  up.  Blue  decided she  had  to  do  what  any  good  leader  would  do for  their  Second.

“Here,”  she  said,  linking  her  fingers  together  to make  a  cradle  with  her  hands,  “I’ll  give  you  a leg  up”.  With  a  look  of  relief,  Noah  placed  his  muddy  trainer  into  Blue’s  outstretched hands  and,  with  a  shove  from  his  best  friend, managed  to  throw  himself  onto  the  lowest  branch. 

“Thanks,”  he  said,  grinning,  as  he  swung  his  leg over  the  branch,  so   he  was  sitting  up. Blue smiled  and  pulled  herself  up  next  to  him, grinning  back.  “Anytime”

 

With  Blue’s  help,  Noah  climbed  quite  high  up  the  tree,  finally  reaching  a  branch that  stretched  over  to  the  neighbouring  Elm.  He sat,  as  Blue  instructed,  with  his  legs  either  side of  the  tree,  whilst  he  waited  for  Blue  to  haul herself  up  next  to  him.

Trying  his  best  not  to  look  down,  he  glanced along  the  branch  to  where  it  met  a  branch  of  the  next  tree  and  gulped. 

“Blue,”  he  said  in  a  near  whisper,  “I  don’t  think I  can  do  this”

“Don’t  be  silly  Noah!”  She  said  as  she  pulled herself  up  behind  him.  “You’ll  be  fine,  you’ve done  the  difficult  bit  already.” 

Noah  didn’t  look  convinced.  Blue  offered  to  help him  climb  back  down  and  carry  on  walking,  but  Noah  was  more  scared  of  climbing  down  than  he  was  climbing  from  tree  to  tree. 

 

Noah  started  shuffling  along  the  branch,  holding  the  branch  above  for  support,  and  before  long  he  realised  the  fastest  way  would  just  be  swinging  from  branch  to  branch  like  a  monkey.  He’d  seen  Blue  do  it  before  so  how  hard  could  it  be?  Wrapping  his  arms  tightly  around  the  branch,  he  stood  up  and  walked  along  it.  The  further  away  from  the  trunk  he got,  the  thinner  the  branch  was,  until  he  felt  like  he  was  walking  along  a  tightrope.  Once  the  branch  was  too  thin  to  walk  on,  he  stopped,  judging  where  the  nearest  branch  would  be,  and  how  far  he  would  have  to  swing  to  reach  it.  Taking  a  few  steps  backwards,  Noah  closed  his  eyes,  took  a  long  deep  breath,  and  without  warning,  ran  forwards  and  jumped,  still  holding  the  branch.  Mid  swing,  when  he  was  between  both  trees,  he  let  go  with  one  hand and  grabbed  the  nearest  branch  with  his  other.  He  pulled  himself  over  and  swung  himself  onto  a  lower  branch. 

 

 Having  got  his  balance  on  the  new  tree,  he  looked  up  at  Blue,  whose  face  was  white,  her  eyes  wide.  Noah  smiled  up  at  her,  and  her  face  broke  into  the  biggest  smile  he  had  ever  seen. 

 

 “That,”  laughed  Blue,  “was  the  bravest  most  impressive  thing  I  have  ever  seen!”

 Noah,  laughing  with  her,  gave  a  small  bow.  “Your  turn.”  Noah  moved  up  the  branch  so Blue  would  have  room  to  land,  and  then,  without  a  moment’s  hesitation,  swung  easily  onto Noah’s  branch. 

 Once  Blue  was  balance,  Noah  moved  all  the  way  up  the  branch  and  stood  up  next  to  the trunk.  He  wrapped  his  arms  around  it  and  placed  his  foot  on  a  branch  coming  from  the  other  side  of  the  trunk.  He  pulled  himself  around  and  stood  up  on  the  branch.  Shuffling along  this  branch  he  found  his  confidence  growing,  and  relatively  soon  the  pair  were  making impressive  progress,  swinging  through  the  trees.  Noah  noticed  that  they  had  somehow  climbed  a  lot  higher  than  they  had  been  on  the  first  branch,  as  there  was  much  more  sunlight  getting  through  to  them,  making  their  progress  that  much  easier,  but  somehow,  he  didn’t  seem  to  mind  the  height  so  much  anymore. 

 

Although   carrying   Noah’s   backpack   as   well   as   her   own   made   Blue   feel   very   unbalanced,    Blue  knew  that  only  way  to  stop  Noah  falling  out  of  the  trees  was  for  her  to  carry  his  bag  for  him.   After  a  while  she  stopped  noticing  the  extra weight  because  her excitement  at  how  fast  they were  travelling  distracting  her. 

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

 

In  the  middle  of  the  forest,  Blue  and  Noah  sat,  their  legs  hanging  off  the  branch.

 “How  far  do  you  think  we  have  left  to  go?”  Asked  Noah  through  a  mouthful  of  banana (his mum always packed him something to eat, explorers need fuel).

 “I’m  not  sure,”  Blue  said,  peering  down  at  the  forest  floor,  “But  I  think  we  might  be  okay  to  climb  down  and  carry  on  by  walking”

 Putting  their  banana  skins  into  the  rucksacks  on  Blue’s  back  the  pair  began  the climb back down, feeling  nervous.  Up  in  the  trees  they  felt  safe,  the  distance  between  them  and  the  thing they  had  met  made  them  feel  as  if  they  had  the  upper  hand,  but  if  they  were  back  on  the  same  level  they  weren’t  so  sure  they  would  be  able  to  scare  it  off  for  a  second  time. 





© 2021 FRAN.KING


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on August 14, 2021
Last Updated on August 15, 2021
Tags: children's, adventure, first draft, writer, book, children's adventure


Author

FRAN.KING
FRAN.KING

United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm Fran and I'm an aspiring children's author. I've always loved reading and so due to natural progression, I've pretty much always wanted to write. more..

Writing