Jenny's Jesus

Jenny's Jesus

A Story by Freder Fredersen (aka Grady)
"

Story

"

 I

 

The overloaded washing machine is having a seizure. It sounds like there are thirty bad drummers jammed in our utility room playing thirty beats incorrectly. I’m on the couch watching an Alfred Hitchcock rerun, and Jenny’s at the kitchen table reading her Bible. Neither of us have the energy to get up and fix the washing machine again. Let it rumble. Suddenly, she pops up from her spiritual exercise and asks me if I want to go to church with her on Sunday. I’m thinking no, I’d rather sleep until noon, and then watch foot ball, but my head nods in submission. “Sure honey, its been awhile. I’d love to go with you.” Sorry for lying Lord, but telling the truth could lead to a string of other sins that do far more damage. Amen. As I finish my internal prayer, she begins ranting about all the blessings we miss because we do not ask for them. Hey, I believe in Christ as my Savior and Lord, but I don’t think of Him as a big vending machine: pop in a prayer, and out rolls a blessing. She’s still talking as I prepare for another inward confession . . . because I’m about to lie again.

 

II

 

This Church is filled with big silky banners and fancy woodwork. Heck, just the light fixtures would cost me a year’s wages. And where do these guys shop? I mean the suits and gold jewelry are as distracting as the 40 foot cross that stands front and center of the auditorium. I’ve been hugged by all the same people who whispered and giggled to one another when I got out of the truck in my best blue jeans and button up plaid shirt. I am trying not to judge. The pastor is ranting about Christian’s being chosen to have all they want; and all we need to do is ask. I wonder if God could beam me out of here, and to the nearest sports bar if I ask. All this ‘health and wealth’ stuff is just too much for me. I love Jenny, and I love Jesus, but I can’t help but think that her Jesus is not the same as mine. In my opinion, salvation from death and Hell was a pretty big ticket item for Him to give me. I don’t really need a bunch of other stuff for Him to prove that He loves me. I guess we all have different views. Jenny is intelligent, and she seems to believe what these people are saying. I’m just not so sure.

 

 III

 

 On the way to having an after church dinner at a nearby restaurant, I notice that the pastor and one other deacon are the only people driving fancy cars. Everyone else seems to be right around my income level. Maybe they’re not asking enough either. Jenny is going on and on about how marvelous the sermon was, and how much we stand to gain by asking God for more. I’m not even hungry. I look over at my lovely wife, and see greed creeping onto her face and into her heart. She looks like a stranger. Dinner is filled with round after round of everyone counting ‘blessings’ that sound more to me like indulgent wastes of money: jet skis, swimming pools, private schools and such. I’m trying to keep my silence. The deacon with the new Mercedes is looking at Jenny like she may be a ‘blessing’ for which he’s been asking. I can’t wait to get out of here.

 

IV

 

 Jenny has gone over the edge with this stuff. She prays, then puts the ‘blessings’ on credit cards. The debt is getting taller than that giant cross in the church auditorium. She’s always out with Brother and Sister someone or another. I hardly ever see her anymore. As I sit alone reading my Bible and listening to the washing machine dance, I am overcome with a feeling that Jenny’s Jesus is going to destroy us. Lord, the only blessing I’m looking for is a resolution to these horrid feelings. Amen. I fall asleep just before Judas betrays Christ.

 

V

 

Jenny has left me for Brother Joe (the Mercedes deacon). I am hurting, but somehow, I feel relief. Though, my marriage is broken, my faith is still intact. I only hope that Jenny finds faith that doesn’t revolve around cash and prizes. Brother Joe was kind enough to pay down all those credit cards, Jenny moved out about a week ago and the washing machine is still dancing. Let it rumble! Thank you Lord. Amen.

© 2009 Freder Fredersen (aka Grady)


Author's Note

Freder Fredersen (aka Grady)
May the Lord bless you and keep you!
�Puede a El Se�or Bendice que Usted y Le Mantiene!
Pouvoir Le Seigneur Vous B�nit et Vous Garde !
Kann Der Herr Segnet Sie und Beh�lt Sie!
Potere Il Signore La Benedice e La Tenere!
Possa O Senhor Aben�o�-lO e O Mantem!
願上帝保佑你,保有你!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow!! I love how you tell a story so vividly it is as if I am there. As for "Jenny's Jesus"....I couldn't agree with you more....too many seem to have that same notion...and charge a lot of STUFF....even the churches spend way more than is necessary. But, I am baffled as to how those who seek worldly riches salve their conscience or justify having so much stuff while others are hungry. Oh, the Lord did promise to supply all our NEEDS....but I sure don't recall any promise to supply all our WANTS.

Great write! I love it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

So sadly moving, contrasting the simple faith that extends from love to a faith about self and things of this world... A message for all of us to be careful which road we choose. Powerful!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Ain't that the way. I can relate.

Good read

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Too Cool.
There have been many times in my life where I have felt the same thing about the differences in Jesus.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is sorta how I see a lot of christians. I think they should all believe and behave such as the narrator. I love the way you tell a story, you have a loud voice in the writing world, even if it's only in my eyes.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow!! I love how you tell a story so vividly it is as if I am there. As for "Jenny's Jesus"....I couldn't agree with you more....too many seem to have that same notion...and charge a lot of STUFF....even the churches spend way more than is necessary. But, I am baffled as to how those who seek worldly riches salve their conscience or justify having so much stuff while others are hungry. Oh, the Lord did promise to supply all our NEEDS....but I sure don't recall any promise to supply all our WANTS.

Great write! I love it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 23, 2009
Last Updated on April 23, 2009

Author

Freder Fredersen (aka Grady)
Freder Fredersen (aka Grady)

Cleveland, TX



About
I'm as wired as a Kamikaze train wreck dance off in downtown Screamerville! When I write I try to leave this world behind and create a new dimension of words and other fresh organic ingredients. In ot.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark