THE DISTRESS OF ANNAPURNA

THE DISTRESS OF ANNAPURNA

A Poem by Gurdeep...The Lost

THE DISTRESS OF ANNAPURNA






There's a land just below the paradise, Of intricate traits ; it's sketch is imprecise. A lady seated there in a state, tranquil, Looks exquisite, and  smiles at her will. The goddess of the grain--Annapurna, is her name, To apportion the grain, seems to be her aim. She carries a bowl in one of her hands, And with a ladle in the other, she traverses other lands. But today, somewhat, melancholy she seems, Upon her distress, she sadly deems. "The ladle doesn't pour into the mouths of who need, The bowl is emptied by the tyrants who lead", thinks she, "So much into nature's lap I lay, But all they snatch, in a heinous way. To favor themselves, they have rules unfair,' Which stifle true needs, without any care". The nature she knows, produces all pure, But what becomes of it, she isn't sure. "In greed, the grain, they adulterate, Without compunction to earn great" realizes she,"Oh Its so ailing to see, This distress, with none to consider my plea. The grain which sustains life each day, Is now also responsible for taking it away." Empty handed, then , she wanders in  a street, Where the affluent enjoy, and the poor ones weep. For this oppression , who is to blame? Who's responsible for these deeds of shame? Somewhere, so many choices, difficult to make, Somewhere, there is agony, of how to take. What is to be put into the hungry child's hand? The emptied the bowls in all the lands!

© 2015 Gurdeep...The Lost


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

But today, somewhat, melancholy
she seems,
Upon her distress, she sadly deems.
"The ladle doesn't pour into the
mouths of who need,
The bowl is emptied by the tyrants
who lead",

it's just happening right now good concept. pretty beautifully penned...

Posted 9 Years Ago


I don't know what to say for this. It's a very powerful piece I feel. I love the rhyme in it, and the way it feels like the goddess is actually talking.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Gurdeep...The Lost

9 Years Ago

Hmm..somewhat this is the case with me,but I am emotions-directed in general. I write when emotions .. read more
Serena

9 Years Ago

:) yeah. I like the darker emotions though
Absolutely fantastic! ... great lines ... nice flow ... and the feel of regret mixed with never ending hope. Well done Gurdeep.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gurdeep...The Lost

9 Years Ago

Thanks for thy review Dayran :-)
This is fantastic! I get the feeling of a godess seeing the misfortunes man has created for himself and how it pertains to the missuse of resources. A great portrait of man's continuing march away from nature and how it affects more than we think. Good stuff!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gurdeep...The Lost

9 Years Ago

Thnks for ur king review Inda :-)
The point of view is so human that you can't ask for more and I'm amazed to see that how well written it is.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Laminators Dubai

9 Years Ago

That's relevant and like cultural Indian painting styles. that tree isn't green anymore and the the .. read more
Gurdeep...The Lost

9 Years Ago

Hmm..I had just randomly drawn it and felt lazy to fill in colours, or make leaves for the tree etc... read more
Laminators Dubai

9 Years Ago

That's actually very good idea. nice try

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2014
Last Updated on July 3, 2015

Author

Gurdeep...The Lost
Gurdeep...The Lost

Shillong, Meghalaya, India



About
Hello ! Being an amateur poet, I like to express thoughts, feelings and even situations through poems. General and personal imagery, both enthuse me, depending upon the requirement. I am an engineer b.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..