It's not your time.

It's not your time.

A Story by Douglas Levi Gribbins

As I sit in the state of mind I could only know as purgatory, my brain cannot make my surroundings, I do not know what is in the darkness, but I know it is there. I can feel it coming from behind me, it's been approaching for such time now. I call for it to make a move, and not to waste what time I have left, and for it to do what it has to do, and to make it quick, if it even intended to do anything in the first place. I heard no response, so I said again "Don't hide in the shadows like a child, face me, if you are even the creature I perceive you as." I then heard a faint growl in the distance behind me, I can't move, as if i'm seated in a chair, tied up, no control of my body, I face the darkness, the mist of my vision. I heard it growl, bite, and screech into the dark as it stepped closer, slowly and steadily, as if it were taking it's time in hunting me as if my sanity was it's next meal. I heard its sharp claws and fangs slice at the thin air that surrounded us all, Myself, and the predator that lurks within me.

I called out again for it to hurry up, and if it was planning to do anything, to make it quick, as if I wanted my life to end, As if I've been awaiting this moment for a long time. I heard my impatient shouts echo throughout the seemingly endless mist of darkness that clouded my surroundings, as it muffled the footsteps of the being that was lurking behind me, As I awaited for my hunter to strike, I saw a man slowly walk by me, he looked familiar, and was walking with a little boy, no older than 3, He seemed to be his father, or perhaps a big brother, needless to say, the kid seemed to look up to him highly, and smiled with every contact he had with him.

As they walked along the mist, I could hear vehicles pass by, and the ringing of a bell that was attached to a kids bicycle. For some reason, this entertained me, and I cracked a little smile at hearing it, I could no longer see the two boys, as they ventured deeper into the mist, I could still hear the beast behind me, it seemed to have gotten a little closer, as it's growls has gotten a bit louder and clearer. Shortly after hearing the bicycle, I could hear vehicles passing by on a road, seemingly at high speeds, a sudden loud noise startled me, but I could not move, I could only listen and see, I saw a crying mother rushing to a corpse of a boy who was hit by a truck while on his bicycle, I was unable to make an expression, all I could hear was crying, anguish, despair which haunted me.

After seeing all of that happen, I saw a young boy pass by me, expressionless, not even making eye contact, he walked right past me, seemingly emotionless and unaware of the rest of the world. I could hear the beast step even closer to me as it growled impatiently, as if something was keeping it from getting to me, but what? More incidents passed by me, most commonly included a young man, and presumably his father, getting into it, the father being rather abusive to the boy, who seemed to have done nothing to him.

As time passed, the beast had gotten within arms reach of me, I could not see it, but i knew it was right behind me, before it attacked, it muttered in my ear "It is not your time..." As I heard its claws lunge at me, I woke up in a hospital bed, surrounded by my family, My mother, sister, father, and brother, they told me I was lucky to be alive, and a voice inside my head repeated what it had said, It was not my time....

© 2015 Douglas Levi Gribbins


Author's Note

Douglas Levi Gribbins
Ignore grammatical errors, please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting. I like how you leave the conclusion to the reader's imagination, while still providing a lot of detail. Good stuff.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Amazing imagination. The climax was as great as it could be and I could never have guessed it. The sounds and visions were vividly described. At first, I thought the people who were passing by him were dead humans going from purgatory to heaven. It was great how you narrated the incident, an extraordinary style. From the first word to the last, this was engaging.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 23, 2015
Last Updated on May 23, 2015
Tags: Horror, Reality.