Sticks and Stones

Sticks and Stones

A Poem by Devons

Black can be white
and white can be black
with a shadowy greyness
of indecision in between
Where diplomacy lies
and honesty hides
Like the child in our soul
Should be unheard
and unseen
And taught the lesson verbatim:
Sticks and stones 
May break their bones
But words will never hurt them

© 2015 Devons


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think (meaning to me) the core of this is in the lines "where diplomacy lies and honesty hides" and the twist in the end..I'll think some more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Things aren't this or that, relativity is a concept that too often goes unnoticed--which you beautifully and concisely convey-- and words that seem so tangible are actually not as real as the things they attempt to represent. This, to me, is a wonderful piece about reality and all we think it is.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Like an ocean of rhythm. I like the weighing of indecision here. The concept of this goes far. Excellent write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


ramifications must be respected when applying the rule of "honesty is the best policy". sometimes intelligence is more important.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'm not sure I agree with everything you said, or maybe I just didn't follow properly what you were trying to say, but I did enjoy reading it nevertheless.
"where diplomacy lies
and honesty hides"

I agree with Fran Marie, this was very thought provoking. I can't stop wondering what the true meaning behind it is.

Are you talking about exploration and finding yourself, ignorant to the outsider's criticism? Or are you saying that a person will be who they were in the beginning, as much as they try to change? Or are you saying both?

Ah..

Posted 13 Years Ago


I keep coming back to these lines: "Like the child in our soul/Should be unheard/and unseen/And taught the lesson verbatim:" ... implying that the lesson is not taught and therefore the kinds of issues that arise from the shadowy greyness of indecision are almost inevitable. Such a delicate dance, the balance between honesty and diplomacy, and the search for "truth" amidst perception ... ::trying very hard not to invoke John Keats' Ode on a Grecian Urn:: ::but would much rather invoke Shelley's Ozymandias to make my point :: ... this hearkens back to both of these, in its brevity (Shelley) and precision (Keats) ... even though I know you hate for me to say that. Regardless of any evocation of Poetic Sentiment of Yore, once again the constantly juxtaposing simplicity/complexity of your own unique voice shimmers through.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this was wonderful! in the "shadowy greyness of indecision" black can become white and vice vesra. nothing is true. "diplomacy [it] lies and honesty hides." this is just a heavy poem! great write!

-light-

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is one of your shorter pieces.It is so very precise and so compact.You have packed in the right words here.There was no need to say more.I wouldn't claim that i completely understood here what you are trying to convey but i feel there is much here in between the lines and much underlying your words than seems at first.
What are colors..an illusory game of perceptions.We believe in what our senses tell our brain to believe in.Hence what are we but a helpless dice in hands of senses.Yes we do take comfort in diplomacy when we are not sure which side we should take and what would be the response to our standing by something.Conviction and passion are not always the best bet are they..a honest passionate soul is also often considered to be too blatant and completely out of track of what 'society' demands.Hence we carry the child in our heart and there it remains..veiled and hidden cause if we allowed that child to lead us then it wouldn't be very close to how we have been taught to be.Hoping my interpretation is somewhat close.A profound nugget of words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A thought provoking piece.... with a great message therein

deeply expressed and very well writteN!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

728 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 23, 2010
Last Updated on May 26, 2015
Tags: racism, prejudice, discrimination

Author

Devons
Devons

South West, United Kingdom



About
WE BREAK ACROSS THESE TRAM LINES I DRAW by Haz I draw them with lines of reflections through their steps enough space between them for your space.. more..

Writing
O Superman O Superman

A Poem by Devons



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Alice blue Alice blue

A Poem by Robin


Sleepwalk Sleepwalk

A Poem by Robin


The Uni Verse The Uni Verse

A Poem by .