Sticks and Stones

Sticks and Stones

A Poem by Devons

Black can be white
and white can be black
with a shadowy greyness
of indecision in between
Where diplomacy lies
and honesty hides
Like the child in our soul
Should be unheard
and unseen
And taught the lesson verbatim:
Sticks and stones 
May break their bones
But words will never hurt them

© 2015 Devons


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Indeed not all things are black and white and while we hide behind polictical correctness..we skirt the issues..so words don't hurt, trying telling that to the child verbally abused at school or the woman verbally attacked her partner..we should listen to what our conscious says and not follow the general opinion ..it's not always right..not sure whether this is what you are saying ....but it's what I got from it..

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very compact but contains a punch. I say, why diplomacy (rhetorical)? You are black and I am white. It is a fact. You can't hide the truth.

There are winners and losers. Also, racism exists. It reminds me of the newer cartoons where the skin color is like an olive, yellow, pink, brown.

This is just my take on it. I am not sure if that's where you were going. There are other directions you can take thia as well. Good though provoking poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderful piece- love the first couple lines as well as the little saying at the end. Nice message as well, of course. Great job.

-Coral-

Posted 13 Years Ago


the allusion you create by picking up the colours black,white and grey is reminiscent of that state of indecision when we lose the child within...our sense of wonderment,curiosity and innocence to hypocrisy.
Words indeed are more hazardous/effective than sticks and stones but we fail to realise this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TAO
If only... The message is clear enough. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this piece. It has been done exceptionally well causing the mind to think.

Posted 13 Years Ago


ah this is a profoundly moving piece. you've spoken a world of truth in a marvelously succinct manner. it's captured my imagination, and moved me..

wonderful Glyn..

Posted 13 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

730 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 23, 2010
Last Updated on May 26, 2015
Tags: racism, prejudice, discrimination

Author

Devons
Devons

South West, United Kingdom



About
WE BREAK ACROSS THESE TRAM LINES I DRAW by Haz I draw them with lines of reflections through their steps enough space between them for your space.. more..

Writing
O Superman O Superman

A Poem by Devons



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Alice blue Alice blue

A Poem by Robin


Sleepwalk Sleepwalk

A Poem by Robin


Allison Allison

A Chapter by Crowley