Compartment 114
Compartment 114
The Shadow On My Shoulder
There is an angel who sits upon my shoulder who goes by the name of Death...
May 31st Chapter 1

May 31st Chapter 1

A Chapter by Katrina May McAlpine MacKenzie

March Break...

A time when kids of all ages break out and party. Not me. Not because I'm the geeky loner, because I am, but because I'm moving.Im moving back to my home town in Texas. Its a small town that goes by the name of Wink. With a population of about nine hundred. Well, now nine hundred and two. I'm moving back with my older sister. Her name is Lily Heart. She has coal black long wavy hair. Her eyes are blue, but at the same time, a glinting silver. She was slender, you could describe her as the 'dream girl' to every guy there is. She is twenty five.

I on the other hand was different. I had short, shoulder length brunette hair in the style of a bob. My eyes are Dark chocolate brown, so dark they are almost black. My skin is normal, I wouldn't say i'm tanned, and I wouldn't say i'm pale. I was also always losting the world. My name is Kammi Brennan. I never understood why my last name was different then theirs they never really told me why, so I ignored to even bother asking. I'm currently fifteen, in about a month and half I'll be sixteen

The reason my sister and I were moving back to Texas was because my adopted parents were killed in a car crash a few weeka ago. Yeah, both Lily and I were adopted, both in the same manner, dropped off at the front door with no notice at all, shortly after we were born. Crazy. Anyway, yes, they were killed in a car crash, can never trust New York streets these days. When I was seven and my sister was about ten we moved to New York and because of our adopted parents recent death my sister thought it be best that we move away.

Why? all the youngest childhood memories were in Wink Texas why go back and un-earth them? It wasn't my decision. I had no where else to go and my sister became my legal gaurdian.

I looked out the window, we had been driving for a few days. As we drove by a sign, quickly skmming through the map in my head, three hours till we arrive. I turned to look at my sister. Her hands gripped the stering wheel carefully. She seemed at unease, like she was having second thoughts, or nervous about something she had burried in the back of her mind, and it was now slowly creeping out of the dust and darkness.

"Why go back?" I asked sudden;y breaking her pattern of thought

"Huh? oh... I dont know. I just had the feeling it would be best" She sighed glancing over to me with.

"Oh." was all I said in response, I looked out the window, resting my elbow on the edge of the door inside and my chin resting in the palm of my hand.

"I promise I'll make this birthday special" She replied trying to lighten my mood.

"Thats not even important. And no one can ever make a birthday truely special" I snapped back bitterly. The mood changed, it grew colder and harsher.

"Look I'm sorry... I know things have always been harder for you... forgive me?" I glanced over at her, though she wasn't able to look at me, she still smiled, I laughed slightly.

"I can never hate you..." I smiled back.

______________________________________________________________________________

Those three hours flew by fast and what felt like moments landed us at out new house. I had started falling asleep just before we arrived, as my sisters parking did need work the car flew foreward and back again with a jerking motion cause my face to slip of my hand and bounce back enough to give me whipflash.

"Sorry!" My sister said.

"I-its okay" I said startled.

"Come on there are a few boxes in the trunk, everything else is in house already and set up" She said as she walked to the trunk.

"Yeah... OKay" I said opening the car door to climb out.

I walked around the fron, stopping for only moments I looked down the street. A girl was standing far down, about seventeen. She had long, wavy blonde hair, a slim body and nice tan. I knew she would have blue eyes, I had seen her before, In a dream I had. About two weeks ago. I stood there, dumbfounded, remembering.

_________________________________________________________________________

It was dark, probably late at night. The room was obviously a basement. There were dimly lit candles in every spot of the room, tables, floor, everywhere, giving the room a small luminescent glow. In the center of the room was an old rounded rug, probably egyptian maybe arabian. Deffinatly old enough to of been in a kings tomb.

A person walked in. They wore a long black cloak with a dark green lining. They held a small jar, one that would hold the ashes of the deceased. The way the persons hands look, I would guess female.

She walked over too the center of the room where the rug was and placed the jar directly in the center. Then walked over too a book shelf, stopping when she stood infront of it directly in the middle. Taking her finger and gentle stroking each book and she goes along. Her face showed it wasn't her specialty, just to "sense" what was what. She went over each book again, stopping at the one directly infront of her, She pulled it out, dust swooped out and flew around. Then gently seeming to fade as she brushed it away from her face.

Next she walked over to a calender to check the date, January fourth 1984. The day my parents found my sister at their door step.

She walked back over to the rug and knelt down. She opened the book and flipped it page in flying motion. She slapped her hand down on a page immeidatly as it came. She skimmed through each word till she found what she was looking for. She placed the book beside her and removed the hood of her cloak. Just the same as the girl I saw down the road.

She closed her eyes and her face turned dull as she spoke. "Maria Smith" There was a loud clap of thunder and dashing stroke of lightning after she said this.

"You were born Jully sixth 1822 and you died December 25 1840, at the young age of eighteen" The same reaction occured after she was done speaking. "You were forced to Marry a man only two years older then you, he was abussive, One day he came home to find you hung by the neck. Everyone believed you killed yourself, when he did. I'm giving you the second chance at life" The thunder rumbled again and the flash of lightning burst brightness. To her it seemed to talk, and somewhere in the back of my head it was speaking to me, like the thunder and lighning was response to her, like it was this Maria girl talking back.

"You are no longer her." She said ternly in a commanding voice. "You will now by Lily Heart. Adopted daughter of Sean and Lisa Heart" She opened her eyes waiting for another response of thunder. She waited and then there was a faint and weak pound, as if saying "I dont know" Or "Im listening"

"In a few years you will have another adopted sister, her name will be Kammi Brennan. You are to protect her and watch over her. When the time comes you will know" The girl waited again. There was another loud clap of thunder and stroke of lightning like it was an agreement.

Then everything went completly black. The candles blew out and it was quiet. There was suddenly a ghostly glow the shined bright shades of blue It floated in the center and I could barely see anything but it. The glow started to rapidly fly around the room. Knocking over books and tables. And as it flew by each candle slowly started to re-lit. It then flew back to the center of the room. It shot down and a white heavenly blast that would blind anyone was sent. Everything was black again. And quite. The candles went out again and then in a second re-lit. The girl sat there. Like she was waiting. The room was then filled with the small cries of a young child. Only a baby.

The girl picked up the baby and wrapped her in a blanket.

"Hush now Lily Heart, you'll be alright....." And with that she left and I awoke.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Kammi! snap out of it! come on all the boxes are away!" My sister yelled. I snapped my head to the side o see her standing in the doorway. I looked back down the road. The girl was gone. I looked back at my sister who was waiting immpatiently.

"Coming!"



© 2009 Katrina May McAlpine MacKenzie


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Katrina May McAlpine MacKenzie
Tell me everything

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on September 17, 2009


Author

Katrina May McAlpine MacKenzie
Katrina May McAlpine MacKenzie

Dartmouth, Canada



About
My name is Katrina, im thirteen years old. Im from Nova Scotia Canada. Ill put more up later. more..

Writing