The Ignorance Blinding

The Ignorance Blinding

A Story by Kyro
"

Essay.

"

 

“Mankind has always feared what it doesn't understand.”  This famous line, drawn from the movie X-Men (2000), is arguably one of the most important underlying themes of the X-Men universe.  In 1963 Marvel Entertainment introduced a revolutionary new brand of superhero through the uncanny X-Men.  The X-Men were a group of mutants—the Marvel-proclaimed next step in human evolution—who possessed a special mutant gene which granted them incredible powers and abilities.  United under a common cause, the X-Men were formed to hone their skills and work as a team towards the advancement of humanity and mutantkind alike.  The X-Men series has spawned incalculable amounts of success and the overall franchise has grown significantly over the years.  Today, the X-Men have starred in a number of diverse titles including three hit movies and two animated series.  Such great success can only be attributed to the fact that the X-Men storyline enriches and enlightens the mind as it delves deep into issues closely correlating to the realities of contemporary American society.  In the world of the mutants, the humans whom the X-Men strive so hard to protect and help treat them with hatred and fear because of their differences.  These characteristics can be found in many humans in American society today.  The X-Men franchise in its entirety accurately highlights the deepest concerns of contemporary American society through its chronic displays of insurmountable human ignorance.  Prejudice, discrimination, and hatred are constantly directed at the super powered X-Men who, without a choice in the matter, were born different, yet still they opt to use their “abnormalities” for the betterment of Mankind.  

            On countless occasions the X-Men have selflessly put their lives on the line for the sake of protecting the humans who despise them.  In the movie X-Men, a villainous mutant named Magneto—who believes himself and the rest of the mutants to be superior to humans—builds a powerful machine which he uses to attempt to alter the genetic structure of all humans on Earth.  If successful, the machine would turn every human on Earth into a mutant.  The X-Men learn of Magneto’s plan and valiantly succeed in stopping him, believing that humans have the right to remain human.  This is only one of the myriad of examples, as time after time the X-Men struggle and somehow manage to barely escape with a victory.  The humans respond to the efforts of the X-Men by openly rioting against them and their kind, often resorting to violence and other crimes to get their point across.  The relationships between the timeless struggles of the X-Men and the struggles of our own citizens in society today are parallel.  Discrimination, prejudice, and hate can be found in nearly every region of America today.  People openly discriminate against others out of fear: fear of difference and deviation from the norm.  Good-hearted and well-meaning human beings are treated poorly because of they way that they were born, just like the X-Men.  One particular X-Man known as Nightcrawler was persecuted and hated significantly more than the others because of his appearance.  He strongly resembles a demon due to his mutation, and yet he is perhaps one of the most noble and faithful member of the X-Men.  What we fail to realize as humans is that underneath the shroud of differences that we see when we look at others lays a fellow human being. 

            The X-Men and their struggles for acceptance critically convey perhaps the most imperative concern of today’s society.  As the X-Men have fought to gain peace between themselves and the humans, so have a great many people fought to gain peace amongst themselves in American society.  There are those who do so much to better the world, but the ignorance of those around them causes prejudice and hatred to spread like cancer until they are no longer able to grow and improve society anymore.  In conclusion, the following quote was stated in X-Men 2 by Nightcrawler, and it serves to accurately sum up the issue of society today.  “Most people were afraid of me. But I didn't hate them. I pitied them. Do you know why? Because most people will never know anything beyond what they see with their own two eyes.”

© 2008 Kyro


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"you only delay the inevitable"

"I am as far beyond mutants, as they are beyond you."

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 28, 2008

Author

Kyro
Kyro

Pleasanton, CA



About
I'm a junior in high school that loves to write. I write mostly fiction and love the feeling that comes with creating something unique. I play sports mainly football and volleyball. more..

Writing
The Flawed Dream The Flawed Dream

A Story by Kyro


A Modest Proposal A Modest Proposal

A Story by Kyro