The Promise

The Promise

A Story by Genevieve

Remember what you said about always coming back?

Yeah
Did you mean it?
Of course
Promise?
Always
 
Tears of anger, tears of betrayal and self pity washing away the pain of knowing you’re going home to someone else’s arms. Yes, jealousy that you’re not mine…even though I am yours. Always have been, always will be. All that melted away this time. I’ve stopped fighting it. Don’t want to anymore. All I want, all I ever really wanted, was you.
 
Have I missed my chance? You’ve held out your hand with an offer before and I refused it… needed to do it on my own. Prove to myself I could. Now that I’ve done it… is this all you’re willing to give? God I’m hoping for more.
 
Beautiful. It’s the one word that comes to mind when I think of the time we spent together. Of you. So achingly beautiful. When you left the tears came again like they always do. Different this time, cleansing. Familiar and new all at once. These new tears aren’t ugly and dark like the ones that have come so many times before. I cry only because I love you and miss you beside me so much it hurts already.
 
Now that I know you’re gone…headed home… I can’t help but wonder is this it? Is this all we’ll ever be? Because I want more. Much more. More than just a few hours every few days whenever you come into town.
 
Remember what I said about my grandparents? That picture my grandfather has carried for well over fifty years? It’s so much more than that. It’s the way they still look at each other as if they’re the only two people in the room…the world even. It’s the love that’s there between them. The word that’s never once been spoken because it doesn’t need to be. It’s implied. It just is… and it’s beautiful.
 
We can have that. I think maybe we already do. It’s been more than a decade now and the feeling…it hasn’t changed.
 
Remember what you said about always coming back?
Yeah
Did you mean it?
Of course
Promise?
Always
 
It’s a promise I’m hoping you’ll keep. Always.
 

© 2008 Genevieve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this story as it said so many things and questions. You still missing him, he with someone else, you turned him down then want him back, but he is with another... and then you put the first wording into the final. Very nice...


Krystal

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008