MOTORWAYS

MOTORWAYS

A Chapter by Georgina V Solly

 

Chapter 2

MOTORWAYS

 

Briony’s thoughts as she drove along the motorway northwards, ran through all the possibilities of why Jasper had left them. Winter was to her the most adequate season of the year to be going north. After all she had been living in a continuous winter emotionally since he’d been gone. She hoped it wouldn’t snow before nightfall although the sky gave every indication that it would. What had Jasper been doing so far away up north, where the snow created a different world and a different life style? She wished to make him go back with her to the place he should never have left.

The countryside where Briony was travelling was a faded grey. Nobody was to be seen, even though once in a while a solitary farmhouse stood out against the hills. Briony’s memories gave her no comfort, as it was very hard for her to imagine what life with Jasper had been like. She was aware that the traffic travelling in the opposite direction was heavier. Briony’s head began to ache as a result of not having slept the night before. It was also partly due to the memories she wished to avoid and the concentration she used for driving. Briony wasn’t an experienced driver and she didn’t like it.

The motorway was almost empty of vehicles. On the other side of the motorway a car had crashed. The vehicle involved was totally flattened. Suddenly she saw in her mirror a car speeding along behind her. The driver was pressing his horn ceaselessly and overtaking everyone. The car was black with dark tinted windows, making sure the driver’s face wasn’t visible. As the car passed her, she had a shock, as the car went flying by and vanished over the horizon. She ached all over, and saw that the clock in the car said it was one o’clock - lunch time - but the poor daylight made everyone on the road believe it was later. The sign of a motel in one mile, offering all home comforts to travellers, was a welcome sight.


 Welcome to THE LIGHT OF THE MOTORWAY HOTEL

Rooms, Restaurant, Television, Swimming Pool, Amusement Park


Briony accepted the invitation and entered the large car park. The tense atmosphere of the motorway had changed into one of more laid-back. She went to the toilets to freshen up, and saw the violet shadows beneath her even darker eyes, and her difficult dark hair made her look like a scarecrow. Two women passed her as she walked to the restaurant.

One said, “D’you think we’ll get there tonight?”

The other, “I hope so. Nobody likes having to spend the night in Magician’s Leap.”

 

Briony went into the restaurant and ordered her meal, and as she was about to tuck into the food, she asked the waiter, “Can you tell me please, what Magician’s Leap is?”

“It’s a village where nobody wants to spend the night.”

“Why not?”

“Many years ago a magician lived in the village. The villagers said he knew how to create thunder, lightning, rain, and other telluric events.”

“That hasn’t answered my question.”

“It’s said he can make houses and villages disappear. Those powers are supposed to be stronger after dark,” the waiter explained.

“Is there any proof about what you’ve just told me?”

“They say people who pass the night there become changed emotionally.”

“Why is it called ‘Magician’s Leap’?”

“One day the magician leaped from a rock and flew.”

Briony was unable to believe everything the waiter had told her, but thanked him for the food and the chat.

 

She went outside and got into her car, and her body was no longer in pain. She felt more in charge of the situation, and not the reverse. The motorway ended after five miles, so she slowed down to be ready to get off it. The country road was not as straight as the motorway had been, but went up and down, and circumvented a tree-covered mountain. The weather forecast from the car-radio warned of temperatures going down in the night. There was very little light, it was as if the darkness had descended. The browns and greens of the countryside were not discernible - everything was almost black.

A car with its headlights on at maximum, dazzled Briony’s eyes as it passed her coming from the opposite direction. The road was taking her up. She was annoyed with herself for not having taken the trouble to check out the roads in that area before setting out. A tunnel was in front of her. It was not very long, but echoed the noise of the cars, and she preferred it to the corkscrew road she had been travelling on. Briony was worried about the village Magician’s Leap. She hadn’t seen any sign pointing to it and hoped she had passed it by. The road was now sloping downwards.

A man jumped out in front of Briony’s car making her brake suddenly.

“Are you mad, throwing yourself in front of a moving vehicle like that?” she shouted at him.

“I apologize, but my car’s broken down, and I’m anxious about getting home before nightfall.”

Briony saw that the man, who was around forty, had been trying to fix his car.

“What are you going to do with your car?” Briony asked.

“Ring for tow service to come and take it away.”

“Isn’t it risky leaving it here, it could get stolen.”

The man laughed, “No one likes stopping around here. You’re the first person to do so.”

“Get in, and I’ll take you home,” she said, opening the passenger door.

He got in beside Briony and shook her hand. “I’m Alden, and you?”

Closer up, Briony could see how good-looking he was. “I’m Briony.” And she started up the car.

“What are you doing on such an unpleasant road, and at this time of the year, and in a hard terrain?”

“My husband was in an accident and I’m on my way to visit him.”

“What was your husband doing up here?”

“I really don’t know. He abandoned us a year ago, and then all of a sudden the police informed me of the accident.”

A few cars passed by them, but generally it seemed that everyone else was indoors.

Briony asked, “Have you heard of a village called Magician’s Leap?”

Alden remained silent for a moment, “Yes, I know it. What do you know about it?”

Briony told him the waiter’s tale.

Alden laughed, “D’you believe it?”

“Well, I’ve only seen magicians on television.”

“Those aren’t magicians, they’re illusionists. Where are you going to spend the night? Have you a room booked somewhere?”

“No, but I saw a village on the map.”

Alden fell silent again, and when the first snowflakes began falling, he told her where to drive. It was a moonless night, and the clouds made the visibility worse.

From where they were travelling they were able to see cars. There was a house in front of them and a dog began barking, and throwing itself against the car. Alden opened his door, and to the dog, “Quiet Sultan. She’s a friend.” The dog was a Belgian Shepherd, and it soon quietened down.

“We’ll put the car inside the carport, switch on the headlights and you’ll see it.”

Briony parked her car inside the carport, and then saw an elderly lady standing staring at them in the doorway. Alden got out and gave the lady a big strong hug.

“This is Auntie Mati,” he said, introducing his aunt to Briony.

She shoved them inside the house, and introduced Briony to a very old man huddled in an armchair. “Alden’s brought a friend.”

All of a sudden a voice from out of nowhere, said, “I hope it’s a real woman this time, and not a china doll.”

Briony turned this way and that, but couldn’t make out where the voice was coming from. Alden and Auntie Mati were laughing.

“Come close. I want to see you better, I like playing tricks, especially on women - to see what they’re made of.”

Alden took Briony up to his grandfather, who was very small and had an incredible amount of white hair.

Mati moved the blazing wood with a poker that sent sparks up the chimney, and said, “Dad, Briony brought Alden up here because his car broke down on the road.”

“Do you feel cold?” Grandfather asked Briony.

“Yes, a bit.”

Grandfather told Briony to sit closer to the fire that was crackling away in the fireplace. Auntie Mati had prepared a thick stew of meat and vegetables.

The dinner was so good, nobody gave a thought to the bad weather outside while they were eating. The clock chimed eight o’clock.

“Alden, I’m going to ring my sons. Is there coverage up here?”

“Yes, there is.”

Michael’s mobile rang a few times before he answered. “Hello, it’s me, Mum. How are you two managing?”

“Fine. We’ve eaten what you left ready for us. Where are you? Have you seen Dad?”

“I haven’t seen him yet, but will probably see him tomorrow morning, then I’ll ring to let you know what’s going on.” Briony said, and put the mobile away.

“Are your children all right?” Alden asked.

“Yes, they’re very well, thank you.”

“My grandfather thinks you shouldn’t go to the hospital. He says it’s dangerous.”

“I have to go, especially as now I’m so near.”

“Like it or not, I’m going with you to the hospital tomorrow. My aunt has made up a bed for you in the guest room.”

“If nobody minds, I’d rather spend the night here in the warmth with the fire.”

The heat from the burning wood was comforting and Briony, who normally felt the cold, for once felt cosy and warm. Alden and Briony chatted on for a bit, and then he told Briony to change her clothes in the bathroom, as his grandfather had the reputation of spying on women.

Briony was alone in the living-room, lying on the sofa. She couldn’t hear any noises coming from outside, the falling snow muffled all that kind of sound. Alden intrigued her, till she remembered she had gone up there for one reason only, and that was to find Jasper.



© 2015 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen

Stats

74 Views
Added on October 25, 2015
Last Updated on October 25, 2015
Tags: cars, snow, motel, search


Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing