[Sargo] Chapter I: I Talk to Myself

[Sargo] Chapter I: I Talk to Myself

A Chapter by Ghostblade
"

It is Sargo's birthday and he receives a recording from someone he doesn't truly know who claims to be him and he finds out the truth about his heritage (somewhat)

"

I WAS ME, YET I WASN'T.

Every night since a week ago I dreamed of being the same person, I felt like I was me, but I also felt different. More powerful (which is ridiculous because I can best everyone at my school in anything! Kind of-).

I (he?) stood on what looked to be a cloud and breathed a sigh of relief, "Finally," I said to nobody other than myself, "the war with Kronos is over with."

"Son," a voice boomed with pride from behind me and I had to keep from jumping with the suddenness of it, and to keep a calm composure I put my hand into my jean pocket and gripped the ballpoint pen inside of it, "you did well. Good job."

I turned to face the speaker, "Thank the Gods, it's just you."

"You're welcome." the man radiated power--literally--but he kept a calm composure. His hair was long and dark, his skin was kissed by the sun itself and he looked ready for a day at the beach in his swimming shorts and colorfully decorated top filled with designs of flowers and seashells, you would never guess that he was a God or that he fell in love with a woman from New York, or that he had been alive for thousands of years--that ties into being a God, doesn't it?--Anyways, it was hard to tell much of the truth about him by guessing, luckily I didn't have to, I just knew. "Look," his voice turned serious, "we need to talk."

"Luke's alive and we need to find him?" I guessed.

Who is Luke?

My--The character's-- father shook his head, "There was no way to survive. Not. . . . not with the stunt that he pulled and Hades has confirmed it. I need to talk to you about something else."

"The offer earlier."

He nodded his head grimly, "Son--Percy--I wanted to tell you that if you ever change your mind--"

Before he can finish, I cut him off, "It's always an option. I know, thanks but. . . I can't bring myself to leave behind Annabeth or Grover or anyone for that matter. Especially not after all that we have been through together."

"I know," his voice was soft, "you're scared of abandoning them when they die if you're a god, but trust me on this. You will be separated from them anyways."

"If we plan things out, it will work. I know it."

"Percy."

"If neither of us tries for--"

"Percy!"

I began to stammer, "Th-then we can--"

"PERCY!" the man's voice boomed, the entire cloud likely heard it. That definitely got my attention.

I stayed silent and he spoke.

"You may not agree on what to do. Or what if you agree but wish to go to the Isles of the Blest? You may be separated regardless. Born at different times, different parts of the world."

"We'll settle for Elysium."

"You know Annabeth. She will want to see Luke again. She's an overachiever regardless."

"I know," my voice was quiet, timid, "Maybe. . . we won't be separated."

"It's bound to happen, save yourself the stress."

"Ask me in three lives."

"What?"

"After I complete three lives, as me then. If you turn out to be right, no matter which decision I make--whether or not to be a God--if you turn out to be right, you'll be able to gloat about it for the rest of eternity because you'd be able to see me any time that you would like. So, do we have a deal?"

Suddenly the ground below the sea god was very interesting, which was not something one would expect of him considering the ground was in the sky and most times, he loathed his brother Zeus, the lord of it, "I suppose we have a deal. But you are certain that you wish this, correct? It may come back to bite you in the vare'li one day."

"As positive as a proton," I grinned at my own simile, maybe I did learn some things in school after all, "Now, we need a way so you can keep track of me since I know that I won't remember this after I am forced to bathe in the River Lethe by Hades. That sparks an idea. . . nevermind, it wouldn't work. . . unless--I'll think about it later."

"The best way would be a birthmark but there is no way to guarantee what it would be or that you would get one. The only way to ensure that you would is a substantial inju-" he paused mid-word, "What are you doing?"

Honestly, I had no idea. Before either of us knew it I had hold of his weapon, a Trident if I remembered correctly, lifted the back of my orange T-shirt, and dug the weapon into my back, it hurt worse than anything I had felt before, "Is stealing a god's ancient weapon and harming yourself substantial enough for the lord of the dead or do I have to try harder?"

"I don't see why not," he replied and I handed him back the weapon, "Are you alright?"

"Pfft, alright?" I grinned, "Considering we just won a war against Kronos, I just dug a trident into my back and watched many people I care for die? I doubt I'll feel much better in this life than I do now because the preview is saying it will be hectic and all Hades will break loose someday. Now, can you do me a favor? I thought of something and--if I can achieve this, I may need some help."

"It depends."

I woke up in a cold sweat, I don't know why, though. Maybe it was the pain crawling down my back from where Percy decided to drag the Trident along my back, the same place my birthmark happens to be. Perhaps it's the fact that the fact Percy made a mark on himself in the same way my birthmark happens to be and he was even talking about how it will hopefully leave a mark. Sure, it was a dream and I'm a dreamer but. . . What are the chances I'd dream about that? Pretty slim, probably. Not to mention the favor, what could that have been?

I glanced over at the alarm clock on my bedside table, 6:07 A.M. was written in bold white numbers with a bright light that shone defiantly.

It's earlier than when I would normally get up but I decided to prepare for the day. I didn't need to think about it anymore. Not today, not when I'm turning twelve. I have the rest of eternity to think about it. Today will be iconic and a great day to remember, I won't think back on the day as a day I had a dreaded day while thinking about Percy Jackson, a boy that I haven't ever met. I refuse.

I made my way downstairs and smiled at my mom as she greeted me, "Good morning, birthday boy," she flipped a pancake with the familiar scent of blueberries filling the air, "How did you sleep hun?"

"I slept well," I lied, "I dreamt about the same guy again though. The name Annabeth came back, I guess he's Percy's friend, and then a new guy who wore Bermuda shorts and a matching top who was Percy's dad. The was also mention of a new guy named Luke, he didn't show up yet though." I didn't tell her about what Percy and the man spoke about or the Trident incident. She'd find that weirder than I did, and it was really weird to me.

"I guess he was right, today would be the day it would be necessary."

"What is necessary?"

"Everything will be explained later when you open your gifts but I have a feeling you'll understand once they're opened."

"I-I don't understand."

"Don't worry, you will soon. Just wait until Ryan's back and your sister is off work, okay?"

"Alright. . ." I muttered. Mom gave me my breakfast, blueberry pancakes, sausage, and eggs, all drowned in blueberry syrup (all the courtesy of my mother, except the syrup). We made some small talk but for the most part, we ate breakfast in silence.

My stepfather, Ryan, got home just after one O'clock. Mom acted as though everything was normal even if it didn't seem like it and she got on call with my sister, Veronica. She's off at college and has been for the last two years so we do this to include her in various matters, including birthdays. Sometimes, she was able to answer, other times she wasn't Since my birthday happened to land on a weekend today, she didn't have the excuse of her classes and she was able to join us for this momentous occasion.

There were four boxes, all labeled as from someone different: Mom, Ryan, Veronica, and. . . .Dad (Somewhat). The tag said somewhat. Was it because he couldn't consider himself my dad because I'd never met him before? Was it not only from him and he just couldn't be bothered to write the other name? Was there some other reason he put that? I couldn't be sure, but I had a horrifying, sneaking suspicion he was related to Percy in some way. I could feel it.

Mom must have noticed my confusion, "You should open the one from him last. After all, I can imagine it's probably alarming I even talk to your father still, but it's only about simple things. Typical parental stuff."

"Sure thing," I smiled. I had forgotten how awkward birthdays could be, even without a present from your absent father.

From my mom I got a phone and an SD card, Ryan got me a $35.00 VISA gift card and a silver-colored bracelet that looked like double helixes that eventually formed a circle, Veronica sent over a flute, some sheet music, and a black and white backpack; it was one of those small ones you got from HotTopic but the space inside looked like it could go on forever. I didn't dare test it, though. It was impossible yet I felt an immense fear telling me I probably shouldn't try.

I smiled at Mom, Ryan, and the screen Veronica was trapped in, "Thank you all so much!" I slipped the bracelet onto my left wrist, and the little gems gleamed in the light of the nearby lamp, "I love all of it!"

"I'm glad," Ryan said.

"As am I," said Mom, "So, what's in the last box?"

"Don't know yet," I grinned, "I'll tell you when I do though."

I opened it carefully since I have never met him, this box was my first interaction with him. What did he think I would like? I almost decided not to look. Almost,

Inside was an orange T-Shirt, it had bold black text on it saying CAMP HALF-BOOD LONG ISLAND SOUND and a picture of a Pegasus on it, also in black. There was also a ballpoint pen and a plane ticket to JFK (John F. Kennedy) Airport in New York City.

"We're going to New York?" I asked, my heart was racing. Veronica lived in New York City currently, "We get to see Veronica in person?" Wait--the ticket was from my dad. Maybe he lived in New York City as well!

"Yes, you will get to see me," Veronica spoke for the first time, "but this is also a way for you to understand your--our--roots. Anyways, go pack, the plane leaves at five and since you're in Ohio you'll have to be stuck in a plane for nearly two hours."

"Okay, I love you guys! I'll be back down soon." I rushed towards my room and got packed, I put the SD card into my phone and set it up, and shoved all of my gifts into a suitcase as well as some extra clothes and essential toiletries. 2:34 is what my alarm read when I finished packing. I was about to head downstairs but I overheard my mom talking to Ryan.

"I'm worried about him," I heard her muffled voice say.

"He'll be fine," he reassured her, "He'll get along with them, I'm sure of it."

I shut the door, I didn't need to hear them talking to me. Suddenly, my phone forced itself into the gallery. One-hundred-forty-two videos were waiting to be watched. Some lasted hours, others not as long. The longest was five hours long, the shortest was three seconds. The thumbnail for every video was pitch black. I scrolled all the way down and clicked the first one.

"Hello! Happy birthday, Sargo!" a friendly voice greeted, "Assuming this video gets to you right on time you turn twelve today, I remember when I turned twelve. It's when all of. . . this. . . started happening. I'm certain you'll know what I mean later on. I don't know what your birth date is, but the time I'm recording this I recently turned seventeen. Insane, isn't it?

"In all truth, I don't know what to address you as, brother, Sargo, me. It's difficult to decide, yet again when you have a life like this, it's hard to make certain choices. Like: Die or jump off this cliff and die to a monster below instead! The second option, please!

"You see, you and I are a race called Demigods, otherwise known as Half-bloods. We're born of mortals and Gods, most times we die young but those of us who are lucky live until nineteen. That's the longest I've seen a demigod live. Anyways, there's a mostly safe place called Camp Half-Blood. You'll meet Chiron and maybe even Mr. D, depending if his time is up there or not. It's hard to say.

"Speaking of which, soon your life will be turned upside down, inside out, then knotted. Danger is coming, it always has been but this time it's nearer than ever. Normality will be thrown out the window and it will be the spider in that one nursery rhyme, The Itsy Bitsy Spider." A scream was heard, I couldn't make out the words but I could imagine them SPIDER? WHERE?

"One last thing, keep that pen safe because it will return the favor. I've heard the saying, 'The pen is mightier than the sword' but that saying is dead wrong. A magic pen that can turn into a sword is WAY more deadly than either, trust me on that. Ol' Anaklusmos has gotten me out of more pickles than I like to admit. The name translates to Riptide. Also, when you get to camp, make sure to wear your new orange Tee, it's mandatory and you don't want to get eaten by harpies or get turned into dolphins. I know, this is all terrifying but you'll get used to it. You have to. For survival's sake"

A bell began to ring in the distance and the boy dropped whatever he was using to record but caught it before it could show anything but a small patch of grass.

"That's the bell for lunch so I have to go now. Grover would kill me if I caused him to be late, and that's very threatening considering; he adores all life and believes we should not be the ones to end them. May Tyche be in your favor; I'll record again soon. Bu-bye!"

The video ended.

"That was certainly--interesting," I told myself. I grabbed the pen, Anaklusmos, "Well, Riptide, I suppose it's just you, me, and whoever Tyche may be." I put it in my pocket, based on what he said, I didn't want to sever from the magical object.

I grabbed my stuffed panda and shoved him into the suitcase as well, I decided I'd probably be on some crazy adventures based on what the video said, and I had the feeling I would need the emotional support.

At last, I was ready.

I made my way downstairs with my suitcase, ready for the adventures to come.



© 2023 Ghostblade


Author's Note

Ghostblade
The dream took place after the celebration of winning the battle of manhattan by the way, in case it wasn't obvious

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on August 19, 2023
Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Tags: PJO, HOO, Heroes of Olympus, Percy Jackson, Oc, Ouranos, Titan, mythology, Trials of Apollo, ToA, Sargo, Annabeth, Grover, greek, roman, Nasoj, adventure, fiction, fanfiction, fantasy, new york city


Author

Ghostblade
Ghostblade

Lancaster, OH



About
I am attending a local career center and taking their interactive media course in the hopes I could be either an animator, author, or scriptwriter, as the lesson deals with all three. This account is.. more..

Writing