6

6

A Chapter by Bob

“That sounds like a plan Johnny, not a well thought out plan but a plan nonetheless.”                  “Did I just hear James Floyd ask for a well thought out and researched plan?” They laughed together and Jim got up to leave. John stood outside his door watching Jim leave knowing that he just put the ball in motion, there was no turning back now. The situation wasn’t as dire as it sounds. John had scraped by this semester due to unforeseen circumstances but somehow this too was the semester that he had gained the most knowledge he ever had. It was summer holiday and after some convincing (the voice was very persuasive when it wanted to be) he decided to leave. Where he would end up no one knew but the journey was what he was after. Everything you have to learn and everything about life, love, the world, all of it cannot be learnt, read or experienced through literature. “We’re living life through someone else’s eyes bud and I for one am not a big fan.”  , that was his closing statement and John couldn’t help but agree. One major thing John and Jim had in common was that they didn’t plan too far into the future and most times they didn’t plan at all. Therefore, the plan for this venture was that everything would work itself out on the road. They just needed the cash, there first destination and just like that all would be right. In the meantime, John kept reading, watching documentaries, interviewing people that had interesting things for him to know. He did voluntary work at the clinic, he did an internship at Bryan’s garage and waited tables at the Diner. “All that work and this is all we get. You really aren’t a people person Johnny; most of your customers stiffed you.” the pay wasn’t good but John wasn’t there only for the money. He had other ways of making money and as summer holiday drew to a close he knew he had to resort to those methods. There wasn’t a time limit on when he had to leave but he wanted to do it in the holiday. The great beyond would be much more fun if everyone was in silly season mode. Jim had been around the block quite a long time. He’d been the carefree character all his life and if John were to need someone’s help the best person to go to would be his best bud Jim. He sent Jim out to help him complete phase one of plan ‘go where no man has gone before’ (the voice may have been sarcastic when he suggested the name).

 

Let’s say one gains the ability to communicate with one’s subconscious mind and through that gained higher mental capabilities too, you wouldn’t really see yourself working nine to five so you can make money to do something in the next couple years. So the first thing that pops into your mind when brainstorming quick and easy ways to make money would be gambling and running scams, it may not always be legal, honest, ethical but hell you were blessed so why let that gift go to waste even if it is for no one else’s benefit but yours. The night chill was biting into his neck and John stepped up the pace urging Jim to follow. They arrived at an inconspicuous looking apartment complex and the two stood across the road looking at it, hearts beating faster and faster. For the first in what seemed like forever both Jim and John didn’t take their usual ‘anxiety medication’ before doing something like this. They walked inside and everything seemed simple. The place was empty and looked nice, not your typical motel scene. They got into the elevator and headed for the third floor finally, they spotted someone standing outside an apartment.                                                     “That must be the room we’re looking for,” said John                                               “Yeah I don’t think this place offers large muscular bodyguards to all their guests” Jim replied and with that they approached the bouncer, “Charlie’s expecting us, you can tell him it’s Jim” after looking them over the bouncer opened the door and moved aside gesturing them inside.                “So much money to be made bud look at all of this” the voice sounded so eager because all around the apartment things were happening. The apartment was large and had a lot of open space, which the men that were occupying seemed to make good use of it. There was a wet bar and a man mixing drinks, other men sitting by some tables some circular others shaped like blackjack tables which they probably were. There was a section separate from the other with a table covered in boxes, stacked on top of one another about 11 boxes wide and 11 high, the horizontal one’s were marked A and the vertical B John later found out that this was game was called pool square. They walked toward a couch and John was introduced to the man watching T.V.                               “Hey Charlie this is my friend John”, Charlie nodded John’s way and he nodded back                                “So Jimmy tells me you can take these fellas for all they own.” Charlie said to John with a smile but clearly, it wasn’t all giggles. Jim already told him they would be suspicious of him for obvious reason. One reason being his age and another would be where he had acquired enough money to buy into their game.                                                       “Piece of cake” John smiled innocently and Charlie was convinced, at least for now. This was more like a casino than the underground gambling ring, at least the way John imagined an illegal gambling ring to be. There were other games besides pool square and they had only practised for two of the games there so John sat down at the green felt table that held the Blackjack game.                                  The dealer threw out a three, “+1” John said (Not aloud)                                             “Yeah Johnny I can see”                                                                       “Just do your job and speak only when you need to besides they’ve got like four decks here not to mention the thousand other things we need to do in between.”                                                   “Why’re you tense bud.”                                                      “Your constant talking usually amuses me but this is so not the time, also don’t forget to divide by four okay” The voice just laughed in response and the two kept counting.                                                     The game went on like that and occasionally John would crack wise and make a joke. All of the guys at the table and the one’s standing around had constant drinks handed to them and the tense mood that had started the game dissolved into a lively occasion. John did the on-site jobs, the one’s that could be seen on the surface which included the talking and changing bets according to the calculations the voice said. It worked well for them, not that they were winning every hand and had piles of chips but well enough that they could see themselves leaving with a substantial amount. Charlie came over and after standing on the side watching he started laughing, “I see why you hang out with this kid Jimmy, he sure is smart.”                                                                 “I attract a specific kind of people man.”                                             “He’s on to us Johnny”, He sighed, “And just when it was getting good.”                          John broke all the laughter, “This has been a blast so far but I sure could use a smoke.”                               “I see the specific kind of people you attract Jim” Charlie said looking at John “You boys mind smoking that outside? Never been a fan you know.”

 

John blew heaps of smoke from his lungs with plenty of encouragement, “That’s more like it Johnny.”                                                                                     “That was really awesome man; I couldn’t even follow all of it.” Jim said as enthusiastically as he could, which was not much                                                      “You tried counting with me?” asked John                          “Yeah when you explained it, I got it so I figured I’d try. Lost it after about half an hour”                 John stretched his legs, “It didn’t feel that long but how long where we playing?”                     “A very long time man, Anyway you gonna keep this up?”                                                       “No can do Jimbo. Charlie knows.”                                                      “So that’s what all the smart talk was about but how’d he figure you out man?”  “His crew may be door stumps but he seems to know a thing or two. I’m not sure but I think it’s the fluctuation. It’s my betting variation Jim, that’s the only thing I can think of.”         “I see, so do we bail?”                            “You chicken?”                                          Jim laughed, “I’m only concerned for your safety Johnny. What you did may not have been illegal but this isn’t really a legal and respectable establishment man.”                                        “I get it but let’s just see what happens. If it goes south then we bail but right now Jimmy it’s time for you to become a ghost”                                                                    “Spooking” Jim asked, “Sure let’s do it”        

They walked back inside and at the Blackjack table a new game was underway, “You in Johnny?” asked Charlie.                                           “With these bozos no thanks, I’m starting to feel bad to taking all their money.”Answered John              The room erupted, “This kid is something else” said Charlie and sat down in the couch not too far away.                           “Think I’m gonna try my hand at some poker” John said smiling at Jim                               “Be my guest, might not be as easy as Blackjack.” Charlie waved them away as he continued to watch T.V.          

“This fatso is not serious, look at him Johnny what idiot can’t see his tell?” John smiled as the voice’s astute observation amused him. There were five people at the table but they were only playing against two. The drunk across John was sitting in front of a mirror discreetly placed up against the counter behind him; Jim was passing on signals from Terry’s hand. Terry was drunk enough to keep showing his hand to Jim and Jim was kind enough to pass that information on to John. They started the game with six players but after Jim completed his job, he left to focus on project Terry. Then lastly, there was the fatso John didn’t know his name but boy was he an idiot, he didn’t have any of the skills required to be an even average poker player but here he was playing high stakes poker. The other two at the table John was playing against was there for the exact same reason he was.        “You better watch our competition bud”                                                                  “Yeah I already saw them palm away some of the winnings when they pushed the pot”                         “Do we out them?”                                        “Nah they seem like amateurs”                         “Cause we’re professionals”                                                “No I meant they only know petty hustler tricks and they know theses idiots are a sure thing, so let’s ride it out a little more”                       The game went on uneventful for most but the three conmen had a different story. John was right about them as he ended up with a little more money than he did in Blackjack. He didn’t have to stack the deck, mark the cards, peek or use any of the other tricks at their disposal.                “Too much liquor and cards don’t mix boys” Charlie said when he saw John get up with his winnings, “You’re a smart and very lucky kid” was his parting words to John as they left.



© 2013 Bob


Author's Note

Bob
Please excuse the layout and thank you for reading. Any notes would be greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
Added on November 4, 2013
Last Updated on November 4, 2013

The Mind Is A Powerful Thing

1

By Bob

2

By Bob

3

By Bob

4

By Bob

5

By Bob

6

By Bob

7

By Bob

8

By Bob

9

By Bob

10

By Bob

11

By Bob

12

By Bob

13

By Bob

14

By Bob

15

By Bob

16

By Bob

17

By Bob

18

By Bob

19

By Bob

20

By Bob


Author

Bob
Bob

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa



Writing
One Of Us One Of Us

A Poem by Bob