Gallery Quality Love

Gallery Quality Love

A Poem by Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

what is love

if not an unfinished line

a participle dangling her feet in the water  

a noun searching for his lost adjective

a tree without the tall?

 

it is a secret

half filled by illusory hope

left to idle between the white lines

of a street with too many dull lights

too many signs yelling stop

 

i can’t shake the feeling

that my shades are always half drawn

because too much sunlight

would ruin this romance

 

we are better like this

lost in the disorder of not knowing

because the alternative would jar us

into a sharp realization that life mimics art 

 

and maybe our art 

just isn’t gallery quality

© 2013 Girl Friday (Sarah W.)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh there are so many lines, that are so brilliant in this one Sarah, great metaphorical insight, and creativity. This write tells me, it's about love, and love that is too late, or not worth it to hang as beautiful in this gallery, but maybe better, because, all that hangs there, isn't private... and sometimes, a silence between two, can make things much better... again a write that makes you think, and ponder, loved reading it.

- Elisa

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

Elisa, you are always such a kind and consistent reviewer. I appreciate you so much :)

10 Years Ago

You're ever so welcome, I appreciate you too my dear friend, keep on writing to us, and yourself, we.. read more



Reviews

Love is such a curious thing. It hurts sometimes, it makes u snappy sometimes. It provides us a journey that we never thought possible especially when we think we have found the one. Everybody's idea of love is different and the perceptions are vast. Like a viewing art really:)

Regards
Troy

Posted 10 Years Ago


I prefer guerilla art, where the exhibition is part of life rather than being locked away between white walled obscurity. Some galleries cater to the fine while others the absurd and then the more low-brow and gauche too, but who is it that differentiates between the merits of one piece of art over another? Only those lacking the reflective qualities of art in their own life I would bet. When you deprive yourself from the sun, it is like denying art to the world. True art needs no gallery to show its quality. You could write this poem in the sky and your mastery of the language of emotion and uses of metaphor and simile would be no less spectacular than they are here at the Writer's Cafe.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wonderfully described feelings of the incomplete love.
but to find love that completes you is just the opposite.

I would like to see you write a poem describing just that. opposite pages in the same book?
How cool would that be?

I Enjoy reading your writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


The closing was my favorite part:

and maybe our art

just isn’t gallery quality

Well that could be left open to interpretation. The definition of love...and the perception of it..."is found within the eyes of the beholder" some of us might have low expectations...some of us may have standards on love that are set too high. Loved your metaphors.





Posted 10 Years Ago


"A participle dangling her feet in the water." That line alone is enough to justify this whole poem. Outstanding.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The English teacher in me is dancing at your opening metaphor - a participle dangling her feet in the water - is love something misplaced, put into position so that it "sort of" makes sense? Love, like art, is up for interpretation... Love this piece, Sarah.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Rita...I truly appreciate that you appreciated this one!
As always your use of metaphor is amazing...as is your talent. There are so many lines that I can relate to - so many lines worth remembering. I'm putting this one in the library to read again and again.

:) Julie

Posted 10 Years Ago


I can't help but fall in love with this piece, Sarah...you captivate the heart, with a such melancholy tone...

So beautiful, it's almost unbearable... "Love"...

I understand, keeping the shades half drawn.... ~xoxo~

Excellent write!


Posted 10 Years Ago


Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

You are so kind, my friend!
That last line is such a stark postulation, Sarah. I tried cutting my own hair once but it turned out... well, let's just say it wasn't "gallery quality." So, I took your strategy to heart and kept the shades half drawn because a glimpse of my work would have ruined any possible chance for romance. No, I did not prance in the sunlight but I hope to soon. Perhaps I will find that lost adjective as I dangle my feet in the water and search for a way to complete that unfinished line. Do you think love would help?

100 deftly positioned gallery lights


Posted 10 Years Ago


Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

I think love always helps :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3780 Views
84 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on December 13, 2013
Last Updated on December 13, 2013

Author

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

The Beach, CA



About
"She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." - Charles Bukowski A NOTE TO MY FRIENDS: Thank you, everyone, who has supported me so kindly on this site. I am humbled by your kind revie.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dear Lucifer Dear Lucifer

A Poem by Muse