Preface

Preface

A Chapter by M. Stankavich
"

A little background knowledge.

"

    Marisa had lived in an orphanage for as long as she could remember. She had two days until she reached her 18th birthday, and that was a year older than the limit at this place. She rummaged around her little section of the room she shared with, maybe, 14 other people. She was looking for a small golden locket, the only thing she actually owned. Once she'd found it, Marisa walked over to her friend Jamie and whispered.

     

     "Jamie. . ."

     

     Jamie rolled over in her bed and rubbed her eyes lightly. She brushed a few strands of red hair off her face, opened her big, green eyes . . . and looked at Marisa.

     

      "What is it? . . . Do you even know what time it is?"

    

      "Yes. Well. . . I know it's late anyway. We're leaving."

    

      Jamie widened her eyes and climbed out of bed. Was she really getting out of here? Was this really part of the plan? She knew what would happen if they were caught... and she knew it all too well. Jamie, herself, had tried to leave before. Every time she'd tried, she was caught and, sometimes, beaten. Needless to say, she didn't want her best friend to go through those things.

     

     "But I've still got three years left." She added softly. "Are you sure you want me to go too?"

     

     "Just because you have three years left, you expect me to leave you here?"

   

     "Well. . ."

     

     "No. No counter arguments, Jamie. All we need is your inhaler."

    

         Jamie nodded silently. Marisa looked out the window and took in the sight of rundown buildings for a little while. This was all she'd ever known. A life in the cold, dreary slums of Namior, how exciting . . . The part of the city where the nicest house was the one with a half burned side, bars on the windows, and a broken door that rested on a mold infested porch. The part of Namoir where nobody could afford to have any sort of insurance on anything . . . the part where you learned the hard way what survival of the fittest was.  

     

        After a few moments, Marisa turned back to Jamie and smiled brightly at her. They were both ready to go, even if they weren't sure where they'd go.

    

      "Well, let's get going."

   

       "Okay, Risa."



© 2012 M. Stankavich


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Interesting! I liked it, actually. It caught my attention from the first few words, and then it kept my attention! I really liked it, and I can't wait until you write more! I hope you write more, anyways. This would be a great story. It reminds me a bit of an author, which is always a good thing. :) It's very unique, though. Good job! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

M. Stankavich

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much! It's always good to hear things like this. (Well. . . read them that is :D ) I .. read more



Reviews

So far this is quite interesting. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter. Keep it up. Great job. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting! I liked it, actually. It caught my attention from the first few words, and then it kept my attention! I really liked it, and I can't wait until you write more! I hope you write more, anyways. This would be a great story. It reminds me a bit of an author, which is always a good thing. :) It's very unique, though. Good job! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

M. Stankavich

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much! It's always good to hear things like this. (Well. . . read them that is :D ) I .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2012
Last Updated on July 12, 2012
Tags: Saving Marisa