Chapter 1 scene 1 Prologue (A good night's heist)

Chapter 1 scene 1 Prologue (A good night's heist)

A Chapter by Glazier
"

After a night of thieving and lizard racing, Garret stumbles on to a murder scene which then marks him for death by the assassins guild.

"

 

This was the spoils of tonight’s heist, this would keep the wolf from the door for now, but between the entry fees for the giant armoured lizard racing and the need for a well stocked larder (not to mention the fact that he had some minor debts that he had to pay) he knew he would no doubt need more money soon (after all he still had his debts to still pay).

 

 

 

As Garret slipped in through his open window, he closed the shutters behind him and moved to stand next a rectangular table the lay next to the bed and was out of view from the now shuttered window to the left hand wall of the room. Pulling out a rod of metal from his pants from right pocket and picking up the steel dagger he had lying on the wooden table, he struck the blade of the knife to the metal rod held within his right and sending a shower of sparks into the air above the table and right into an open oil lamp.

    

     As the liquid within  lit up, casting a strong glow to the darkened room within, Garret placed atop the bowl shaped oil lamp a lid (the two centimeter wide and tall openings to the four faces of the pot shaped lamp allowing both air to enter and light to escape allowing the flames from within to breath and bath the room in a good glow) gave light to an otherwise dark room.

    

     Unslinging from his right shoulder his satchel, he placed it upon the table and started to pull from within the bag his ill-gotten treasure from tonight's heist. The first item he pulled out was a solid gold candled stick that was shaped with three prongs to hold three different candles. The next item was a small pouch containing some twenty-five Scares' within (Scare's being the locale gold currency for the realm of Broden). The next it was a foot long by foot wide gold clad jewelry box with seven gold rings' and three opals held within it, and the last it was a necklace made of what seemed to be the purest and finest silver, the round rims of every silver bead being outlined in gold of equal beauty.

    

     This haul would get Garret a good price (with the connections of his good and old friend Sam). This income of money would keep the wolf from the door for a while (though in actuality he knew that with the few debts that he had it would seen him out for another run in just a few day from now). Garret knew that if he could win this next upcoming giant armoured lizard race than he could pay off his debts in no time at all, and the owners of said goods would scarcely know that they where missing (they certainly wouldn't be unable to buy replacements due to lack of currency flowing though their pockets).

    

    As Garret tipped the front facing side of the jewelry box on an angle to face him, he noticed the crest of the Leemun family etched upon the lower mid-point of the front facing moulding. "This might be a problem" thought Garret as he traced with the thumb of his left hand the etching of the crest. It was of the a Unicorn's head facing to its right and it was etched over top of the image of a shield that was pointed at its bottom end. Not matter, with Sam's connection he Garret could easily have the image removed (at his own expense of course) before its being sold on the black market or the item could just be sold somewhere far from here, at any rate the owner probably not even notice that it was missing (not for awhile at least since where he found it was deep in a closet under a lot of old and discarded clothing).
     
     As Garret proceeded to place everything back within the satchel from whence they came, he thought how it was for him now that they would be sold (with a bit of the profits going to Sam for Sam's own cut of the deal) and that this would help out the two of them for a little while to come. Having put everything back into the satchel, Garret merely extinguished the flames of the oil lamp and started for his bedroom door to head down stairs to get ready for the upcoming racing for tonight. Once down stairs he would let Sam know of what kind of haul the he had gained, just where it was for him to find it, and then for Garret to find out just what it was worth for sale. As he reached his closed locked bedroom door, garrit merely unlocked from his side, opened the door, stepped through and closed and locked it from the other side with his thick iron key. Now was a time for him to make some money and worry about his debts later.



© 2011 Glazier


Author's Note

Glazier
Please tell me what you think. I would like to know if people like this story or not. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on July 27, 2011
Last Updated on July 27, 2011
Tags: Fantasy, magic, intrigue


Author

Glazier
Glazier

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
Hi, may Name is Geogre Glazier and I'm 34. I haven't had much time to be online on Writerscafe for the past while because I've gotten back to my writing. I'm still trying to finish off a book I've bee.. more..

Writing