Planetary Destruction

Planetary Destruction

A Story by GodzillaGirl101
"

Hitting on a few (but not all) of the ways human beings destroy the environment

"

Planetary Destruction


Planet Earth has been in existence for nearly 4.5 billion years. And during those years of existence, life and matter has been changing and evolving vastly, including new species and new lifestyles. Ever since even before the Industrial Revolution which began in the 1780s, humankind has been greatly irresponsible and insensitive to the delicate life systems around them, as is evident in our behavior.

In the 18th century, whaling and sealing became very popular, and overfishing resulted in a severe decline in marine life populations. In Santa Catalina, California, in 1902, almost five tons of albacore were captured, which meant 500 pounds per fisherman. It’s a wonder the population was able to recuperate after such careless abuse. Yes, overfishing was, and unfortunately still is, in some cases, a major issue. Thankfully, red salmon are protected under stringent laws which do not allow fishers to interrupt their breeding cycles or capture a large number of them. There are other paramount problems that continue to plague our planet nowadays, such as polluted air.

Air pollution is almost an accepted thing today. Look over the skyline of Los Angeles, and you’re sure to see a nasty brown haze hanging thickly above the bustling city. According to a 2009 study, around “60 percent of Americans live in areas where air pollution has reached unhealthy levels that can make people sick.” Thankfully, the government has taken some precautions regarding air quality and emission control, such as the Clean Air Acts, those which greatly strengthened the regulation of air pollution. Smog, as the name is given to the byproduct of machines, is composed of elements such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, and sulfur dioxide, all substances that are toxic to the human lungs. Therefore, restricting the operation of vehicles and other carbon-emitting machines, especially reducing the production of factories, should result in significantly improved air quality. Smog is not only toxic to humans and animals, but it also takes it toll on vegetation and other plant life as well. The toxins in the air mingle with condensation and precipitate upon our crops and the forests as acid rain, poisoning the plants and depriving them of the life-supplementing water their fibrous bodies demand. There are still more negative impacts that we humans have on our environment.

The garbage crunch. We humans produce more garbage and junk than we do actual product. Every year, it is estimated that 710 billion pounds of hazardous waste and 3.7 trillion pounds of regular litter is tossed every year. This is terrible for the world and the innocent animals that inhabit it. Birds can choke on small pieces of litter, and garbage can lure wild creatures onto highways and busy roads where they can be struck by oncoming traffic and killed. When garbage floats into the ocean, clear plastic can lure sea turtles to it while they mistake it for jellyfish, a favored delicacy of theirs. After ingesting the plastic, it blocks their alimentary canal and results in killing them. Littering is certainly a victimless crime, and there are laws against it too. So do refrain from doing so no matter what, because littering does claim lives.

Finally we get to discuss yet another principal issue derived from the negligent attitude of mankind.

Water.

The sole substance for all existence on planet Earth, and yet, every day, American citizens allow 7 billion gallons of the vital nutrient to swirl away down the drain. The water supply on Earth is not an infinite amount, and yet we waste a mind-boggling amount of it constantly. In order to preserve the world’s water supply, and continue allowing the increasing population to drink their fill, we’ll need to handle the stuff responsibly. Never, EVER dump hazardous waste such as motor oil or paint thinner, into a water body. This destroys the fragile ecosystems in the water and poisons it, making it not only uninhabitable for marine and plant life, but deadly to consume. Turn off the water when you stop to brush your teeth, and try not to take extremely long showers.

The Earth belongs to every person living here, and nature deserves to be treated with tender care and respect. After all, it is where our children will grow up someday. Earth is not invincible, and is highly susceptible to damage. If enough people get involved in protecting the planet, perhaps one day, pollution will be abolished and planetary destruction put to an end.

The choice is yours. Protect the Earth and live healthily, enjoying nature all around you, or a more bitter life.

Make the wise decision. :)

-Alyssa Mitchell, Grade 8





© 2016 GodzillaGirl101


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on April 26, 2016
Last Updated on April 26, 2016

Author

GodzillaGirl101
GodzillaGirl101

WA



About
Godzilla is my guy. Mothra is my gal. And writing is my thing I love to do anytime! I am Godzilla's #1 fan, hit me up about the King of the Monsters at my email [email protected] and check out my .. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by GodzillaGirl101