Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Steven Goodykoontz

Crime was up in Marion, Indiana despite the birth of Heroes’ Creed.  The heroes were well trained, however the threat was growing.  There have been rumors of an outside force setting up cells in the city to combat this force.  Though the small army is only for Grant County, it seems that someone has taken notice and is fearful that this could get out of hand.  However, there are other rumors that there are other groups of super heroes that are beginning to follow the module of the Heroes’ Creed. 

One night however, there was a stirring in the bushes around the house of a very prominent politician named Gary Dalton who also attended Bethel Worship Center.  He was also the father of Nathan Dalton.  Two figures snuck out of the bushes and made their way toward the side of the house.  One figure had a very strange talent of creating bombs from parts of her body.  A lump went up her forearm and appeared in her hand.  She planted it in a small hole in the foundation.  She set the timer for two minutes and the two figures ran off back to a van parked at the church parking lot a block away.  The two figures jumped in and sped off.

Inside the house were Gary Dalton and his wife were watching television.  They looked at each other and smiled.  Gary got up and went to the kitchen and came back with two glasses of water.  He gave his wife a glass and he sat down and began to sip his.

Gary smiled and opened his mouth to say something, however in a sudden instant; the bomb went off blowing a big hole in the house and breaking a good portion of the foundation.  The couple was stunned.  They looked at each other in horror just as the house caved in and killed them both.

Nathan Dalton, also known as Titan lived across the street and heard the explosion.  He ran out of his house followed by his wife and he saw in horror his parent’s house caved in.  He powered up and ran across the street and began to throw large pieces of rubble off his parents only to find out that they were dead.

He fell backwards and went into a fetal position and began to cry and scream.  His wife came to him and comforted him.  The pain for them both was almost unbearable.  Nathan looked up at the rubble and the bodies of his parents and had rage surge through his mind and body.  Just then, a thought came through his mind, Heroes’ Creed.  He knew the he had to join them he knew that he had to use what happened to him today to convince his church that just sitting around and watching the world die around them was going to end.

He stood up and walked back into his house and called Brennan Meyers. 

“Hello,” said Brennan.

With a tear and with a lot of anger Nathan replied, “I was wrong about you, Brennan and now I have paid the price.”

“Who is this?” asked Brennan.

“This is Nathan Dalton,” he replied.  “My father just got killed and it is my fault that this happened.  If I would have allowed you to utilize our talents in the church this wouldn’t have happened.”

“Oh my gosh!” yelled Brennan.  “I am coming over there right now!”

Just before Nathan could get another word in, Brennan hung up the phone and ran out to his car and sped off.

***

A few miles away, the mysterious van that the two figures got away in came to a stop in an abandoned factory parking lot.  The two figures got out.  One figure was a smallish dark completed woman and the other was a tall and very muscular male.  The woman’s upper arm opened up and she pulled out a radio.  She pressed the button.

“We have done it, Master,” she said.  “The politician is dead.”

“Good, Jack Attack,” said a deep and dark echoing voice, “you have done well.  However, there is one more thing that I need you to do for me.”

“Yes my master, anything I will do for you,” Jack Attack replied.

“In Indianapolis, there is a dead body in a morgue at the local hospital,” he replied.  “I have looked upon his body and have found out that he has secret powers that I desire. His name is Steven Goodykoontz.  I need you to retrieve his body and bring him back to me.  You can rebuild him and he will be your partner.”

“I can make him in my own image, Master?” she asked.

“Yes,” he replied.  “And you shall call him Death Charge.”

“Yes, my Master.”

She put the radio back into her arm.  The two figures got back into the van.  Instead of starting the engine, Jack Attack’s body changed.  She began to desynchronize herself, her cohort and the van and suddenly in a flashed and they disappeared.

In a flash of a second, they reappeared in a hospital parking lot in Indianapolis.  She took out the radio from her arm and pressed the button.

“Is this the hospital, Master?” she asked.

“Yes, my apprentice,” he replied.  “He is in the morgue.  You have to go alone, have your cohort stay in the van.  Only you can turn invisible.  Take his body and bring it back to me.”

“Yes, my Master.”

Jack Attack jumped out of the van and walked toward the hospital.  She turned invisible and entered the hospital and made her way toward the morgue.  She was confident that nobody could see her, however when she got to a door that opened up toward the hallway to the morgue, there were people standing around.  She could not open the door or she would be found out.  Instead, she produced a stun gun and shocked the two doctors.  They passed out and she went through the door and towards the morgue.

Down the hall was the morgue.  She walked slowly up to the door and entered.  There was a man working in here.  He was examining a body.  She walked up behind the man and reappeared and grabbed the man from behind and produced a gun from her hand. 

“I need a body,” Jack Attack demanded.  “His name is Steven Goodykoontz.”

The man panicked and began to cry.  He started to breathe deeply and began to hyperventilate.

“Calm down!” she yelled.  “I need to find his body, where is it?”

“O-over th-ther,” replied the man pointing to covered morgue shelves.  She turned her head and looked.  She found Steven’s name tag on the door.

“Thank you, sir,” she said.  “You have done well.”

“P-please don’t kill me!” yelled the man.

“Oops,” she said as she pulled the trigger and killed the man.  His body made a big thud as it hit the floor. 

She walked over towards the stacks and opened up the door and saw Steven’s body.  He was still pretty messed up.  However to her, it was a chance to use her art to bring him back to life.  She picked up the body and teleported back to the van.  She stuffed the body into the back of the van and they teleported again.

***

Brennan arrived at the ruined house of Gary Dalton just as the paramedics put the two bodies into different ambulances and as the police were questioning the neighbors.  Nathan was standing there still stunned and very angry.  Brennan stopped his car across the street and got out of his car and embraced Nathan.

“I am so sorry,” Brennan said. 

“No,” replied Nathan.  “I am sorry for being so vain.  I am sorry for not realizing this is what God wanted and just being so arrogant.”

“You are human, buddy.  You are far from perfect.”

“But look at what I did!  I caused the death of my parents.  I cannot live with myself anymore!”

Brennan put his hand on Nathan’s shoulder and replied, “I will help you.  I am your friend and I always will be.  No matter what happens, I am here for you.”

“Thank you, Brennan.  You are a good friend.”

Nathan smiled at Brennan.  Brennan stayed there with him until the police left.  He went home soon after and met with his wife.  Alanna heard about what had happened and was also distraught. 

“Is Gary and his wife dead?” she asked.

“Yes,” Brennan replied.

Alanna shook her head in disbelief.  She was very close to them and Gary was the only politician who really fully understood the super heroes and even helped fund Heroes’ Creed.  Now with him gone, half of his money will go to Nathan and half to Todd.  Todd is against Heroes’ Creed.  He has no super powers and he feels left out.  He is extremely jealous of his brother and he would never help Heroes’ Creed.

“What do we do now?” asked Alanna.  “With the money being split up, we may not be able to fund our programs for training up and coming heroes and we will have to shut down.”

“Don’t be so sure,” said Brennan.  “The church will fund us.  Nathan said that he will use what happened to convince the church to change their ways.  God is sending them a message and now the message is clear.  Instead of destroying Heroes’ Creed, it has now doubled!”

Alanna was excited.  She smiled.  Brennan picked up his phone and called Zach Cupp.  He answered the phone and when he heard the news, he was very excited.



© 2010 Steven Goodykoontz


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on March 12, 2010
Last Updated on March 22, 2010