Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Gothtini

 

I’m not sure where this story starts. Is it when I saw Niría awaken from the ice she was entrapped in? Is it when Aírin took over? Perhaps…I’ll start with the legend.

 

Of the battle between the forces of good and evil.

 

Let’s see…was it one hundred years ago? A thousand? A million? No, that last one’s silly. I’ll go with a thousand. Here goes.

 

A thousand years ago…there were 6 goddesses. One of sun, one of land, one of moon, one of water, one of fire, and one of ice. Using their powers, they maintained the earth. The sun goddess, Rashmi, filled it with light during the day. When she tired, Chantrea, goddess of the moon, would take her place and exude pale light, so that resting would be easy. Avani, goddess of land, raised vegetation, so that the animals may partake of it. Mayim, goddess of water, was life giving, allowing the animals and the plants to drink. Azar, goddess of fire, was opposite to Mayim. She was destructive, but she was careful only to destroy what needed to be. Finally, the youngest, Niría, the goddess of ice. There was nothing left for her to do. So she amused herself by freezing and unfreezing things. Even so, they were all happy, and no one was ever bored. Until one fateful day. Niría, curious as usual, was exploring. She found a dark cave, and decided to investigate. It was fortunate she could fly, for she would have surely given up had she walked. It seemed to go on forever, growing darker and darker. Beginning to feel fearful, (an emotion she hadn’t experienced before.) she was about to turn back, but she heard something. A voice. A light, male voice, calling out to her.

 

“Come closer dear Niría…please, come help me…” it breathed.

 

She tentatively stepped closer.

 

“Who are you?” she demanded.

 

“I have no name of my own…but please, help me, and we can find a name together…” it sounded helpless, almost afraid even.

 

She walked until she saw what he was speaking of. A dark creature, held down by chains, sat on the cave floor. He looked up at her, with colorless, sorrowful eyes.

 

“Help me…”

 

Before she knew what she was doing, she had formed an icicle, and shattered the chains. He stood up and brushed himself off.

“Thank you…” he said, touching the violet crystal on her forehead. Immediately, his eyes turned dark red, and his own crystal turned yellow. “Our colors are now opposites…” He said, pointing to her icy blue eyes.

 

“Why…why were you trapped here?” she asked uncertainly.

 

“That is of no importance…but because of your kindness; I shall name myself after you…Aírin. Your name spelled backwards…”

 

She could tell that he was avoiding her question, so she asked once again.

 

“Why were you trapped here?”

 

He merely smiled and walked around her. Curious, she followed. It seemed to take much less time for them to get back to entrance of the cave, than from when she came in.

 

“Ah…to feel the warm sunlight again…tell your sister I thank her for that.”

 

As if on cue, Rashmi landed in front of them. “Niría! What have you done?!” she shouted. Aírin smiled. “I asked her to help me, and she did.”

 

“Niría…he was trapped there for a reason…he’s evil…you didn’t know because you weren’t around then…but now you can help us take him back.” Rashmi said carefully, trying not to hurt the young goddess’s feelings. The other goddesses had surrounded them by this point. Chantrea yawned –being the moon goddess; she had been asleep- and looked at everyone.

 

“Back you go, demon.” Azar snapped.

 

“My name’s Aírin now.” He said calmly.

 

She rolled her eyes and lunged at him. He easily grabbed her throat, and held her up. “Last time you captured me, I was unprepared and weak. But ever since I’ve been there I’ve been planning. My children are waiting deep in the ground, ready to attack at my command. And, I can do this now…” he smiled and his hand glowed slightly. Azar’s eyes widened in shock, and then she yelped in pain. The other sisters could only watch in horror as she writhed in pain, and then finally went limp. Aírin released her, and she fell to the ground. They all immediately went to her side, except for Niría, whom was held back by Aírin.

 

“She’s…dead…” Mayim whispered, tears welling up.

 

They rose and glared at Niría. They were about to berate her, when they saw that she was sobbing uncontrollably.

 

“Shh…don’t cry…” Chantrea whispered, walking over to Niría. She got pushed back by Aírin.

 

“She’s mine now…you can’t touch her…”

 

“L-let her go!” Avani shouted, voice cracking.

 

He threw his head back and laughed, as the sky darkened.

 

“Watch, Niría…watch what you’ve brought onto this world…” he whispered in her ear, as black arms shot out from underneath the ground. Black creatures crawled their way up, and stood there, waiting for command.

 

“Kill them.” He said nearly absentmindedly, waving his hand. Niría screamed and ran forward, desperate to help her sisters. He grabbed her just below her shoulders, and held her in place.

 

“No, my dear…you get to watch…” he breathed.

 

She stared in horror, tears streaming down her cheeks, as her sisters were ruthlessly murdered.

 

“Aren’t you proud?” Aírin asked absently, releasing her and walking over to the bodies. She fell to her knees, and cried. Aírin drained the energy from the dying bodies and then walked back over to Niría. “Crying won’t help anything…” he mumbled.

 

“You…you killed them…you…monster…” she said, standing.

 

“Aw…and what are you going to do?” He smirked at her.

 

Her hands started glowing an icy blue color. He arched his brow slightly and watched. A light bluish shield circled the both of them. Tapping it, he found it to be thin ice. Feeling something cold near his feet, he looked down. Much to his horror, ice was crawling up his legs. He couldn’t break it, and looked up at Niría, horrified. The ice was crawling up her legs too…

 

‘She’s sacrificing herself to trap me…’

 

And that was his last thought, before the ice covered his vision.

 

That’s one of my favorite legends. I’d like to mention, they probably weren’t speaking English, but I thought I would make it easier. Some people say it’s just a myth, something made up to explain them. But others say, ‘Why would it be so specific then?’ And I know she’s out there…somewhere. I just have to find her



© 2008 Gothtini


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ZOMG I SO TOTALLY REMEMBER THIS!
THIS IS SO TOTALLY that one thing that we worked with =D *ZOMG SQUEAL* I shall keep reading this, or else >:3

Posted 15 Years Ago


A nice start, as Elemiah said. I don't think it would have been as nice without the very last part, the speaker saying his/her opinion. I fine first person unenjoyable for long pieces, but for this part right here it makes it nice. I thought it a little funny. The only thing I can see is that the legend doesn't sound too much like a legend would be told. Very much more like a story book than a legend, and I'm not sure which would be better. You might want to look into that. I'll try to keep an eye out for this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Interesting start...I'll have to keep an eye on this story, it seems like it could be very good. The 6 goddesses thing has definitely been done before, but hopefully you can make it interesting.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2008
Last Updated on May 20, 2008


Author

Gothtini
Gothtini

Writing
Tell me Tell me

A Poem by Gothtini