The Woman in Black.

The Woman in Black.

A Chapter by Grace

1. She often calls my name, my drunken mother. While I curl up into my bed sheets, the crisp, cold freshness of them tingling my spine. I shut my eyes tight, pray that she stops shouting me. Footsteps in the dark, becoming clearer to my ears, her bedroom door shuts. I sleep.

2. It's just one drink, I'm sure she doesn't mind, I've enjoyed my night, it's only midnight, it's not like it's a crime? I shout my daughter, but why does she never answer? Maybe I need to go to sleep.

3. I struggle understanding my mother, my mother struggles to listen. I can only sleep knowing my Mum is home, knowing she hadn't tried to take her life, or tried to find love in the wrong place at the wrong time.

4. I tried asking my daughter why she is so distant? She began to tell me, and I walked away, my voice raising in anger! How could she say such things? I am not a bad mother, she's just going through a phase.

5. "Talk to me sweetheart" "I am your mother, for you can not replace me" "I hate it here Mum, the smell of booze, the loneliness, for such a cosy house, why does it feel so cold?" "I need a life, you are getting older, I am not getting any younger, let me have fun, stop making me out to be a bad person" "You are not listening to me mother, why can you the not listen?"

6. My daughter has a mind of her own, she's just like her Dad. My mother treated me terribly, my daughter will never understand what hell is like. Why can't she just be happy?

7. You are a lonely woman Mum. You shout in the morning, because of the night before, we don't talk, I don't sleep. You think the worlds against you, just wake up.

8. You never tell me about school, why should I have to ask? If you're not happy here, just go. If you think I am such a bad mother, just say it.

9. I wish my Mum would come back to reality, spend time with me, love me. But she slips on her black floating dress, and slides into her red heels. "I won't be long" it echoes in my head, for I am in for a long, lonely night... Again.

10. I am happy, pub again, great company, warm crackling fire, the constant flow of drinks. My daughter will be fine, she will probably have some homework to do, I'll talk with her when I'm home.

11. I want my Dad, I'm lost, and lonely, my mind is running wild and I've never felt this dark and alone.

12. Gosh! Time is going quickly, maybe I'll stay out longer. This alcohol is helping me forget, I don't want to remember.

13. The TV which has been left on downstairs hums in my head. I find myself getting angrier and angrier, how am I going to carry on. My hand trembling, I push back my hair and sob. Slow steps down the stairs. In front of my eyes, the medicine cupboard and the half full vodka bottle. Bottle in my hand. Tablets in the other. It's just a headache. Back upstairs. Bed.

14. I am on my way home now, I can't wait to tell my daughter about the funny evening I've had. Unless she in one of her stupid moods again.

15. House drowns in silence. Key turns. She trembles in, wine stained lips. 15 steps up the stairs. She shouts me, I know she does, she does it every time.

16. I'm shouting her and again, there's no reply. My daughter never answers me. The house feels cold tonight, I really feel it. I check on my child. My poor poor child. She's gone, laid there. Then I realise I should have listened.


© 2016 Grace


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on February 26, 2016
Last Updated on February 26, 2016


Author

Grace
Grace

York, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
I simply just write as a hobby, but as opinions on my writing have built up, I decided to take a step forward and see what you think. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. I'm 16 years old, an.. more..

Writing
Rain Rain

A Chapter by Grace


11pm. 11pm.

A Chapter by Grace