Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by GreenTaurus

Chapter 1


Alice watched in silent amazement and horror as the man before her held the demon off with his sword. “Run girl!” The small brunette leapt to her feet and did as she was told, unable to do anything else. The demon killed the man and came after her, chasing her into the forest and towards the cliff. I’m doomed. Alice thought, staring down at the small river below and back at the enormous snake demon. I’m going to die. Tears began to stream down her face as the demon forced her towards the edge of the cliff. I don’t want to die!


“You don’t?” Alice turned around to face the cliff and saw a woman floating there. The world appeared monochrome, except for her. “Well, do you want to live or do you want to die?”


“I want to live!”


“Such strong will for a child. I quite admire that tenacity. All right then, let’s see if you are worthy enough of becoming my Champion.” The woman snapped her fingers and dual cutlasses appeared in front of Alice. Instantly, the woman vanished and time seemed to resume. Alice grabbed the swords and stood shakily, staring at the demon roaring in front of her. I-I have to kill it. The demon charged at the young girl, ready to finish her at last, and Alice’s grip on the swords tightened. She sliced through the snake’s monstrous jaws and straight through its body. The demon’s two halves writhed and tried to regenerate, but Alice wasn’t having any of that. The girl quickly turned and sliced through the demon’s hearts, causing its body to turn into ashes. “Well done, my Champion.” Alice couldn’t see the woman anywhere, but sheaths appeared around her waist and she put the swords in them.


“We heard the commotion! Are you all right?” A man asked as he lead a group of armed farmers towards the cliff, only to find that the demon was gone. “Where did it go?”


“I’m fine and it’s dead.”


“But how?”


“I killed it.” Alice breathed out, forcing herself to stand tall and confident, even though her hands were still trembling. The crowd parted like the Red Sea as she walked through and headed home, or at least, to what was left of her home.


OOOO


Shane scowled as the men laughed at him, not even allowing him through the palace gates to apply. “Trash like you doesn’t deserve to apply to be a guard.”


“B******s.” Shane growled, punching the wall and leaving a crater behind. “The only trash is you.” The men laughed him off as he left and headed back to the slums. Marie was waiting for him back at their home.


“Daddy!” The small girl ran over to him and hugged him, giggling as he picked her up and put her on his shoulders. “Daddy’s home!” Marie called into the house as they entered. Anya smiled at them and kissed Marie on the cheek. The blonde smiled at Shane and petted his head in-between his black panther ears.


“How did it go?”


“They didn’t even let me apply because I’m a Lacra.”


“Pathetic.” Anya growled, annoyed that they were denying her friend because of what he was.


“Mommy, how come you don’t kiss daddy like Lily’s mommy kisses her daddy?” Both teens froze and Anya chuckled nervously.


“Well...”


“I’m not your birth daddy, nor do I like women. I’m with your mother to help raise you because you are her daughter and she is my best friend.” Marie seemed satisfied with that answer and Shane put her down. “Let’s help your mom get ready for the market, shall we?”


“Yeah. I want to help sell potions today.”


“Sure.” Anya replied, relieved that the girl wasn’t upset, and the trio quickly packed up the vials of herbal remedies and headed out to the marketplace. The blackette watched with a smile as Anya and Marie began to sell the potions. His ears perked up and he looked up towards the sky. That sounds too big to be a bird.


“Run!” Shane yelled as the demon became visible. Anya grabbed Marie and began to run seconds before the rest of the marketplace’s occupants noticed it and began to panic. The castle guards began to run to meet the demon when it landed, and so did Shane. The demon landed on the archway of the marketplace and roared, spewing black flames into the sky, and the castle guards ran away in fear. Shane scoffed and jumped onto a rooftop. From there, he used as much of his strength as he could muster to propel himself into the air and at the demon. The demon’s screeching halted instantly as Shane kicked through its skull, landing on a rooftop on the opposite side of the archway. The corpse began to fall to the ground and a brunette came falling from the sky, slicing the demon in half. Both halves were instantly incinerated and the girl began to fall towards the ground. Before Alice could call for her pegasus to come catch her, a boy with black cat ears and a black cat tail appeared and caught her instead. They landed on the ground and the boy put her down. “Are you okay?” Shane asked and the girl nodded and they were instantly surrounded by castle guards and citizens.


“She’s a Champion.” The townsfolk whispered amongst themselves and the captain of the guards approached Alice.


“Very impressive ma’am. I didn’t know one as young as yourself could be a Champion, or that Champions were so strong. Allow me to escort you to the castle. Our king would love to meet you.” Alice’s stomach growled and the merchants immediately started pulling her around, offering her all of the food that she wanted. The brunette graciously accepted their offer and ate to her fill.


“That’s a lot of food.” Alice glanced up at the blackette and nodded.


“I have to eat a lot to keep up my strength. My magic feeds from my strength after all.”


“If you don’t have anywhere to stay while you’re in town, you can stay with us. We don’t have much, but you’re welcome.” Anya stated, smiling at the shorter girl, who smiled back at the offer.


“Maikoa’s Champion shouldn’t have to stay with a freak and slum trash. Come to the castle.” The captain said and Alice frowned and glared at him.


“I have no desire to go anywhere with someone who abandons their duty to protect the citizens in order to protect themselves. This Lacra killed the demon, which was your job.”


“He didn’t kill it. You did.”


“All I did was destroy its body so it wouldn’t hurt anyone. He killed it. What’s your name?”


“Shane. This is Anya and Marie.”


“My name is Alice.”


“Nice to meet you!” Marie yelled, smiling brightly up at the girl.


“Nice to meet you too.” Alice replied, smiling as well. “I’d like to help you sell your potions. May I, until it’s time to head back?”


“Sure.” Anya was surprised that the girl wanted to stay with them and help them, but she didn’t comment on it.


“You can’t just turn down an offer to the castle.” The captain said and Alice smirked.


“I can and I have.” Alice walked off with the small family back to their stall, not seeing the angry glare the captain sent towards them. Damn brats.



© 2013 GreenTaurus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on June 22, 2013
Last Updated on June 22, 2013


Author

GreenTaurus
GreenTaurus

Chicago, IL



About
I have been writing since I was little and I love writing so much. I just started putting my stories on different websites so people could actually read them. I hope you don't hate anything I put up. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by GreenTaurus