The Blakmore Inheritance Chapter One

The Blakmore Inheritance Chapter One

A Chapter by Ashley

Astor stood just inside the apartment door, her face empty of any emotion. Behind her, her Aunt and Uncle, two people she didn't even know existed a week before, stood waiting.
"Take your time, Sweetie." Olivia stepped forward to whisper, then stepped back to join her twin. "No hurry." She smiled gently.
Astor knew she meant well. She'd discovered the first day just how kind her Aunt was. She had greeted her like long lost sisters, then doted on her like a favorite Aunt would. She'd given her the perfect amount of space, while smothering her with love. Astor wanted to like her. And yet her mothers words followed every kind action like a grim reaper. Her father's family was strange. They weren't to be trusted.
"I'm going to take your bags down, Astor." Oliver nodded slightly, his gaze never meeting hers, then picked up her bags.
Astor watched him go for a moment, unsure if she should say thank you. She always felt as if he was waiting for her to say or do something. He'd barely spoken more than a sentence since they arrived and he never so much as shook her hand. The one time they had touched, he'd looked at her as if she were a shiny toy. He dissapeared down the stairs, leaving her and Olivia alone. She turned back to the small dingy apartment.
"Go ahead and cry if you need to, Astor. There's no shame in it." Olivia pat her shoulder. "It's a lot to take. You've been through so much." She pat her shoulder again, then dropped her hand uncertainly.
"Aunt Olivia."
"Yes?" She jumped forward, her arms open. "I'm right here. What do you need? Anything."
Astor grinned uncomfortably and wrapped her arms around herself. "If you don't mind... I'd like a moment alone... To say goodbye."
"Oh." She dropped her arms. "Of course. Yes. I understand. No worries. Go ahead." She nodded sympathetically, but made no motion to go."
"So could you go?"
'Me? Oh, yes. Of course." She grinned and slowly backed toward the stairs. "I'll just wait for you at the car shall I?"
Astor waited until she disapeared after her brother, before stepping into the apartment and shutting the door. She crossed the living room silently and slid in the only bedroom, closing that door behind her as well. Without pausing next to the bare bed frame, she slipped into the small closet and sank to the ground. She pulled her knees up to her chest and closed the closet door before crying.
A few moments later, she dried her eyes and climbed out of the closet to face Oliver. He stared at her a moment in silence, then glanced behind her into the closet. "Is... everything alright?" He whispered, his voice deep and gravely from little use. He cleared his throat, but said nothing else.
"Yes. I was just making sure I didn't leave anything behind."
"And did you?"
She opened her mouth to tell him yes, that she was leaving something behind. Someone that had been apart of her for so long, she was uncertain what to do without them. "No. I have everything."
He nodded and waved for her to lead the way. Without stopping, they left the apartment behind and hurried to the waiting car. Oliver pulled the door open for her, but before she climbed in, she caught the eyes of someone across the street.
"Can you give me one more minute?" Oliver nodded and headed around the car to climb in behind the wheel. Astor closed the door with a snap and rounded the car, as Andie crossed the street. "Andrea."
She shook her head, her eyes bloodshot. "I'm so sorry. I've ruined everything." Astor waited without a word, for her to dry her eyes. "I know you probably don't want to see me and I completely understand. I just... I wanted to let you know..." She sniffled and wiped her nose with her tissue. "Should you ever need anything. Anything at all. Just ask."
"Thank you." Astor quietly wrapped her in her arms. "I'll miss you."
"Call me. Number hasn't changed. Anytime." Astor nodded and moved to go back around the car. "Wait!" She reached in her bag and pulled out a brown sack. "Carl wanted me to give you this. It's from all of us down at the cafe. For the road."
Astor took the package with care and nodded. "Tell them-" She started, then stopped as tears threatened to spill. "Tell them I said thank you. Tell Carl... Tell him I appreciate everything he did for me. And that I hope I'll see them again."
Andie nodded, tears streaming freely. "Goodbye, Astor."
Astor smiled, then hurried around the car and climbed in. Without looking back, she left her life behind.
She placed the package in the seat beside her and faced the front. "How far did you say it was?"
"Zoar? It's about five hours. Why don't you rest your eyes." Olivia turned in her seat to face her. "We'll be there before you know it."
"Yeah. Sounds great." She shifted until she was comfortable and leaned her head against the door, before closing her eyes.
"Astor."
"Hm?" She opened her eyes to find the sky had grown dark and they were parked outside a large Victorian mansion. "Where are we? What happened?"
"You must have dozed off. You slept the entire way." Olivia smiled gently, before pulling her door open and helping her to her feet.
"Is this your house?"
"Our house?" She chuckled and shook her head. "No Sweetie. It's the Mayors house. Our house is much bigger than this." She smacked Astor's shoulder as if they had shared some joke, then led her up the stairs to the door.
"Where's Oliver?" She glanced over her shoulder to find him pacing nervously before the car. "Is he not coming?"
"No." Olivia's normally cheerful tone dropped to one of dissapointment. "Oliver doesn't join in on a lot of things he should. He doesn't understand that this is a moment for celebration." She slipped Astor's hand into the crook of her arm and knocked.
The door swung open almost immediately and they were greeted by a tall middle aged man, with salt and pepper hair. He stared down his long nose at them, before smiling. His mouth was full of perfectly lined, tiny white teeth that shined in the moonlight.
"Ah, Astor Blakmore!" He snatched her hand and shook it vigorously. "It is so lovely to meet you. I have been looking forward-"
"Grant."
His mouth snapped shut and he leaned forward to scrutinize her. "I beg your pardon?"
"My name. Astor Grant. Not Blakmore."
"Grant?" He grunted the name and grimaced in distaste. "I do not know any Grants. Do you know any Grants, Olivia?"
"Just the girl, Mr. Mayor."
"Hm." He looked her over once more, before frowning. "We have papers to sign, do we not?"
"Yes, sir."
"Come along then." He turned on his toes and marched toward the center of the house. "You may stay here, Astor. We have already drawn up the terms of your contract. It will only take a moment to sort it all out." He called over his shoulder, then disapeared into his office.
"My contract?"
"I'll explain later." Olivia whispered, then followed after him, shutting the door behind her.


© 2013 Ashley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
Added on March 29, 2013
Last Updated on March 29, 2013


Author

Ashley
Ashley

Beech Grove, IN



About
Single mother of two. Been writing for nearly twenty years. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ashley