Valentine's Day~Part 1

Valentine's Day~Part 1

A Story by Ray

I was drifting over to sleep when I heard his voice. It sounded just like a whisper, soft and gentle, and yet, ringing loud and clear in my head. I opened my eyes with a sharp intake of breath. He wasn't there, and I didn't know what I was thinking at that moment. He had long since been gone. I turned over on the couch and stared at the mute TV screen. A beautiful sunset, in a stranger world was disappearing into the dark. The tears swelled in my arms. Everything now reminded me of him, everything that had been my fondest dreams.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob was with his friends, laughing. I could see the brilliance of his teeth as I closed in on them. My idea was just of fluttering by my handsome boyfriend and leaving on afterwards. I smiled. I rather enjoyed the fact that he always was unaware of my presence.
" Whatever you are thinking Sassy, get it done quickly," Hannah told me, narrowing her eyes like my mother would do. Holly nodded, giggling.
" We've got to hurry up otherwise we'll miss the bus." I laughed at them both as they spoke out of breath. Jacob had his back to me, and Harry, one of his friends, saw me and just winked. I grinned my two rows of teeth and leaned forward over Jake who had his back to me, kissed his ear and skipped away. I heard him calling out. I turned around and just smiled, waving. From where I stood, turning away, I could see his twinkling blue eyes, and they were piercing right through me. His black hair were in short blending spikes. He just looked adorable, and I was looking forward to tonight, the fourteenth of February. He blew a kiss, and I turned away, and hit full into Greg. Greg was a tall guy, and every girl claimed he was cute. I didn't think as much. He wasn't exceptionally good looking. His jaw was flat, and there always seemed to be a muscle bulging out. His eyes were two brown dots, and his hair was brushed backwards and looked shiny. He was on the rugby team with Jacob, and I knew he hated Jake for he was the captain.
" Sorry," I mumbled, pulling myself out of the way. However, as I moved eyes cast downwards, he caught my arm.
" We could get together sometime Sass, no ? Or am I so much worse than Jacob Gibbs ?" there was great sarcasm in his voice. I flashed up angry eyes.
" Shut up Greg, you don't get a chance." I will always regret these words which made of the day my worst Valentine ever.
" Don't I ?" his eyes lit up dangerously. He was still holding my arm, and I tried to move away, but he pulled me toward the center of the basketball court. We were still on school grounds, and a lot of teens were still around. His friends, which had been watching from afar came in too to surround us. Everything then happened very fast. Holly and Hannah called out to me, Greg force me against him and that's when Jacib came in. He came in real fast, like he always did. He grabbed my arm and yanked me backwards and I fell backwards but caught myself with my arms as Jake ran head first at Greg and hit him full in the stomach. Some people started gathering around, but not too close. They just stared and didn't do anything. Some of the most ridiculous freshmans were cheering, but that's jsut because they didn't know how a fight could end, especially between two strong rugby players. Jacob was shorter than Greg, but as strong. I got back on my feet.
" Jacob, stop !" he was about to hit Greg in the face with his fist as I shouted the words. Greg was lying on his back, and Jake had him pinned. Jake came to his feet and wiped his hands on his jeans.
" You stay away from us," he spat. Greg stood up as he spoke and I came between them, facing Jake. He looked back at me, a very intense glance, and I could tell he'd been hurt too, though he would not tell it. However, this fight wasn't over. No matter what I ever did, I was the problem, and I was in their way.
" This isn't over Gibbs," Greg snarled. He gripped my arm, whirled me around, and slapped me. And before I could do anything, he through me hard on the ground. My head hit the pavement hard, and it began to spin. Pain shot through my back. Something trickled on my skull. I groaned and everything went black.
_______________________________________________________________________________

I was sitting on the sofa when the phone rang. I glanced at the number. My vision wasn't clear enough to make out the small screen writing.
" Hello," I ran a hand through my hair. I felt so weak and tired.
" Hey Sarah, it's dad," I recognized the voice as soon as it said 'hey'. I broke down as he spoke, and the tears streamed on my face. He heard me sobbing on the other side and sighed.
" There now kid, your mother's coming home tonight. She should be back soon," he said gently. His words only aggravated everything. Mom and I never got along.
" I don't care, " I yelled at the receiver. " I want to be left alone, I don't want to talk to anyone !" I clamped down the phone. Then, in a gesture of frustration and despair, I turned over the small table, and it broke along with the phone as it fell. Soon I found myself kneeling low over the floor calling out his name in gasping sobs.
________________________________________________________________________________

I woke up in the school's infirmery. Hannah was next to me, looking pained. When she saw my gaze on her, she forced on a smile. I always knew she couldn't have been an actress, no matter how much she wanted to be.
" Do I look awful ?" I wondered, vaguely returning her smile. I felt nauseous, tired and there was pain in my back.
" Not that much," she replied. She averted her eyes, and looked up as I, when the nurse came in.
" How are you feeling, darling ?" she asked, sitting on the bed beside me.
" Sick," I said, keeping my eyes on the flushed Hannah.
" Get some rest," she left afterwards. Everything started flooding back in, the fight, Jacob, Greg...
" How's Jake ?" I questionned Hannah. She looked at me with dull eyes.
" I'm not sure you should know right now," she whispered.
" What do you mean ?" I sat up abruptly, panick seizing me. " What happened to Jake ?"
" Sass, I'm not sure--"
" Spit it out Hannah," I snarled. She spoke then, she spoke quickly, almost too quickly for me to understand her, but I did.
" Jake's at the hospital. Figures Greg had a knife and he stabbed Jake more than once, and then--" I never heard the end, because before I could will it myself, I was on my feet and running down the school hallways. I heard voices calling out after me, but I couldn't stop, not now. I ran across the school grounds, and some remaining kids stared at me as I sprinted past. I was on the track team, no one would catch me. I ran over the road, tires screeching a car stopped right before me, but I didn't care. The hospital, I had to get to the hospital. That was down the Turner Road. Some way further. I ran with all my strength. Everything depended of it. My life, his life.

© 2012 Ray


Author's Note

Ray
I'm not finished yet !

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Brilliant! Please, please write more! I must know what happens next!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
1 Review
Added on February 14, 2012
Last Updated on April 5, 2012

Author

Ray
Ray

About
"Let us remember: one book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world." - Malala Yousafzai "To hold a pen is to be at war." - Voltaire "The pen is mightier than the sword." - E.. more..

Writing
Being Being

A Poem by Ray


The Wind The Wind

A Story by Ray


Take a look Take a look

A Story by Ray