Introduction~Kindred Spirits

Introduction~Kindred Spirits

A Story by Ray
"

Gilan is sent off to Vietnam in 1969 at age eighteen...

"
March 1970

That's what I keep hoping all the time, that I could go back and change everything that has happened since the beginning. Like leaving my parents, running out west, never saying how I felt about Jude, not hiding with everyone to escape this horrible war. It's like they did it on purpose. Choosing all the young ones, and the old ones stay behind, watching us all die. I wonder what Jude thinks back home when scenes of the devastation flashes on the screen. She's the only one who writes letters to me, and I like them a lot, because they don't contain any "love stuff" in it. She's not that type of girl. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night, catching a glimpse of something golden, and thinking it's her sleek, shiny hair. But then I see it's Cedric's watch, and it's all I can do to keep from breaking down. I remember her face exactly when I left her. I could tell she was surpressing tears, still, she's strong, and I saw not one slip down her cheek when I held her close as a goodbye. I know there's not much hope I'll go home, everyone who's under twenty has very little chance of making it back either in one piece, or with living breath. Every day, one of my mates' gone down, and there's no way we can send them back or give them a proper burial. I hate this place. My mother never writes to me, or nearly. My father never wrote one single word, and she doesn't talk about him in her rare letters. I guess he tills hasn't forgiven me when three years back I ran away. I have to admit I never gave them word about me. I'm just constantly hoping, constantly hoping, but for what ? For a better life ? For the war to end ? Probably, but I'm not really sure anymore : ending the war means I lose some dear friends I've met, losing it is my death. I guess I'm still hoping there was a way to change the pass, and if only a new, greater Einstein could appear and give the solution....

© 2012 Ray


Author's Note

Ray
This is a sort of extract you could say from a book I am attempting to write. I'm writing the story by hand, and as soon as I can, it will be up here (or at least part of it).

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love historical fictions like this. You've started so perfectly, keep going! I can't wait to see how this plays out for your character and his friends!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Added on March 12, 2012
Last Updated on March 12, 2012

Author

Ray
Ray

About
"Let us remember: one book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world." - Malala Yousafzai "To hold a pen is to be at war." - Voltaire "The pen is mightier than the sword." - E.. more..

Writing
Being Being

A Poem by Ray


The Wind The Wind

A Story by Ray


Take a look Take a look

A Story by Ray