Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Reeling and Writhing

Fay was sitting on the bed in her room with her face in her hands. She was still wearing her black department store uniform, not having given herself the time or energy to change. She had rushed home as soon as she got the text from Edward. It was the first time they’d texted in two years. They could have if they wanted to any time they wanted, but it just felt like pretending that each other were there. It almost seemed like a fantasy seeing his name on her phone again. Fay had dreamed about it so many times�"designing scenarios, conversations, even the clothes that she was wearing. To receive the text in the middle of a store meeting in her ragged uniform while she was coming down with a cold�"it didn’t seem real.

She opened her phone to read the message again�"the third time she’d done that within the minute. Hi, Fay, the texts read under the name ED with two hearts on either side. I’m back in Hillborough. I’d love to see you again. The old house at five?

I’ll be there, and then a heart was all Fay sent back. She worried that Edward might think she was angry at him from the lack of expression, or maybe he was angry at her. It had been four years apart. Outside, the sun was shining, but the wind was there blowing around flower petals from the big tree in the front yard. It had been planted there a few months after Edward left. So many things had happened in the last three years. Everything would look so different to him.

Fay finally heard the doorbell ring, and she started to head up the stairs. She stopped halfway. Her parents were there already, inviting Edward inside and asking him how he’d been. They hadn’t changed a bit since he left. Fay only caught glimpses of him through her parents. He was wearing a blue hoodie with his college’s logo on it. He had a scruffy beard, and his hair was shorter. A line of wrinkles across his nose had developed. He had grown into a man. Even so, it was still so undoubtedly Edward standing in the doorway. He could be a hundred years old and Fay would recognize him. She looked different too. She had grown out of her phase and started wearing colours again since he left, and her hair was now long and light blond. She wondered if he could recognize her. Suddenly, he noticed her, and he froze.

Their eyes connecting was the hammer that shattered the dam and let all of the memories flood back to her. Suddenly, her legs carried her up the stairs and across the room, past her parents. She floated until she was inches in front of him, and she threw her arms around him. She was hoping like hell, but she wasn’t expecting the hug to be reciprocated. Her heart struck her ribcage and rose in her chest when she felt his arms around her again and his kiss on her forehead. It felt so familiar.

“I missed you so much, Ed,” Fay said. She tried to hide the trembling in her voice by cutting herself off, but he still understood. She felt him stroke her hair from behind. She remembered that feeling.

Edward smiled, “I missed you too.” Fay looked up from the crook of his shoulder and he took his cue to kiss her. He remembered her having her accent for most of her life, so it being completely gone was a mild surprise. Other than that, she hadn’t changed a bit. She was still his Fay. Behind them, her parents silently bowed out up the stairs leaving the two at the doorway.

“So, want to grab some food?” Edward asked.

Fay laughed almost too loudly. “You didn’t forget me at all.”

“Is Gil’s still operating?”

“Yeah, it is.” Fay said. “Let me go get changed.”




© 2018 Reeling and Writhing


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on September 12, 2018
Last Updated on September 12, 2018
Tags: drama, love, hatred, revenge, crime


Author

Reeling and Writhing
Reeling and Writhing

Calgary, Alberta, Canada



About
Most anyone you come across on the street will be able to tell you at least a general synopsis of Lewis Carroll's 1860's children's story, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". It's a cultural and liter.. more..

Writing