Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Haley C

I watched her leave with Caleb and sat down on my desk. Why does she think she can talk to me that way? All I’ve been trying to do is help her and she thinks she can insult me? Yell at me? I put my head in my hands and sighed. I don’t know what this girl has done to me but it’s something. I hopped off my desk and packed all of my stuff, throwing my bag over my shoulder. I left the room and locked the door behind me.

                “Mr. Martin?” I heard my name and turned around. Ella was standing there with her hand on her hip. “Leave her alone.”

                “Excuse me Ella?” I said, crossing my arms.

                “You heard me. She’s totally in love with you and you’re sending her completely mixed signals. She’s dating Caleb now so she can get over you. Let her get over you.” I scratched my head and sighed through my nose.

                “I don’t know what you’re talking about Ella.” Even though I do. I’ve always known she’s had a crush on me since the beginning of the year and I’ve, frankly, found it adorable. Not that I can do anything about it but it’s cute to know I have that effect on a student.

                “Yes you do. Just leave her alone. Don’t keep at her. Let her be.” She blew past me and walked around the corner to the stairs. I started walking to the staircase when I found a phone on the floor. I picked it up and examined it, pressing the home button. A picture of Ashlee and Caleb showed up so I assumed it was her phone and stuck it in my pocket. I walked outside to my car and got in, putting the keys in the ignition. I started her up and pulled out of the parking lot, getting onto the main street. In my ten minute commute, I thought about how I’ve been acting lately and realized it was wrong. I entered my house and was greeted by Lyle.

                “Hi kitty. Do you want your food?” I asked him, walking into the kitchen with him “mewing” and trailing right behind me. I grabbed his dish and his favorite can of wet food, popping the lid open. He hopped up on his counter and “mewed” at me. “I know, give me a second.” I emptied the contents of the can into the dish and set it down for him. He happily started eating when my phone started ringing. I walked over to the wall, took the phone off the hook, and put it to my ear. “Hello?”

                “Mikey!” I hear my sister say through the phone. “How did it go with that lady you wanted to be seeing?” I groaned and dropped my head. “Not so good huh?”

                “No. She started seeing someone else. Which is probably a good thing.” I walked over to my couch and sat down.

                “Why? It’s not like she’s a student of yours right?” I was silent. “Michael. She isn’t right?”

                “It’s not like I fell for her on purpose!”

                “Michael! That’s illegal! How old is she and what grade?”

                “She’s seventeen and she’s a junior. She just turned seventeen over break.” I fell into the back of my couch.

                “Mikey…you didn’t do anything did you?”

                “No! I swear I didn’t. She shut it down quickly.” My sister gasped on the other end. “Sarah! What I meant was that she felt the same but she’s trying to get over it.”

                “I am so confused.” She said. “I’m coming over.”

                “No Sarah-“She interrupted me.

                “I’m coming over and I’m bringing coffee. Make dinner. I’ll be there in twenty minutes.” She hung up before I got a chance to argue it. I set my phone down on the coffee table and went into the kitchen to find something to cook. The phone in my pocket buzzed and I pulled it out. A message from Caleb popped up on the screen.

Caleb: So, what was up with the teacher today? He seemed like he had a huge stick up his butt.

I rolled my eyes and put the phone back in my pocket. I went back and grabbed my house phone, dialing the number for the local pizza place. I ordered two large pepperoni and bacon pizzas and went to find my work bag. When I found it, I went into my office and pulled out the papers to start grading them. Ashlee’s paper was right on top and there was a note written in the corner of it. I know how you feel Mr. Martin… I feel the exact same way but we can’t do anything about it. I’m sorry. I threw the papers across the room and ran my hands through my hair. The doorbell rang and I got up, walking over to the door. I paid for the pizza quickly and took it into the kitchen. “Mikey?” I heard Sarah say.

                “Kitchen!” I said, setting the pizzas down. I opened the two boxes and got papers plates.

                “Really Mike? Pizza?” She said, sitting down at the island. “You were too lazy to cook something?”

                “Hey, you try teaching high schoolers all day and see how you feel afterwards. Why are you here again?” I knew why she was here, I just didn’t really feel like talking about it.

                “The girl? What’s her name?” I took two pieces out of one of the boxes and set it down on the plate, sliding it over to her.

                “Ashlee.” She took a bite of the pizza and nodded. “She’s a really great girl. She’s smart and bright and funny. She’s everything I’ve ever wanted in a girl but I can’t have her.”

                “She’s seventeen, that’s not okay. You’re twenty-three. You need to get over her.”  

                “But I can’t. Don’t you think I’ve tried? She’s been in my class for two years. I see her every day. When she’s absent, I wonder if she’s okay and I freak out all day. I just want to get to know her more and be with her.” I sat down and but my head in my hands.

                “Transfer her out of your class.”

                “No. I’m not going to do that to her. She’s used to this class and she would have to learn a whole new curriculum. It’s not fair to her.” I got up and walked to the fridge. I opened the fridge door, looked around for a drink, got frustrated and slammed the door. “I don’t know why this had to happen!”

                “Calm down dude! It’s not like you meant for it to happen. Come sit and shove pizza in your face.” I sat down on the barstool and my butt buzzed. “Is that your phone?” I pulled it out of my pocket and looked at the screen.

Caleb: Why are you ignoring me? L

“Why do you have a student’s phone?” She asked, taking it from me.

                “I found it on the floor. I know whose it is and I’m going to return it to them tomorrow.” She figured out how to unlock the phone and opened the messages.

                “Is this Ashlee’s?” I nodded and grabbed another piece of pizza. “Whoa then.” I tried looking at the phone but she wouldn’t let me. “You don’t want to see it.” I snatched the phone from her and read the messages between her and Ella.

Ella: Are you sure?

Ashlee: I’m pretty positive. Why else would he be freaking out on us?

Ella: Because you two were going to make out in the hall and he’s a teacher?

Ashlee: He’s freaking out in a different way… Almost like he’s hurt.

Ella: I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Ashlee: I think he likes me Ella..

Ella: But what about Caleb?

Ashlee: If he’s interested in me, I want him. I’ve been in love with him for two years. Caleb is nice but he’s not really my type. I want to be with Michael.

Ella: How would you keep it a secret though?

                That was the last message. I’m assuming she lost her phone after that. “Michael… I swear, if you pursue this-“

                “She wants to be with me. This is going to happen Sarah.” She face-palmed her forehead and groaned.

                “How are you going to keep this hidden? It’s not like you guys can go out for dinner or do stuff in public. You could lose your job Michael. Isn’t that important to you? You’re going to throw EVERYTHING away for a teenager?” I looked at her and narrowed my eyes. “I’m being serious Michael. Don’t do this.” She got up and walked to the door, opening it. “Promise me.”

                “I can’t promise anything Sarah. I really can’t.” She shook her head and left, shutting the door behind her. I ran upstairs and changed into my shorts and tank top. I climbed into bed and shut the light off. I need tomorrow to get here quickly. 



© 2015 Haley C


Author's Note

Haley C
Please let me know if I write like a potato or not! xD (inside joke) But leave criticial feedback please :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on May 18, 2015
Last Updated on May 18, 2015


Author

Haley C
Haley C

Northfield, VT



About
My name is Haley, my friends call me Hal. I like to write stories and sometimes poems but I am self concious sometimes. Blah blah blah haha you'll know me better once you read my stories and poems. I .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Haley C


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Haley C