The White Butterfly

The White Butterfly

A Story by Hamkar
"

Flitting around, the white butterfly is in her shadow.

"

The White Butterfly

 

Her eyes flickered, life grabbing at the edges of

 the drain. He leaned forward over the body of Ava, and kissed her, his lips only barely connecting hers. True loves first kiss. Life clambered back into Ava's soul in the last few seconds, while the death slinked into his body. Death wasn’t an enemy anymore for her, only the death of others. She had noticed that a small white butterfly was near flitting over his finger. White for peace, Ava hoped. Ava also noticed that death didn’t make her flinch anymore, only a feeling of nothingness.

 

Just another death, pain can’t get worse now, if only... He wouldn’t have died for me... Maybe he made me immortal?  But mortal feelings still surround me... But I keep living through all this death... Knowing is more harsh then maybe sometime distant. I’ll never see him... I’ll never see him again...  Never for eternity will I see him. Eternity should be white. White should be peace. Peace isn’t me. He died for me and I can’t repay him except live my live for him...  I shall not die. Not until I am ready.

 

Ready would come when life was lived. This was third time lucky for Ava. Or not. Third time most lived. Fulfilled. Pained. Joyous, if she learned. Life is made of decisions. If only Ava chooses. She could become a wise one, like the wind, or that white butterfly, who had also lived through those deaths.

 

Ava called the town’s children her own. As an elderly now she knew what she had to do, the white butterfly always in the shadow. Life had been lived and the last apricot had shriveled.

 

“My children I’ve taught you my knowledge and myself, which is all I can do. You now need to teach yourself your knowledge. Good luck” With those words she left. The closer she was to the clearing the younger she appeared.

 

The breeze coloured her hair until it was a deep black, the moon shone down onto her skin, which was slowly becoming smooth and youthful. She lay down and closed her eyes, something landing on her cheek. Something light. Something fluttery. Something peaceful. The white butterfly folded its wings.

 

“I know who you are now” Ava smiled at the thought, sliding to join her lover for eternity and beyond. She had lived her life, and now she was ready.

© 2010 Hamkar


Author's Note

Hamkar
Thanks to Emily Leanne for helping me with the ending. I hope this is a better version.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked it. I made a personal connection because we had something sort of similar happen in my family.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was totally amazing. It was so cute. I'm glad that she didn't decide to kill herself because she didn't have him. Instead, she decided to live fully. That made it all the better

Posted 13 Years Ago


cute story

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is a really nice story, I agree with jamesmiles it read very smooth.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


"He died for me and I can’t repay him except live my live for him... I shall not die. Not until I am ready."
..i really like the second paragraph-
it reads so smoothly:-)
and this..." Life is made of decisions."-so true:-)
wonderful story!!!

james:-)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think it need a little more in the end but other then that it's fantastic. I like how the butterfly is sybolizing(Sp?) death and peace at the same time.

~ Love Emily

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

584 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2010
Last Updated on July 19, 2010
Previous Versions

Author

Hamkar
Hamkar

Nelson, New Zealand



About
Hi, I'm Hamkar. I like reading and writing. I think Juicy Writing is the best writing help I've seen so far. I lived in France for ten months. I can speak a bit of French. I think it is fun.. more..

Writing
Playground Playground

A Story by Hamkar


An Eyeful An Eyeful

A Poem by Hamkar



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..